the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

topics not covered yet in the 8-year history of TPG

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 10:20

I got one, I think: gardening. Speaking of avocadoes (thanks, KGB)...I planted an avocado tree in the backyard several months ago. Adjusted the drip line for it, provided fertilizer, etc. It's not doing very good, but maybe the brown leaves and droopiness are seasonal? Anyway, who's got an avocado tree and what tips do you have for me?

You need two for cross pollination.

by River, Hell of the Upside Down Sinners, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 19:39 @ Jay

Tried and true. I learned the hard way many years ago and I was educated by a professional Guatamalen landscape expert as I lamented my one tree doing nothing. Planted another 10’ away and I have gotten fruit off both trees every year, and every year they get better, since.

BTW, my wife will divorce me before Andy(Guatemalan) is allowed to leave. Honestly, I support her decision.

PS... you will get fruit from one tree, but they will generally be hard and inedible. Two an dthey just get better and better. I guess that explains groves.

Start with water

by Joe (LBbeachrat) @, Los Angeles, CA, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 10:55 @ Jay

Brown leaves (and I'm assuming the browning starts at the tips) may indicate too frequent watering / too moist soil. Avocados are trees, so you want infrequent but long waterings. Let the water get deeper into the soil so the roots will grow deeper, and then (once the tree has been established) let the soil sit for a week. Do not water it as if it was a lawn (i.e., short, shallow waterings on a daily basis).

Oviedo's link looks like a good read.

good call -- might be the problem

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 11:37 @ Joe (LBbeachrat)

I've gotten so much conflicting advice on water for new avocadoes, but maybe it is getting too much.

I planted three Asian pear trees along side my home.

by Bill, Southern California, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 10:33 @ Jay

I'm having the same good fortune with those, that you're having with your avocado tree. And the squirrels seem to get any of the limited fruit they produce before I do.

Have you been to this site? Looks pretty good.

by oviedoirish @, Oviedo, Florida, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 10:33 @ Jay

good site -- this was news to me

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 10:56 @ oviedoirish

"Put 20 pounds of gypsum spread around the tree base and mulch the area with 6 inches of the mulch, keeping the material about 6-8 inches away from the tree trunk.
Fertilize your young avocado trees with 1/2 -1 pound of actual Nitrogen per tree per year. You can spread it out over several applications as long as it totals 1/2 to 1 pound of Nitrogen. The other important nutrient for avocado trees is Zinc. Ordinary home fertilizer for houseplants normally should work."

Go on Twitter and ask Jason Mraz.

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 10:29 @ Jay

I'm only sorta joking.

http://www.eatingwell.com/article/284844/jason-mraz-the-accidental-avocado-farmer/

---
"F--- everyone who isn't us."
#Team128

374353 Postings in 32682 Threads, 204 registered users, 117 users online (3 registered, 114 guests)
Contact