the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

Doeren staying at NC State

by Greg, the 'Dena, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 11:19

[ No text ]

---
#asshat

Can you turn Rocky Top into a pirate song?

by JD in Portland ⌂, Portland OR, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 21:15 @ Greg

[ No text ]

Alas, that may no longer be feasible...

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Friday, December 01, 2017, 08:38 @ JD in Portland

Sad. It would have been spectacular to watch play out

by JD in Portland ⌂, Portland OR, Friday, December 01, 2017, 11:26 @ irishvol

[ No text ]

I would have loved to see him in there.

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Friday, December 01, 2017, 13:29 @ JD in Portland

I have no idea how successful Leach would be, but I would have been interested to see the effect of better facilities, better tradition, and bigger budgets would have on his system. And the press conferences would be spectacular.

Alas, we're back to square one...

Anyone else surprised BK's name hasn't come up?

by Mike (bart), Thursday, November 30, 2017, 13:26 @ Greg

Not that I think he'd leave for Tennessee, but it's really surprising in this day and age of speculation for speculation's sake that no one even wants to pull Kelly's name into articles

Might be an indication of what folks think about him as a

by APND02 ⌂ @, Winston-Salem, NC, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 15:34 @ Mike (bart)

coach. Or an indication that folks don’t think he has many miles left. Or both.

---
http://clashmoremike.com/author/anthony

By that logic, people think highly of Dave Doeren?

by Pat (Moco), Slave Den, Brian Cook's Basement, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 20:36 @ APND02

The guy who blamed laptops and non-offsides offsides for loses?

I think it's what Greg said

by Jack @, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 16:05 @ APND02
edited by Jack, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 16:51

I don't think people think he's available in the first place.

The number of head coaches who have left Notre Dame voluntarily to take another head coaching job: zero.

There's also the evidence of recruiting. See FSU recruiting news the last couple of days. as a contrast.

Not really.

by Bill, Southern California, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:59 @ Mike (bart)

All of the openings are, at best, lateral moves from Notre Dame. You seldom see names come up unless the move would represent a move up for the candidate.

I've seen it pop up

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:30 @ Mike (bart)

Nowhere in print, but I've heard whispers about him with various FSU circles. Not as the prime candidate but one in the conversation. Talked about that yesterday....

http://bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?mode=entry&id=381197

I think it might have last year

by Greg, the 'Dena, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 13:29 @ Mike (bart)

Jack pretty much sold out for him last year and I can't see forgiveness of any scenario that involves an interview, or really even any leaks from Kelly's agent. So unless a guy is just tossing out names of top-20 coaches (and retired guys like Stoops) for the opening, Kelly and the agent know that this is not the year to put anything out there.

---
#asshat

Not sure what our vol thinks...

by BPH, San Diego, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 11:30 @ Greg

but I get the sense that most Vols fans are happy about this. I saw lots of Twitter comparisons of the conference records of Doeren and Jones -- both 10 games under .500.

Unless some news names emerge, it seems like they're down to the coordinator route: guys like Kevin Steele and Tee Martin (though I guess Chad Morris is still out there). Why isn't Mike Norvell being considered?

I'm good w/that

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 12:05 @ BPH

From what I can tell, Doeren's mediocre and a bit of a tool. I don't know how we've gotten to the point where we're in a bidding war w/NC State for a coach with a losing conference record. I guess a decade of ineptitude will do that.

I'd considered asking Jay what I'd need to do to change my handle if Doeren were hired. I guess that's off the table. For now.

Scuttle now is that they're going to try to talk to Sumlin. Don't know why that didn't happen before Doeren but whatever. At this point, I think it's at least worth kicking the tires on a number of guys - Norvell, Tee, Leach. If you're going to throw $7M toward Gundy, I'd call Fuente and ask what it'd take. Hell, I'd even consider Kiffin, if for no other reason than entertainment.

To your point - I've read multiple places suggesting there's some skeletons in Mike Norvell's closet. There's either something to that, or he's told them privately that he's not interested.

To Bingo's point - yes, this is an absolute cluster.

Time to hire Busco

by CW (Rakes) @, Harlan County, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 12:37 @ irishvol

[ No text ]

$7M would buy a lot of Busch Light

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 15:16 @ CW (Rakes)

[ No text ]

Wing-T Forever

by scriptcomesfirst @, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 13:48 @ CW (Rakes)

[ No text ]

Replace the fake smoke with idling diesel trucks.

by Greg, the 'Dena, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 13:51 @ scriptcomesfirst

[ No text ]

---
#asshat

Something I just read suggested Sumlin as the next target.

by professor @, Tallahassee, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 11:57 @ BPH

[ No text ]

What an absolute cluster.

by Bingo @, Fort Wayne, IN, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 11:30 @ Greg

They've known since week four of the season that Jones was toast and yet here we stand. Really impressive ineptitude by the UT admin, bravo.

374417 Postings in 32688 Threads, 204 registered users, 96 users online (7 registered, 89 guests)
Contact