I'm going to watch this Super Bowl

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Sunday, January 19, 2020, 17:09 (1552 days ago)
edited by hobbs, Sunday, January 19, 2020, 17:16

I think a lot of people were sleeping on SF. They ain't sleeping anymore. That team is nasty on both sides of the ball.

KC is good but I don't think those long developing routes they use are going to be there against that SF front.

It pains me to praise SF but Lynch and Shanahan have done a great job rebuilding that franchise.

BTW, on a field of physically impressive specimens Nick Bosa stands out!

The Joe Montana Bowl

by Jack @, Monday, January 20, 2020, 05:19 (1551 days ago) @ hobbs

- No text -

I remember Montana's last regular season game

by omahadomer, Monday, January 20, 2020, 09:41 (1551 days ago) @ Jack

as a Niner. It was a Monday night game against Detroit. Nothing was at stake -- the playoff berths were set. I think Young played the first half and Montana played the second. Dierdorf (I think) said of Montana: "I just want to see him throw a touchdown pass and one more time raise his arms." Montana obliged.

There were few bigger Montana fans than me. I think he's the greatest NFL QB of all time. But he had to be traded. Young was the NFL MVP the year Montana was hurt almost all of the year. You can't bench the NFL MVP. Plus Young was younger and was a tremendous runner. He wasn't as good of a QB over his career as Montana, but he was a better option for SF then.

I would like to have seen Montana

by Jeff (BGS) @, A starter home in suburban Tempe, Monday, January 20, 2020, 13:49 (1551 days ago) @ omahadomer

- No text -

--
At night, the ice weasels come.

And the sea will grant each man new hope

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Monday, January 20, 2020, 16:28 (1551 days ago) @ Jeff (BGS)

As sleep brings dreams of home

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

Helena, Missoula, oh I wanna take ya

by Jack @, Monday, January 20, 2020, 15:26 (1551 days ago) @ Jeff (BGS)
edited by Jack, Monday, January 20, 2020, 15:35

Anaconda, Eureka, come on pretty mama . . .

KC opens as a 1-point favorite --

by omahadomer, Sunday, January 19, 2020, 19:41 (1552 days ago) @ hobbs

This is as close to a pick 'em game as I can remember in the Super Bowl.

Mahomes is the kind of QB that gives SF trouble. Of the three games they lost (Ravens on a walk-off FB and Seattle in OT) both had highly mobile QB's. I very much wanted SF to play GB, and not Seattle. The first half was basically a continuation of the 37-8 beat-down (after the Packers had a bye-week).

On the other hand, SF's running attack is much harder to stop than the "pound Henry at you" scheme of the Titans. They run out of a million formations. And Jimmy G. hasn't had to pass in the playoffs, but he's a good player. SF won some shootouts (like the Saints game) when SF had half its defense hurt. I don't think SF is going to be able to win this game with 8 passing attempts.

if we did 4 outcomes...

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Monday, January 20, 2020, 07:10 (1551 days ago) @ omahadomer

SF Blowout -- KC has no answers for SF's ground game. SF defense doesn't completely bottle up Mahomes and the offense, but slows it down enough. SF wins a 37-24 type affair.
SF Close A -- KC has no answers for SF's ground game, but SF doesn't have an answer for Mahomes and the offense. SF wins a 34-31 type affair.
SF Close B -- KC stops the ground game, but Jimmy G does just enough in the air. They slow down Mahomes to the tune of 28-24
KC Close A -- KC stops the ground game, but Jimmy G still moves it through the air. Mahomes wins the QB dual to get Reid his first SB, 31-21
KC Close B -- total barn-burner. KC comes out on top 48-45
KC Blowout -- KC stops the ground game, and Jimmy G shows himself as a limited QB. Mahomes goes bananas and Chicago as a city self-immolates. KC rolls 45-21 but it isn't that close.

I'm a little surprised that KC is favored --

by omahadomer, Monday, January 20, 2020, 09:44 (1551 days ago) @ HumanRobot

I thought SF would be about a FG favorite, but 1-point lines are close to meaningless. If you bet a 1-point favorite, the only risk you take if your team wins is that if it's a one-point win it's a push.

I still think OT games should count as a half point win regardless of the final score, but Vegas doesn't agree with me.

Re: Overtime

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:11 (1551 days ago) @ omahadomer

Can you imagine if the SB goes to OT and gets decided on a first possession score.

The chatter on that would last months.

IMO, that is a bad rule that needs to be addressed.

