Andrew Kristofic, OT from PA, just committed

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Monday, April 23, 2018, 16:56 (2186 days ago)

From Jurkovec’s high school. Only a three star guy, but had high level of interest from Ohio State, Michigan, etc.

He's not a plug-and-play prospect

by Buffalo @, The Dirty South, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 07:06 (2185 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

But how many OL are? Frequently the fully-grown guys are closer to their possible ceiling, while athletic guys with the frame to add weight have more upside, especially at the tackle positions. In my opinion, he's a good pickup.

A question I have though relates to Kelly's ability to target and land the very top recruits. (Top-50 type prospects.) Why can't Notre Dame do this? Obviously, we did under Holtz with some regularity.

Many factors are at play--ND's academic requirements (both qualifying requirements and ongoing once in school) filter out many such prospects, for example. I personally believe that the biggest impediment has been Kelly's inability to string together multiple 10 to 12 win seasons. Every time it seems we have a good season, the next year is mediocre, including losses to teams that have no business beating us. I also think that Kelly has not always prioritized recruiting ability in his staff hires.

There have been a few things out of Kelly's control that impact this: demographic shifts (to the SE/South from the Upper Midwest and Rust Belt), the rise and staying power of Stanford under Harbaugh and Shaw, etc.

Unless ND can get into the playoffs (and have a good showing there), I don't expect this to change under Kelly.

Honest question re Stanford?

by JD in Portland @, Portland OR, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:58 (2185 days ago) @ Buffalo

It is widely held that Stanford is beating us in recruiting.
I have no data but I don’t see many recruiting battles coming down to ND and Stanford and say 1 more where the kid picks Stanford. More often there is some 2-3 Star Stanford kid we passed on who kills us, or west coast kids who didn’t look at us.
And we seem to win battles with Stanford too.
Seems to me we lose a lot more to tOSU and UM.
But this is a lazy arm chair, anecdotal opinion.
Do any of you math wizards track this?

That's happened a handful of times

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:42 (2185 days ago) @ JD in Portland

But it is almost always with 1-2 guys per cycle, rather than large swaths of kids who tilt a recruiting class above ours.

However, Stanford (and to a lesser extent, Duke) does provide the kids who would be disposed to attend ND a different choice. And since our pool of likely elite talent is so small to begin with, when they do take 1-2 guys per cycle from us, it can really sting. It helped to create the vacuum at safety we're just now papering over (Stanford grabbed a bunch of kids we wanted one year at that position), and took away a potential early round NFL draft pick OT type (Foster Sarrell) who could have helped soften the loss of McGlinchey.

In fairness...

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 12:08 (2185 days ago) @ Jeremy (WeIsND)

I think that 2014 safety vacuum was really caused by VanGorder. He didn't offer guys, didn't recruit the guys we did offer, and then when we scrambled late we were chasing guys they were already on, and they're notoriously slow in the recruiting cycle. Plus they were bad bets to begin with - both of Ben Edwards's parents went to Stanford, Justin Reid's brother Eric was playing for the Niners, Frank Buncom wanted to be a doctor, etc.

Man, VanGorder was such a fucking disaster across the board. What might have been.

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

I've found myself wondering, though...

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 13:05 (2185 days ago) @ Brendan

Was it all worth it for Michigan 2014?

Probably not. If it had been a failed one-year experiment, probably. Or maybe even if we had pulled the plug after 2015.

But that was so incredibly awesome that it's worth considering.

The world seemed so bright and wonderful that night

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 07:02 (2184 days ago) @ BillyGoat

37-0 (#RememberTheSix) and the BVG fist pump were indelible images that seemed to portend wonderful times ahead. Alas...

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

last time they beat us in class ranking head to head was '12

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:05 (2185 days ago) @ JD in Portland

I doubt they beat us in any year prior to that, too.

I think Stanford hurts ND

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:04 (2185 days ago) @ JD in Portland

Even if they don’t win the majority of recruiting battles, Stanford seems to be drawing off a decent chunk of the stereotypical ND profile for the Kelly era.

Some numbers from the current and just finished cycles

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:25 (2185 days ago) @ Buffalo
edited by Brendan, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 12:13

I happen to have these easily available on some spreadsheets I put together for 18S work - I didn't use the same spreadsheet format for prior years and it takes a lot of work to put it together, which is why I'm not going back farther. But the point doesn't really change.

In the 2018 cycle, we offered 49 of the top 100 recruits in the 247 Composite, 70 of the top 150, 94 of the top 200, and 108 of the top 250. So in all categories, just under half of the total guys available in each bucket.

In the current cycle, we've offered 51 of the top 100, 69 of the top 150, 89 of the top 200, and 112 of the top 250. More offers will go out, of course, but the ratios won't materially change - again, roughly half or slightly under of the total guys available in each bucket.

Why are we not offering those guys? I can assure you that it's not because the staff doesn't want good football players. Many are not remotely an academic or culture fit. Of those that are left, many aren't interested in leaving the South, Texas, or California. We offer many in this second group guys but the offer typically goes right into the circular file. You can't club them over the head and make them come to South Bend.

That leaves a very small pool of elite talent that (a) we can actually recruit and (b) actually has some level of interest above zero. If you look strictly at five stars, the rate pretty much holds - in fact, this year we've offered 13 out of 34 Composite five-stars. Here's the list, in ranking order:

- WDE Kayvon Thibodeaux, #1: From So Cal, probably headed to USC, never even paid us lip service.

- WDE Zach Harrison, #3: Lives 15 minutes away from Ohio State. Great fit for ND but was never going to happen.

- OLB Owen Pappoe, #8: Lives 45 minutes from Georgia and is very likely headed there.

- RB Quavaris Crouch, #11: LOL. Not even remotely interested in pretending to be interested in ND. From North Carolina, likely headed to Clemson.

- OT Kenyon Green, #14: Texas kid who is leaning to A&M. Sense a theme?

- SDE Chris Hinton, #15: Son of Pro Bowler and Northwestern alum of the same name, had some interest early but Michigan got him before last season started. The stink of 2016 was possibly a factor, or maybe he just liked Michigan that much.

- WR Bru McCoy, #17: Mater Dei kid who just watched JT Daniels and ASB sign with Southern Cal. So...

- S Brian Williams, #20: Texan who would've been ours if Elko had stayed, instead he's committed to A&M.

- DT Faatui Tuitele, #21: Hawaii kid who will likely end up at USC. Polian is trying, but you know how that goes.

- CB Derek Stingley, #25: Baton Rouge kid who was committed to LSU and could very well end up back in their class.

- ILB Brandon Smith, #28: In a dogfight with Penn State but legitimately at the table thanks to Clark Lea. Stay tuned.

- OLB Henry To'oto'o, #32: De La Salle kid who is widely considered to be leaning to UCLA.

- ATH Isaiah Williams, #34: St. Louis kid who Lovie Smith somehow convinced to commit to Illinois; I think the big selling point was that he'll get a shot at QB there, while everyone else wanted him as a WR or DB.

Out of those 13, I'd say there are 2.5 that we had/have a reasonable shot at - Brian Williams, Hinton, and Smith (Williams is the 0.5 because he really committed to a coach, not a school). Last year we offered 17 out of 29 five stars, and I'd say three of them gave us anything more than a cursory glance - NPF, Salyer, and ASB. That's not for a lack of trying - these kids just aren't interested in what ND's selling, at least not enough to leave home or choose the more difficult path than Giant State U.

IMO Stanford is virtually a non-factor in our inability to land five stars; yes, they've landed guys like Solomon Thomas and Foster Sarell, who were great fits for ND, but generally we recruit better than they do and the guys they take from us aren't the five stars.

Our problem with signing five stars is primarily geography and fit. If we won consistently we could overcome those factors to a degree, but we'll never be able to stockpile elite guys like Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, and USC do. USC can land three California five stars a year by putting a sock monkey in charge of recruiting. Meyer, Saban, and Swinney all have assembled elite winning AND recruiting machines that get to work with an unrestricted pool. We can't match that even if we're winning 12 games a year because we start out unable to recruit at least half of the elite guys.

I think it'll be incredibly difficult for to sign more than one or two five-stars in any given cycle, and even that would probably need the support of consistent 10-win seasons. So that's a big part of the goal, of course, and then I think the other part is beating the competition in evaluation and development.

--

Rivals top 50 for 2019

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 12:19 (2185 days ago) @ Brendan
edited by KGB, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 12:48

FL - 9
GA - 7
TX - 7
LA - 5
AL - 3
CA - 3
TN - 2
MI - 2

1 each - NC, WV, VA, OH, SC, MN, AZ, MD, MO, OK, HI, WA

By my count, there are only 3 of the 50 who live within 300 miles of South Bend. Most are more than 500 miles away; if you're lucky, it's a long day in the car to get from one to the other. Anyone who thinks that the domestic migration trends over the past two decades don't make ND's job a lot more difficult is fucking deluded.

Only 6 West of the Rockies

by PasadenaDomer @, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 14:48 (2185 days ago) @ KGB

by my quick count, and one of those is in Hawaii. CA used to be known as a hot bed of talent. I know this is only a one year sample, however I wonder how the distribution is over the last 5 years along with the distribution of 4 star talent.

10 of the top 50 in 2018.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 12:29 (2184 days ago) @ PasadenaDomer

7 in CA, 3 in NV. 8 of the top 50 in 2017; 6 CA, 1 NV, 1 UT.

Absolutely

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 12:22 (2185 days ago) @ KGB

The effective talent neutering of IL/MI/OH/PA is substantial and has dried up a significant historical source of ND's blue-chip recruits. They all turn out some solid prospects, of course, but in nowhere near the numbers they used to.

Chris Zorich is now playing in Atlanta, Rocket Ismail in Miami, Bryant Young in Tennessee. It's a huge factor.

--

Was Jaylon the last five star? And Kiel before?

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:03 (2185 days ago) @ Brendan

Sort of proving the contrapositive — the five stars that come are locals.

ND's Composite five-stars under Kelly

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:59 (2185 days ago) @ HumanRobot

2010 - None
2011 - Lynch, Ishaq (Tuitt was just barely outside)
2012 - Kiel
2013 - Jaylon, Redfield, Vanderdoes (I know, I know, but we did sign him)
2014 - None
2015 - None
2016 - Kraemer
2017 - None
2018 - None
2019 - None (so far, Brandon Smith is probably the last real shot at one)

There are some guys who deserve honorable mention for being a five-star on at least one of the services, but not in the Composite. Daelin Hayes (2016), Quenton Nelson (2014), Greg Bryant (2013), and Tuitt (2011) were all Rivals five-stars. I'm pretty sure Nyles Morgan (2014) was a Scout five-star, but you can't pull up their rankings anymore since they merged with 247.

I think it's pretty notable that five of the six five-stars we signed from 2010 to 2013 were defensive players, especially considering we had a guy who hated recruiting and didn't do any of it after camping out outside Ishaq's home. And what happened in 2014? Hmm... Yes, VanGorder was actually a less effective recruiter than a guy who literally did no recruiting. That's hard, man.

Hopefully Lea can work some magic with Brandon Smith and usher in a similar era of elite defensive success.

--

I don’t get the “DC hates recruiting” archetype

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 14:38 (2185 days ago) @ Brendan

College defense seems so easy to coach when you even have one big time disruptor. The scheme and system heavy guys make so little sense to me. Do these guys love skiing in the off season or something?

I've wondered about that too

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 06:54 (2184 days ago) @ HumanRobot

I don't think it's really commonplace, just something that sticks out from our own experience. Tenuta, Diaco, and VanGorder were all horrible recruiters who hated that part of their job and just didn't do it. At the same time, Brent Venables, Don Brown, Mike Elko, etc. are all excellent recruiters.

Broadly speaking, I don't get any coordinator, offensive or defensive, who wants no part of recruiting. Yes, it's a grind, and yes, it's annoying playing toady to high school kids. But it's also the way you get better chess pieces to work with, so if you hate it, man, find another job.

I'd also add that Kelly has been, shall we say, lax in demanding accountability from his staff as recruiters at times. And when I say "at times" I mean from 2010 through 2016 at least. I'm not sure if he turned over a new leaf himself after 2016, or if he hired guys that he thought would grind without the need for oversight, but it's definitely a factor. He shouldn't have accepted Diaco and VanGorder's lack of involvement. I'm not big into comparing ND to Ohio State and Alabama, but if Meyer or Saban had a DC who refused to recruit he'd be looking for another job before the sun set. Kelly should demand the same level of accountability from everyone on staff.

Like I said, I'm not sure he changed that part of himself after 2016. I sort of suspect that he didn't, but on the upside I do think he made a very conscious effort to hire plus recruiters - Long, Alexander, Elko, Lea, and Joseph all had excellent reputations when they were hired. I'm nervous about success resting on those guys being self-actuated, but on the other hand they've all shown for years that they are self-actuated.

--

I think it's hurt us enormously

by Jack @, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 08:06 (2184 days ago) @ Brendan
edited by Jack, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 08:13

It's one of the reasons I was so disappointed when Elko left. But it sounds like Lea is pretty good at it too.

There are few DC's that are so good that it's worth letting them be lousy recruiters. And those three obviously aren't even anywhere near that. I think it's a mistake to put up with it, and I don't think BK should have put up with it, and that's on him (or Charlie in the case of Tenuta). It should be a primary job requirement. If you don't like recruiting, there's the National Football League.

Contrast those guys with, say, a Greg Mattison, who is a decent DC but an outstanding recruiter. I know which one I'd rather have if that were the choice.

Ah yes

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 08:09 (2184 days ago) @ Jack

The age-old "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit" problem. Tenuta and VanGorder may have been the best salad chefs in the world (they weren't), but they were never going to produce anything edible with the quality of their ingredients.

--

And it’s not just that they didn’t get 5* guys

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 08:48 (2184 days ago) @ Brendan

They left gaping, multiyear holes at key spots on the depth chart. Doesn’t your defense need reasonable starters at linebacker or safety? I can’t even come up with a charitable interpretation of whatever they were thinking.

Exactly. It's indefensible. Diaco's "profiles" were just a

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 09:15 (2184 days ago) @ HumanRobot

pretext not to go after lots of kids.

And the lack of regular expansion and maintenance of (in particular) the defensive recruiting board from 2010 through 2016 was inexcusable.

You could say the same thing about the OL recruiting board, but we managed to actually land a really high percentage of our early offers.

Tommy Kraemer was a 5 star

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:05 (2185 days ago) @ HumanRobot

He's also (relatively) local.

Quenton Nelson, too

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:53 (2185 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

NJ is kinda no mans land for Big State U.

Penn State has some pull there

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 12:05 (2185 days ago) @ HumanRobot

but it tends to be more up towards the northern part of the state. Q was from Red Bank, on the Jersey Shore; recent commit John Olmstead and Theo Riddick are both from the Rutgers area, which isn't quite the Shore but is pretty close to it, both less than an hour away from Red Bank. Anyway, yeah, even allowing for the mild Penn State effect there's much less of a natural pull to anywhere. It helps that Rutgers sucks hairy donkey balls, of course.

--

It's in our historical footprint. Lots more non-football

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:57 (2185 days ago) @ HumanRobot

kids going to ND from Jersey than Georgia or Florida.

Thanks for this

by Mike (bart), Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:51 (2185 days ago) @ Brendan

Didn't mean to impress that I was pushing for that much work, but you did a nice job of laying out comprehensive factors. Totally buy it

Thanks Brendan

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:40 (2185 days ago) @ Brendan

- No text -

Nothing from the Holtz era is meaningful anymore IMO.

by PAK, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 09:42 (2185 days ago) @ Buffalo

The landscape of college football is so incredible different now in 2018 than it was in 1988 that it's not worth the navel-gazing worrying about it.

For example, recruiting services basically did not exist in 1988, the height of the Holtz era.

First and foremost ....

by Mark, O Town, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:18 (2185 days ago) @ PAK
edited by Mark, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:21

During the start of the Holtz tenure, ND had 95 scholarships ... But with Title IX, the NCAA rolled in rules that limited schools to 85 scholarships for football.

So I believe during Faust the rule let ND hand out 105 scholarship for football and by the time Holtz finished, ND (and the rest of the college football landscape) had permanently changed to the current 85 scholarship limit.

That, imo, is the biggest difference b/t Holtz years and today. Boise St didn't get squat for talent when ND, Bama, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio St, Michigan etc were handing out 105 or 95 scholarships in a season.

--
"2020 ... Let's win it all ..."

and, of course, Vinny.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:22 (2185 days ago) @ Mark

- No text -

I'd add that the ranking methodology back then

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:28 (2185 days ago) @ PAK

was, charitably speaking, softer. Lemming tells a story of ranking an unnamed Notre Dame kid who today would be a mid-level three-star in his top ten because an unnamed desperate assistant coach called him and begged him to help them out. Obviously Holtz's draft results speak for themselves - which, incidentally, Kelly is much closer to than he is to the flotsam and jetsam who coached ND in the interim - but still, I would take those late-80's/early-90's recruiting rankings with a substantial amount of salt.

--

Damn it PAK, Jay and I are meaningful.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:07 (2185 days ago) @ PAK

- No text -

Because we are a program

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 08:59 (2185 days ago) @ Buffalo
edited by KGB, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 09:08

(1) that forces its football players to also be actual students and (2) that doesn't reside in an particularly appealing location for 17-year-old kids with an endless number of options. And as noted, it doesn't win quite as big or often enough to make up for (1) and (2). If we strung together a couple of playoff appearances -- say, 2 in 3 years -- I suspect that we would get more traction with the top kids without making a major change to the staff. But we haven't broken through that ceiling, and so we're sort of stuck in no man's land. Good enough to be in the conversation and to land and develop a handful of truly excellent football players, but not good enough to get over the hump and attract recruits that would turn rebuilding into reloading.

It's worth remembering that "Clemsoning" was still a thing when we lost to them down there three years ago in a game we could have rightfully won. How much different might things be today for the two programs if ND had somehow pulled out a win?

And it's against school rules to have sex.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:08 (2185 days ago) @ KGB

I mean to imply a whole lot more than just that, BTW.

This is a really important point we probably gloss over.

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:10 (2185 days ago) @ Grantland

- No text -

I mean how many plug and play prospects has ND ever had.....

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 07:59 (2185 days ago) @ Buffalo

on the oline? Sam Young? Mike Rosenthal?

Every single one of our 1st round NFL draft picks under Hiestand weren't plug and play guys.

Zack Martin, Quenton Nelson, Mike McGlinchey? All redshirted. Ronnie Stanley would have too were it not for a play against Michigan where he had to spell for either an injury or equipment change.

The transition between high school and college is the most dramatic along the oline. The speed and strength. Olinemen almost have to spend that entire first year working on technique because they we so easily able to dominate in HS based purely on strength and ability.

Now if you want to criticize about other positions and Kelly's success luring immediate impact players, I'd agree. But I don't think Kristofic's commitment is where this criticism fits.

About one every seven or eight years on the OL

by Jack @, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:19 (2185 days ago) @ Domer99
edited by Jack, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:24

If you're lucky. And often because there's a hole.

Jeff Faine was another, but you're right, there sure aren't many, and there aren't many on other teams either, including Alabama and Ohio State, to BillyGoat's point.

Remember when the Next Big Thing on the OL was Seantrel Henderson? Yeah, he's in the NFL right now. But he's a backup, and in college, he played into being a seventh round pick.

O-line is a bad example for this.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 09:06 (2185 days ago) @ Domer99

The dude in question plays high school basketball (at a minimum), so of course he's not going to be 300+ lbs right now. And even if he were, then it almost certainly wouldn't be good weight and you'd spend at least the first year of college trimming him down.

I'm always happy to take kids who play other sports in high school. On the whole, I suspect they have more upside than their peers once you get them into the program and fully committed to one sport for their college career.

If your program is healty, there is virtually no such thing

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 09:13 (2185 days ago) @ KGB

as a plug and play OL. They should essentially ALWAYS redshirt, unless they are the next Orlando Pace. And that isn't a reflection on the prospects at all. Heck, even Q redshirted.

I don't think we go after that many

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 07:36 (2185 days ago) @ Buffalo

I've picked up from various pressers and such that there was a shift in recruiting emphasis two seasons ago, after a number of our recruits washed out for various reasons. There's much more of an emphasis on institutional fit than there was. As a result, we probably filter out a good number of the highest profile recruits automatically.

I don't get it

by Mike (bart), Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 09:47 (2185 days ago) @ Jay

what does institutional fit have to do with recruiting ranking?

it's more a function of 5 stars being a very small group

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:15 (2185 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

I think if you picked any 30 guys out of the pool each year, regardless of ranking, probably only a quarter to a third of them would be "institutional fits" for ND.

"institutional fits" is doing a lot of work there

by Mike (bart), Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:32 (2185 days ago) @ Jay

to be clear: i don't care about our recruiting or who we are or are not getting; I think the talent has been more than fine under Kelly. The point that "top guys are bad institutional fits" seems like a talking point without an actual logic behind it. Are they worse people? If that were the case why would it apply to Top 50 guys but not Top 200 guys? Are they taking money under the table? Again, why would that stop at the Top 50?

I'm not dismissing the argument, I am trying to find out what the argument is

The argument is

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:39 (2185 days ago) @ Mike (bart)
edited by KGB, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:49

that it takes a very specific blend of personality, character and aspiration as a 17-year-old kid to want to take yourself hundreds of miles away from where you grew up to split time between playing ball and being a legitimate student at a top academic school on a small, religiously-affiliated, heavily-white campus in northern Indiana when you have myriad other, potentially more-successful coaches in your own backyard promising you a much more leisurely, enjoyable college experience with a three-year track to NFL fame and fortune.

I don't think that succumbing to the latter pitch would make someone a lousy or unfit person. Most people would say that you'd be dumb to turn that down. I'm not sure the phrase "road less traveled" is even a fit for what ND is attempting to sell, because it's slightly more ludicrous than that.

I want to congratulate you

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:45 (2185 days ago) @ KGB

On that grammatically perfect use of myriad

And the 40-year decision pays off once more.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:48 (2185 days ago) @ Greg

Not to attend ND, of course, but to read ND football boards. For 40 years.

who said "worse people?" I certainly didn't

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:37 (2185 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

This is pretty self-explanatory: some kids don't have the academic record, don't have the academic drive, aren't comfortable out of their geographical element, aren't comfortable at a non-diverse, conservative, religious environment, etc, etc. All the things that make ND unique, in other words, aren't draws for a lot of fine people.

