What was the first Novel(la) you ever read?

by Grantland, y'allywood, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 09:46 (1151 days ago)
edited by Grantland, Friday, March 05, 2021, 13:35

I will let you guess (though not much guessing needed) my son's (which was probably mine too).

In answer to "How do you relate to the book?", he said,

"I love to go fishing. My dad is the old man and I am the boy. I always go fishing with my old man. Especially in the mud around where we live. We catch Red Fish sometimes and sometimes not. But we always try our best."

John Bellairs

by LaFortune Teller ⌂ @, South Bend, Friday, March 05, 2021, 11:57 (1150 days ago) @ Grantland

- No text -

ND Class of 1959

by HCE, Friday, March 05, 2021, 12:13 (1150 days ago) @ LaFortune Teller

I reread a few of the Johnny Dixon books over Christmas--they're wonderful novels and maybe the best Catholic fiction ever written for children.

In retrospect, if YA lit counts, Beverly Cleary.

by MattG, Friday, March 05, 2021, 10:58 (1150 days ago) @ Grantland

STILL ALIVE at 104!

I'm thinking that I read several Henry Huggins/Ribsy books in the 1st grade timeframe.

My favorites of hers were The Mouse and the Motorcycle.

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Friday, March 05, 2021, 11:04 (1150 days ago) @ MattG

- No text -

David Copperfield

by River, Hell of the Upside Down Sinners, Friday, March 05, 2021, 10:18 (1150 days ago) @ Grantland

6th Grade. Was offered an automatic A on the book report if I wrote a sentence or two on each chapter. Done and Sister Margaret was true to her word a got that A :)

Oliver Twist at the same age for me

by Jack @, Friday, March 05, 2021, 11:08 (1150 days ago) @ River
edited by Jack, Friday, March 05, 2021, 11:14

I was in a church production of the musical "Oliver!" as a Fagin's boy in 6th grade, so read the book. It was the same year as the film that won Best Picture came out as well (1968). Loooong book to read for a sixth grader, longest I'd read to that point by far, but what a great book.

Fear of Flying

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Friday, March 05, 2021, 06:17 (1150 days ago) @ Grantland

- No text -

Snow Treasure.

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Friday, March 05, 2021, 05:36 (1150 days ago) @ Grantland

2nd grade, I think.

Mrs. Burnette was worried about me because there were actual Nazi soldiers on the cover.

--
Sometimes I rhyme slow sometimes I rhyme quick.

Another great one

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Friday, March 05, 2021, 06:36 (1150 days ago) @ domer.mq

Man there are so many awesome reading options for young boys.

That's an awesome book. My Dad loves WWII history, and

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Friday, March 05, 2021, 06:28 (1150 days ago) @ domer.mq

my grade school aged son wanted to learn more, so I found a copy of that for him.

If we're talking real "novels", Watership Down

by mkmcfrlnd, NEPA, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 21:30 (1150 days ago) @ Grantland

Had to read it between 7th/8th grade in order to take Algebra a year early for the private high school I went to.

What I took from it? Rabbit scream loud. I learned that it was true when I was 19 and our family dog caught a warren of kittens (ok, I learned two things from the book). We took all 9 to the emergency vet and 7 of them survived.

Outside of that, I had read most of Stephen King's catalog pre-1992 to that point, because my mother was a huge fan and had them all, but my favorite to that point were the Vampire Chronicles.

First one I remember was Island of the Blue Dolphins

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 16:59 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

I distinctly remember that from school. Read so much outside that I can’t recall specific ones. We would always buy a lot of books at the book fairs at school.

My 4th grader read that this year.

by okerland @, The right side of the Bay Bridge, Friday, March 05, 2021, 09:22 (1150 days ago) @ Spesh

- No text -

That reminds me of The Pearl which I read early on.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Friday, March 05, 2021, 05:28 (1150 days ago) @ Spesh

- No text -

We read that in sixth grade - loved it so much

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Friday, March 05, 2021, 06:22 (1150 days ago) @ Grantland

I bought it to reread last summer.

My next one

by Busco21, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 16:57 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

Not a big reader. I know, you all are shocked LOL.

Wait, do game plans count? Maybe I am "well read" hahahahaha

However, you probably have written a book

by terribletr, Friday, March 05, 2021, 04:30 (1150 days ago) @ Busco21

When considering late night drunken ramblings on TPG.

