I don't know where you stand on musicals, or movie-musicals

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 09:13 (2653 days ago)

But anybody who doesn't thoroughly enjoy LA LA LAND can get right out of town. This movie had everything:

* singing
* dancing
* singing and dancing on the on-ramp from the 105 to the 110
* Hermosa Beach
* Griffith Park in real life, and in Rebel Without a Cause
* an 80s cover band
* John Legend (playing a vaguely villainous character)
* jazz love
* an ode to Paris that will make you cry
* an epilogue sequence that is simply astonishing in its creativity and emotional punch
* a great Gosling double-take
* Emma Stone in all her wonderfulness

I know where you stand on comic book movies

by Pat, in the cloud, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 20:13 (2652 days ago) @ Jay

and I do think fatigue is setting in as they mine deeper and deeper into the source material.

On the other hand, I think we are seeing the result of Deadpool's R-rated success here.

Wow.

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Friday, January 20, 2017, 09:47 (2652 days ago) @ Pat

That's a comic book movie I'd actually like to see.

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

Which is why, if DC is going to be so dark,

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 20, 2017, 09:59 (2652 days ago) @ Greg

then go all out and make a "The Death of Superman" movie
instead of wasting my time with the bullshit they are putting out.
You do a BvS movie and the best part of the 151 minute movie was
the appearance of Wonder Woman.

Do better.

And I'm watching Deadpool again tonight because it's
a comic book movie done right.

--
"F--- everyone who isn't us."
#Team128

I think it's really interesting...

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Friday, January 20, 2017, 07:23 (2652 days ago) @ Pat

That this trailer basically reveals so much of what the 1st trailer was hinting at. I wonder why not let the mystery continue for a bit. I mean, if you saw the first trailer, you knew what was up, but still...

--
Sometimes I rhyme slow sometimes I rhyme quick.

I do feel like a rube

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Friday, January 20, 2017, 05:01 (2652 days ago) @ Pat

But this is the first superhero movie I am looking forward to since the third Nolan Batman.

It was good, but...

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 11:49 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

2/3 of the way through I started to dislike the lightness of it. Thematically, it's soft.

It's Young Girls of Rochefort, not Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

But that's just me.

Now I wish we had gone to see it.

by NDinVA @, Yorktown, VA, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 10:46 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

I was in Los Angeles over Christmas vacation, and one of the items on our agenda was to see LaLa Land while we were in LaLa Land.

But one of my daughter's good friends who works "in the industry", for Disney I believe, advised us against it. (She finagled us into a free SAG screen of Rogue One).

She said there wasn't much chemistry between Stone and Gosling, and neither one was much of a singer. So we decided to skip it.

Except for her, everyone else I've talked to seems to have loved it. Guess we'll go see it this weekend.

Enviable beard stubble

by BPH, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 10:32 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

It's charming. I loved every minute of it.

by Buck Mulligan, Martello Tower, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 10:20 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

Let your daughters enjoy the big screen spectacle.

secondhand horror review

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 10:58 (2653 days ago) @ Buck Mulligan

BYE BYE MAN is no bueno, according to my bartender at the Arc Light, who sagely noted that no underage kids were sneaking into it, so it must be crap.

Horror question/poll/spoiler if you got it

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 13:26 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

What will the twist at the end of Split be?

--

Split spoiler

by CW (Rakes) @, Harlan County, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 13:49 (2653 days ago) @ Greg

Again this a spoiler for the new M. Night film Split, please stop reading if you don't want spoiled.

~

As I understand it, the whole thing is a set up for a hypothetical Unbreakable 2 and is a supervillain origin story for James McAvoy. The final shot is Bruce Willis at a diner seeing a news report or some such about McAvoy's character getting away despite the amount of violence inflicted upon him. There's a scene earlier in the movie with the train crash site from Unbreakable. One person told me had they known the twist they would have enjoyed the film more, one person said they booed at the reveal and hated the movie. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks dude

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Friday, January 20, 2017, 09:50 (2652 days ago) @ CW (Rakes)

- No text -

--

Holy s#!t!! That's really the twist.

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, January 20, 2017, 06:40 (2652 days ago) @ CW (Rakes)

- No text -

--
#Team128

I am here [spoiler]

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 14:17 (2653 days ago) @ CW (Rakes)

for the Unbreakable extended universe

he was only acting

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 13:41 (2653 days ago) @ Greg

cf. Fear, Primal.

Firsthand horror review

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 12:41 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

It Follows was fine. Not as good as The Witch. Watch if you want a creepy 90 minutes with a bunch of ghost titties and one shot of some ghost dick.

Plus it's a blatant ripoff of Candyman

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 12:32 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

I'll see just about anything for $5 (Tuesday night special)

by Buck Mulligan, Martello Tower, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 11:16 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

but I appreciate the review and will likely skip this one. It didn't look very good and couple that with the PG-13 rating? WE CAN DO BETTER.

that's funny about the PG-13 rating

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 11:19 (2653 days ago) @ Buck Mulligan

He said the same thing. "And what horror movie worth a shit is rated PG-thirteen?"

Hollywood greenlit a movie called "Bye Bye Man"

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 11:01 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

America is already great

Really good. Have been humming the score recently. 1 nit.

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 09:48 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

Gosling and Stone are fine singers and dancers, but their deficiencies really stood out at moments (him in particular).

The film starts with a smash number full of truly talented singers and dancers (and a biker and a skateboarder . . . ). The second number is Stone surrounded by a similarly musically exceptional group, in which she's not quite on the same level.

Then you get a bunch of sloppy tap dancing and mostly sing-speaking for A Lovely Night and City of Stars. It's not until they really let Stone get into it on Audition that I felt like the stars were truly in a musical, if that makes any sense.

All that said, loved it. Loved the score. Loved the chemistry. But the way the director sequenced the numbers took me out of it a bit because I felt like it highlighted the fact that Stone and Gosling aren't a strong song and dance duo.

I thought it could have used another couple numbers

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 10:16 (2653 days ago) @ MHB (Rakes of Mallow)

There's a long stretch where the musical content amounts to a jazz montage and the John Legend stage scene (plus the score). I think it could have used one, and maybe two more true song & dance numbers in the middle section of the movie. It feels a little unbalanced as it is. But this is truly picking nits. FTR Gosling and Stone's singing and dancing didn't distract me in the slightest. I think they're both pretty good dancers and although he's a little weak vocally, it still worked just fine. I'm glad they didn't do any voice doubling because that would have been pretty distracting.

Agree on the doubling.

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 12:09 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

Vocally, neither is really given all that much to do until Stone kills it with Audition. She killed that.

Re dancing: The shuffly tap during A Lovely Night didn't impress me at all. The dance among the stars is better, but so heavily edited and stylized (not a knock) that their dancing takes a back seat to the visuals.

yup

by CW (Rakes) @, Harlan County, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 10:37 (2653 days ago) @ Jay
edited by CW (Rakes), Thursday, January 19, 2017, 11:01

It is odd that the only two number-numbers are the first two songs in the first ten minutes and then the rest is not that way. I would have either done just the first one or split them up a bit.

But that's a good movie. I will admit there was some backlash fermenting in my heart during the Globes speeches where the theme seemed to be "Gosh, can you believe a musical can be successful?" which would be a fair point in a world without Hamilton. In this world, it came off as too much of a "Nobody believed in us." I will be okay if it, Moonlight, Manchester or PopStar wins Best Picture.

Also, to answer Jim's question, I think Damian Chazelle might like jazz and would like to explain that to you, especially if you're a lady.

And I am with BPH on the earworm power of the Moana soundtrack.

Ok but

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 10:46 (2653 days ago) @ CW (Rakes)

how was the 2017 Best Picture Winner that you saw last night

extensive "Return of Xander Cage" spoilers within

by CW (Rakes) @, Harlan County, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 11:16 (2653 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)
edited by CW (Rakes), Thursday, January 19, 2017, 11:23

It's so completely bonkers and makes no attempt to be anything but the best action movie a teenager who is up at 4 a.m. drinking Mountain Dew would write. The dialogue is all ~so bad~ but it's all very fun. Some things that happen:

* The opening scene is Samuel L. Jackson trying to recruit the soccer player Neymar (played by Neymar) to the xXx team. They are killed by a falling satellite.

* We then see Donnie Yen and a team break into the CIA headquarters in NYC and steal the device that can control all satellites. Donnie Yen is fucking awesome in everything. His second-in-command is portrayed by Deepika Padukone, an Indian actress who I believe is making her American film debut. She is a babe and awesome. Toni Collette is running the CIA...or NSA? Or something? Toni Collette is in charge.

* We then get to Vin, who steals a battery off a radio tower in the Dominican Republic. He then skis (through a jungle, obviously), then skateboards to beat a ticking clock because...there's a soccer game starting and he needed to power the village satellite so everyone can watch.

* Vin recruits a team that includes a lady sniper (makes sense), a driver (sure - the driver is portrayed by Ser Sandor Clegane) and...a DJ. The guy is just a DJ who is fun to be around. He is okay with a pistol but his biggest contribution is, you bet, DJing.

* There is a chase scene between Vin and Donnie Yen that involves dirt bikes with deployable water skis. It's fucking great.

* Tony Gonzalez the tight end is in this movie, playing a special ops troop. At one point he gets in a fight using giant metal super punching gloves.

* Ice Cube shows up with a grenade launcher.

* Nina Dobrev is in this movie answering the question "What if Q was crazy attractive, crazy horny and female?".

* Spoiler: Jackson and Neymar didn't die. They show up at the end at Jackson's funeral and visit Vin in the balcony of the church. Important note: Vin is not wearing shirtsleeves at this funeral.

I can't imagine a situation where someone would see a trailer for this movie, say "I want to see this movie", see this movie, and come out in any way disappointed.

Tags:
potpourri

excellent writeup

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 11:22 (2653 days ago) @ CW (Rakes)

/potpourri tagged.

Roger Ebert would be proud

by BPH, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 19:55 (2652 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Speaking of Ebert

by CW (Rakes) @, Harlan County, Friday, January 20, 2017, 05:59 (2652 days ago) @ BPH

I really enjoy his review of the second "xXx" starring Ice Cube, which he gave 2.5 stars: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/xxx-state-of-the-union-2005

I've been humming a score, too

by BPH, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 10:15 (2653 days ago) @ MHB (Rakes of Mallow)

But it's not La La Land. Moana, baby! Such great, catchy songs. May LM Miranda never get off this creative kick he's on.

LMM has been Reaganing for multiple years now...

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 12:12 (2653 days ago) @ BPH

he's just incredible.

I'm rewatching How I Met Your Mother and just saw the episode he's in (Season 9 -- Bedtime Stories).

Good year for Oscar songs, I guess.

by MattG, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 11:22 (2653 days ago) @ BPH

None of the songs from SING STREET are likely to be nominated, from what I've seen.

If there was a better song than "Drive It Like You Stole It" in a movie last year, it was "A Beautiful Sea".

I'll grant that "You're Welcome" and that part of "We Know The Way" where LMM sings "we tell the stories of our elders in a neverending chain" are pretty awesome though.

Shiny might be my favorite

by BPH, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 11:30 (2653 days ago) @ MattG

My kids chuckle every time they hear "Maui" rhymed with "hiney."

Also, if the start of the Oscars

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 09:45 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

doesn't involve the casts of the nominated films jumping out of cars and dancing to Another Day of Sun, what is the point of that show.

Golden Globes did it

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 09:49 (2653 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

Ugh, Fallon

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 09:50 (2653 days ago) @ MHB (Rakes of Mallow)

- No text -

I know it's not for everyone, but man it worked for me

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 09:25 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

That ending....wow.

Also, do you think Damien Chazelle likes jazz

Re Chazelle and Jazz

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 12:59 (2653 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

I heard him on Fresh Air talking about his love of jazz + also recently watched the "good job" scene about Charlie Parker.

