the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

more on assistant coaching salaries (updated)

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, January 16, 2012, 12:20
edited by Jay, Monday, January 16, 2012, 12:32

Bill posted the link to the USA Today database below ( http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2011-12-19/college-assistant-sala... ).

I took the data for the major conferences (ACC, B10, B12, P12, SEC...left out the Big East) and threw them into a spreadsheet. Keep in mind this data was for the 2010-11 season, and a lot of these coaches are already on the move, but the data is interesting as a snapshot nonetheless. Also, the database does not list positions, so it's tough to compare OC versus DC, for example. Finally, there was no data for private schools who do not disclose (see below).

Some observations:

* the SEC paid 7 of the top 8 assistant contracts in college football, with Gus Malzahn leading the way at $1.3 million

* the only non-SEC assistant in the top 8 was Greg Mattison at #5, pulling down $750k

* top guys by conference:

SEC - Malzahn, Auburn - 1.3 mil (missing Vanderbilt)
B10 - Mattison, Michigan - 750k (missing Northwestern, Penn State)
ACC - Kevin Steele, Clemson - 680k (missing Duke, BC, Miami, Wake)
P12 - Nick Holt, UW - 650k (missing Southern Cal, Stanford)
B12 - Manny Diaz, Texas - 625k

* average of the top 3 guys at each school by conference. Again, the SEC dwarfs everyone -- almost 50% better pay than the next conference:

SEC - 486k
ACC - 346k
B12 - 344k
B10 - 298k
P12 - 272k

* ND's salaries are not listed (as a private school), but let's think about this. Who are our top 3 guys? I'm guessing Martin, Diaco...and Hiestand? Do we think their average salaries are competitive? Where do you think they rank in the previous list?

Tags:
coaches

Clemson's Chad Morris is now at $1.3M as well

by BPH, San Diego, Monday, January 16, 2012, 13:04 @ Jay

[ No text ]

should be $400k for coordinators, I'd think

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Monday, January 16, 2012, 12:28 @ Jay

From what I recall, Martin was a threat to leave for the NIU job last year. That job wound up paying Doeren $371,000. My thought is that if you want to keep your best assistants from bolting for MAC level jobs, you ought to pay them like MAC coaches.

Looking at that list, Oklahoma State is paying four guys $400k. Wisconsin was paying Cryst over $400k. If we're not paying our cooridnators that much, then we're in trouble. Savage (on NDN) was really right, this is an area where ND can have a competitive advantage but really seems to drag its feet.

(When I say "should" I'm using it in the sense that that's what ND "should" do to remain competitive with other colleges. You can of course make some sort of argument that ND "shouldn't" pay an assistant coach more than a head coach for another sport or the top professor or the endowment manager, but that's an entirely different matter.)

If you believe them...

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Monday, January 16, 2012, 12:43 @ HumanRobot

Michigan fans feel UM was similarly lagging in assistant salaries. They obviously broke the piggy bank for Mattison, with pretty remarkable results.

Wonder what the "come to Jesus" moment will be for ND on this issue. Hopefully it doesn't happen next year when Martin and Alford leave for greener pastures.*

*This was completely tongue in cheek - I don't think Alford is leaving for another position coach and/or even a coordinator job. I believe he legitimately loves ND and everything it stands for. But rumor has it he desperately wanted that Colorado St. job and would have jumped if offered. Martin also probably doesn't leave without a HC job, but you'd have to imagine he will be high on someone's wish list, assuming he can effect some serious production from this offense next year.

that would definitely be competitive

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, January 16, 2012, 12:33 @ HumanRobot

[ No text ]

it'd be tied for 39th highest paid assistant (excluding pvt)

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Monday, January 16, 2012, 12:42 @ Jay

I don't think we should just pay assistants willy-nilly, either. When Kelly came to ND and wanted to hire Diaco as DC, there's no need to overpay to land him. However, I suspect that had Kelly wanted to hire a Mattison type that salary would have precluded the possibility.

At this point, I think Martin and Diaco are proven enough as assistants that we don't want to lose them to a MAC level head coaching job. I'd hate to lose Alford to a MAC level coordinatorship. If they take a promotion to a BCS level school, so be it.

you're right

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, January 16, 2012, 12:43 @ HumanRobot

I was thinking $400K average, for the staff, for some reason. $400K for each coordinator would not be competitive.

Clemson and Washington didn't get much of a ROI

by DCT, Monday, January 16, 2012, 12:23 @ Jay

Wow.

Steele earns that kind of change and WVU hung 70 on them?

Same with Washington.

and both those guys are gone, as is Malzahn

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, January 16, 2012, 12:26 @ DCT

Steele quit Clemson (or was let go), Holt was fired, and Malzahn's off to Arkansas State. And Charlie's gone too (#2 overall).

I missed Steele...

by DCT, Monday, January 16, 2012, 12:28 @ Jay

Where did he end up?

I didn't realize Dabo canned him, or forced him out.

374412 Postings in 32687 Threads, 204 registered users, 43 users online (0 registered, 43 guests)
Contact