“The Collected Busco” leatherbound compendium

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, March 05, 2021, 06:59 (1150 days ago) @ terribletr

- No text -

More like human skin.

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Friday, March 05, 2021, 07:14 (1150 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

aged in diesel exhaust

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, March 05, 2021, 07:20 (1150 days ago) @ BillyGoat

- No text -

And tanned in vats of Busch.

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Friday, March 05, 2021, 08:49 (1150 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Love you all

by Busco21, Friday, March 05, 2021, 17:40 (1150 days ago) @ BillyGoat

When sober I realize I have nothing to add to any conversation. When drinking I figure “hell, why not?”

Then keep drinking. Love reading your stuff.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Monday, March 08, 2021, 12:01 (1147 days ago) @ Busco21

- No text -

He is our Faulkner. Too bad that...

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Friday, March 05, 2021, 06:30 (1150 days ago) @ terribletr

"The Sound and the Fury" is already taken, because it would work as a title for Busco's book.

I’ve been told

by Busco21, Friday, March 05, 2021, 17:43 (1150 days ago) @ BillyGoat

“When in doubt, spear the pile” has not been taken LOL

If Incel Brown doesn't count, then probably The High King.

by Publicola, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 16:42 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

I read Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer pretty early, too, so maybe that came first. I read kids editions of Gulliver's Travels and Ivanhoe around the same time. It's all kind of a blur.

Haven't the faintest clue. My mom was a voracious reader...

by PAK, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 14:46 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

so I was brought on ~weekly trips to the library from basically the day I was born. Couldn't even begin to tell you when I switched from children's books to novels or novellas or whatever but it was very young.

Probably something in the Encyclopedia Brown series.

by Tim, Chicago, IL, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 13:35 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

- No text -

Did y'all read How and Why books? Loved those.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 13:58 (1151 days ago) @ Tim

- No text -

Huckleberry Finn

by Jack @, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 13:25 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

For Christmas one year as kids, my brother got Tom Sawyer and I got Huck Finn. My brother is older than me. The books should have been switched. One is a hell of a lot deeper than the other as likely most of you know, and I really didn’t get what was going on until it was assigned in freshman Comp and Lit at ND. Quite a different perspective then, I have to say.

Kindergarten teacher made me read Freckle Juice

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 13:24 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

There was a scary illustration that I'm pretty sure made me cry.

Looking it up now, that's like a third-grader's book! I must've been a great kindergartener. My how the mighty have fallen.

Finnegans Wake

by Jeff (BGS) @, A starter home in suburban Tempe, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 12:50 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland
edited by Jeff (BGS), Thursday, March 04, 2021, 13:27

Great question, btw. The first book I remember reading was Custer's Last Stand, which I checked out from the school library in grade school because I thought the cover looked cool. If you think Dr. Seuss was bad, imagine this baby, copyright 1951...

[image]

--
At night, the ice weasels come.

The Celery Stalks at Midnight

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 12:48 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

Also The Hobbit/LOTR, and any John Bellairs books I could find in the library.

Hardy Boys or The Great Brain or Charlie & the Chocolate

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 12:40 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

Factory.

I read a LOT of the "Great Brain" series.

by MattG, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 13:13 (1151 days ago) @ BillyGoat

Good call.

Tom Sawyer, I'll bet. Or Phantom Tollbooth.

by MattG, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 12:31 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

I'm not really sure.

I was really into the Prydain books (rather than Narnia or LOTR).

I have no idea why those have not yet become movies. (Probably bc the animated Black Cauldron failed in the eighties.) It's *substantially* simpler than Narnia, because the characters are constant throughout the series, and there are no overt religion allegories to embrace or skirt.

It also has the archetypal "hero's journey" from Assistant Pig-Keeper onward, like Luke Skywalker or Harry Potter. And the characters age at a cadence that would work for movie production. They could cast 16 year olds, and by the time the final movie came around they'd be 22 or so.

Loved The Westing Game and Phantom Tollbooth, bought early edition hardcovers of both for my son.

Good call on Phantom Tollbooth.

by ReginaldVelJohnson @, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 12:43 (1151 days ago) @ MattG

I remember loving the movie, as well.

