the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

some Miami defensive gamecharting, c/o Pat

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 12:02
edited by Jay, Sunday, February 05, 2012, 14:55

Pat got started on a little bit of gamecharting from the Sun Bowl so I thought I'd throw it up here. Kind of neat to see the different arrangements of personnel depending on the situation.

Also, not a hell of a lot of blitzing.

I'd like to chart out the Southern Cal game as well, to see what the 4-DL alignments looked like without Ian Williams in the lineup.

Tags:
defense

a little PT breakdown, and replacement slots for '11

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 13:03 @ Jay
edited by Jay, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 13:16

Here's the playing time tally, as far as we've gotten (first half of Miami). Replacement issues are starred.

Ethan Johnson (90) - 94%. Returning starter, every down player.

Kapron Lewis-Moore (89) - 75%. Returning starter, would come off field in nickel packages.

* Ian Williams (95) - 69%. Was coming off injury so snap count might have been down against Miami. Spelled primarily by Cwynar (31%) when he didn't play.

Darius Fleming (45) - 100%. Along with Manti & Harrison, only player on defense to play every snap, in all situations. Glad he's coming back.

* Kerry Neal (56) - 69%. Played first & second downs; would come off field in favor of Shembo (22%) in third down situations. Need to find a replacement here. Is Shembo capable of being an every-down player?

Manti Teo (5) - 100%. All-Hawaiian, all the time. Never takes a break.

* Brian Smith (58) - 88%. Played nearly the entire game at ILB. How much of this was due to Carlo Calabrese coming off of injury (played just 13% against Miami)? Either way, we'll need a replacement, whether it's Carlo or someone else.

* Darrin Walls (2) - 88%. Rarely came off the field, seemed to be spelled by Blanton only occasionally in regular 3-4-4 packages.

Gary Gray (4) - 84%. Looks like Blanton was the super sub behind Gray as well. Gray seemed to come off only to rest.

Robert Blanton (12) - 59%. In addition to relieving Walls & Gray, Blanton was also the starting nickel back (nickel was used about 30% of the time). Obviously he'll pick up for Walls as a starter, so the question becomes who takes his place as the super sub & primary nickel?

Harrison Smith (22) - 100%. Glad he's coming back.

Zeke Motta (17) - 78%. Likely played so much because of Slaughter's injury status. Spelled by Slaughter when he wasn't playing. Also in nickel package.

Jamoris Slaughter (26) - 22%. Used primarily in relief against Miami.

-------

Other small fries: Hafis in for Johnson on two plays, Schwenke in for KLM on one play. Each substitution came after six consecutive plays or so by the starter.

more replacement thoughts

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 13:22 @ Jay
edited by Jay, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 13:38

I actually feel pretty good about the replacement situations. Issues in order from most concerning to least:

1. Third CB/Nickel (for Blanton moving in for Walls): as we've seen, a third corner in this defense got onto the field quite a bit (nearly 60%). These roles could be split if we can't find someone to do both (nickel, for instance, could be a third safety instead of a third CB, as it was earlier in the year before Blanton took over nickel from Motta), but you still need someone as a pure CB backup. The obvious replacement by seniority is Lo Wood, but I'd feel better with a few more options here, rather than playing a guy by default, because he's the only one around. I hope Bennett Jackson competes.

2. ILB (for Brian Smith): Carlo should obviously step back into the starting role, but behind him (and Teo) seems to be Anthony McDonald, and then you drop to the defensive scout team award winner Kendall Moore. No matter the situation, this defense always puts two ILBs on the field, so we need a lot more coverage here in case of calamity.

3. OLB (for Neal): Shembo, Fox, Spond, Utupo or maybe one of the frosh, like Ishaq, Rabasa, or Councell. Someone should emerge; not as worried here as I am about ILB. I also think you can adjust your front to account for a weaker (or one-dimensional) OLB, so if no every-down super-starter emerges it's not the end of the world.

4. DL/NG (for Ian): We've got Nix as the exciting new guy, but Cwynar and Hafis also logged a lot of meaningful snaps here, and showed they were up to the task when Ian was out with injury. If Nix proves to be beast in the middle, we should be able to keep the 3-DL front in the rotation; if he needs some work, we've shown we can go 4-DL and not miss a beat. Then you've got Schwenke, perhaps Stockton or Newman, and all the freshman stars, which allow you to deploy the line in a variety of ways. Of all the replacement issues on defense, this one actually worries me least.

Extra credit for a "beast" reference

by BPH, San Diego, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 15:18 @ Jay

Couple thoughts:

Regarding the corner situation, I think one thing to watch for is the possibility of Slaughter filling Blanton's role if Wood or Jackson are slow to emerge and Motta continues to improve. I'd prefer that Slaughter win the free safety job and Wood, Jackson or a freshman is the nickel back because it would make us more athletic, but the other scenario is a nice fallback.

Regarding the linebackers, I see Fox and Spond as swing players. If Filer or Shembo aren't up to the task of replacing Neal, then one or both of Fox/Spond will play Dog. If Kelly is more worried about the depth behind Teo and Calabrese, then one or both will be inside.

Re: #3-are you writing off Filer or did you just forget him?

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 13:49 @ Jay

Either way, that's probably not good.

I totally forgot him

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 13:50 @ Jim (fisherj08)

It's understandable, isn't it?

He jumped all the way out of a filled swimming pool

by Greg, the 'Dena, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 13:52 @ Jay

And that's all I got.

If we ever play Navy underwater, he's our guy.

by KGB, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 13:55 @ Greg

[ No text ]

If we ever play Navy underwater, we're fooked

by MadisonDomer, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 22:40 @ KGB

[ No text ]

We probably have as much coming back as any team....

by FunkDoctorSpock, Your Nightmares, B* tches, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 13:29 @ Jay

...in the country. We're only losing 70 of 286 starts.

Ian is missing an asterisk, but nice work.

by Savage, Around Ye Olde Colonial College, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 13:12 @ Jay

It would be interesting to see what happened with the linebackers when Manti went out with injury in the second.

I know McDonald jumped in there a bit

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 13:31 @ Savage

I can't remember if they continued to keep Carlo back or not.

I broke down every play from Head's point of view

by Busco21, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 12:39 @ Jay

That's right, Head. As in Head Hunter. Just the bowl game.

I need to get it to you, but it's on paper, not computer. Several very interesting things to look at coverage-wise.

Head. Pants. Now!

by Greg, the 'Dena, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 12:52 @ Busco21

[ No text ]

random note

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 12:22 @ Jay

Shembo came into the game on every third down (except once).

They sure move Fleming around a lot, don't they?

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 12:21 @ Jay

[ No text ]

as a point of clarification

by Pat, Right behind you, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 12:37 @ Jim (fisherj08)

I put Fleming (and others) on the DL when they had their hand on the ground prior to the snap. If they were just on their feet, I listed them at OLB. It's probably not a precise record of the defensive alignment, but it was just my own shorthand way of noting the difference.

yep

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 12:26 @ Jim (fisherj08)

He's like a sidewinder missile. First he's over here--then he's over here. (ht: Dana Carvey)

374450 Postings in 32693 Threads, 204 registered users, 119 users online (4 registered, 115 guests)
Contact