OT - NBA: San Antonio trades Kawhi to

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 11:15 (2108 days ago)
edited by hobbs, Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 11:18

the Toronto Raptors in exchange for DeRozan, somebody I never heard of before, and 1st rd protected (1-20) pick.

No way Kawhi stays in Toronto. One has to think he plays this year out and then heads to LA as a FA.

For the Raptors this rental is an all-in move. With LeBron now in the West they have to view this as their window to get it done. If/When the effort fails they enter the rebuild cycle with some cap space.

FWIW, neither player is happy with the trade. The trade is better for DeRozan than Leonard simply because going from Toronto to Texas ia a tax windfall for an American athlete.

I think its meaningful

by JRT, Island of Misfit Toys, Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 15:50 (2108 days ago) @ hobbs

I think it tips the scales in favor of the East All-Stars (Embiid, Giannis,Kwahi, Oladipo, Kyrie) over the Warriors. East had a big hole at SF.

He was Second Team All-NBA last year

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 11:50 (2108 days ago) @ hobbs

- No text -

Clarification - The 'somebody I've never heard of before'

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 12:30 (2108 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

was in reference to a second player included in the deal (2 players and a protected pick for Leonard).

Former first-round pick from Utah

by BPH, San Diego, Wednesday, July 18, 2018, 19:55 (2107 days ago) @ hobbs

He was one of the key guys on the Raptors' outstanding second unit last season.