Great book. It's almost like Gulliver's Travels for kids,

by HCE, Friday, March 05, 2021, 09:13 (1150 days ago) @ ReginaldVelJohnson

except it's actually pleasurable to read.

I picked Gulliver/Swift for an AP Lit course project.

by ReginaldVelJohnson @, Friday, March 05, 2021, 10:00 (1150 days ago) @ HCE

That was a mistake.

I took a Swift seminar in grad school

by HCE, Friday, March 05, 2021, 10:21 (1150 days ago) @ ReginaldVelJohnson

God, what a miserable experience that was. Some of that was the professor's fault--he was, I later found out, in the middle of getting fired for sexual harassment and had thus stopped giving a shit--but Dean Swift is also very tiresome company. Some of the Stella poems are nice, and the footnotes in Tale of a Tub are vaguely interesting, in a technical sense, but pretty much everything else is dull and unpleasant.

I am too old. While I think Phantom Tollbooth

by Grantland, y'allywood, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 12:48 (1151 days ago) @ ReginaldVelJohnson
edited by Grantland, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 13:00

was written well before I was born, I never heard of it until my daughter read it. Same with Hatchet.

Read them both with my daughter and loved them. She did not like Hatchet.

Her favorite book is The Great Gatsby.

Early memory of "Where the Red Fern Grows" in

by ReginaldVelJohnson @, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 11:34 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

grade 3 or 4. That book wrecked me.

But before that, I was reading the Moby Illustrated Classics which were illustrated, abridged versions of classics that came in sets.

Funny story

by terribletr, Friday, March 05, 2021, 04:32 (1150 days ago) @ ReginaldVelJohnson

I loved that book and told my daughter to read it. I think we are still having her treated for PTSD after reading it. Way too sad for her. She is 26 years old and still brings it up all the time.

My mom and dad took my son on a road trip. They

by Grantland, y'allywood, Friday, March 05, 2021, 05:30 (1150 days ago) @ terribletr

got the audio book and my wife was against it for the very same reason.

My 5th grade teacher read that book to our class

by Coach Gillespie @, Omaha, Friday, March 05, 2021, 06:13 (1150 days ago) @ Grantland

I remember her breaking down into tears toward the end.

--
Throw em out Marianne.

And Sounder. Ugh that book I cried.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Friday, March 05, 2021, 08:47 (1150 days ago) @ Coach Gillespie

- No text -

May have been Gary Paulsen's "Hatchet"

by Coach Gillespie @, Omaha, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 10:59 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

I also loved "Brian's Winter" by Paulsen.

Others I was really into when I was nine or ten years old:

- Matt Christopher books
- Bios of Jackie Robinson, Babe Ruth and Knute Rockne
- The Hardy Boys
- Where the Red Fern Grows and Shiloh

--
Throw em out Marianne.

My parents recently dug up some of my elementary school

by CK08, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 11:44 (1151 days ago) @ Coach Gillespie

creative writing assignments (which I figured were long gone).

I was clearly inspired by both Paulsen and Christopher....

Is that Matt Christopher the author?

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 12:27 (1151 days ago) @ CK08

Or the book "Christopher?" Because both are fantastic.

Bio of Knute was a really early one of mine as well.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 11:31 (1151 days ago) @ Coach Gillespie

- No text -

A certain poster on this board who shall remain nameless ...

by Coach Gillespie @, Omaha, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 13:22 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

once asserted that Knute was born in Poland. I politely informed him that, no, Knute was born in Voss, Norway.

And on that note, happy birthday Knute.

--
Throw em out Marianne.

Where his dad was a carriage maker.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 13:55 (1151 days ago) @ Coach Gillespie

- No text -

Some great names in here

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 11:11 (1151 days ago) @ Coach Gillespie

A few others I can recall fondly:

Carry On Mr. Bowditch
The Indian in the Cupboard

The Lion, the Witch, and Wardrobe, I think

by CK08, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 10:54 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

First "grown up" novel(la) (assuming Narnia doesn't count) was probably Animal Farm.

was also thinking Animal Farm

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 10:58 (1151 days ago) @ CK08

I want to say we read that in 7th grade. And Huck Finn too.

Is Huck Finn still widely assigned?

by CK08, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 11:47 (1151 days ago) @ Jay

It seems pretty ripe for some aggressive stupid from both sides of the "cancel culture" debate.

