Documentary rec: Oceans Apart on Amazon Prime

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 08:37 (1129 days ago)

I believe RVJ and I are the only big rugby fans here, but I watched a documentary last night about the sport and its impact on the Pacific Islands of Fiji, Tonga and Samoa and thought the issues it raises could eventually start to become relevant to college/pro football.

The basic tension is the islands produce pro athletes at an incredible rate--the highest per capita in the world, the doc contends--but the poverty, corruption and mismanagement of the governing boards (which are sometimes headed by prime ministers) creates a cycle where players go abroad and play for adoptive nations rather than their homes so they can be paid decent wages (large portions of England's starting lineup have Pacific Island heritage; Ireland routed Samoa in the last World Cup with a Samoan wearing green). So the sport is actually atrophying at the same time it's a lifeline.

Made me wonder about some of the dynamics between Hawaii high schools and colleges on the mainland. (The Irish team I root for actually recruited a Hawaiian nose tackle out of high school a few years ago, and he was so prized as to be poached by a rival last summer).

The doc was made by a former Samoan international, and while his interviews aren't great the visuals of conditions for PI athletes are really striking (One of the best players in the world was originally discovered working in a Fijian diamond mine). Only about an hour long if you are bored of everything else in your queue.

Have any of you watched HBO's Woody Allen doc yet?

by HCE, Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 11:28 (1129 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

I haven't, but I'm curious what people make of it so far. Not sure I have the stomach or the emotional bandwidth for it, but the various syonpses I've seen make it sound pretty damning for Allen. It's hard to imagine ever watching Manhattan again, at least.

Yes.

by PMan @, The Banks of the Spokane River, Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 15:11 (1129 days ago) @ HCE
edited by PMan, Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 15:14

Not good for Woody at all. Large portions of the doc are the family videos Mia took over the years. Mia’s and Dylan’s supporters are a pretty strong group, including Ronan. As an aside, they might as well go and announce the DNA results on Ronan because he is like if you did one of those computerized mashups of “What will our child look like” between Frank and Mia.

not yet, not sure I want to

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 11:33 (1129 days ago) @ HCE

I read Allen's autobiography last year, which was very critical of Mia. So my first reaction to learning there was a new doc was that it must be a Farrow rebuttal project. I don't know what to think about the validity of either sides' claims. It's pretty murky and neither seems entirely sympathetic.

What did you make of Allen's book?

by HCE, Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 12:10 (1129 days ago) @ Jay

The reviews were pretty brutal.

Regarding l'affaire Allen, I do think Dylan Farrow, if no one else, is sympathetic.

enjoyed reading it, especially about his early career

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, February 25, 2021, 10:01 (1128 days ago) @ HCE

How he started by submitting jokes to a newspaper, his standup act, writing jokes for other comics, his first movie scripts, directing for the first time, etc. When it gets into the Mia stuff it becomes less interesting (to me).

I don't know what to believe about the allegations from Mia and Dylan. Woody maintains some points in his defense that shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, and Mia is no saint.

Dylan's story has always been consistent, right?

by HCE, Thursday, February 25, 2021, 11:02 (1128 days ago) @ Jay

You're right that Mia is no saint, but Allen's "scorned woman" defense is also problematic, particularly in its misogynistic overtones.

Personally, I just can't think of any compelling reasons not to credit Dylan's account, beyond the fact that I enjoy Allen's work and so would rather it not be true.

Woody contends (edit)

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, February 25, 2021, 11:20 (1128 days ago) @ HCE
edited by Jay, Thursday, February 25, 2021, 12:00

(and IIRC has some corroboration from psychologists involved with the case) that Dylan was coached in her testimony. And all of this unfolded against the backdrop of a custody battle that originally had nothing to do with the allegations.

Also important (and apparently left out of the HBO documentary) is testimony from Moses Farrow who is a therapist himself now, and who still defends Woody.

Edited to add: this is the piece written by Moses a few years ago. http://mosesfarrow.blogspot.com/2018/05/a-son-speaks-out-by-moses-farrow.html

Yeah, I'm not saying it isn't complicated

by HCE, Thursday, February 25, 2021, 12:05 (1128 days ago) @ Jay

It is, and I agree that Mia Farrow's credibility is questionable. Still, Allen--the guy who dated a seventeen year-old while in his forties and married his partner's daughter--isn't exactly credible, either, and Dylan's account has been the same for nearly thirty years now.

The HBO doc hasn't presented its smoking gun, yet.

by PMan @, The Banks of the Spokane River, Thursday, February 25, 2021, 14:01 (1128 days ago) @ HCE

Supposedly, it is video of the child Dylan describing the abuse at about the time it occurred.

We recently enjoyed 3 BBC mystery remakes

by IrishGuard, Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 11:01 (1129 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

ABC Murders with John Malkovich and And Then There Were None with Charles Dance and Sam Neil. Excellent remakes, especially the latter, which was terrifying.

Last night we caught An Inspector Calls with David Thewlis, which was likewise excellent.

watch Stanley Tucci, Searching for Italy

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 09:39 (1129 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

It's a tried and true travelogue format but 1) it's gorgeous and 2) Tucci is a wonderful travel guide.

Makes me hate Tucci.

by PMan @, The Banks of the Spokane River, Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 15:03 (1129 days ago) @ Jay

Solely out of pure green jealousy.

We've watched Tuscany and Lazio on demand, so far.

+1

by JD in Portland @, Portland OR, Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 10:22 (1129 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Another one - The Painter and The Thief

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Wednesday, February 24, 2021, 09:24 (1129 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

It's on Hulu. A drug addict steals two paintings from a struggling artist and their lives entangle from there. Thoughtful and full of spirit. A little cloying at times, but a very dynamic ending.