the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

Harbaugh may have solved his QB problem

by Buffalo @, The Dirty South, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 11:26

I see Michigan play much this year, but when I did (and based on reports I've read), it seemed like a major problem for UM was its QB situation.

Well, Michigan is reportedly the leader to land former 5-star recruit and Ole Miss starter Shea Patterson. Combined with a stout defense, that is going to make for a difficult opener next year.

In other news, Urbs just lost a 5 star DE

by scriptcomesfirst @, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 17:55 @ Buffalo

Brenton Cox decommitted. If he ends up at Bama that could help with Langham.

ehhh...seems like a very Charlie Weis move to me

by Mike (bart), Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 13:41 @ Buffalo

continually turning your QB room upside down seems like it might generate as many problems as it solves

Yeah, but Patterson is a really good and experienced QB

by Jack @, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 13:58 @ Mike (bart)

with two years of eligibility left.

It will be interesting to see if he does go there if Peters and/or McCaffrey stick around.

This ain't too shabby:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/shea-patterson-1.html

He'll play one more season in college no matter what

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 14:40 @ Jack
edited by Brendan, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 15:12

If he gets clearance to play immediately, he'll play 2018 and head to the draft. If not, he'll play 2019 and head to the draft. As you might imagine for a kid who was looking at LSU and ended up at Ole Miss, academics are an afterthought at best. One way or another, he's a one and done.

So Harbaugh brought in two transfer QBs in 2015 - Jake Rudock from Iowa as a grad transfer, and John O'Korn from Houston as a standard transfer - and is now seeking to bring in another for 2018 in Patterson. Shane Morris left as a grad transfer last year, and Wilton Speight and Alex Malzone are headed out as grad transfers this year. That is a metric shit ton of churn in the QB room, which can't make redshirt freshman Brandon Peters or true freshman Dylan McCaffrey too comfortable.

Speaking of the young 'uns, let's talk about QB development under Harbaugh:
I submit as evidence... Other than Luck, every QB he has had has either held steady, regressed, or gone on to play better elsewhere. To wit:
- 2012 Kaep: 13 games, 98.3 rating (NFL scale), 62.4% comp, 8.3 ypa, 10 TD, 3 INT
- 2013 Kaep: 16 games, 91.6 rating, 58.4% comp, 7.7 ypa, 21 TD, 8 INT
- 2014 Kaep: 16 games, 86.4 rating, 60.5% comp, 7.0 ypa, 19 TD, 10 INT

- 2014 Rudock (Iowa): 12 games, 133.5 rating, 61.7% comp, 7.1 ypa, 16 TD, 5 INT.
- 2015 Rudock: 12 games, 141.5 rating, 64% comp, 7.8 ypa, 20 TD, 9 INT (a little better but nothing that normal junior-senior progression couldn't account for, and in fact similar to Rudock's 2013-2014 improvement)

- 2015 Morris: Couldn't get on the field.
- 2016 Morris: Attempted 5 passes in six games.
- 2017 Morris (CMU): 12 games, 130.2 rating, 55.5% comp, 7.1 ypa, 26 TD, 13 INT (before you chuckle, note that this stat line is better than anyone who played for Michigan this season)

- 2016 Speight: 12 games, 139.8 rating, 61.6% comp, 7.7 ypa, 18 TD, 7 INT
- 2017 Speight: 3+ games, 121.9 rating, 54.3% comp, 7.2 ypa, 3 TD, 2 INT

- 2016 O'Korn: 8 games (34 attempts), 121.0 rating, 58.8% comp, 5.1 ypa, 2 TD, 0 INT
- 2017 O'Korn: 9 games, 101.2 rating, 53.2% comp, 6.1 ypa, 2 TD, 6 INT

Sample size warnings abound in there, of course. But it's interesting and worth tracking, at least.

It's entirely possible that Harbaugh's reputation as a QB genius comes from having (1) Andrew Luck and (2) a year of Kaepernick before the NFL figured out how to adjust to him.

It's possible I'm completely wrong, too, of course. But it's food for thought at least.

---
Listen to the voice of Life, and you will hear Life crying, "Be!"

Oh, that is 100% possible

by Jack @, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 15:02 @ Brendan

Harbaugh coaching Luck into being a great quarterback is a hilarious concept, considering Luck grew up in the same house as another quarterback who played in the NFL.

Chaz has a much better claim to being a quarterback whisperer.

Might I step in here?

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 14:11 @ Jack

So he threw 17 TDs against 9 INTs this season and 4 TDs came in the opener against South Alabama so that brings it to 13-9.
He then threw 5 TDs and 1 pick against Tenn-Martin so that brings it to 8-8.
He threw 2 TDs & 3 Picks against the vaunted Cal Bear defense bringing it to 6-5 in 4 other games.

I'm going to hold off on calling him really good.
And he's played in 10 games.
Wimbush had a 16-6 ratio against teams that all offer 85 scholarships and we all think he had a disappointing season.

Shea may go Forcier on us in the fall but I'm not going to piss myself just yet in fear of a Harbaugh/Patterson marriage.

---
"F--- everyone who isn't us."
#Team128

Why yes, yes you may

by Jack @, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 14:21 @ Chris
edited by Jack, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 14:24

Hey, I hope you're right.

