the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

important clarification

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, January 18, 2021, 13:13

This "Great Man" nonsense is the worst version of history,

by HCE, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:47 @ Jay

and the last thing this country needs is more statues of problematic people. I look forward to this idea never happening.

All great men of history are horrific.

by nedhead, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 13:07 @ HCE

[ No text ]

Honestly, I love this incredibly chaotic idea

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:30 @ Jay

I want to go to the big weird statue garden, thank you Mr President

It's the "Poker Playing Presidents" theory of history

by HullieAndMikes, Joe Turner's bookcase, ALHS, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:59 @ Jim (fisherj08)

You know, those paintings where Andrew Jackson and Woodrow Wilson are hanging out with Obama and Nixon, Reagan and Teddy Roosevelt are sharing a huge laugh at some joke apparently told by Abe Lincoln.

Jimmy Carter is passed out on the couch.

by Romulox, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 10:54 @ HullieAndMikes

[ No text ]

That reminds me of a question that's been nagging at me.

by hlewis, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 09:56 @ HullieAndMikes

What the fuck is Jon McNaughton going to do with himself after tomorrow?

Actually that's kind of a dumb question, when I think about it.

[image]

true. Madame Tussaud's is pretty entertaining

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:51 @ Jim (fisherj08)

I just don't want this thing branded as anything officially U.S. Government sponsored. Like IG says, put it on Route 66 near the Alligator Farm and Meremec Caverns.

In order to spur economic activity in an underserved area

by IrishGuard, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:42 @ Jim (fisherj08)
edited by IrishGuard, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 09:00

I suggest it be built along I-70 in western Kansas. It'd be great shot in the arm to the local economy. The locals can ring it with gas stations as tchotchke bodegas. Perhaps the local tribe could install a bank or two of slots. There could be one of those "Mystery Spots" or vertigo houses. Hell, maybe a go cart track. Certainly a few pirate-themed putt-putt courses.

Then you could have billboards stretching a 100 miles in either direction, of the Meramec Caverns and "See Rock City!" variety.

Sweet. I call the T Roosevelt cart.

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 09:01 @ IrishGuard

I want to race against the other POTUSes.

---
Sometimes I rhyme slow sometimes I rhyme quick.

Shaped like a Bull Moose.

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 11:25 @ domer.mq

[ No text ]

No Fred Rogers, but yes Alex Trebek?

by MattG, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:04 @ Jay

I’ve heard Trebek was a really cool guy, but this is obviously bc he just died.

I’m hoping for some kind of Spinal Tap resolution

by irishoutsider @, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 00:45 @ Jay

This many statues sure looks expensive. I don’t know how we expect to pay for this and not repaint an F-35.

Maybe Trump should have to pay for it as it’s his legacy. Maybe his people can take on the project as they are the best people and know lots of the best things.

Or he can leave it to the new administration to take care of. I don’t see anything here listing the dimensions of the statues.

Anyway, please come back for a photo opp with your miniature Barry Goldwater and try to look happy about it ok?

Former record holder

by Chris (HCC) @, Paradise, Monday, January 18, 2021, 15:59 @ Jay

How dare they try to attribute the current records to that lying, cheating son of a bitch.

And he added Grover Cleveland

by Brendan @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Monday, January 18, 2021, 14:52 @ Jay

Kind of an odd choice. Folks thinking it might be a harbinger of him running in 2024 - I say great, because that should really motivate the fence-sitting Senate Republicans to convict and ban him.

---
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

Probably thought he created Sesame Street

by Jeff (BGS), A starter home in suburban Tempe, Monday, January 18, 2021, 16:07 @ Brendan

[ No text ]

---
At night, the ice weasels come.

maybe he meant Grover Cleveland Alexander

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:22 @ Jeff (BGS)

[image]

I see only 2 baseball players: Jackie Robinson and Cy Young

Jim Thorpe, too.

by Savage, Around Ye Olde Colonial College, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:36 @ Jay

(Little known fact, though: Sacagawea would've been great but she couldn't hit the curve ball.)

and Roberto Clemente. (And Babe Ruth)

by MattG, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 12:06 @ Savage
edited by MattG, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 12:10

You guys had me worried for a bit there. I actually thought maybe he left him off because of the "helping Puerto Rico after a storm" thing.

EDIT - Also Lou Gehrig

Grover Cleveland won the popular vote 3 straight times

by Jack @, Monday, January 18, 2021, 15:49 @ Brendan

Trump would be jealous if he had ever heard of Grover Cleveland.

