what Riggs said at the time

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, May 19, 2015, 10:54 (3287 days ago) @ Pete
edited by Jay, Tuesday, May 19, 2015, 10:59

I understand they're not the same guys, but the motivations here are very different.

-----------

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021914aad.html

"I am very thankful for this opportunity," said Riggs. "I fully intend to make the most of this opportunity by not only giving my absolute best effort, but also leading by example both on and off the field.

"Being on campus, meeting with the academic personnel and interacting with the Notre Dame players helped me dot the I's and cross the T's on what has been the toughest decision of my life. I am excited about working hard in the classroom and expanding my professional network in pursuit of a graduate degree from Notre Dame. I am equally excited to contribute on the field and make some big plays to help the team win games."

and

http://ndsmcobserver.com/2014/09/cody-riggs/

“It was an opportunity for me — before I even knew I was coming to Notre Dame — to do my fifth year elsewhere. I had been in [the Florida] program for four years. I thought about leaving and going into the [NFL] draft last year, but I said, ‘I’m gonna go somewhere else and do my fifth year and get a Master’s somewhere else, and finish my college career.’”

Riggs is studying business management at Notre Dame, with the aspirations of possibly starting or working for a non-profit organization, he said.

“I wanted to either own a non-profit one day, hopefully, if I’m playing that long,” Riggs said. “Or I wouldn’t mind working for one, whether it be in a position of operations or programming.”

Riggs said it was not easy for him to leave Florida, but he made the decision with his life after football in mind.

“I wouldn’t say I had regrets leaving Florida, but I have always felt bad about it,” Riggs said. “Just the fact that I had to leave a situation where I was a starter and the coaching staff was depending on me to be a leader. Of course I feel bad about that, but I explained to them that this decision was best for me. Some people may look at it as a selfish decision, but it was something that was the best for my future.

“[My Master’s degree] is very important. It allows me to have something to do after football. I always like staying busy, and it means a lot to have something to fall back on after I’m done playing football.”

Complete thread: