the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

Gruden is really, actually returning to coaching

by BPH, San Diego, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 16:27

I know it's not college, but I feel like this has gotten a shockingly small amount of attention on this board.

Surprised in general? Surprised it's the Raiders? Surprised he's getting $10M per year?

One thing I'll be interested to watch about JG

by Buffalo @, The Dirty South, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 06:33 @ BPH

I think there have been some changes to the pro football calendar and restrictions on off-season work that may really affect Gruden's approach.

Gruden's offensive system requires a very experienced or preternaturally talented quarterback to work. Sure, he rode that great Tampa Bay defense to a championship, but his best years with his offensive system were with Rich Gannon in Oakland.

Even since he last coached, NFL teams have to rely on younger players or players with less time with their teams. They don't get to practice as much in the off-season, and don't get to hit as much even in summer camp.

Moreover, Gruden is a control freak. He's not turning over the offense to someone like Vermeil did with Mike Martz when he returned after a lengthy broadcasting hiatus.

I used to be 100% on the Gruden bandwagon for ND. Now, I think he's just been away from the game too long.

This is going to be a catastrophic failure.

by KGB, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 12:12 @ Buffalo

Which is not to say that the Raiders will be Browns Bad but the ROI here will turn out to be a real dog's breakfast. The league changes rapidly and the amount of time that Gruden's been away amounts to several generations in terms of tactics and innovation. I think he's been gone far too long without the support of extremely good assistants, and his exploits as a coach were somewhat inflated even a decade ago when he was still active.

As a writer in the Chicago Tribune asked today

by Jack @, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 18:36 @ BPH

Who is going to regret it first, the Raiders or Gruden?

The coaching market is completely out of whack

by Jeff (BGS), A starter home in suburban Tempe, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 16:46 @ BPH

Teams are desperate for perceived quality coaching, and willing to risk anything as they throw darts trying to find it. It’s probably worse in the NFL than it is in college.

I like Gruden and think he is (or at least was) a good coach. I hope this works out for both parties, but this hire has me scratching my head a bit. Are there a lot of Hooters in Vegas?

---
At night, the ice weasels come.

A&M is supposedly throwing $2 million/year at Aranda

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 16:47 @ Jeff (BGS)
edited by Jay, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 17:16

[ No text ]

LSU apparently outbid A&M and is keeping Aranda

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 20:21 @ Jay

[ No text ]

Reports are $10M for 4 years - insane for a DC

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 20:41 @ Jim (fisherj08)

[ No text ]

All joking aside, if/when the TV money collapses...

by PAK, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 08:37 @ Spesh

the SEC and B1G teams that are leveraging the hell out of their currently-lucrative TV deals are going to be in for a world of hurt.

At some point, the hemorrhaging subscriber base for ABC/ESPN and FOX/FS1 is going to affect the money they're laying out for sports broadcast rights and there will be a reckoning. ND seems a lot less reliant on our NBC deal compared to schools like, say, Maryland and Arkansas.

Unfortunately, there's simply no money to pay the players.

by PAK, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 06:27 @ Spesh

[ No text ]

But UCF has $325K to pay assts. for a mythical NC.

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 06:58 @ PAK

[ No text ]

---
"F--- everyone who isn't us."
#Team128

At that price why doesn’t he just become a head coach?

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 20:46 @ Spesh

[ No text ]

Why should he?

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 08:47 @ Jim (fisherj08)

Apparently he can make head coach money with, at most, 1/3 the responsibility. Not a bad gig.

---
Listen to the voice of Life, and you will hear Life crying, "Be!"

Fully guaranteed too. We’ve officially gone to plaid.

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 20:45 @ Spesh

[ No text ]

---
Listen to the voice of Life, and you will hear Life crying, "Be!"

Really bad development for the sport

by BPH, San Diego, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 20:45 @ Spesh

[ No text ]

The $1 million threshold was crossed only about 5 years ago

by BPH, San Diego, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 17:15 @ Jay

It was Chad Morris and John Chavis, if I remember correctly.

are they giving him a piece of the team?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 16:44 @ BPH

[ No text ]

Not according to most recent reports

by BPH, San Diego, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 17:13 @ Jay

[ No text ]

377757 Postings in 32921 Threads, 204 registered users, 95 users online (4 registered, 91 guests)
Contact