Can you provide some evidence for this claim?

by Larry, Enemy Territory, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 14:51 (2552 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

I have not resided in Indiana since 2010, so perhaps I am missing something. I researched your claim and found this excerpt from NPR, which attributes the HIV outbreak to opioid addiction and needle sharing:

"Pence drew criticism from local and national infectious disease experts for his response to an urgent health crisis in Indiana. In February of 2015, the state reported an outbreak of HIV in Scott County, blamed on opioid addiction and needle sharing.

It got so bad — growing to more than 80 cases in the month after the announcement, and more than 190 to date — that the CDC went to Indiana to investigate, and public health experts began calling for a needle exchange. At the time, syringe exchanges were illegal in the state, and Pence was opposed to changing that, at first.

He later signed an emergency declaration allowing Scott County to start a needle exchange program. Rather than legalize such exchanges statewide, Pence signed a bill that forces counties to ask permission to start a needle exchange.

Only a few counties have done it, so far, because the process takes a lot of planning, local support and money, which the state doesn't provide, says Carrie Lawrence, a researcher with the Rural Center for AIDS/STD Prevention.

"If you're the health department with only two part-time staff, and a full-time health director, who's going to do this, and when is it going to happen?" Lawrence says."

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/07/21/486771345/as-indiana-governor-mike-...

---------------------------------

Are you saying that the dearth of syringe exchanges was the cause of the HIV outbreak?

Complete thread: