the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

Bourbon

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, December 16, 2016, 18:22

If I were going to BevMo tonight (hypothetically) what kind of bourbon should I buy?

I admit I like whiskey sours but am not usually tuned up for straight hooch. I need a gateway pour.

Tags:
drinks

There is so much awesomeness in this thread

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Saturday, December 17, 2016, 16:37 @ Jay
edited by irishvol, Saturday, December 17, 2016, 16:43

Might be the best TPG thread ever. Lots of my faves already mentioned - Four Roses SB, Elijah Craig are two. Would also mention Wild Turkey Rare Breed and the new Coopers Craft from Brown Forman.

Here is what I would suggest. I did this once and friends still talk about how much they loved it. So now we do it once a year.

Find 6-8 of your friends and family. Have them each select a different bottle from this thread and bring it to your place. Make sure there is a rye or two. Make sure there's other variety (heavily wheated, different ages,etc). Don't spend a ton of money. Then taste it all. Mix some Manhattans. Drink some neat or with a couple rocks.

I had supplied a flight of Four Roses - yellow label, small batch, and single barrel so we could all taste the differences. Plus all the mixers for cocktails.

At the end of the day, everyone can take a half full bottle home. Was awesome.

I did a blind tequila tasting once.

by nedhead, Sunday, December 18, 2016, 04:57 @ irishvol

It was a lot of fun, except that everyone preferred the cheap Cuervo shit. I was supposed to like the good stuff, but even I went for the (fancy) mixto.

People like sugar.

Stay away from the higher ABV bourbons

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Saturday, December 17, 2016, 06:00 @ Jay

(Bakers, Bookers, Wild Turkey) if you are using it for mixers. I'd start with Makers (a bit sweeter and wheated), Buffalo Trace, or Woodford, which are smoother bourbons. I drink Bulleit as my regular bourbon in Manhattan. I like Four Roses Single Barrel or Elijah Craig 12 year neat (both are pretty moderately priced). There are some good suggestions below for more expensive bourbons. My favorites are Willett, Woodford Double Oak, EH Taylor, etc.

Walker Percy agrees

by Flann, Central New Jersey, Saturday, December 17, 2016, 12:26 @ Bryan (IrishCavan)
edited by Flann, Saturday, December 17, 2016, 14:36

If one derives the same pleasure from knocking back 80-proof Bourbon as 100-proof, the formula is both as simple as 2 + 2 = 4 and as incredible as non-Euclidean geometry. Consider. One knocks back five one-ounce shots of 80-proof Early Times or four shots of 100-proof Old Fitzgerald. The alcohol ingestion is the same:
5 X 40% = 2
4 X 50% = 2
Yet, in the case of the Early Times, one has obtained an extra quantum of joy without cost to liver, brain, or gastric mucosa. A bonus, pure and simple, an aesthetic gain as incredible as two parallel lines meeting at infinity.

Rule of Thumb: Always follow Cavan's whiskey advice.

by Slainte Joe, Raleigh, Saturday, December 17, 2016, 08:16 @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

[ No text ]

Yep.

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Saturday, December 17, 2016, 16:44 @ Slainte Joe

[ No text ]

Wheated bourbons tend to be smoother

by Jeff (BGS), A starter home in suburban Tempe, Friday, December 16, 2016, 21:21 @ Jay

Larceny and and Maker’s Mark would be good choices. Although I've been drinking Basil Hayden lately, which is high rye but a great intro to bourbon.

---
At night, the ice weasels come.

Also WL Weller...if you can find it.

by ReginaldVelJohnson @, (FaytlND), Saturday, December 17, 2016, 07:05 @ Jeff (BGS)

The 12 year and Special Reserve are probably some of the best sub $30 bourbons out there. Both very easy to drink, as well.

Problem is that since they use the same mash bill as Pappy, it's become something of the "poor man's" Pappy and is therefore almost impossible to find.

2nd BH but

by terribletr, Friday, December 16, 2016, 21:54 @ Jeff (BGS)

Blantons is damn good too.

Makers 46 as well.

A lot of good 'B' bourbons...

by ndbk32 @, Los Angeles, Friday, December 16, 2016, 23:30 @ terribletr

Bulleit (my standard affordable go-to), Blantons, Basil Hayden's, and one of my faves -- Bookers.

Supposedly, Booker's price will double in January

by Flann, Central New Jersey, Saturday, December 17, 2016, 12:28 @ ndbk32

Booker's is really enjoyable at $40-50/bottle.

by mkmcfrlnd, Saturday, December 17, 2016, 16:07 @ Flann

...at $100 a bottle, I'll gladly send them written instructions on what they can do with it...

With pictures.

Breckenridge is good if you like it a little....

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Friday, December 16, 2016, 20:25 @ Jay

On the sweeter side. Like Wyoming Whiskey also.

Any Weller bottle works. You can actually come close to recreating Pappy with a couple of different Weller varieties.

Good luck finding Weller.

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Saturday, December 17, 2016, 05:49 @ Domer99

I haven't seen the 12 year for a number of years and, now, the Special Reserve is nearly impossible to find (at least in the Atlanta area).

A couple others available at Costco...

by Mobster, Friday, December 16, 2016, 20:10 @ Jay

Breckenridge makes a really drinkable bourbon. Straight Edge is the name of a bourbon from some California distillery - again, very drinkable.

If you are moving from using bourbon as a mixer to drinking straight, maybe try Leopold Brothers. If you want you could get some of their flavored whiskeys which are usually pretty good.

Mine:

by oviedoirish @, Oviedo, Florida, Friday, December 16, 2016, 19:31 @ Jay

Angel's Envy, Knob Creek, Blanton's

Second the Angel's Envy, and add Four Roses Single Barrel

by scriptcomesfirst @, Friday, December 16, 2016, 20:36 @ oviedoirish

And though it is technically an Irish Whiskey, Jameson Casemates (finished in stout beer barrels) is a very smooth drink. It is currently my drink of choice.

I want to try Four Roses

by oviedoirish @, Oviedo, Florida, Friday, December 16, 2016, 21:46 @ scriptcomesfirst

[ No text ]

I am a relative newcomer, and I really enjoy Woodford.

by San Pedro, Friday, December 16, 2016, 19:19 @ Jay
edited by San Pedro, Friday, December 16, 2016, 19:25

It's what I drank when I first started drinking bourbon without a mixer a few years ago, and I've stuck with it ever since.

Not strictly bourbon, but Tin Cup Whiskey

by Mike (bart), Friday, December 16, 2016, 19:06 @ Jay

Is really pretty good for a mid market price

Woodford Reserve

by JD in Portland ⌂, Portland OR, Friday, December 16, 2016, 18:49 @ Jay

Really nice without being crazy expensive.
Or splurge a bit and get Baker's.

Nearly caused a family incident on Thanksgiving...

by mkmcfrlnd, Saturday, December 17, 2016, 11:40 @ JD in Portland

..my younger brother came over and he usually drinks the Buffalo Trace i keep around, so I said fine when he asked if he could have some of the Woodford Reserve.

Several minutes later i see him mix mountain dew with it and I was like "you're about to get punched".. he responded that it was the only way he could drink it.

...i considered cancelling Thanksgiving.

Buffalo Trace or Knob Creek

by OGerry @, Maine wilderness, Friday, December 16, 2016, 18:40 @ Jay

If you're just going to end up mixing it, Wild Turkey 80 is a fine choice.

Of course, if you don't like bourbon, you could always drink Makers.

Makers or Bulleit are good, solid choices.

by irishted, Friday, December 16, 2016, 18:37 @ Jay
edited by irishted, Friday, December 16, 2016, 18:45

Woodford, 1792, or Knob if you want to step up a little.

I was gifted Willett and Barterhouse for my collection.

Of course, Jim Beam or Wild Turkey will get the job done too.

Tullamore Dew

by Greg, the 'Dena, Friday, December 16, 2016, 18:23 @ Jay
edited by Greg, Friday, December 16, 2016, 18:30

I kid. I don't know either, and I'd like to.

Southern guys?

---
#asshat

374353 Postings in 32682 Threads, 204 registered users, 119 users online (4 registered, 115 guests)
Contact