So is the thought that

by Mike (bart), Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:49 (2185 days ago) @ Jay

Those factors fall about equally throughout the recruit population and 50% of a small number happens to be a small number? That makes total sense to me. I just literally don't understand if the argument generally has been posted as "there's something endemic to elite guys that makes them bad fits for ND"

I certainly didn't mean it that way

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:34 (2185 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

I think your initial statement is the most accurate. In any pool of "college football prospects," the majority of those will not be institutional fits for ND for any number of reasons. When the pool is "5-star uber elite kids," it is not necessarily more acute, but it certainly can be, depending upon the motivations of said kids (ie, not caring about class because they are focused strictly on an NFL future, not interested in attending a cold-weather school, not interested in attending a school that's far from home).

Whenever I think about ND recruiting, I try to always divorce myself from the fact that I went to ND and ask myself, "If I were an elite HS football player, why would I want to go to ND if I could go literally anywhere else?" Then I think about the fact that my life experience growing up is probably about as diametrically opposed to most of these kids. It would take a pretty special kid, or a kid that really wants to buck the "easy" trend, to make that decision.

I agree with Jeremy too

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:53 (2185 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

It makes sense to me that a lot of "football first, football only" guys wouldn't look twice at ND. Those aren't just the 5 star guys of course, but I imagine a good percentage of five stars are football-only.

Their risk-reward calculation is much different

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 12:18 (2185 days ago) @ Jay

Let's say, hypothetically, all the top 200 kids in a given year believe they could have a shot at an NFL career, and all the rest think they'll have to make other plans. Arbitrary cutoff and badly oversimplified, but for the sake of argument.

Looking into those top 200, maybe numbers 150-200 think they have a 50% chance. 100-150 think they have a 70% chance. The five stars think they have a 99.9% chance. Hardly surprising that "4 for 40" is near meaningless for a lot of those kids, and if it's near meaningless we can't really win on any other dimension. Spirituality, maybe, if they're a Catholic kid and that's important to them. Otherwise, any other major program has us as of today - we don't win with the consistency of Ohio State/Alabama/Clemson, aside from OL we don't churn out high draft picks consistently, etc.

Now, some five-star kids will want to make a 40-year decision, even if they think they have a 99.9% chance of getting to the League. Those are the kids we have to identify and chase hard, like we did with NPF.

--

Because with limited exceptions

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 09:52 (2185 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

The 5-star kids are looking for a career in the NFL, and don't give a crap about the "4 for 40" pamphlets.

We have had success with 5-stars in the past decade

by Rob (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:53 (2185 days ago) @ Jeremy (WeIsND)

Going back to Weis: Floyd, Clausen, Te'o (to name a few)

Going back to early Kelly days: Jaylon, Lynch, Redfield (to name a few)

He's had one in the last 3 full recruiting classes (Kraemer).

I (Jay picked up on this as well) think Kelly is shying away from them through some of the comments he has made. I personally don't think it's a great idea - when a 5-star works, they really work (Floyd, Clausen, Te'o, Jaylen).

Again, if he hints that he's shying away

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:27 (2185 days ago) @ Rob (Rakes of Mallow)

I think what he's really saying is that "we aren't recruiting kids who 1) won't take academics seriously, or 2) have an inflated ego or sense of entitlement." Again, we were very heavily involved with two extremely high-profile 5-stars right until the end last year. I think Kelly is wise to be uber-selective on that front, and I think (at least last year anyway) he did a very good job of identifying which 5-star kids to pursue heavily.

And if our offensive line coach didn't leave

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:28 (2185 days ago) @ Jeremy (WeIsND)

or if Greg Schiano had taken that job at Tennessee, we probably would've landed NPF.

I don't see why they're mutually exclusive

by Mike (bart), Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:00 (2185 days ago) @ Jeremy (WeIsND)

We've put a ton of guys into the draft under Kelly, lots of first rounders too. Doesn't Meyer push that '4 for 40' line, too? Was it last year or 2 years ago that Stanford signed like 4 Top 30 guys? I just don't see the actual causative connection.

Palo Alto, California, is famously not South Bend, Indiana

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:07 (2185 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

And the point has been made several times that Stanford football players have a much easier path to eligibility than Notre Dame's.

One argument at a time please EDIT: to add

by Mike (bart), Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:16 (2185 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

What you said has nothing to do with the original argument about Top 50 guys being NFL minded, and that factor somehow making them bad fits for ND. The proposition strikes me as shaky from multiple angles.

Edit: to be clear, you are offering arguments to explain "why we don't get Top 50 guys," which is different from what I'm asking about, which is the premise that "We don't go after Top 50 guys"

They don't want to live where it's cold

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:18 (2185 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

they'd rather hang out where it's sunny. Or where they can party, or they don't want to go to school, etc etc etc.

