the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

Nelson and McGlinchey get 1st Team AA from SI

by Mike (bart), Thursday, December 07, 2017, 07:33

Love gets 2nd team

Assuming that Nelson and McGlinchey go on to be consensus AAs, here's how the list will look under Kelly:

Consensus AAs

Manti Te'o
Ronnie Stanley
Jaylon Smith
Mike McGlinchey
Quenton Nelson

Guys that made at least one First Team AA team

This is surprisingly hard to track down via google, but off the top of my head:

Zack Martin
Will Fuller
Stephon Tuitt
Louis Nix
Tyler Eifert
Sheldon Day

Add those all together and you've got 4 OL, 3 DL, 2 LB, 1 TE and 1 WR.

Hiestand really seems to be doing a good job, and I think this year showed that any shortcomings from the OL probably had more to do with overall scheme issues (and running back performance) than the quality of the OL. The dude is basically churning an All-American linemen every 18 months, that's got to be as good as anyone in the country, right?

SI also names Julian Love 2nd team AA

by Buffalo @, The Dirty South, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 09:04 @ Mike (bart)

[ No text ]

A bit surprised that Will Fuller wasn't consensus

by Coach Gillespie, Omaha, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 07:54 @ Mike (bart)

Who the heck was considered better than him?

He wasn't even a Biletnikoff finalist

by HullieAndMikes, Joe Turner's bookcase, ALHS, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 08:02 @ Coach Gillespie

Winner: Corey Coleman, Baylor University
Finalists: Josh Doctson, Texas Christian University
Laquon Treadwell, University of Mississippi

Doctson and Coleman were consensus AAs. Looks kind of funny with Fuller scoring TDs every time he touches the ball and Doctson flouncing around in DC.

Doctson will be fine going forward.

by PAK, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 08:49 @ HullieAndMikes

His production has been trending upwards very well this year once Washington cut bait on their Pryor experiment. He probably should have been starting all year long. There are a lot of mouths to feed in that offense, though, and Cousins/the offense seems to favor routes over the middle of the field to TEs, slot receivers, and running backs.

I think Coleman, Doctson, and Fuller will all have average-to-good WR careers. It's noticeable how much better the Browns offense is with Coleman in the lineup vs. the games he missed with injury. If Kizer could manage to do, like, ANYTHING positive in the red zone, they would have a couple wins this year.

Treadwell is the head-scratcher of that group. He's been an obvious disaster from pretty much his first Vikings practice.

I disagree but mostly just because my NFL team is poison

by HullieAndMikes, Joe Turner's bookcase, ALHS, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 09:06 @ PAK

[ No text ]

Coleman cold dropped a perfect Kizer throw

by KGB, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 09:05 @ PAK
edited by KGB, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 09:12

in the end zone two weeks ago. These guys aren't doing a lot to help each other, and Coleman also needs to somehow stop turning breaking his hand into an annual event.

It's a small sample, but it will be interesting to see if Kizer's performance perks up over the final few weeks of the season. With Gordon returning in addition to Coleman and David Njoku, he actually has some pretty talented guys to throw the ball to. When your most appealing target is Ricardo Louis (or, if you prefer, a completely disengaged Kenny Britt) on top of playing behind an OL that doesn't give you much support -- as was the situation in Cleveland for the meat of this season -- there's almost nothing to be learned about a quarterback's future prospects. Unless Kizer really heats up over the next month, I'm afraid that the Browns will just draft over him again next spring, which would be a shame.

I'd love to see Kizers RZ/non-RZ spilts.

by PAK, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 11:19 @ KGB

They have to be massive. His brain just turns to goo inside the 25 yard line, it's amazing. I cringe every time red zone cuts to the Browns because I know what's coming.

My guess is that you guys are correct in that he'll be drafted over in 2018, which is dumb, but if DeShone were even mediocre in his red zone trips instead of a turnover machine, he would have at least made the decision difficult.

Yes.

by KGB, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 11:27 @ PAK

He's turned the ball over 20 (!) times this season. That's...really bad.

The scene last week in LA was indicative of his RZ struggles. Cleveland was down, I think, 9 points with about 4 minutes left in the game and had the ball deep in Charger territory on third down. Certainly, it would be great to get a touchdown at that moment, but you have to recognize that the team would still need a second score to win the game, regardless. But you have to score points on this drive. So what does Kizer do? Obviously, he drops back to throw and holds the ball much too long, which allows Joey Bosa to slip in from behind and force a fumble, which LA recovers. Idiotic. Throw the damn ball away and take your field goal. He's a smart dude who should be more aware of the situational-type stuff than that.

They just fired their GM

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 09:23 @ KGB

which leads me to believe they'll try to draft yet another QB of the future next year.

Sorry DeShone.

They'll do whatever Dipshit Jimmy wants to do.

by KGB, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 09:27 @ Jim (fisherj08)
edited by KGB, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 10:14

And he always does the wrong thing, so that's probably what will happen. Not that I'm assuming Kizer will become an all-pro, but he's got most if not all of the tools and one season on a team this shitty is not enough information to cut bait and burn another top draft pick, regardless of how many they may have to work with. They're almost definitely going to suck in 2018 regardless of who is under center.

Jared Goff agrees.

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 11:23 @ KGB

But go ahead and spend another high pick on a QB instead of trading down just a little and taking Q. Nelson & getting more defensive help.

---
"F--- everyone who isn't us."
#Team128

Exactly.

by KGB, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 11:34 @ Chris

I've been down on Goff since when he was still at Cal, and he had one of the worst rookie seasons for a QB in NFL history, statistically speaking. But it would have been silly to give up on him after one year. Fortunately, the Rams hired what appears to be a damn good coach who has had a very positive impact on the team's fortunes, Goff in particular.

Also, how shitty must Jeff Fisher have been? Good god.

How is Jimmy not in jail yet?

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 09:28 @ KGB

[ No text ]

All hail Big XII papier-mâché defenses.

by KGB, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 08:21 @ HullieAndMikes

[ No text ]

How does one determine "consensus" status?

by Buffalo @, The Dirty South, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 07:50 @ Mike (bart)

I know the consensus AA status used to require being named first team AA by three of these five organizations:

Associated Press
Football Writers Ass'n of America
American Football Coaches Ass'n
Walter Camp Foundation
The Sporting News

Has this changed?

At Alabama, there are two ways...

by Greg, the 'Dena, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 09:42 @ Buffalo

...(1) the way described below, and (2) if three or more people call into the Paul Finebaum show the week after official All-American status is announced to say that a player was wrongfully left off the list.

---
#asshat

I just went of of sports-reference.com

by Mike (bart), Thursday, December 07, 2017, 08:08 @ Buffalo

and trusted their chart to be accurate. I don't think it's changed but am by no means an expert on such things

374448 Postings in 32693 Threads, 204 registered users, 128 users online (5 registered, 123 guests)
Contact