the most recent ND magazine, "domers in the news", p.57

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 10:17 (1164 days ago)

Yikes, what a rundown.

Sobering. And embarrassing.

by San Pedro @, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 15:42 (1163 days ago) @ Jay

Notre Dame’s snuggle up to a despicable, racist president and his administration is a stain that won’t go away. We have gone from Hesburgh locking arms with MLK to Jenkins thumbing his nose at life saving protocols while celebrating with a garden full of fascist backslappers.

I’m w/ you. I will NEVER get over it

by JD in Portland @, Portland OR, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 22:15 (1163 days ago) @ San Pedro

- No text -

Ugh, I had chicken patties same time as Schlapp, McGahn, and

by Albie, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 14:01 (1163 days ago) @ Jay

f'n Ratcliffe! Gross. I really could have gone the rest of my life without learning about the last one.

They are just loathsome people all around.

Link, if you want to be e-depressed.

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 11:27 (1164 days ago) @ Jay

https://magazine.nd.edu/stories/domers-in-the-news-67/

--
Sometimes I rhyme slow sometimes I rhyme quick.

That's great

by CW (Rakes) @, Harlan County, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 11:38 (1164 days ago) @ domer.mq

What a shitty university.

The last paragraph or so brings it back a little

by MattG, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 11:43 (1164 days ago) @ CW (Rakes)

But yeah, Notre Dame - more than any other institution in any field - got WAY too close to Trump.

How on earth does ND produce Matt Schlapp?

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 11:45 (1164 days ago) @ MattG

I truly don't get it. Just an abundantly terrible creature.

--

He's only a half step worse

by Mark, O Town, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 19:12 (1163 days ago) @ domer.mq

than one of my old ND roommates.

That dood was just messed up. I blocked social media connections to him when he kept spouting conspiracy BS 3 years ago.

I'm sorry I dont need anyone's BS pro-life conspiracy propaganda in my social feed. No HRC does not run a pedi ring. If you can't recognize basic science principals, we really wont ever be friends.

NDs got plenty of weirdos in their community ... And I remember one of the priests I had to take a class from as being quite a whack job too. They should have kept him away from the kids, but that didnt come to light until a decade after I finished.

--
"2020 ... Let's win it all ..."

We all knew a dozen proto-Schlapps by 1996

by MattG, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 11:50 (1164 days ago) @ domer.mq

ND produced the PBR!

Yeah, I'm '98, and OTOH I could tab a dozen guys

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 11:52 (1164 days ago) @ MattG

Way more if you give me a few minutes to think. Important to note that GLND/SMC started to come into its own while I was there, and in the reaction to that (in hindsight) people told on themselves pretty obviously.

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

There were some interesting things going on then

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 13:44 (1163 days ago) @ Brendan

Father David Garrick saying he was gay was really difficult to process at the time.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/04/us/gay-priest-quits-notre-dame-and-a-debate-on-sin-e...

I would have avoided his Masses, but not for *that*

by Jack @, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 14:02 (1163 days ago) @ Domer99

Life is too short to listen to "terribly long homilies".

it was a pretext

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 14:34 (1163 days ago) @ Jack

- No text -

So am I, and I'll bet that the list would have some overlap

by MattG, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 11:56 (1164 days ago) @ Brendan

Granted, most of us were kind of coming into our own in a political sense, and I'm guessing that a lot of us were people like me - raised in GOP households, pretty well-off, pretty sheltered, and engaging with left-right political thought in a pretty facile sense if at all.

I'm sure that many of the Limbaugh ditto-heads I knew at ND have turned into the Dirtbag Left like me.

Probably

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 12:07 (1163 days ago) @ MattG

I was pretty conservative myself back then; I grew up with my father listening religiously to Rush and Bob Grant in the car. I was ahead of the game because, as everyone knows, anyone who isn't a conservative by 30 has no brain, and I was *way* younger than 30. Ha! Idiots!

I mean it's not that shocking that a Midwest Catholic university - and one that for better or worse has clung unabashedly to its Catholicism unlike, say, Georgetown (my father just posthumously shuddered) - has served as a safe haven for conservative and even ultra-conservative thought. The "traditional" Church is sort of a natural fit for ultra-conservative thought, after all. The original Church is something of a better fit for liberal/progressive social theory, of course, but that's an uphill climb against traditionalism.

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

Tradition is heavy

by Regular Joseph @, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 18:31 (1163 days ago) @ Brendan

I like this traditional vs original church framework. I think Tradition vs. ____, is an informative way of looking at cultural movements.

Most people, most of the time crave tradition, a set of accepted, familiar rules that shape life. I love, or maybe am passionate about, all kinds of traditions, but gold helmets and the order of the mass are two.

The resonance between religious tradition and conservative reverence for government or conservative reverence for familiar power structures is easy. It's also easy to see how Tradition becomes a god. Something like critical reflection and continual rebirth is the necessary complement, and I work pretty hard on that.

It would be great if everyone worked as hard to critically appraise and take some distance from what's familiar, but I feel like we have to harness tradition as a cultural engine, because history seems to show you can't squash it without killing a solid chunk of people.

What else can you say as a Notre Dame partisan.

Ok, but Matt Schlapp is just an outright fascist.

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 12:47 (1163 days ago) @ Brendan

- No text -

--

At least 2 won't be in the news as much

by Jack @, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 11:22 (1164 days ago) @ Jay
edited by Jack, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 11:26

I'm thinking of he who holds the title of "Notre Dame Graduate With The Most Punchable Face" and he who holds the title of "Suckup With No Qualifications For The Job" (who will be unemployed at noon Eastern tomorrow).

That is, unless it's FoxNews or Newsmax or any other place I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. But they won't be anywhere near the White House.