Then the other day I read a short play called Dutchman, written by black radical Amiri Baraka. In the final monologue, a black character (read easily as a stand in for the author), includes this rant about Bessie Smith and Charlie Parker (note: "ofay" is a slang derogatory for white person):

"Old
 bald‐headed
 four‐eyed
 ofays popping 
their 
fingers
 . . . 
and
 don't
 know
 yet 
what 
they're doing.
 They 
say,
 'I 
love 
Bessie 
Smith' 
and
 don't
 even 
understand 
that 
Bessie
 Smith 
is 
saying, 'Kiss 
my 
ass, 
kiss 
my 
black 
unruly 
ass.' 
Before
 love,
 suffering, 
desire,
 anything
 you
 can explain,
 she's
 saying, 
and
 very 
plainly,
 'Kiss 
my 
black 
ass.' And 
if 
you 
don't 
know
 that, 
it's 
you that's 
doing 
the 
kissing. Charlie 
Parker?! Charlie
 Parker. 
All
 the 
hip 
white 
boys 
scream 
for 
Bird. 
And 
Bird
 saying, 
'Up 
your ass, 
feeble‐minded 
ofay! 
Up
 your 
ass.' 
And 
they
 sit
 there talking
 about
 the
 tortured 
genius 
of
 Charlie
 Parker.
 Bird
 would've 
played 
not
 a
 note 
of
 music if he 
just 
walked 
up
 to 
East 
Sixty‐Seventh
 Street
 and
 killed 
the 
first 
ten 
white 
people 
he 
saw. 
Not 
a 
note!"

I thought about Chazelle when I read that, and also about the whiteness of his two films thus far. Especially the way his camera and characters worship of the black blues band in La La Land.

Don't have a fully formed thought on all this, but just wanted to share another perspective on one of Chazelle's muses.

He's right about Bessie, wrong about Charlie Parker

by HCE, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 13:42 (2653 days ago) @ MHB (Rakes of Mallow)

Pretty much everything I've ever read about Bessie Smith confirms this, her ethos really was "kiss my black ass." Charlie Parker, on the other hand, really was a tortured genius (though more in an "intellectual heroin addict" than "Byronic hero" sort of way).

More to the point, he's right about the people he's making fun of, the people like Kerouac and Ginsberg, who loved the music but romanticized it beyond all recognition. Every clip of Ginsberg in Ken Burns' Jazz makes my skin crawl:

NARRATOR: Parker and his fellow be-boppers were flattered by the attention of the Beats—but bewildered by it, too. Bebop was intricate, sophisticated, demanding—only the most highly skilled musicians were capable of playing it. Yet the Beats insisted it was simple, spontaneous self-expression—anybody could do it.

ALLEN GINSBERG: Jazz gives us a way of expressing the spontaneous motions of the heart. It’s like a fountain of instantaneous inspiration that’s available to everybody. All you got to do is tune on your radio or put on your record or pick up an ax yourself and blow.

NARRATOR: It was not the first time that jazz enthusiasts had misunderstood both the music and the musicians who made it. It would not be the last.

link

Interesting about the Beats

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 13:53 (2653 days ago) @ HCE

Baraka was influenced early by the Beat poets and later published some Ginsburg and Kerouac works for Totem Press.

As he became a black nationalist, though, he distanced himself from those types, as is evident in that passage I quoted.

I don't know his work that well

by HCE, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 14:03 (2653 days ago) @ MHB (Rakes of Mallow)

I've read some of his early stuff (in Beat Literature anthologies during my teenage Beat infatuation), and I've read the particularly charming poem where he blamed Israel for 9/11.

NJ revoked the state poet laureate title for that

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 23:23 (2652 days ago) @ HCE

Not his holding of the title, because they didn't have statutory standing to do that. So they just got rid of the position altogether.

quick note on the use of the Lighthouse

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 13:17 (2653 days ago) @ MHB (Rakes of Mallow)

You probably know that's a real place, located on Pier Ave in Hermosa Beach. And it does have a storied history as a west coast jazz club, dating back to the 1940s.

