Anyone else run into the Burger King crown meme in real life

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Monday, May 03, 2021, 08:39 (1082 days ago)

PMan probably heard of it: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/apr/26/racist-meme-prompts-gonzaga-prep-walkout/

But any of you other guys? We just got an email from our son's HS president saying that a competing team (all white or nearly so) was wearing crowns in the dugout during a game Friday and pointedly so. Apparently neither our coach nor theirs understood the meme until our kids told our coach. It's now blown up a bit, but not like the story linked above.

Anyway, further reason adults should run to Google any time they see kids doing, well, anything.

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

Is nothing sacred?

by nedhead, Monday, May 03, 2021, 18:10 (1081 days ago) @ Greg

I have questions, but I think I'd rather not know.

Yes.

by PMan @, The Banks of the Spokane River, Monday, May 03, 2021, 11:00 (1081 days ago) @ Greg

GPrep also generally has a race and class perception problem that this incident did not help with. Hence, the very public walkout supported by the principal.

That's one reason dress-up days are a nightmare for teachers

by HCE, Monday, May 03, 2021, 09:41 (1081 days ago) @ Greg

I still have nightmares about that time, when I was teaching at a Catholic school in West Baltimore, that the one white kid in the class decided to celebrate spirit day by draping himself in Confederate flag gear.

The internet makes all of this even worse, since most adults are pretty meme illiterate, and the internet is so draped in indecipherable layers of irony and supposed irony these days. Having a "meme day" is pretty much asking for trouble.

So they wear the crowns to support

by CK08, Monday, May 03, 2021, 08:47 (1081 days ago) @ Greg

the yelling dude on the plane? Not to mock him and his ilk?

Or maybe it's just too hard to tell the difference, in which case I understand schools cracking down.

In this case...

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Monday, May 03, 2021, 08:58 (1081 days ago) @ CK08

...given the context, it was support. Which is just stupid in every way possible.

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

Maybe they were just supporting the oligarchy.

by NDinVA @, Yorktown, VA, Monday, May 03, 2021, 14:21 (1081 days ago) @ Greg