Because they want to hang out for three or four years until they're ready for the NFL.

To address your edit: We don't go after them because they don't want to go here, for any number of reasons. Take Zach Harrison, top 10 defensive end out of Ohio. We tried to recruit him! He said no. Because he'd rather just hang out at Ohio State, which is fine for him, I guess.

People can hack on Kelly for any number of things

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:10 (2185 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

but after nearly a decade on the job at ND, the one thing I would tend to take his word for is when you're doing nothing more than wasting your fucking time with a prospect on the recruiting trail. You have a finite amount of man hours and basic mental sanity to expend in that aspect of the job. Pursuing a lost cause is pointless and without merit.

And what's been our payoff when the staff has killed

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:56 (2185 days ago) @ KGB

themselves trying to hard-sell a kid and his family on ND?

We end up with a lot of unhappy folks who don't deliver on the field and probably transfer. Aaron Lynch is Exhibit A. That was an absolute recruiting war against Greg Hudson and FSU. The reports were completely awesome. We did everything but stuff the kid in the trunk of Tony Alford's rental car in San Antonio and drive him to South Bend for his official. It was an amazing victory. But for what?

Our most successful 5*s are the guys who are just awesome personality fits with ND. Manti. Jaylon. Rudolph. Nelson. The top-tier guys we've gotten with football-first mindsets just haven't worked out.

I'm not saying that our staff shouldn't work hard (perhaps harder than some do, depending on reports) on the recruiting trail. But since we have to recruit nationally and in a unique profile, we have to "work smart" too.

Yep.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 12:06 (2185 days ago) @ BillyGoat

And like I said, if there's one good reason to continue to retain BK, it's the experience he brings to the table in learning over time (to some degree through trial & error) which types of prospects will prosper in the ND environment and which ones are likely to wash out. I'm not sure I trust him to hire the right coordinator, but I wouldn't waste more than five minutes on a recruit who he didn't think could hack it here.

Exactly re Harrison

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:32 (2185 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

What is Kelly supposed to do when Micah Parsons or Patrick Surtain show absolutely no interest in Notre Dame? Spending resources on kinds like that is a waste of time.

FWIW, Parsons was a horrific fit for ND anyway

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:33 (2185 days ago) @ Jeremy (WeIsND)

I mean, Urban Meyer stopped recruiting a five-star WDE because he thought he was too much of a head case. That pretty much says it all.

--

Heh, and right on cue...

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Thursday, April 26, 2018, 10:02 (2183 days ago) @ Brendan

Yep. The player who skipped is Parsons.

--

Stanford is a shitty comp for ND.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 10:15 (2185 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

Northwestern is a more appropriate one, and even there you have Chicago right in your backyard.

I agree with you

by Rob (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 08:28 (2185 days ago) @ Jay

I think Kelly feels like he got burned by a few of them (I think he even feels burned by Tuitt who left early...which is insane) and has focused his time elsewhere.

I do think he should revisit that plan. There are a handful of 5-star difference makers that we could probably focus on and sign if we put in a bit more effort. We've come very close in the past, so it's not a lack of interest on their part.

Its not like he actively avoids them

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 09:26 (2185 days ago) @ Rob (Rakes of Mallow)

As noted below, we were heavily involved with Amon-Ra and Petit-Frere, and by most accounts, finished a fairly close 2nd in both cases. I think they get a pretty quick idea (from the kid, the kid's coach, and/or the kid's family) whether there's any interest in ND from the outset. As we've seen over the last few years, if kids aren't willing to visit South Bend on their own dime at some point, preferably before their senior year, we probably aren't going to be even a hat on the table. I can't think of too many guys (particularly elite guys) we've gotten who only visited on an official for a game weekend.

Pete Sampson had a good article about another aspect

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 08:04 (2185 days ago) @ Jay

Basically that five star kids tend to go to school close to home, and unfortunately, none are that close to South Bend. https://247sports.com/Article/Where-have-the-five-stars-gone-115571280

one thing that article mentioned

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 08:48 (2185 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

reminded me why I think the gilded "fifth star" is a little fuzzy, and not that meaningful in the grand scheme. For a recruiting program, putting a hyper focus on "five stars" would be misguided. There are only a handful to go around.

There are only 30 or so players every year who get a 5-star label. Last year there were a grand total of 33.

Meanwhile, there are 400+ four-star players, any number of which could be swapped into the top 30.

It's pretty random and subjective as to who gets that fifth star. And it's really for the fans more than anything else.

I don't agree with that...

