Dumb moves at work?

by nedhead, Tuesday, July 09, 2019, 23:01 (1775 days ago)

I'm on a work trip in Pasadena for a 1.5 day meeting on Wednesday and Thursday, on something that I consider an important part of my work life. So today at 2pm, I'm just hanging out in a visitor office elsewhere when I get an email from someone asking me how a discussion went this morning. Turns out, I flew across an ocean and got the fucking days wrong. And now I feel like I should share.

How about you all? This group must be talented at something. Make me feel like less of an idiot.

Aren't you still wanted for jaywalking?

by Mike (Embrey), Mountain Holler, Friday, July 12, 2019, 20:45 (1772 days ago) @ nedhead

- No text -

Probably?

by nedhead, Sunday, July 14, 2019, 13:28 (1770 days ago) @ Mike (Embrey)

- No text -

Not at work, but in an interview

by Jack @, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 10:43 (1774 days ago) @ nedhead

I told the interviewer that I wasn't very good at my job.

I didn't get an offer, do you believe it?

I told an interviewer I had no interest in 50% of their work

by Pat, in the cloud, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 11:22 (1774 days ago) @ Jack

I did get the job, took it, and was placed on a team working on the other 50%.

In retrospect they must have been very desperate for bodies. Or maybe the guy just thought my blunt honesty was refreshing.

Post law school job interviews.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 13:21 (1774 days ago) @ Pat
edited by Grantland, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 13:56

I scheduled a few on campus with a large (Atlanta and Charlotte) firms but found out (after it was too late to cancel the interviews) that I had the job I wanted. I thought I better attend the interviews anyway since too late to cancel.

Two 25 year old or so nice looking girls interviewed me (I was 34 and had been a manager at PriceWaterhouseCoopers before I went to law school) and it was one of those (sort of) tough interviews with pointed questions.

They really rubbed me the wrong way and asked me in a condescending manner why they should hire me.

I was cordial enough and gave them the regurge answer but when they asked me if I had any questions I asked, "Why the fuck is your firm good enough for me?"

That was before I met the nice priest. I did not get called back.

I had to email Jim about a minor design issue

by Jamie @, Northern IL by way of PA, AZ, NC, & CA, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 10:32 (1774 days ago) @ nedhead

Did I email Jim, the designer? Nope. I emailed Jim, the 2nd in command for the entire client's organization. That Jim decided to call an all-hands meeting to resolve the matter. About 5 minutes into the meeting, it became apparent that the issue was very minor, and he asked why he was brought into something so small.

Things got better from there and by the end of the project I was on good terms with both Jims.

I now spend a focused moment staring at the To: field before sending any email.

I quoted Office Space...

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 10:29 (1774 days ago) @ nedhead

During an all-hands company meeting which was meant to help "boost morale" and sort of rally the troops.

At one point, I said - so that everyone could hear - "It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

See, the room felt tense. I was trying to make folks laugh.

Apparently the CEO hadn't seen the movie?

I was young and dumb. I was also "laid off" the next week.

--
Sometimes I rhyme slow sometimes I rhyme quick.

I watched Office Space with my parents

by Jeff (BGS) @, A starter home in suburban Tempe, Friday, July 12, 2019, 20:39 (1772 days ago) @ domer.mq

I’d forgotten about the “O face” and “Lumbergh fucked her” scenes. My folks are pretty conservative, but never said anything. I was... uncomfortable.

--
At night, the ice weasels come.

Yeah, I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday

by Jack @, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 10:40 (1774 days ago) @ domer.mq

- No text -

The first story I ever wrote at the South Bend Trib

by Coach Gillespie @, Omaha, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 09:57 (1774 days ago) @ nedhead

My first assignment as a summer intern was to preview the Marshall County Blueberry Parade.

The organizer mentioned that a man named Chuck Yeager would be the grand marshal. Without clarifying, I wrote "Chuck Yeager, the first pilot to break the sound barrier, will be grand marshal of this year's Blueberry Festival Parade."

The next day, a very amused Blueberry Festival organizer called to let me know that their grand marshal was not, in fact, the famous Chuck Yeager. My editor was not as amused.

flying out of Chicago to get home for Christmas

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 09:33 (1774 days ago) @ nedhead

Busiest flying day of the year. Try to check in at the kiosk. Record isn’t coming up. Wait in mile long line to get to the counter. “Your goddam machines are broken,” I say. “I better not miss my goddam flight.” Give her my flight number.

“Sir, this is Midway. Your flight is out of O’Hare.”

A real Edie McClurg moment.

I did that for your bachelor party

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 10:15 (1774 days ago) @ Jay

Showed up to Burbank instead of LAX because the previous weekend I had flown to Vegas out of Burbank.

At least I could still hop in the car and drive to Vegas.

Pre-work goof up

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 09:11 (1774 days ago) @ nedhead

I went to two (2) separate interviews for jobs after graduation that took place on campus at ND on two (2) separate days and at both (2!) interviews my fly was down.

I hope you at least get Pie & Burger out of the trip

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 07:27 (1774 days ago) @ nedhead

- No text -

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

Amazingly I've never eaten there.

by nedhead, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 09:11 (1774 days ago) @ Greg

- No text -

It won't change your life

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 09:47 (1774 days ago) @ nedhead

But it's damned good.

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

I once argued an entire bond hearing

by Chris (HCC) @, Paradise, Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 06:40 (1774 days ago) @ nedhead

with the wrong defendant. In my defense, the dude had the EXACT same name as another guy who was active in the system(and it wasn't a common name at all) and looked similar. They were not related. The judge thought the guy was someone else entirely as well. The whole thing eventually devolved into a "Who's on First" bit that lasted WAAAY too long.