Cobbling together a list of Americans

by IrishGuard, Monday, January 18, 2021, 13:27 @ Jay

by the entirely formal criterion of "having done something important"--without respect to what that something was--makes for some absurd bedfellows.

I hope they slot Dorothy Day between Samuel Colt & John Wayne just to heighten the contrast.

top 10 bottom 10

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, January 18, 2021, 13:32 @ IrishGuard

Section 3(c)(i) of Executive Order 13934 is amended to read as follows: “The National Garden should be composed of statues, including statues of Ansel Adams, John Adams, Samuel Adams, Muhammad Ali, Luis Walter Alvarez, Susan B. Anthony, Hannah Arendt, Louis Armstrong, Neil Armstrong, Crispus Attucks, John James Audubon, Lauren Bacall, Clara Barton, Todd Beamer, Alexander Graham Bell, Roy Benavidez, Ingrid Bergman, Irving Berlin, Humphrey Bogart, Daniel Boone, Norman Borlaug, William Bradford, Herb Brooks, Kobe Bryant, William F. Buckley, Jr., Sitting Bull, Frank Capra, Andrew Carnegie, Charles Carroll, John Carroll, George Washington Carver, Johnny Cash, Joshua Chamberlain, Whittaker Chambers, Johnny “Appleseed” Chapman, Ray Charles, Julia Child, Gordon Chung-Hoon, William Clark, Henry Clay, Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), Roberto Clemente, Grover Cleveland, Red Cloud, William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody, Nat King Cole, Samuel Colt, Christopher Columbus, Calvin Coolidge, James Fenimore Cooper, Davy Crockett, Benjamin O. Davis, Jr., Miles Davis, Dorothy Day, Joseph H. De Castro, Emily Dickinson, Walt Disney, William “Wild Bill” Donovan, Jimmy Doolittle, Desmond Doss, Frederick Douglass, Herbert Henry Dow, Katharine Drexel, Peter Drucker, Amelia Earhart, Thomas Edison, Jonathan Edwards, Albert Einstein, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Duke Ellington, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Medgar Evers, David Farragut, the Marquis de La Fayette, Mary Fields, Henry Ford, George Fox, Aretha Franklin, Benjamin Franklin, Milton Friedman, Robert Frost, Gabby Gabreski, Bernardo de Gálvez, Lou Gehrig, Theodor Seuss Geisel, Cass Gilbert, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, John Glenn, Barry Goldwater, Samuel Gompers, Alexander Goode, Carl Gorman, Billy Graham, Ulysses S. Grant, Nellie Gray, Nathanael Greene, Woody Guthrie, Nathan Hale, William Frederick “Bull” Halsey, Jr., Alexander Hamilton, Ira Hayes, Hans Christian Heg, Ernest Hemingway, Patrick Henry, Charlton Heston, Alfred Hitchcock, Billie Holiday, Bob Hope, Johns Hopkins, Grace Hopper, Sam Houston, Whitney Houston, Julia Ward Howe, Edwin Hubble, Daniel Inouye, Andrew Jackson, Robert H. Jackson, Mary Jackson, John Jay, Thomas Jefferson, Steve Jobs, Katherine Johnson, Barbara Jordan, Chief Joseph, Elia Kazan, Helen Keller, John F. Kennedy, Francis Scott Key, Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King, Jr., Russell Kirk, Jeane Kirkpatrick, Henry Knox, Tadeusz Kościuszko, Harper Lee, Pierre Charles L’Enfant, Meriwether Lewis, Abraham Lincoln, Vince Lombardi, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Clare Boothe Luce, Douglas MacArthur, Dolley Madison, James Madison, George Marshall, Thurgood Marshall, William Mayo, Christa McAuliffe, William McKinley, Louise McManus, Herman Melville, Thomas Merton, George P. Mitchell, Maria Mitchell, William “Billy” Mitchell, Samuel Morse, Lucretia Mott, John Muir, Audie Murphy, Edward Murrow, John Neumann, Annie Oakley, Jesse Owens, Rosa Parks, George S. Patton, Jr., Charles Willson Peale, William Penn, Oliver Hazard Perry, John J. Pershing, Edgar Allan Poe, Clark Poling, John Russell Pope, Elvis Presley, Jeannette Rankin, Ronald Reagan, Walter Reed, William Rehnquist, Paul Revere, Henry Hobson Richardson, Hyman Rickover, Sally Ride, Matthew Ridgway, Jackie Robinson, Norman Rockwell, Caesar Rodney, Eleanor Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt, Betsy Ross, Babe Ruth, Sacagawea, Jonas Salk, John Singer Sargent, Antonin Scalia, Norman Schwarzkopf, Junípero Serra, Elizabeth Ann Seton, Robert Gould Shaw, Fulton Sheen, Alan Shepard, Frank Sinatra, Margaret Chase Smith, Bessie Smith, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Jimmy Stewart, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Gilbert Stuart, Anne Sullivan, William Howard Taft, Maria Tallchief, Maxwell Taylor, Tecumseh, Kateri Tekakwitha, Shirley Temple, Nikola Tesla, Jefferson Thomas, Henry David Thoreau, Jim Thorpe, Augustus Tolton, Alex Trebek, Harry S. Truman, Sojourner Truth, Harriet Tubman, Dorothy Vaughan, C. T. Vivian, John von Neumann, Thomas Ustick Walter, Sam Walton, Booker T. Washington, George Washington, John Washington, John Wayne, Ida B. Wells-Barnett, Phillis Wheatley, Walt Whitman, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Roger Williams, John Winthrop, Frank Lloyd Wright, Orville Wright, Wilbur Wright, Alvin C. York, Cy Young, and Lorenzo de Zavala.”