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 09:06 (2185 days ago) @ Jay

I agree with the notion that from 51-200, guys are probably pretty fungible.

But looking at last year's list, the 5* guys are generally ones who distinguished themselves as being truly special in camps and on the field. Salyer and NPF at OL. Amon-Ra at WR. Lawrence, Fields, and Daniels at QB. I'm not as familiar with the rest. No guarantee they will pan out, but those guys were clearly the cream of the crop.

Looking at the 2017 class, there doesn't seem to have been as much separation with the 5* guys, so maybe it isn't true every year. I do think it was true with at least most of the 5* guys last year.

Our hit rate on top 50 kids doesn't seem very good...

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 08:30 (2185 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

Here are guys with a Rivals grade of 6.0 (high 4* or greater) in recent memory.

2018: Houston Griffith DB

2017: Brock Wright TE

2016: Daelin Hayes LB; Tommy Kraemer OL; Javon McKinley WR

2015: Brandon Wimbush QB

2014: Quenton Nelson OL

2013: Jaylon Smith LB; Greg Bryant RB; Max Redfield DB; Eddie Vanderdoes DL;
Steve Elmer OL; John Montelus OL

2012: Gunner Kiel QB

2011: Ishaq Williams LB; Stephon Tuitt DL; Aaron Lynch DL

2010: None

2009: Manti Te'o LB; Cierre Wood RB; Chris Watt OL; Zeke Motta S

2008: Kyle Rudolph TE; Dayne Crist QB; Michael Floyd WR; Ethan Johnson DL; Jonas Gray RB; Trevor Robinson OL

2007: Jimmy Clausen QB; Duval Kamara WR; Armando Allen RB; Matt Romine OL

2006: Sam Young OL; James Aldridge RB

Figure, you want these highly rated guys to at least be able to be multi-year quality starters for you, I would break the list down as (*indicates guys who became true superstars):

HITS
Nelson*
Wimbush
Jaylon
Elmer
Tuitt
Te'o*
Watt
Motta
Rudolph*
Floyd*
Johnson
Robinson
Clausen*
Allen
Young

MISSES
Bryant
Redfield
Vanderdoes
Montelus
Kiel
Williams
Lynch
Crist
Gray
Kamara
Romine
Aldridge

(Houston, Wright, and McKinley are all too soon)

I have no idea how that compares to the hit rate of other schools. But man, it sure seems like a bunch of the top rated guys we've landed have ended up being OK at best.

That’s a decent hit rate

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:59 (2185 days ago) @ BillyGoat

5* guys tend to be three outcome — AA, injury write off, or transfer — across the board.

We feel the negative outcomes more because of small population relative to the Alabama’s or OSUs.

To that point (and to the QB discussion from BG Game)

by Captain Robb, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 13:38 (2184 days ago) @ HumanRobot

(and potentially the discussion about the Herm Edwards management style at ASU)

Blake Barnett is about to transfer to his third university, where he will be a grad transfer with 2 years eligibility left.

At Arizona State this past year, he had five pass attempts, completing three.

The article I read also notes that he just became a father.

as an example

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 07:58 (2185 days ago) @ Jay

How many 5 stars did we seriously pursue last year? There's St. Brown, Petit-Frere, and...? Cade Mays?

Rivals search shows 19 offers out to five star players in last year's class, but I don't recall many of them being seriously pursued.

See if this link works: https://n.rivals.com/search#?formValues=%257B%2522sport%2522:%2522Football%2522,%2522re...

Hard to know if offers are legit these days...

by BPH, San Diego, Monday, April 23, 2018, 18:14 (2186 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

but if they are, these kid is way underrated. If OSU, Clemson and Georgia all want an offensive lineman from Pennsylvania, he ain't no 3-star kid.

Those offers are all legit and they all want him

by scriptcomesfirst @, Monday, April 23, 2018, 18:22 (2186 days ago) @ BPH

They came in a flurry after the season for the most part. Despite the fact he is the only 3 star among the OL commits and likely commits, word is he was THE most coveted OL by the staff. The kid can move for a guy his size and plays with a high level of intensity.

Supposedly, Urban himself was going after this kid really

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 07:07 (2185 days ago) @ scriptcomesfirst

hard.

By all accounts, kind of like McGlinchey (who wasn't as highly rated as classmates like Elmer or Montelus), he's regarded as a future NFL starting tackle waiting for a college weight program.

Also similar to his buddy Phil

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Monday, April 23, 2018, 19:16 (2186 days ago) @ scriptcomesfirst

In that he plays basketball so he doesn’t really do the camp circuit, where a lot of these guys get four star status.

Good point

by scriptcomesfirst @, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 06:00 (2185 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

- No text -