Nyles Morgan: "BK came over to the dark side"

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, September 29, 2016, 11:30 (2737 days ago)

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/nyles-morgan-adapting-to-new-business-on-notre-dame-d...

Mike linebacker Nyles Morgan might be a junior in college now, but when Notre Dame resumed practice on Tuesday, he felt like he was back in a high school classroom when head coach Brian Kelly entered the room of the defensive practice field.

“It’s like the Dean walking in — somebody got into trouble,” said Morgan, the team’s leading tackler with 37 while also recording the lone sack during Notre Dame’s 1-3 start.

Well, yes, somebody did get into trouble. Third-year defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder was expelled from the team on Sunday because of extremely sub-standard performance. Entering Saturday’s game at Syracuse, among 128 FBS teams Notre Dame ranks 111th in pass efficiency defense (154.15 rating), 103rd in total defense (454.0 yards per game), 101st in scoring defense (33.5 points per game) and 96th in run defense (201.0 yards per game).

“It’s different,” said Morgan of Kelly’s involvement. “He kind of came over to the dark side… It’s a new feel but his input is already helpful. He knows what he’s talking about, he’s helped me out personally with certain things, [positioning, leverage] … it’s been really good.”

After Wednesday’s practice, the defense became better accustomed to Kelly’s presence, which on Tuesday was maybe a little more unnerving.

“It was like that at first because he’s always with the offense most of the time,” Morgan said. “It was a different feel, but once he started talking and coaching us up, it was like Coach [Mike] Elston was talking to me or Coach [Keith] Gilmore. The guys really bought into it.”

Morgan said he did talk with VanGorder after the firing but won’t comment on the nature of their discussion. Newly titled defensive coordinator Greg Hudson spent some time with the linebackers in the summer as a defensive analyst on the staff, so Morgan wasn’t completely unfamiliar with him.

“It was a bit surprising,” said Morgan of the firing. “It’s a business, so we’ve really bought into what Coach Hudson has been saying and we have to move forward. We can’t linger in the past. There was disappointment. That was the coach I came in with. It is what it is, so we just have to move forward.

“We’ve been preaching a fresh start. Erase everything that happened before, fresh start. Don’t worry about the past, just the present and the future. Just buy into what Coach Hudson has been saying.”

Is it weird that the starting middle linebacker

by Aaron (Shakespeare), Thursday, September 29, 2016, 22:56 (2737 days ago) @ Jay

expresses some degree of shock when the head coach walks into a defensive meeting?

John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band

by irishted, Thursday, September 29, 2016, 11:56 (2737 days ago) @ Jay

Don't tell me you weren't googling for the answer as well!

Didn't need google

by scriptcomesfirst @, Friday, September 30, 2016, 09:50 (2736 days ago) @ irishted

Make me feel crazy, make me feel so mean.