the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

OT: The Case for Normalizing Impeachment

by oviedoirish @, Oviedo, Florida, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 10:49

Anyone who doesn't think a wave election is coming next year

by Jack @, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 10:59 @ oviedoirish
edited by Jack, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 11:09

is fooling themselves, especially the Fool in Chief.

If Moore gets elected in Alabama, he'll claim all is well, despite that even if he does win, he'll win by the lowest margin conceivable in Alabama.

If the Democrats take over the House, this impeachment thing will get legs. But if it's from one side only, like with Clinton, it could backfire. If they can't get any Republicans to go along, they shouldn't even try.

It's always wise to remember that Nixon resigned because he lost Republican support.

Thoughts on upcoming IL politics stuff?

by Mike (bart), Thursday, November 30, 2017, 11:14 @ Jack

- Rauner really appears to be toast. Incoming fire from all sides, his own team that he came in with is shelling out dirt on him every which way, not very competent, has done a bad job, etc. Everyone in the admin is eyeing the exits

- Luis Guiterriez is running for president, apparently. Really interesting to see what happens in that 4th congressional district. If Chuy Garcia gets it Rahm loses a big name challenger for 2019 (which also means that Kurt Summers loses a challenger for 2019). Have to figure Rahm is an odds-on favorite for re-election, which is shocking considering where he was a year ago

- At the same time, 35th ward alderman Carlos Ramirez-Rosa and 1st Ward alderman Joe Moreno are gunning for the spot as well. Would love to see Rosa out of the city council. The guy is an ideologist, which has no place in municipal government

- the state GOP is looking to be in a lot of trouble post-2018, potentially locked out of every statewide office, with longtime congressmen like Roskam and Bost gone, and a recently leaderless caucus in the Senate and a near total insurrection against Jim Durkin in the House. This after they handed over the entire party apparatus to Rauner, who, if he loses, will he stay involved? Who knows? I've got a good number of friends who have spent a while buidling careers and networks in the Chicagoland/IL GOP establishment and they're all just so grossed out by the guy and the whole situation right now.

Was just listening to NPR, they just said Tregg Duerson

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Friday, December 01, 2017, 16:55 @ Mike (bart)

Is running for a seat in the state legislature! Good for him.

My two cents

by Jack @, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:48 @ Mike (bart)
edited by Jack, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:53

- Agree on Rauner. Nothing about his term of office has surprised me, and I always thought he'd be a one term governor. The only question will be if the Democrat is any better. The last 2 were terrible. One was incompetent but at least honest and the other was incompetent and dishonest. And there's still Madigan really running the state anyway. Also, Pritzker is as rich as Rauner and Kennedy isn't far behind, though worth "only" $40 million, and they're both willing to spend it, so he doesn't have a money advantage this time. I'd be totally shocked if he got re-elected.

- Agree on all of it. Luis running for president (if he does) would be mildly interesting but he won't get anywhere, of course. Rahm does have to be popping champagne corks because Gutierrez's endorsement of Chuy is huge. He's odds on to win Luis's seat for certain.

- Moreno has a much better shot than Ramirez-Rosa, I think. But see above on the Gutierrez endorsement. It's big.

- Agreed, the Illinois GOP is in terrible shape. Roskam is my rep and I'd love him out of there, incidentally.

I grew up with Jim Durkin (and his 7 brothers), by the way. Great guy, as all the Durkin brothers are (Judge Tom is the oldest). I graduated from grade school with his brother Terry. My parents and his were very close friends.

One piece of scuttlebutt I've heard re: Madigan

by Mike (bart), Friday, December 01, 2017, 07:35 @ Jack

is that he's hanging it up as soon as the next round of legislative maps are done post-2020. That's why Lisa stepped down when she did - she's looking to spend 4-5 years on corporate boards, etc. before she gears up to run for Governor in 2022 (or whenever), once her dad is off the scene.

agree with you re: the Durkins - great family. Jim has always in my observation and experience been a good faith, fair minded and generous guy. The hardliners really don't seem to have a grasp of how respected the guy is in Springfield and Chicago, and how much he holds the line on conservative causes. It's going to be very fitting when what Ken Griffin, Dick Uhlien and Rauner get for all of their millions spent is a constitutional amendment and a graduated state income tax

As a Dem I think Pence could be worse

by oviedoirish @, Oviedo, Florida, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 11:11 @ Jack

legislatively. But trump scares the hell out of me, is clearly unfit for office and dangerous, and is an embarrassment to the country. I wish they would get him out.

Hopefully

by Grantland @, y'allywood, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 13:12 @ oviedoirish

The dems take Congress in 18.

Impeachment starts in early 19 and finishes in late 19.

Pence is a lame duck.

Biden/Kasich wins presidency in a landslide.

Biden/Kasich?

by JN @, Seattle, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:11 @ Grantland

lol. no

ETA - democrats are not going to support a guy that believes PP should be defunded. Nor should anyone else, but come on.

I think he meant Biden or Kasich, not them running together

by Jack @, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:55 @ JN
edited by Jack, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 14:59

But if he didn't, yeah there isn't a chance in hell Kasich would run with a Democrat. And it doesn't have to do with Democrats accepting Kasich. It has to do with Kasich accepting Democrats in the first place. Kasich is a complete Reaganite. Running as or with a Democrat is not even in the conversation.

No, I (somewhat jokingly) meant together.

by Grantland @, y'allywood, Friday, December 01, 2017, 09:38 @ Jack

And I am not the only to have ever said it:

For both Kasich and Biden, even trying again to win the presidency is the longest of long shots. Perhaps if they want to prevail they should consider running together on a bipartisan ticket, exploiting the opening 2016 revealed: that both parties are suffering a likely fatal loss of power that can’t be recovered in a vastly splintered electorate. Kasich and Biden could choose to present themselves as pragmatic, governing candidates who reject our new polarization that leads primary elections to produce awful candidates. Or Biden and Kasich can just, each, have a voice.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/05/05/kasich_and_biden_yearn_for_2020_1...

That's less crazy

by JN @, Seattle, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 15:00 @ Jack

Though I also don't see Kasich winning in a landslide. To be fair, I think the same is true of Biden. I think Biden would have had a great chance in 2016. But I don't see the Dems putting a 78 year old up in 2020.

Kasich is pretty damn conservative. He may win support from the Rs, but I don't think he'd be a wide favorite to win the presidency against some unnamed D. Especially given the fracturing that would happen in the R party if Trump were pushed out.

Agreed. Kasich is kind of the GOP version of Biden in that

by Jack @, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 15:23 @ JN
edited by Jack, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 15:29

he'd really need to be the VP first before being a presidential front-runner. It's the charisma deficit thing.

Agree on Biden's age - and it goes for Sanders, too. I think there should be a papal election rule for president. You can't run if you would take office at the age of 75 or more, except for a second term. And a president still in office past 80? Should never, ever happen.

Once in a great while you get a Konrad Adenauer. Once in a very, very great while. Even Winston Churchill - he was just plain too old at the end of his second stint as prime minister.

It will be interesting to see if someone mounts a serious

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 15:06 @ JN

primary challenge to Trump.

I think someone will, and Kasich is the best bet to do it

by Jack @, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 15:25 @ BillyGoat

[ No text ]

That lack of charisma thing is gonna hurt him

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Friday, December 01, 2017, 08:22 @ Jack

He's said this a few times, and its painfully true - so much of politics right now is the 5 second quippy soundbite. And he's not good at that.

Love Biden, but he just turned 75 on Nov 20.

by NDinVA @, Yorktown, VA, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 13:48 @ Grantland

Doesn't seem likely.

Exactly where I'm at.

by Bingo @, Fort Wayne, IN, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 11:33 @ oviedoirish

I despise Pence and got a first hand look at him as he tried to ruin the Indiana economy. He's awful but I won't go to bet at night wondering if WW3 is right around the corner.

374368 Postings in 32685 Threads, 204 registered users, 87 users online (0 registered, 87 guests)
Contact