the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

Some good news - Phil Jurkovec does not have mono.

by San Pedro, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 07:57

He is having one of the best seasons in PA football history, which puts him in the running for best worldwide. Apparently he lost ten pounds with a mystery illness last week, but got a win in the semifinals to set up a matchup with the #7 team in the country this weekend.

By all accounts, he is going to push Wimbush when he gets on campus.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high-school-football/2017/12/04/phil-jurkovec-illnes...

The doctor’s office called and had great news for the Pine-Richland High School football team: Phil Jurkovec doesn’t have mononucleosis or Lyme disease or any other ailments.

Jurkovec now can get ready for a PIAA championship.

Jurkovec’s mother, Sara, said Monday that she spoke with doctors, and all tests came back negative after Pine-Richland’s star quarterback was sick for much of last week. He missed some school days, a few practices and lost 10 pounds. He still played in Pine-Richland’s 28-7 victory against Manheim Township Saturday in the PIAA Class 6A semifinals, but Jurkovec said he was sluggish and weak from whatever ailed him.

Jurkovec had tests done Friday at a doctor’s office. After the Manheim game, he said he was told he could have mononucleosis or even Lyme disease, but test results were not back yet at that time.

Sara Jurkovec said her son was feeling better Monday and went to school. Pine-Richland plays St. Joseph’s Prep in a highly anticipated PIAA Class 6A championship Saturday in Hershey, Pa. St. Joseph’s Prep is the No. 7 team in the country according to USA Today and has won three of the past four PIAA championships.

Jurkovec, a Notre Dame recruit, has thrown for 3,769 yards and rushed for 1,136 this season and could become only the third quarterback in Pennsylvania history to throw for 4,000 yards in a season.

Jurkovec’s next opponent was singing his praises Monday.

“He is special,” St. Joseph’s coach Gabe Infante said. “I’ve had the good fortune, or maybe misfortune, of having gone against some great quarterbacks. [Pine-Richland’s] Ben DiNucci was pretty darn special a few years ago. But Jurkovec is as good as anything I have ever seen.”

That is insane.

by Buffalo @, The Dirty South, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 09:50 @ San Pedro

The reason that they don't let you play contact sports with mono is because of the heightened risk of spleen rupture. Given his symptoms, you'd think they would have tested him out for mono BEFORE he played in a football game.

Maybe not.

by NDinVA @, Yorktown, VA, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 09:59 @ Buffalo

It looks he saw the doctor Friday and the game was Saturday. Mom says she got the call about negative results on Monday. I assume the doctor examined him Friday and knew his spleen wasn't enlarged. Mono will only cause an enlarged spleen about 50 percent of the time.

They did test him.

by San Pedro, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 09:55 @ Buffalo

He played before the results came back! I couldn’t believe he was casually suggesting after the game that he could have mono or Lyme disease. PA football is a different animal.

He's not an early enrollee though, right?

by HullieAndMikes, Joe Turner's bookcase, ALHS, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 08:33 @ San Pedro

I think that makes it less likely he would push Wimbush in a genuine way, unless Wimbush doesn't improve the next few games.

No. He’ll be there next summer.

by San Pedro, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 08:49 @ HullieAndMikes

[ No text ]

Then he'll be "break in case of emergency"

by HullieAndMikes, Joe Turner's bookcase, ALHS, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 08:53 @ San Pedro

Like, dog in a room on fire emergency.

Who knows?

by San Pedro, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 09:50 @ HullieAndMikes

I wouldn’t place a bet on our QB position for the duration of next season, given what we just witnessed.

Good. I don't want another open QB competition

by Jeff (BGS), A starter home in suburban Tempe, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 08:38 @ HullieAndMikes

And we all know what I want matters most.

It certainly won't hurt for Wimbush to know that someone is coming up who can take his job if he doesn't improve, but I'd rather the coaches focus on developing Wimbush for next season.

---
At night, the ice weasels come.

The bad news: his throwing arm fell off.

by Kevin @, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 08:10 @ San Pedro

They finally thought to check his arms, and it turns out that's where the ten pounds went.

Long should be able to scheme around that

by Jeff (BGS), A starter home in suburban Tempe, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 08:34 @ Kevin

[ No text ]

---
At night, the ice weasels come.

hell we scored 35 ppg this year without a throwing arm

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 08:56 @ Jeff (BGS)
edited by Jay, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 09:11

[ No text ]

'Tis but a scratch

by hobbs, San Diego, Tuesday, December 05, 2017, 08:44 @ Jeff (BGS)

[ No text ]

374428 Postings in 32689 Threads, 204 registered users, 110 users online (3 registered, 107 guests)
Contact