the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

so, OSU or Alabama?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Saturday, December 02, 2017, 22:03

[ No text ]

If Auburn hadn't blown it vs LSU, would they be in?

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 10:47 @ Jay

[ No text ]

It would be a good test case

by Jeff (BGS), A starter home in suburban Tempe, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 16:05 @ MHB (Rakes of Mallow)

The committee seems to be sorting by number of losses, and then using their criteria (championships won, strength of schedule, etc.) to separate teams with a similar number of losses.

But it would be hard to take 1-loss Bama over 2-loss Auburn. Auburn's two losses would be to playoff teams (one early in the season), they have head-to-head over Bama, and they have a much better win (UGa) against an otherwise similar list of wins.

---
At night, the ice weasels come.

Bama it is

by Rob (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 10:38 @ Jay

[ No text ]

This was the perfect outcome.

by KGB, Monday, December 04, 2017, 07:50 @ Rob (Rakes of Mallow)

Ohio State gets fucked in the ear, and the "13TH GAME IS SACRED" claptrap gets blown the hell up. Absolutely perfect.

love it

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 11:16 @ Rob (Rakes of Mallow)

[ No text ]

Wow!

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 10:57 @ Rob (Rakes of Mallow)

I’d love to hear about the politicking behind this.

I don't think there is a compelling case for either

by Bill, Southern California, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 10:28 @ Jay

over the other.

Coin flip.

Agreed

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 10:52 @ Bill

Since the committee comprises conference interests, it’ll be OSU.

The only way it isn’t OSU is if the PAC makes a strong case for USC. My feeling is that isn’t happening.

Oklahoma and Georgia have never played.

by PMan, The Banks of the Spokane River, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 09:36 @ Jay

I think it is a neat bit of history that they likely get their first meeting in the Rose Bowl of all places.

I'm sort of surprised OSU is even in the conversation

by Rob (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 09:00 @ Jay

They lost pretty convincingly to Oklahoma and got destroyed by Iowa. They had solid wins against PSU (although a bit lucky), MSU, and Wisconsin.

Alabama had one poor performance (vs. 2 for OSU) against Auburn. They do have solid wins against LSU and Mississippi State. They destroyed basically everyone else they played against.

I'd pick Alabama between the two of them. And I hate both programs so I'm trying to be as objective as possible.

Alabama.

by San Pedro, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 07:19 @ Jay

Burn this conference championship game canard to the ground.

Exactly what I was thinking.

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 08:10 @ San Pedro

If OSU gets in due to winning the B-10 championship game, this will mean ND would be screwed in similar circumstances.

Unfortunately I fear the committee will pick OSU.

by San Pedro, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 09:44 @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

I have nothing to base this on, but my sense is that they are more comfortable bumping a conference champ for another team in the conference as opposed to an outsider. Like they did with PSU and OSU last season.

if Alabama, why not Wisconsin?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 09:28 @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

Is their SOS that much worse?

Blind taste test—I see your point

by Turtlecrack, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 10:22 @ Jay

I think like Notre Dame, the big ten absent Ohio State, is guilty till proven innocent

Want OSU out causing urban to need another booth break

by Turtlecrack, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 06:41 @ Jay

And then we luck into him as our coach.

UCF.

by LaFortune Teller ⌂ @, South Bend, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 06:01 @ Jay

[ No text ]

This is why it needs to be an 8 team playoff at least.

by Pat (Moco), Slave Den, Brian Cook's Basement, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 11:55 @ LaFortune Teller

With eight, you wouldn't have had many of these battles. It would've been the P5 champs, UCF, and then you could've added 2 of Wisconsin/TCU/Miami/Stanford/Alabama/Auburn, or whoever else is worthy of consideration and focus on the records, strengths, etc.

I am definitely a fan of an 8-team playoff

by Jeff (BGS), A starter home in suburban Tempe, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 17:36 @ Pat (Moco)

But, I I don't think it is particularly compelling/necessary this season. I suspect the favorites would roll through the first round, although you never know.

1 Clemson
8 Central Florida

4 Alabama
5 Ohio State

2 Oklahoma
7 Southern Cal

3 Georgia
6 Wisconsin

---
At night, the ice weasels come.

Seconded

by Ben @, Sunday, December 03, 2017, 08:08 @ LaFortune Teller

I just don't think any of the others have earned a spot.
Alabama should not go in ahead of Auburn who beat them convincingly.
Auburn has three losses. No go.
Ohio State got pummeled by Iowa. I just can't get past that.
Miami lost their shot by getting killed last night.
I honestly think USC has a better case than Ohio State. But they don't deserve a shot either.

So screw them all and give the undefeated team a spot. It's very unfortunate that they won't have their coach.

Auburn

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Saturday, December 02, 2017, 23:15 @ Jay

[ No text ]

374448 Postings in 32693 Threads, 204 registered users, 128 users online (5 registered, 123 guests)
Contact