the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

OT: Anyone up for a book thread?

by HCE, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 09:55

I just finished reading Haruki Murakami's IQ84--a very long, clumsy, batshit crazy, and oddly enjoyable novel--so I'm between books and looking for suggestions. What have you guys been reading lately?

Lou Reed, A Life by Anthony DeCurtis

by JD in Portland ⌂, Portland OR, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 23:44 @ HCE

[ No text ]

Just finished October by China Mieville. Good read!

by fightinamish ⌂ @, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 22:22 @ HCE

[ No text ]

Origin, by Dan Brown (of da Vinci Code fame)

by APND02 ⌂ @, Winston-Salem, NC, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 15:42 @ HCE

Trying to be a Don Winslow Completist after The Force

by Albie, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 14:16 @ HCE

I am about halfway there but took a break with The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan. Some Aussie friends recommended it, and it was very powerful. It is the story of a Tasmanian survivor of Burma railroad, an non-sanitized version of The Bridge Over the River Kwai if you will.

They also recommended The Dry by Jane Harper which was outstanding.

For any Chicago folks who like crime fiction, read The Second Life of Nick Mason by Steve Hamilton and Afterlife by Marcus Sakey.

Along with Don Winslow and Adrian McKinty, they are part of The Story Factory which is an interesting stable of authors led by a guy who has a real eye for talent named Shane Salerno. A lot of his authors were ignored by the big houses and are writing, and selling, really good books.

https://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/shanesalerno/

Smoke and Mirrors

by oviedoirish @, Oviedo, Florida, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 13:15 @ HCE

I'm about 2/3 through Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors. It's very interesting collection of short stories (unusual and rather dark). I really like his writing style.

Koba the Dread: Laughter and the 20 Million - Martin Amis

by MTIrish, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 13:11 @ HCE

Excellent albeit brief biography of both Stalin and, to a lesser degree, the European intellectuals who carried water for the Soviets.

Some good stuff recently.

by Romulox, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 12:37 @ HCE

Lincoln in the Bardo - George Saunders. The grieving Abraham Lincoln spends a final night with the body of his son WIllie while a chorus of shocked ghosts narrate. The first novel from one of our best short story writers.

Secondhand Time - Svetlana Alexievich. An oral history of the last generation of the Soviets. The stories of Stalin's prison camps are truly terrifying. The 90s were a disaster were Russia and the rest of the world.

The Plot Against America - Philip Roth. An alternative history where America Firster Charles Lindbergh wins the 1940 election. The rise of anti-semitic fascism in the US told through the eyes of 8 year old Philip Roth and his family.

Lincoln in the Bardo was very good as an audio book

by Flann, Central New Jersey, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 13:34 @ Romulox

[ No text ]

I need to restart the audiobook

by Albie, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 14:23 @ Flann

I was pretty psyched to start it but after an hour I gave it up. I might have been distracted so definitely need to try it again.

Question on 1Q84

by Flann, Central New Jersey, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 12:10 @ HCE

What the hell was that all about?

I really enjoyed some elements of it, but all I came away with was “It’s Only a Paper Moon” stuck in my head intermittently for several years.

Yeah, I had a similar reaction

by HCE, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 13:50 @ Flann

I enjoyed reading it too much to think it's a bad book, but I'm still not sure what happened or what it meant. And yeah, I have "Paper Moon" stuck in my head, too.

Luke Harding (The Guardian) 'Collusion'

by hobbs, San Diego, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 11:19 @ HCE
edited by hobbs, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 11:59

'Collusion: Secret Meetings, Dirty Money, and How Russia Helped Donald Trump Win'

https://www.amazon.com/Collusion-Secret-Meetings-Russia-Helped/dp/0525562516

As irony would have it I'm at the part in the book where they are talking about Trump & Deutsche Bank. Ironic because yesterdays lead story was Mueller subpoenaing Deutsche Bank for Trumps & Kuschner's banks records.

In July Trump told the NYT, 'Trump said that Mueller would be crossing a red line if he investigated the Trump family finances broadly, and in such a case Trump reserved the option to fire Mueller.'

As an aside the mechanics of international money laundering is byzantine. Its easy to see how actors can hide and launder money with the aid of accoutants, tax experts, and banks. Trump isn't even a major player in NY real estate scene and yet he has something like 500 smaller companies where money has passed through.

Your average DA simply doesn't have the resources to look into businesses structured like that.

Read it a couple weeks ago and highly recommend it.

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 11:44 @ hobbs

[ No text ]

John Le Carré even recommends the book.

by hobbs, San Diego, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 11:50 @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

[ No text ]

Frog and Toad Are Friends

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 10:56 @ HCE

[ No text ]

Olaf's Night Before Christmas is surprisingly clever

by HullieAndMikes, Joe Turner's bookcase, ALHS, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 11:02 @ Jay

[ No text ]

Recently finished The Nix

by Larry, Enemy Territory, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 10:45 @ HCE

Solid page-turner.

Also finished Freedom. What a depressing slog.

The Sellout by Paul Beatty

by ndbk32 @, Los Angeles, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 10:35 @ HCE

That was my favorite book I read this year. It's a completely unique satire about race in America. And it won the Man Booker Prize in 2016.

Most recently, I finished Volume 2 of Karl Ove Knaussgard's "My Struggle." Loved it, but it's not exactly a quick read.

He's solid, but our best case is for Wimbush to step up.

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 10:18 @ HCE

[ No text ]

Nice job.

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, December 06, 2017, 10:33 @ BillyGoat

[image]

---
"F--- everyone who isn't us."
#Team128

374353 Postings in 32682 Threads, 204 registered users, 120 users online (5 registered, 115 guests)
Contact