Linear

swarbrick's comments from below

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Sunday, September 18, 2011, 08:49

Notre Dame football: Big East tremors may affect ND

By ERIC HANSEN

South Bend Tribune Staff Writer

10:56 PM EDT, September 17, 2011

advertisement

SOUTH BEND - Two weeks after having to deal with unprecedented lightning delays at Notre Dame Stadium, Irish athletic director Jack Swarbrick is now having to cope with tremors that could eventually shake the school's independent status in football.

CBSSports.com's Garry Parrish reported Saturday that Pittsburgh and Syracuse not only submitted letters of application to join the Atlantic Coast Conference, but that high-ranking officials from both the Big East and the ACC said the vote to accept the two schools could happen as early as Sunday.

How this affects ND is that Notre Dames men's and women's basketball teams and most of its Olympic sports are members of the Big East, and if that league starts to crumble, then ND may have to take another referendum on independence.

"All the time. All the time," Swarbrick said when asked Saturday, following ND's 31-13 upending of Michigan State, how often he plays the what if? game. "You have to. Everybody does. It's not unique to Notre Dame."

"Everyone has spent their time, for a significant portion of the past 14 months, engaged in this exercise. We're probably more active in analysis than some people, because we have more factors to manage.

"I thought of a lot of scenarios in my mind, but this was not one of them."

Football independence has been ND's preference since rebuffing the Big Ten more than a decade ago. The only triggers that figured to change that were restricted access to the Bowl Championship Series, the end of the NBC television contract and/or the implosion of the Big East Conference.

"We will approach this -- no matter what the change is -- with that as our goal," Swarbrick said of football independence. "We'll see whether we can manage our circumstances to meet that goal.

"It felt like maybe things were about to settle down a little bit. I think the Pac-12 was pretty intent on staying where it was. If that were true, the Big 12 had a chance to hold. This was a little bit of a surprise.

"There's so much I really don't know at this point, not the least of which whether it's in fact a done deal. We'll learn much more in the next 24-48 hours. I'll have a chance to talk with our colleagues in the conference, our coaches, (Notre Dame president) Father(John) Jenkins and figure out what it all mean."

Tags:
swarbrick, expansion

When the history of conf. expansion is written, IMO the LHN

by hobbs, San Diego, Sunday, September 18, 2011, 09:44 @ Jay
edited by hobbs, Sunday, September 18, 2011, 09:52

is going to be viewed as a giant tactical mistake and overreach by Texas. The introduction of that network fundamentally destabilized a conference which they all but ran and controlled from their chair in Austin. TAMU is a royal pain in the ass but the LHN just rubbed their nose in the ground and played upon their inferiority complex which led to them into opting for greener pastures. Again, TAMU is a pain but they were one of the lynchpins of that conference. As annoying as they may be Texas needed to pay them some (political) mind.

Furthermore the LHN also serves as an impediment to whatever conference UT might want to join. First there is the TV aspect ofthe ESPN/LHN not being able to partner up with other outlets. Secondly the LHN upsets revenue sharing for everyone else. The ACC would love them, but those school Presidents are committed to their revenue sharing model and they're not inclined to invite UT and the LHN in as partners while allowing UT to keep the LHN revenue all to themselves. The same is true with the Pac 10 and Big 10.

Finally, if the Big XII goes boom UT is going to have to find a new home. Wherever that home is (Pac 12, Big 10, ACC) one thing is sure. Texas won't enjoy the unrivaled position they held in the Big 12 that allowed them to dominate that conference from Austin.

I'm not sure how much UT will actually earn for the LHN but big picture wise one has to wonder if the LHN was really worth it.

Oh, BTW our (ND) basketball recruiting just went boom.

Probably can throw the "expansion" tag there too

by Savage, Around Ye Olde Colonial College, Sunday, September 18, 2011, 08:54 @ Jay

[ No text ]

good point

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Sunday, September 18, 2011, 09:04 @ Savage
edited by Jay, Sunday, September 18, 2011, 09:17

This whole thing gives me the shakes, btw. With a viable Big East, last year we could pretty much cross our arms and hold the line. If the BE falls apart, all bets are off, I think.

But, I don't think it has to fall apart -- especially for the non-football sports. All those teams have to play somewhere.

Yeah, but even though all those teams have to play somewhere

by Greg, the 'Dena, Sunday, September 18, 2011, 13:25 @ Jay

Is the Little East going to get them enough money to make playing in it worthwhile?

And as much as we are (rightly) focused on ND's situation here, I'd be really worried if I were at Villanova or Georgetown. I've thought for 2-3 years that the rest of the non-football members of the Big East were just holding off the inevitable but thought that those two were at least putting out good top-to-bottom athletic programs. A non-football Big East or a Big East that is essentially "Conference USA with a BCS bid" is not going to be the money-maker that they need to stay alive.

Maybe this is triggers us to join the Big East (and bring Tejas and some of the Big XII remnant) to keep it alive. Us, Texas, TCU, WVU, Rutgers, UConn, Louisville, USF, Cincy, and say Kansas, KSU and Texas Tech. That's 12 and with two "bell cows."

I wouldn't like it, but I could stand it better than going to the Integer.

Let's get creative

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Sunday, September 18, 2011, 13:39 @ Greg

How about texas and nd are independent but can vie for the big east bcs bid?

I like it

by Greg, the 'Dena, Sunday, September 18, 2011, 13:41 @ HumanRobot

Reports that Texas is leaning Pac-16 make it unlikely, but I like it.

Is TCU still coming?

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Sunday, September 18, 2011, 09:16 @ Jay

[ No text ]

Sounds like it - at the moment

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Sunday, September 18, 2011, 09:22 @ HumanRobot

374367 Postings in 32685 Threads, 204 registered users, 70 users online (1 registered, 69 guests)
Contact