the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

UCF is going all-in on claiming the title this year

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 13:53

They're hanging a banner and holding a parade. Here's what AD Danny White said to ESPN:

"If you take the long view of the history of college football, there's an awful lot of national championships being claimed by universities that didn't accomplish what we accomplished this year in those respective seasons, so we feel we're more than justified to claim our first national championship, and we think it'll be the first of many," [UCF AD Danny] White told ESPN.

"I don't think our kids should be penalized because we weren't respected by the College Football Playoff committee, nor should our program be penalized because we weren't around 20 or 30 years ago when people were claiming national championships left and right. We're trying to build our program and we feel very strongly as the only undefeated team and having beat Auburn, who beat both teams competing for the national championship, that we have an extremely sound case to claim the crown."

They're also paying out national championship bonuses to all the assistant coaches, which makes this substantially more than a marketing ploy. Good for them. Paul Finebaum unironically expressed his displeasure with UCF's push to be recognized as national champions, which makes me enjoy their campaign even more.

---
Listen to the voice of Life, and you will hear Life crying, "Be!"

Update: Nebraska claims sixth national title

by Coach Gillespie, Omaha, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 14:27 @ Brendan

It's Scott Frost's first as the Husker head coach, according to the Omaha World-Herald.

No joke - Okie State claimed the 1945 title this year

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 14:33 @ Coach Gillespie

Army got all 116 first-place votes in the AP poll, which was the only major selector at the time, but hey man, whatevs. Go ahead and claim it.

---

Serious question: isn’t that for basketball?

by Jack @, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 18:23 @ Brendan

[ No text ]

Nope, they petitioned the AFCA this year to be recognized

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 19:11 @ Jack

I have no idea why the AFCA granted the petition, but they did, and OSU claimed it. Shameless.

---

If Finebaum is against it....

by Greg, sittin on the dock of the bay, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 14:01 @ Brendan

[ No text ]

It's the Alabama method

by Jack @, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 13:57 @ Brendan

Don't just claim them when you deserve to, claim them simply when you want to.

Monday they'll be playing for their 88th national championship.

The 1973 Coaches Poll national champions.

by Kevin @, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 14:11 @ Jack
edited by Kevin, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 14:18

As Ara said when asked if ND would be champs, "what was the final score?"

You'd think now that they play for the title every year, they'd drop these ridiculous claims. Does Leonardo DiCaprio still lie about french-kissing Missy Patterson in ninth grade? I doubt it.

Well especially these days Leo would keep mum

by Jack @, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 14:13 @ Kevin

I also wonder what they think that Sugar Bowl was, an exhibition? They can't even claim it was in the next year, because it wasn't, it was played December 31, 1973.

382657 Postings in 33230 Threads, 204 registered users, 135 users online (6 registered, 129 guests)
Contact