the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

follow up from Pat's post, below

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 15:58

Under "mistakes were made", Pat wrote:

* Too many mistakes on offense.

While the overall M.O.E. dropped this year slightly (12.3% to 11.1%), there just wasn't a crispness on offense that I sort of expected with a mostly veteran cast returning. We averaged an entire penalty a game more on offense, and far too many of those were costly false starts (I want to see how many happened on 1st down, which can really kill a drive before it starts).

But even beyond the kind of things that get scooped up by M.O.E., things just looked too sloppy. How often did we narrowly avoid a delay of game penalty or have to call a timeout to avoid one? How many miscommunications between QB and WR on routes?

What perhaps made it even worse in my mind is how we seemed to get rattled in big games. The M.O.E. for the Stanford game was essentially the highest in the Kelly era. 1 offensive mistake for every 5 plays. Kelly always talks about "you know we're going to get their best effort because this is their biggest game of the year". Why don't we seem to be giving our best effort for our big games rather than against Purdue or Air Force?

This was by far my biggest beef with the program this year.

I've finally got the season's play-by-play loaded, and here's the gory detail.

* 19 false start penalties on the year (better than 1.5 per game)
* an astounding 11 of those on first down

Compared to 2010,

* 10 false starts all year
* only one on first down

---------------

Culprits in 2011:

5 Dever
3 Watt
2 Nuss
2 Welch
2 Golic
1 Martin
1 Robinson
1 Goodman
(2 unknown)

Per game:

1 USF
3 Michigan
1 MSU
1 Pitt
2 Purdue
2 AFA
2 USC
1 Maryland
2 BC
4 Stanford

Tags:
errors

thanks for digging deeper

by Pat, Right behind you, Thursday, December 01, 2011, 07:47 @ Jay

The spike in 1st down false starts is even more than I thought. I think you can forgive a few false starts here or there, especially on something like 2nd down where maybe ND is pushing the tempo or a 3rd and short where every millisecond jump on the guy across the line helps. But on first down you'd think the situation would be as calm as it could be, relatively speaking.

Maybe it's a fluke thing that so many happened on 1st down, but I think it's one thing worth watching closer next year (and this year's bowl game too) to see if it's cleared up. With a new right side of the line next year we may end up starting a guy who hasn't played a down yet (Nick Martin) so hopefully we don't see a continuation of ill-timed false starts.

further

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 16:08 @ Jay

Of those 11 false starts on first down, here's what happened on the series

USF: punt

Michigan: got a first down, but then was intercepted

Michigan: punt

MSU: got a first down (Cierre running for 16 yards), ultimately scored a TD

Pitt: sacked on 3rd & 12, lost fumble

Purdue: got first down, kicked FG

BC: punt on 3rd & 21

Stanford, 2 consecutive false starts to start the game: punted on 3rd & 17

Stanford: got first down, but punted later

Stanford: false start offset by roughing the passer; Hendrix to Floyd for touchdown on next play

what was the deal with those 2 Golic penalties?

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 16:11 @ Jay

Was he doing something slight, and Shaw alerted the refs?

I never quite understood those calls.

apparently he was jerking his head up too quickly

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 16:17 @ Spesh

or something like that.

That's what I thought, but he did the same thing other times

by Jeff (BGS), A starter home in suburban Tempe, Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 21:43 @ Jay

without drawing the flag

He'll go blind...

by Busco21, Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 16:22 @ Jay

[ No text ]

Or throw a disc

by San Pedro, Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 17:01 @ Busco21

To say he was jerking violently would be an understatement. The Tasmanian devil is positively mellow in comparison.

My favorite part was Golic's incredulity at the calls. It was if he was unaware that you can't pop and lock once you are in a set position.

374427 Postings in 32689 Threads, 204 registered users, 66 users online (1 registered, 65 guests)
Contact