My personal standard is "WWTD" ...

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 12:07 (2552 days ago) @ Slainte Joe

What Would Ted Do? Perform a social/political/personal statistical analysis of all commencement speakers during the time between Fr. Ted becoming President through his death (because I have to think he played a role in all such decisions even as President Emeritus). Would a particular speaker fall within that spectrum? If so, then they are acceptable as a commencement speaker, as far as I'm concerned.

And although JN makes very good points about why Pence's policies are reprehensible, I think he probably would have made the cut under Fr. Ted. I don't agree with him on the vast majority of issues -- certainly not any social issues -- but I think he passes the test. Honestly, my biggest beef with Pence as a commencement speaker is that, based on his remarks at Fr. Ted's "funeral" at the JACC, he's a crappy speaker.

Trump would not, for reasons more personal and social than political. There's a line where "respect the office" stops and "consider the person in that office" starts. That particular office deserves a massive amount of latitude -- I would have been fine with anyone between Nixon and Clinton speaking at Commencement. Trump falls waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay outside that particular bell curve.

Complete thread: