Where the Streets Have No Name is an amazing song live

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Monday, May 22, 2017, 09:51 (2553 days ago)

It is slightly less in-your-face but somehow still very powerful when you hear it -- every bass note, the guitar riff, and even singing -- from your front porch roughly 4 miles to the east of the Rose Bowl.

Something must have been in the wind last night, because we heard almost nothing on Saturday. But last night we caught portions of Sunday Bloody Sunday, which was cool. And then WtSHNN, which led us to play the Joshua Tree album in the car when I drove the kids to school today.

And then we didn't hear much more the rest of the night. Still, glad we heard that one.

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

O-music-T: LCD Soundsystem

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 06:19 (2552 days ago) @ Greg

They've dropped two new songs, and they're friggin great. Didn't skip a beat.

fun set on SNL a few weeks ago

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 11:20 (2552 days ago) @ KGB

- No text -

They would actually be a great opener for U2.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 06:37 (2551 days ago) @ Jay

Several orders of magnitude better than the tripe passed off on the current tour.

I am indescribably giddy at being able to participate in a

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Monday, May 22, 2017, 14:19 (2553 days ago) @ Greg

music thread on this board.

Couldn't name a song by any artist more than 2 lines down on the Lolla lineup this year.

I had no idea they were even in town

by ndbk32 @, Los Angeles, Monday, May 22, 2017, 10:21 (2553 days ago) @ Greg

And I spent all last Thursday listening to the Joshua Tree. This is confirmation I have two kids under 3.

Going to see them in Louisville next month.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Monday, May 22, 2017, 10:06 (2553 days ago) @ Greg
edited by KGB, Monday, May 22, 2017, 10:19

And although I haven't particularly given a damn about any album they've released in 15 years, I've never seen them live before so I'm amped for it. My impression is that no one puts on a full-boat stadium show like U2, and that includes the sound quality, which I believe your comment attests to.

Related (in the sense that they're from a similar time and currently touring), I saw Pixies a couple weeks back and they sounded really REALLY good. It was 90-100 minutes of uninterrupted music without so much as a "HELLO (insert your city's name here)" to be found. Walk in, fuck shit up, walk out -- 33 songs, according to the set list. Kim Deal is no longer with the band, but her substitute (Paz Lenchantin, formerly of A Perfect Circle) was perfectly able. Played Debaser, Crackity Jones, Caribou, Dead, Rock Music and most anything else that an early fan might have hoped to hear. If they happen to be coming your way -- chef recommends.

Going to see them in Chicago

by scriptcomesfirst @, Monday, May 22, 2017, 19:16 (2553 days ago) @ KGB

Last time I saw them was Joshua Tree in Indy. It was fantastic then but I may be more excited this time for reasons I can't fully verbalize. Nostalgia & stuff.

Concur on the Pixies

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Monday, May 22, 2017, 10:54 (2553 days ago) @ KGB

I saw them on the Doolittle tour (when Deal was still with the band) and they were great. They played recently at Shaky Knees but I couldn't make that night; folks who saw them said they were very good.

I haven't seen U2 since the original Joshua Tree tour (aging myself here). I don't think they are coming anywhere near me. Louisville would be the closest.

That was a fantastic tour

by HCE, Monday, May 22, 2017, 11:49 (2553 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

and one of the best full-album shows I've seen.

was at the show last night

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, May 22, 2017, 09:57 (2553 days ago) @ Greg

It was glorious.

Great show

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Monday, May 22, 2017, 10:49 (2553 days ago) @ Jay
edited by hobbs, Monday, May 22, 2017, 10:53

Last week I was going to ask if anyone else was planning to see the show in LA, but I didn't want to clutter the board.

1. I HATE stadiums shows. But given the popularity of band like U2 stadiums are the most practical venue. 8 days at the Staples Center or two nights at the Rose Bowl? I get why they do it but some material just doesn't work in a stadium. Take a song like 'A Sort of Homecoming' its an intimate song that just loses its feeling in a stadium. OTOH, Sunday Bloody Sunday (and Streets Have No Name) work in a large venue.

2. I don't think some people near me got the Trump thing.

All in all a good time was had by our little crew.

Its funny, but I worked the 2nd show of the 'Joshua Tree' tour (Sports Arena), 30 freaking years ago and while reflecting on that (where we were/where we are) I was struck by how well that material still holds up. They could have dropped that album a month ago and it would be topical to the days events.

From what I've seen today, everyone agrees with you

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Monday, May 22, 2017, 10:17 (2553 days ago) @ Jay
edited by Greg, Monday, May 22, 2017, 10:32

Wish I had pulled the trigger for tickets. Especially given the fact they played the album straight through.

--

How'd it compare to past tours?

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Monday, May 22, 2017, 10:17 (2553 days ago) @ Jay

I've seen them a few times now, and a Joshua Tree sort of gimmick is probably the only thing that would get me to another one (I'd probably pay out the nose for an Achtung Baby tour).

most subdued I've seen them (but that was a good thing)

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, May 22, 2017, 11:21 (2553 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

I think that was a result of the Joshua Tree revival, which has some real moments of quiet introspection (during tracks like One Tree Hill, for example). There were moments of serenity I've never seen in a U2 show before. Part of this definitely had to do with the obvious aging of Bono, who seems to be slowing down -- but wearing it well. His voice is still all there, and we agreed last night that even with the more restrained antics, he hasn't sounded better.

The use of video was also the best I've seen from them, especially the pre-taped sequences. For Where the Streets Have No Names, the entire background became a slow drive forward across the pearblossom highway, and the effect was surreal, as if the band itself was floating across the desert. Really amazing.

We were on the floor about twenty people back, so it may have been more immersive, I don't know. But it was right up there with the best I've seen from them, albeit in a different, more reflective tone.

I haven't seen this one yet (two weeks in Chicago)

by Mike (Embrey), Mountain Holler, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 09:30 (2551 days ago) @ Jay

But I've watched a couple videos on Youtube and that screen during Where The Streets Have No Name looks pretty incredible. Glad to hear Bono sounds good - that doesn't always come through well in these videos taken by phones. He sounded strong two years ago when they did the Innocence & Experience arena tour.

How early did you get there? 20-people back is about where I'd like to be, and I was thinking I'd have to get there really early like I did when I got close during the Elevation tour, but that was arenas. Given the larger scale of this I'm hoping I may not have to show up right when gates open?

--
2013 Survivor Pool Champion
2014 Survivor Pool Failure

Yeah. I think that back injury really took a lot out of the

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Monday, May 22, 2017, 14:18 (2553 days ago) @ Jay

guy.

Cool

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Monday, May 22, 2017, 11:41 (2553 days ago) @ Jay

Like I said, I'd fill a canoe with cash to see an Achtung Baby tour, but aging/mellowing may not work for that. There were definite diminishing returns on Bono's ever expanding Jesus complex, though.

An R.E.M. reunion tour is still my top wish.

Saw REM on tour after Monster. Great show. My favorite

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Monday, May 22, 2017, 14:21 (2553 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

thing was that instead of the electronic monitors with lyrics down by the speakers, Michael Stipe had a music stand with paper lyric sheets. After each song he'd make a bit of a show of throwing the used pages off the stand and onto the stage. No idea if that was always a thing he did.

IMO U2 tours have to be broken into 2 groups

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Monday, May 22, 2017, 11:09 (2553 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

pre 2nd leg of the Joshua Tree tour and after. They became the World"s Biggest Rock Band (Time Magazine cover) on that tour and went from playing arenas to stadiums.

U2 in their 'Worlds largest Cult Band' arena days is almmost impossible to beat.

Stadium U2 is excellent as well its just different and far less intimate.

I LOVED the two shows from the Elevation tour that I

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 10:53 (2552 days ago) @ hobbs

saw, both at the United Center in Chicago. Great venue. Incredible sound. Awesome energy. And they had stripped off all the wacky trappings that they had added through Zoo TV and Pop Mart and just came off as four old friends who love playing music together.

Pop Mart was a weird show. They hadn't released many singles at that point, so the new material didn't really get people going. And people actually sat down during slower stuff like Velvet Dress. The standard hits were pretty awesome but the new songs really let all the air out of the stadium. Though that show yielded my favorite moment from any U2 show I attended (No. 1 on my list overall was the monologue at the beginning of One during the ND show), which was the Navy Pier fireworks going off essentially behind and over the stage during With or Without You in the Encore.

I'm a huge U2 fan but was pretty much done with live

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Monday, May 22, 2017, 11:05 (2553 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

shows, especially at Soldier Field, which I absolutely hate.

But once I found out they would play the whole Joshua Tree, I was all-in.

And I agree that I'd do the same for Achtung Baby.

IMO, one of the worst things about the huge stadium shows is the opening acts. You need a U2, a Stones, or someone else with that type of presence to fill that space with sound and energy. I don't see how any opening band could be even remotely successful in that situation. As far as I can tell, the only strength of the Lumineers in this role is to get maybe 20-25% of the audience in their seats early and drinking a couple extra beers. They might have, what, 2-3 songs (charitably) that the general public knows and will enjoy. Personally, the only one I know well is the "Chickeneers" spoof of Hey-Ho from Fallon. I would be more excited about Nick Offerman wearing a chicken suit opening for U2, and I suspect that the vast majority of the 40+ crew in the crowd would agree.

We're going to see them in Tampa in June.

by oviedoirish @, Oviedo, Florida, Monday, May 22, 2017, 12:23 (2553 days ago) @ BillyGoat

I've only seen U2 in stadiums, and I enjoyed the shows, but I wish I could have seen them in their arena days.

I believe that the opening act in Tampa is One Republic, who I like, so that's much better than the Lumineers for me.

That's a little better. Much more high energy, anyway.

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Monday, May 22, 2017, 12:59 (2553 days ago) @ oviedoirish

- No text -

Lumineers are a really weird choice

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Monday, May 22, 2017, 11:14 (2553 days ago) @ BillyGoat

I like some of their songs, but they just don't strike me as having enough sound for those venues.

U2 at the Joyce was great because it was, relatively, a small venue for them.

It would be amazing if the Dalton Brothers opened at least

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Monday, May 22, 2017, 14:18 (2553 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

once on this tour.

It's an objectively awful choice.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Monday, May 22, 2017, 11:47 (2553 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes
edited by KGB, Monday, May 22, 2017, 11:51

I'm not a fan but like a few of the songs. But even if you poster-on-the-bedroom-wall-loved them...holy hell, get someone capable of actually filling a big-ass football stadium sonically. U2 might as well toss these guys out on the stage for an hour beforehand.

[image]

The Dillards were booked?

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Monday, May 22, 2017, 12:02 (2553 days ago) @ KGB

If you're going to go pickin' and twangin', go with the best.

--

they were comically small in the space

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, May 22, 2017, 11:55 (2553 days ago) @ KGB

They were confined to about fifty feet of stage, their little drum kit dwarfed by the U2 one on risers behind them, and this huge expanse of an inert video screen behind that. No lights, as the sun was still up. And the thrust stage in front of them, also verboten. Finally their roadies had to (or chose to) stand off to the side, but still on stage, looking like homeroom teachers working a talent show. It was like the whole purpose was to show by contrast just how grandiose U2 was going to be. I guess on that count they succeeded.

Ya, seems almost vindictive on U2's part.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Monday, May 22, 2017, 12:10 (2553 days ago) @ Jay

But if you're the Lumineers, are you going to turn down the opportunity to open for U2, to play the damn Rose Bowl? Haaayyyl no. Still, they had to open the set feeling like someone just dropped them on the beach at Normandy with nerf guns.

I think Mumford and Sons is opening for them on part of the

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Monday, May 22, 2017, 11:54 (2553 days ago) @ KGB

tour. Also, an awful choice.

I remember seeing the Stones open with Guns and Roses on the Steel Wheels tour. Now, that's an opening act that can fill a stadium.

I've posted this before, but for Zoo TV...

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Monday, May 22, 2017, 13:00 (2553 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

We had both Public Enemy and Big Audio Dynamite II open. I didn't and don't know a single PE song, but just an hour of non-stop beat helped get the blood flowing for the main act.

Kanye opened for U2 in STL in Dec 05

by Silk, St. Louis, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 00:00 (2552 days ago) @ BillyGoat

He had only recently come on the scene, and I liked the set far more than I should have.

I want to say that BB King opened for U2 when I saw them

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Monday, May 22, 2017, 14:02 (2553 days ago) @ BillyGoat

on the JT tour, but I might be wrong. The worst is when you have a high energy band open for a low-energy band...like when I saw the Old 97s open for Drive-By Truckers.

He definitely opened for them

by Mike (Embrey), Mountain Holler, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 09:26 (2551 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

Although it was almost entirely on the Lovetown tour which was in Australia and New Zealand. This was following the Rattle & Hum release and their collaboration with him on "When Love Comes to Town."

However, he did open three Joshua Tree tour shows, so perhaps you saw one of those! One was in Fort Worth and the other two in Tempe - November and December of '87.

--
2013 Survivor Pool Champion
2014 Survivor Pool Failure

Mumford changed up their sound though, right?

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Monday, May 22, 2017, 11:57 (2553 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

I thought they went electric. Even in jangle-jangle format, though, they have more punch than the Lumineers.

I saw PJ Harvey and Garbage open for U2 in the past. Pretty awesome.