It already happened (Pats and Falcons in SB LI)

by HCE, Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:24 (1551 days ago) @ hobbs

I don't remember too many complaints about the format at the time, perhaps because the Falcons blew a 25 point lead to get to OT in the first place. Personally, I think the NFL overtime rules are pretty reasonable, particularly compared to what one finds in other sports.

I completely forgot that game

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:25 (1551 days ago) @ HCE

Caught some NFLN coverage last night and they were railing about the OT issue with these two teama and that's what triggered the thought.

Not a fan of the rule. Then again I also hate WC shootouts.

I've come to view penalties as a form of punishment

by HCE, Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:49 (1551 days ago) @ hobbs

for failing to settle matters in the two hours allotted--the football gods, in their cruelty, disdain passivity and profligacy alike. Worse, though, are the tournaments, like the Copa America and the African Cup of Nations, that dispense with overtime and go directly to penalties. The last thing international tournaments need are boring defensive slogs to compliment the already dubious quality of play.

I'm not sure what the perfect overtime system is for football, but I like that the NFL balances the tension of shootouts and sudden death with fidelity to the actual game.

NFL OT is about 50/50 (with some ties) in regular season

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:27 (1551 days ago) @ HCE

However, I recently read that NFL playoff OT games are 7-1 in favor of the 1st possessor, including 5 wins on the 1st possession.

I said it out loud as SF ran the manhood out of Green Bay

by River, Hell of the Upside Down Sinners, Sunday, January 19, 2020, 19:32 (1552 days ago) @ hobbs

If, the 49ers win this Super Bowl I fully expect George Kittle to be MVP.

I kinda was joking when I said it just now after Moestart went in for his 4th TD, but the way the 49ers play there are about 8 potential MVP candidates. KC 2-3. That is what makes the the 49ers so dangerous. Teams have no idea what they will do and that Defense is 2nd to none.

Congrats to Sheldon Day and Mike McGlinchey

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Sunday, January 19, 2020, 18:43 (1552 days ago) @ hobbs

- No text -

O Line is so damn important

by Busco21, Sunday, January 19, 2020, 17:30 (1552 days ago) @ hobbs

I think we all know QB is job one in the NFL. A great one can change any game. But if you have a great O Line, man the advantages are off the charts.

SF is throwing little known RB's out there and moving the ball right down the field the last two games. When it should be the most difficult to do that.

The NFL Network has "The Great Wall of Dallas." Such a good watch. If Payton or Sanders had that kind of O Line? Fuggetaboutit.

Mahomes is electric. This is all so much fun. GB just scored, probably doesn't matter but this sure has been an enjoyable playoffs so far.

GBs defense checked out on that

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Sunday, January 19, 2020, 17:51 (1552 days ago) @ Busco21
edited by hobbs, Sunday, January 19, 2020, 17:58

2nd long drive.

3rd or 4th play of that drive GBs players realized they couldn't stop the backside cut coupled with those sweeps.

Same damn thing his father did with Denver. I guess that speaks to the soundness of the zone blocking concept.

The Niners mauled them in the first game --

by omahadomer, Sunday, January 19, 2020, 18:55 (1552 days ago) @ hobbs

they mauled them in the first half today. Yeah, they played a bit vanilla and threw two (?) passes in the second half.

But the Niners would win 90 out 100 games against the Packers.

The Super Bowl will be more interesting. The QBs that give the Niners trouble are those who will run the ball. The Niners lost a rain-soaked game to the Ravens on a walk-off FG. They split against the Seahawks.

They lost by 7 to the Falcons but that was really a 1 point game, with a garbage TD on a fumble at the end.

I expect a close game.

It speaks to getting beat physically

by Busco21, Sunday, January 19, 2020, 18:49 (1552 days ago) @ hobbs

Getting beat by tricks or speed is one thing. When you realize they are going to just mow you down? Ugh.

It's a slow, painful death.

I dont think most people realize

by Mark, O Town, Monday, January 20, 2020, 20:31 (1551 days ago) @ Busco21

how much SF has invested in their OL & DL.

Its not an accident that SF is winning this way. It took them a few years, but their lines are deep.

There lots of playmakers (Kittle or Sherman etc) that get a lot of attention for SF, but it seems pretty obvious to me that the team MVP would be their DL or their OL. That’s why SF has won so much this season.

--
"2020 ... Let's win it all ..."

When on 3rd and 4 --

by omahadomer, Sunday, January 19, 2020, 19:44 (1552 days ago) @ Busco21

the defense has to defend against both the pass and run, that's something in the NFL. In the NFL, 3rd and 2 is a passing down. 37 points with 8 passing attempts? That's something in the modern NFL