This does give me a semi-related opportunity to point out one totally tangential thing on the Michigan quarterback situation. Some people are reading disarray into it based on Speight transferring. They shouldn't. Speight injured multiple vertabrae vs Purdue. He probably shouldn't be playing football anymore anywhere, let alone at Michigan.

And supposedly he might bring a couple teammates with him

by BPH, San Diego, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 13:05 @ Buffalo

Harbaugh has entered the “fuck it, I’ll do anything to actually beat my rivals” stage of his tenure.

How a guy from Toledo ended up at Ole Miss

by Jack @, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 12:18 @ Buffalo
edited by Jack, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 12:22

even though he was heavily recruited by Michigan at the time could be wrapped up in why they're going on probation in the first place. It made no sense how they were getting some of the players they got.

He was born in Toledo

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 13:32 @ Jack

But he's lived all over the place, including Texas, Louisiana, and Florida (while attending IMG Academy).

One of the reasons he ended up at Ole Miss was Freeze's willingness to give his brother a job in the athletic department. Presumably, Harbaugh would have to do the same thing for him.

Ah, the old get the brother a job game

by Jack @, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 13:36 @ Jeremy (WeIsND)

Yeah, that's above board.

He was committed to LSU first

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 14:09 @ Jack

and then Ole Miss offered to give his brother a better paying job, and he flipped. Supposedly the two of them are a package deal for his transfer destination as well.

---

Considering Harbaugh hired Chris Partridge to land

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 14:23 @ Brendan

Rashan Gary and Devin Bush senior to land Devin Bush Jr. and Wayne Lyons' Mom...

That is decidedly not good recruiting, btw.

by KGB, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 14:33 @ BillyGoat
edited by KGB, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 14:37

When the only way you can get a kid is to burn a position on staff. Truly embarrassing stuff.

Although it's true that QB was probably Michigan's biggest problem this season, it also wasn't their only problem. So I don't think they'll suddenly be awesome even if Patterson shows up and turns out to be as good at throwing footballs as he is at squeezing schools for bribes. Which he almost definitely isn't.

When Harbaugh returns from taking his team on the fucking Space Shuttle or whatever next summer, he may be surprised to learn that certain folks who still throw weight around in AA will be expecting him and his dime-store khakis to beat a team with a winning record in 2018 or else GTFO.

Wonder how Peters and McCaffrey will react

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 15:41 @ KGB

To bringing Patterson aboard. Have to imagine at least one of them will look elsewhere.

Harbaugh might get both of them to stay

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 15:47 @ Jeremy (WeIsND)

by promising that Patterson will be a one and done, but yeah, I would imagine it wouldn’t sit well with them regardless. Especially with Peters, who played reasonably well for a rookie in a tough spot before he got hurt.

---

If he thought that either one was the answer

by KGB, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 17:31 @ Brendan

He wouldn't be dorking around with Patterson. I agree with whoever compared this to Weis. Serious grab bag.

Seems like he's getting pretty desperate to win

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 16:10 @ Brendan

I'm sure most Michigan fans are talking themselves into this, along with all his other shenanigans. But the Harbaugh Experience has a very "Kentucky Basketball" vibe to me that I'd have a tough time swallowing.

Oh, it's ridiculous and it isn't sustainable. I thought it

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 14:45 @ KGB

was a solid move to get Gary, who is an absolute stud. But it can't become part of your recruiting methodology.

That's ridiculous

by Greg, the 'Dena, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 14:37 @ KGB

He buys pleated khakis at Walmart! He climbs trees! He thumbs his nose at the SEC! He wears baseball caps manufactured in 1987! Everything is grand in the state of Denmark.

---
#asshat

Maybe Duke and Coach K could make an offer

by Greg, the 'Dena, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 14:11 @ Brendan

Signed,
Mrs. Duhon

---
#asshat

Who was the recruit to Zook-era Illinois

by CK08, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 13:32 @ Jack

who, when asked why he chose Illinois, said "well, it wasn't about the money"?

Martez Wilson

by HullieAndMikes, Joe Turner's bookcase, ALHS, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 13:48 @ CK08

[ No text ]

Aurelious Benn?

by Jack @, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 13:36 @ CK08

[ No text ]

Benn was another package deal...

by mkmcfrlnd, Thursday, December 07, 2017, 06:51 @ Jack

...with his JUCO brother, IIRC.

Only if he wins an appeal to play early

by HullieAndMikes, Joe Turner's bookcase, ALHS, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 11:31 @ Buffalo

Who knows with the NCAA in either direction.

It's not us so he'll win the appeal.

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 12:05 @ HullieAndMikes

[ No text ]

---
"F--- everyone who isn't us."
#Team128

A logical assumption

by HullieAndMikes, Joe Turner's bookcase, ALHS, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 12:12 @ Chris

[ No text ]

As part of the transfer, the NCAA will also likely require

by Jeff (BGS), A starter home in suburban Tempe, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 12:21 @ HullieAndMikes

that ND vacate all of its wins against Michigan, well, just because.

---
At night, the ice weasels come.

In perpetuity, and ND will be required to keep UM on the

by Jason93, Raining debris all over Europe, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 15:42 @ Jeff (BGS)

schedule every year immediately following the Navy game.

---
I think the children like it when I "get down" verbally.

374367 Postings in 32685 Threads, 204 registered users, 69 users online (1 registered, 68 guests)
Contact