No, not really

by HCE, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 12:12 (1151 days ago) @ CK08

It's been controversial for decades, but it hasn't made the Top 10 Most Challenged Book since 2007, largely because it has fallen out of favor. Some of that is a response to changing sensibilities and contemporary discomfort with the n-word, but I wouldn't blame it on cancel culture, since there's been a movement towards more diverse reading curricula and fewer dead white men on middle school syllabi. Twain, for better or worse, seems to be one of those dead white men getting left behind.

good question

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 10:49 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

Maybe Little House on the Prairie series?

Other early ones:

Three Investigators series
The Littles
Watership Down
Chronic(wut)cles of Narnia

Probably the Boxcar Children or Hardy Boys.

by Savage, Around Ye Olde Colonial College, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 10:41 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

I then read through all of the Spinelli books and other similar pop young adult novels.

If we're talking plausibly adult literature, there's probably a line that can be drawn between the Asimov YA-targeted series and something like Foundation or I, Robot to make a claim for one of them. Then that turned me on to the entire genre so I went off to read Douglas Adams, who I adore to this day, which is certainly a valid "non-kids" series of books.

6th grade-ish

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 10:55 (1151 days ago) @ Savage

I remember burning through all the Asimov books, Heinlein, Herbert, and also a ton of fantasy fiction (Belgaraid series, Shannara, Tolkien, Thomas Covenant), etc. Good times.

I recently bought some nice anthology books published by Canterbury Classics (very attractive leather bound hardbacks, around $20 each). Bullfinches Mythology, collected Hans Christian Andersen, Brothers Grimm, Jules Verne. I picked them up for my daughters but it’s been fun rereading myself.

The Westing Game

by IrishGuard, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 10:35 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

or maybe From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler or James and the Giant Peach.

Just the absolute best.

by MattG, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 12:22 (1151 days ago) @ IrishGuard

I heard several years ago that Neil Patrick Harris had optioned the movie rights - he would have made a great title character.

For which? Westing? That would be awesome.

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 12:39 (1151 days ago) @ MattG

- No text -

Yes, Westing Game. (it's happening, just not NPH)

by MattG, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 13:16 (1151 days ago) @ BillyGoat
edited by MattG, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 13:21

His part would have worked a lot like his Count Olaf in the (excellent!!) "Series of Unfortunate Events" Netflix series.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/westing-game-series-hbo-max-1234764154/

It was just announced last fall that HBO Max has ordered it as a limited series. The executive producer is Julie Corman (wife of Roger Corman), so maybe NPH's option expired.

NPH has talked about how it's his absolutely favorite book... I'm sure he's angling to get the title role.

He'd be awesome as Samuel Westing(s)

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Friday, March 05, 2021, 04:45 (1150 days ago) @ MattG

- No text -

It will be interesting to see how they handle that.

by MattG, Friday, March 05, 2021, 10:19 (1150 days ago) @ BillyGoat
edited by MattG, Friday, March 05, 2021, 10:23

It's a little simpler to pull that twist off in a book, than in a TV show.

If they release one episode a week, it could be fun to leave certain clues and riddles unsolved and let the audience try to keep up and solve it on the days between eps, like the reader has to.

Also, they ABSOLUTELY need to set the story in 1977.
I imagine it looking like a Wes Anderson film.

Hopefully with lots of makeup and four different accents

by Aaron (Shakespeare), Sunday, March 07, 2021, 14:40 (1148 days ago) @ MattG

- No text -

Not sure, but first "grown-up" novel was probably Dracula

by HCE, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 10:14 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

or possibly The Hound of the Baskervilles. I also had formative reading experiences with Poe's Eight Tales of Terror and Rouse's translation of the Iliad.

As a kid, I had no real sense of the division between adult and children's fiction, or between high and low culture, so I just read whatever looked interesting to me. My first novel written for kids was probably something from the Hardy Boys series, but I can't remember which one. I was also obsessed with Olivia Coolidge's Trojan War and Song of Roland books, but I think those came a bit later.

The BFG

by Romulox, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 10:10 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

- No text -

Probably "A Wrinkle in Time"

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Thursday, March 04, 2021, 10:08 (1151 days ago) @ Grantland

- No text -