OT: Favorite songs of the year?

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 05:37 (3053 days ago)

Lord Huron - "Meet Me in the Woods"; could have put the whole album here, honestly.

Grimes - "Flesh without Blood"; the aural equivalent of a teddy bear with a knife in it.

Fast Romantics - "Julia"; makes me smile.

Julien Baker - "Sprained Ankle"; somehow how a 20-year-old college kid.

Tags:
music

I am really digging that Grimes album.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Saturday, December 12, 2015, 04:32 (3051 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes
edited by KGB, Saturday, December 12, 2015, 04:39

Straight-up pop music, but goddam is it just catchy as shit. Her production skills are beyond reproach.

Some others, in no particular order (and acknowledging that "SOB" is the fucking kingslayer and the one song of 2015 that I know I'll still be playing and screaming along to 20 years from now)...

Savages, "The Answer"

Jamie xx, "I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)"

Donnie Trumpet & the Social Experiment, "Sunday Candy"

Metz, "Spit You Out"

Alabama Shakes, "The Greatest"

Big Grams, "Born To Shine"

Hot Chip, "Huarache Lights"

Desaparecedos, "Backsell"

Hudson Mohawke, "Very First Breath"

Courtney Barnett, "Small Poppies"

I put together a spotify playlist with these songs

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Friday, December 11, 2015, 12:44 (3051 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

In case anyone's interested. I think I got all of them (and added a couple more of my favorites).

https://open.spotify.com/user/bshore/playlist/7HgDBYG1oBXpv8KN8FCu1F

awesome

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, December 11, 2015, 12:54 (3051 days ago) @ irishvol

- No text -

nobody mentioned "Wide Open" by Beck/Chemical Bros?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, December 11, 2015, 11:30 (3051 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

Jesus Christ people.

and just for grins, from the same Chem Bros album, featuring not only Q-Tip but Michel Gondry behind the camera:

Here's a couple that haven't been mentioned.

by Slainte Joe @, Raleigh, Friday, December 11, 2015, 11:23 (3051 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

Field Report - Home

"And the body remembers what the mind forgets / Archives every heartbreak and cigarette."

Royal Headache - Need You

You posted the only two I've liked (so far)

by KelleyCook @, Friday, December 11, 2015, 11:33 (3051 days ago) @ Slainte Joe

- No text -

does anybody else like songs like this?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, December 11, 2015, 10:25 (3051 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

My wife does.

by hlewis, Friday, December 11, 2015, 10:29 (3051 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

fully expected such a response

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, December 11, 2015, 10:36 (3051 days ago) @ hlewis

from you neanderfucks.

I'm always late to these things.

by hlewis, Friday, December 11, 2015, 10:16 (3051 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

I've only done one or two posts on WYMA this year, but not because I haven't fallen deeply in love with a dozen or more records. My favorite one might be the new Beach Slang. I saw them at the Cat's Cradle a few months ago and they were on fire:

Beach Slang - Noisy Heaven

Kowloon Walled City is from San Francisco and put out a phenomenal album called "Grievances" in October or November. They get pegged as metal because their earlier stuff was, in fact, metal. But this new one is weirdly, beautifully, something else.

Kowloon Walled City - Daughters and Sons

Best song title of the year is, predictably, from an aggressive hardcore band. This is a disturbing video.

Mercy Ties - You Have the Right to Remain Violent

Icarus Line should go to prison for the crimes against nature they commit upon their amplifiers. If anyone's seedier than Nick Cave, it's Joe Cardamone.

The Icarus Line - El Sereno

Right before we went to see Protomartyr live, I jokingly texted Slainte Joe that if he were living his perfect life, he'd be the beer-swilling, self-doubting Irish poet Joe Casey, who is also Protomartyr's frontman. Slainte Joe took it as a compliment.

Protomartyr - Why Does It Shake?

No love for Thunderbitch?

by OGerry @, Maine wilderness, Friday, December 11, 2015, 06:08 (3051 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

#1 is probably Something Soon by Car Seat Headrest

by JN, Seattle, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:40 (3052 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

but it changes frequently. Really loved a lot of albums this year, so tough to pick a single song from many of them. But here's a few:

Car Seat Headrest - Something Soon

Courtney Barnett - No one really cares if you go to the party

Tame Impala - Let It Happen

Viet Cong - Silhouettes

The Stammer - Last Bus
https://thestammer.bandcamp.com/track/last-bus

Kurt Vile - Wheelhouse

Sufjan Stevens - Eugene

"Waitress" by Hop Along

by fightinamish ⌂ @, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:34 (3052 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

This live version is fire-emoji fire-emoji 100-emoji:

Oh, and everything on the newest Cleavon Stephens album is great as always.

Leon Bridges - "Smooth Sailin'" or Tallest Man on Earth

by ReginaldVelJohnson @, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:27 (3052 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes
edited by ReginaldVelJohnson, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:34

"Timothy"

Other options:
Beck, "Dreams"
Florence+The Machine, "What Kind of Man"
ASTR, "Activate Me"
Lord Huron, "Fool for Love"
Ryan Adams, "Bad Blood"

Not so hot take:
And if I wanted to pick the best "pop" song, it would probably be something off of Carly Rae Jepsen's Emotion which is in my opinion a better pop album than 1989. Total Grammy snub.

Florence + Machine "Ship to Wreck"

by MattG, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:04 (3052 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

It took a while for me to appreciate Florence's new album, but I came around. We're going to Hangout this year, in large part, because she's headlining.

If we're talking pop songs, the list will include "Style" and "Blank Space", as performed by either Taylor Swift or Ryan Adams.

And "Wildest Dreams" as performed by Ryan Adams.

My early pick for "Worst Popular Song of 2015" is "Exes and Ohs" by Elle King.

But back to Cold War Kids "First" - I know it's fashionable to hate on them for writing Black-Keys-style Arena Dad Rock, but I still think this song is really special.

It's a first-person account of the aftermath of a divorce, right? It's a fictional song - Willett is happily married.

But there's a whole lot there - retracing steps and anger at the past, exhilaration and trepidation about the next relationship. Maybe he was able to tap into all that through his parents' divorce. Those lyrics are really, really good.

How am I the lucky one?/I do not deserve/To wait around forever/when you were there first

24 Frames by Isbell

by Buck Mulligan, Martello Tower, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 08:47 (3052 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

Which of course brings to mind this non-2015 DBT's gem

What instrument is Hood playing there?

by Slainte Joe @, Raleigh, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 11:16 (3052 days ago) @ Buck Mulligan

An eight-string, non-bassy acoustic bass?

Kay acoustic 8-string guitar.

by Buck Mulligan, Martello Tower, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 11:21 (3052 days ago) @ Slainte Joe

- No text -

Great song - really reminds me of another.

by MattG, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:06 (3052 days ago) @ Buck Mulligan

I know it's a pretty common chord progression, but every time I hear 24 Frames I have the unmistakable deja vu feeling that it's built on another song.

Pedestrian at Best, as mentioned

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 08:39 (3052 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

Some others in no particular order:

delicious nostalgia

i'll probably hate this song in a year

we're so old that homages to bands from our 10 year college reunion days (The National) are arriving

i would drink damon albarn's bathwater, i think

Speaking of Dawes - forgot "Things Happen"

by MattG, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:11 (3052 days ago) @ Dylan

Dawes is one of my favorite bands. Yes, they are consciously trying to be Topanga Canyon 1974. I love that stuff.

I think that "If I Wanted Someone" holds up as one of the best songs of the last 10 years, and will admit to tearing up at "A Little Bit of Everything" at least once.

For my 40th, my wife planned a surprise party at a friends' house, and then a limo took us all to a ridiculously small open-bar Dawes show at a charity function at FitzGerald's in Berwyn.

I can't believe no one has ever come up with the lyric Things happen. That's all they ever do. before.

But yeah:

I hope that life without a chaperone
is what you'd thought it'd be
I hope your brother's El Camino runs forever.

I hope the world sees the same person
that you always were to me.
And may all your favorite bands stay together.

I've heard that he wrote that for a nephew or niece's graduation. Holy crap that's good.

Never heard of Dawes before today.

by Kevin @, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 10:37 (3052 days ago) @ MattG

The three songs I've now listened to are the best new-to-me music I've heard since I first heard Sturgill Simpson.

if you like that, you should check out

by JN, Seattle, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 11:42 (3052 days ago) @ Kevin

bon iver

Sure, I'll check it out

by Kevin @, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 12:17 (3052 days ago) @ JN

Just like Ron Swanson at the vegan grocery store.

A few for that playlist -

by MattG, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 11:04 (3052 days ago) @ Kevin

"Things Happen"
"From A Window Seat"
"If I Wanted Someone"
"When My Time Comes"
"Most People"
"A Little Bit Of Everything"
"Time Spent In Los Angeles"

It's funny. As much as I like that song

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 11:34 (3052 days ago) @ MattG

They have this Neil Young/Crazy Horse dirge thing going on that leaves me cold. "If I Wanted Someone" is the prime example.

They're pretty blatantly ripping off that sound.

by MattG, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 11:54 (3052 days ago) @ Dylan

Maybe it works better if you aren't actually IN Southern California.

I was at that Fitzgeralds show

by DEM, Chicago, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:47 (3052 days ago) @ MattG

It's perhaps my favorite place in the world to see a show and Dawes was clearly enjoying the venue.

They are just a great, great band.

Fitzgeralds has lost it's fastball in the past few years and their bookings have been uneven at best...downright criminal at worst. Still a great place.

It is the nicest thing you can say to a person, I think

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:20 (3052 days ago) @ MattG

- No text -

Courtney Barnett's "Pedestrian at Best," Josh Ritter's

by HCE, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 07:11 (3052 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

"Young Moses," and Richard Thompson's "Guitar Heroes." And I'm not sure if it counts, since it was recorded in 1968, but the Long Version of "Slim Slow Slider" on the expanded edition of Astral Weeks is pretty incredible. It would've completely changed that album.

I like "Depreston" from that same album

by ndbk32 @, Los Angeles, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 23:53 (3052 days ago) @ HCE

- No text -

Wow. She's like Art Brut wrote Short Skirt Long Jacket

by irishoutsider @, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:11 (3052 days ago) @ HCE

Give me all of that you got.

She's awesome

by JN, Seattle, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:47 (3052 days ago) @ irishoutsider

Not sure anyone looks like they're having more fun playing awesome music. Lucky enough to see her open for Sharon Van Etten here in summer 2014 (before she blew up). Nearly stole the show, but then SVE was amazing, so theft was thwarted.

She's one of the best around at this point.

by Puck52, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:43 (3052 days ago) @ irishoutsider

Our review of her 2015 album:
http://whenyoumotoraway.blogspot.com/2015/03/review-courtney-barnett-sometimes-i-sit.html

Our review of her prior release:
http://whenyoumotoraway.blogspot.com/2013/10/courtney-barnett-double-ep-sea-of-split.html

"Avant Gardener" from the earlier release is an superb song, and the video is great as well.

She's playing Hangout festival this year.

by MattG, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:15 (3052 days ago) @ irishoutsider

It's a ridiculously strong lineup.

If anyone else wants to go to Lower Alabama and watch music on the beach this May, we'll be there.

The Weeknd
Calvin Harris
Florence and the Machine
Alabama Shakes
Ellie Goulding
Lenny Kravitz
Haim
Cage the Elephant
Grimes
Jason Isbell
Walk the Moon
Miike Snow
Leon Bridges
Big Grams
Run the Jewels
Fetty Wap
Courtney Barnett
Silversun Pickups
X Ambassadors
Kurt Vile
Atlas Genius

Agree - thought that lineup was great

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 11:14 (3052 days ago) @ MattG

I'm seriously considering going. Maybe Jason Isbell can invite Run the Jewels to share the stage for a bit.

holy smokes

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:21 (3052 days ago) @ MattG

- No text -

Bad Blood by Ryan Adams

by Albie, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 07:07 (3052 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

Primarily because it irritates the crap out of my 12yo daughter, but she is coming around. She actually asks me to play it when she has a friend in the truck.

So, my 6 year old boy is getting stitches. As the doc

by Grantland, y'allywood, Friday, December 11, 2015, 12:45 (3051 days ago) @ Albie

is wrapping it up this song comes on. My son looks at my wife with a kinda cocked head/puzzled look asking without verbalizing, "isn't this Taylor Swift?" Mommy winks yes. Son looks at doc and says, verbatim, "Dude, you like girl music."

My son is a head banger.

Most of his "1989" tracks are great, imo

by scriptcomesfirst @, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 14:35 (3052 days ago) @ Albie

And count me in on the Dawes love.

I think "Wildest Dreams" is just a massive improvement.

by MattG, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 15:55 (3052 days ago) @ scriptcomesfirst

And it's nothing Taylor does wrong - it's just that that kind of pathos sounds so much better coming from a slightly older person.

Agree

by scriptcomesfirst @, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 19:32 (3052 days ago) @ MattG

- No text -

"S.O.B." Nathaniel Rateliff

by irishted, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 06:56 (3052 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

- No text -

Great, great song.

by PAK, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 09:36 (3052 days ago) @ irishted

- No text -

I somehow missed this song until right now

by HCE, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 08:24 (3052 days ago) @ irishted

Holy crap, these guys are good.

Check out The Tonight Show performance. Awesome.

by irishted, Saturday, December 12, 2015, 05:06 (3051 days ago) @ HCE

Btw, you were right to bring this here back in the summer.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Saturday, December 12, 2015, 05:41 (3051 days ago) @ irishted

Molte grazie.

I think this one's my favorite, too

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 08:16 (3052 days ago) @ irishted

It's a great song. I think "Pedestrian at Best" by Courtney Barnett and "First" by Cold War Kids are great tracks well and worth mentioning.

As for stuff not already mentioned, I love Foals' "What Went Down".

Yep

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 07:52 (3052 days ago) @ irishted

- No text -

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

wholehearted agreement

by Captains Corner @, Empty nest in a Dallas high rise, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 07:29 (3052 days ago) @ irishted

Give me a drink...

Agree with this. When I first heard it,

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 07:26 (3052 days ago) @ irishted
edited by Bryan (IrishCavan), Thursday, December 10, 2015, 07:30

I assumed it was a Blood, Sweat, and Tears song I somehow missed.

Charlatans, "So Oh"

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 06:50 (3052 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

- No text -

Cold War Kids "First", Kurt Vile "Pretty Pimpin"

by MattG, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 06:24 (3052 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

- No text -

Pretty Pimpin is great too

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 08:06 (3052 days ago) @ MattG

I guess one knows one's kids are getting older when SOB and Pretty Pimpin come on and one doesn't change the channel because, hey, what the hell.

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

I'll second "First." Also Borns "Electric Love"

by Mike (Embrey), Mountain Holler, Thursday, December 10, 2015, 08:03 (3052 days ago) @ MattG

- No text -

--
2013 Survivor Pool Champion
2014 Survivor Pool Failure