Hannah Arendt, Kobe Bryant and Elia Kazan

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:52 @ Jay

Perfect list, no edits needed, good job Mr. President

who are three people who have never been in my kitchen

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:53 @ Jim (fisherj08)

[ No text ]

Some nasty racists and xenophobes in there.

by PMan @, The Banks of the Spokane River, Monday, January 18, 2021, 15:29 @ Jay

[ No text ]

But no Confederate generals!

by Jack @, Monday, January 18, 2021, 15:52 @ PMan

[ No text ]

Mine

by IrishGuard, Monday, January 18, 2021, 13:52 @ Jay
edited by IrishGuard, Monday, January 18, 2021, 14:00

Top 10
Hannah Arendt
Wright Brothers (tie)
MLK Jr.
Sojourner Truth
Nikola Tesla
Franklin D Roosevelt
Dorothy Day
Abraham Lincoln
Thomas Edison (though an asshole)
Albert Einstein

Bottom 10
John Wayne
Andrew Jackson (sitting uncomfortably alongside Sacajawea, Tecumseh, Chief Joseph Sitting Bull, etc.)
Sam Walton
Samuel Colt
William F. Buckley Jr. (barf)
Andrew Carnegie
Christopher Columbus
Milton Friedman
Barry Goldwater
Charlton Heston

WTF?
Kobe Bryant
Norman Schwarzkopf
Charlton Heston

I confess my ignorance concerning a number of these people.

Where are all the Mississippi Delta blues guys? Hendrix? Tupac?

Carnegie’s legacy is mixed.

by PMan @, The Banks of the Spokane River, Monday, January 18, 2021, 20:35 @ IrishGuard

But tough to put him in the bottom 10 of this group given his philanthropy, I think.

Christopher Columbus

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, January 18, 2021, 17:10 @ IrishGuard

The explorer one, or the one who once put Donald Trump in a move?

Columbus is a weird choice. Not American, even abstractly

by MattG, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:01 @ Jay

Guilty of massive atrocities, the kind of stuff that seems over the top brutal even for the late 1400s. But hey, we had to get the rubber somehow.

Weird choice for a list of great Americans. An Italian guy who went on exploration missions for Spain and Portugal, died believing he’d arrived in Asia, and never spent one day or even SAW what ultimately became the USA.

May as well put Hernan Cortes on there - they had equal nothing roles in Making America Great.

There's just so much conservative red meat in there

by IrishGuard, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:24 @ MattG
edited by IrishGuard, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:29

Elizabeth Ann Seton AND Katherine Drexel AND Fulton Sheen? Really? Granted, the first two are literal saints, but their inclusion reeks of a clerical bone-tossing.

Surprised Phyllis Schlafly or John Birch didn't make the cut.

no Lou Holtz statue though

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:28 @ IrishGuard

Maybe they can borrow ours?

Speaking of Lou

by hobbs, San Diego, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 14:37 @ Jay
edited by hobbs, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 14:41

Color me shocked that he wasn't on stage at the Jan 6th DC rally. If that was a conscious decision on his part, which I tend to doubt, its the best one he's made since retiring from ND.

You're thinking about this way too hard

by HullieAndMikes, Joe Turner's bookcase, ALHS, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 08:10 @ MattG

That D- elementary school history report they put out yesterday shows the level we're operating on here.

452172 Postings in 38253 Threads, 208 registered users, 65 users online (9 registered, 56 guests)
Contact