However, as depicted in La La Land, it is not now a primarily black club, and only features jazz a couple times a week (I believe).

While watching the movie I felt this was a little bit of Chazelle projecting.

Yup, the Lighthouse is historic in jazz circles

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 13:52 (2653 days ago) @ Jay
edited by hobbs, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 13:57

You're right about the 'West Coast Cool" guys and that place. I think Chet Baker practically lived there and even local WCC guys like Shelly Manne (and his men) played there regularly. Everyone from Miles to Mingus played there and just about everybody recorded an album at that place.

Are you a jazz guy, Jay?

have you seen much in the way of people not liking it?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 09:35 (2653 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

I deliberately avoided reading anything about it ahead of time, but I'm about to dive in.

I understand the aversion to super-stagey movie musicals, like Chicago or Moulin Rouge. This one is pitched with a different tone, setting, story, etc, than those. It's so completely accessible that I think even anti-musical grumpuses would enjoy it.

Hollywood has kind of screwed itself here, though

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 10:34 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

For the record, I haven't seen La La Land, but I find Gosling and Stone to always be fantastic and my wife really enjoyed it.

The problem is, critics/film industry types have gone so overboard for mediocre musicals and such because they cannot, just cannot, resist any film that is anyway a celebration of them, or "art", or whatever. Remember that time they gave Best Picture to a movie because it has a cute dog?

what are the mediocre musicals you're thinking of?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 10:45 (2653 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

The modern history of movie musicals is not very extensive. LA LA LAND will likely be an outlier, like all the others in recent memory. It's not like we're about to embark on a golden age of singing and dancing at the movies.

Well, maybe I meant SHOWBIZ! movies

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 10:50 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

You know, like Birdman and The Artist and such, which operate and are presented very differently, but ultimately flatter the pretensions of the industry.

In terms of mediocre musicals, well, I haven't seen it (and virtually no one else has either), but if Hamilton's soundtrack is any indication ...

I love movies about movies

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 11:27 (2653 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

Who the hell don't?

TOP TEN MOVIES ABOUT MOVIES

The Player
Sunset Boulevard
8 1/2
Cinema Paradiso
The Stunt Man
Hail, Caesar
Ed Wood
L.A. Confidential
The Kid Stays in the Picture
American Movie
Living in Oblivion

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse

by irishted, Friday, January 20, 2017, 01:52 (2652 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Two more from French New Wave

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 20:40 (2652 days ago) @ Jay

Truffaut's Day for Night
Godard's Contempt

Contempt is one of my all-time faves.

Have you ever seen 'Hollywood Shuffle'?

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 13:03 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

the only one of those I've seen is American Movie

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 19, 2017, 12:36 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Do you watch Documentary Now?

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 11:32 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

This season, Bill Hader did an incredible, hour-long parody of the Kid Stays in the Picture.

Or Hugo....

by MattG, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 11:25 (2653 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

...any time the MAGIC OF MOVIEMAKING is the point of the movie, I am distracted by the sound of my eyes rolling.

Plus, the musical framing gives it additional depth

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 09:43 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

At the end you're expecting this big romantic reunion. And you get it! Then the real world takes over, and it's just two people who once knew each other.

So, so good.

And as for the reaction, I've (anecdotally, to be sure) heard from people that are just generally wary of musicals who aren't very interested in seeing the movie. Which is just natural, for the reasons you've listed. But it's so, so much more than a film retelling of a stage musical!

I've seen it 3 times.

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 09:19 (2653 days ago) @ Jay

And the epilogue is a roshambo each and every time.
And while I really am a fan of Anna Kendrick, I might be
trading her in for an Emma Stone.

--
#Team128

I want to take the girls. I think I can take them

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 19, 2017, 09:23 (2653 days ago) @ Chris

They're 4 & 6. I don't think there's anything even borderline in there. I'm hesitant only because I know it will be a constant stream of questions and I will want to enjoy the movie again in all its gloriousness. Maybe I'll wait for the VOD release.