what's your enjoyment level of this season been so far?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:08 (3083 days ago)
edited by Jay, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:37

We're sitting here 8-1, poised for the playoffs. I have to admit with the early season injuries and transfers that I was bracing for a challenging season. There have been some stretches of poor play and moments of nailbiting terror, but I think on the whole this season has been really entertaining and surprising.

I'm just thrilled for this team. Showtime probably has something to do with it too, just being able to see what's happening on the ground as they keep moving forward, watching new talent and personalities emerging, and seeing guys keep stepping up. On the enjoyment scale of 1-sheer horror to 10-maximum bliss, I've got to give this thing a rocky, rollickin', freewheelin' 8.

Tags:
big picture

a big part of it for me

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 09:46 (3082 days ago) @ Jay

Is that this is something that happened by design, rather than through inheritance or fortune. The back half of last season looks like the aberration not the other way around.

8 or 9

by Geoff, Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 04:17 (3083 days ago) @ Jay

Given all the injuries, the team is sitting at 8-1 and will probably be ranked #5 by the committee.

I would not have believed this would have been possible following the injury to MZ.

+1 (vote, not points)

by Mark, O Town, Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 04:51 (3083 days ago) @ Geoff

- No text -

--
"2020 ... Let's win it all ..."

To quote a movie regarded as a cultural touchstone

by ReginaldVelJohnson @, Monday, November 09, 2015, 19:24 (3083 days ago) @ Jay

Allow me to go FDS for a moment here...

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Monday, November 09, 2015, 18:51 (3083 days ago) @ Jay

This addresses your question indirectly, since it has a large part in defining my enjoyment level of this season.

As you so accurately note, we sit at 8-1.

This is only the fifth time since 1994 (along with 2012, 2006, 2002, and 1998) that we had zero or one losses this late in the season - a bar that we had passed in the 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, and 1993 seasons (holy crap). Kelly is the first Notre Dame coach since Holtz to do this well this late in the season at least twice.

Should we somehow find a way to get past Wake Forest and Boston College, this will be only the fourth time since 1994 that we've made it to 10-1 or better through 11 games (2012, 2006, and 2002). We did that in 1988, 1989, and 1993, and almost 1992 (9-1-1).

If we do that AND we beat Stanford, it'll be just the second time since 1994 that we've logged at least 11 wins in the regular season. Kelly obviously would own both of those seasons. We did that in 1988, 1989, and 1993.

And if you really want to get someone's knickers in a bunch... If we make it to ten wins this year, Kelly will join Holtz (5), Parseghian (3), and Rockne (3) as the only Notre Dame coaches to post multiple ten-win seasons for the Irish. Leahy and Devine each had one, if you're wondering, just like Willingham and Weis. Of course the number of games played in a season helps, but still.

To be more direct, I give it an 8.9. Had we beaten Clemson, that would be a 9.5. Cadillac problems and all that.

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Monday, November 09, 2015, 18:17 (3083 days ago) @ Jay
edited by Bryan (IrishCavan), Monday, November 09, 2015, 18:23

It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be predicting ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your expectations. Where can you go from there? Where?

Truthfully, I've only seen 3 games this year due to other obligations. But I'm pretty happy with the situation right now.

How could I possibly know that?

by IrishGuard, Monday, November 09, 2015, 17:38 (3083 days ago) @ Jay

On a scale of 1-10, I give it 1000 points

by professor @, South Bend, IN, Monday, November 09, 2015, 17:37 (3083 days ago) @ Jay

Especially after the soul-sucking shitshow that was 2014, I have never had such fun during a football season.

2014? ... 2014? ..... Ill give you 2014!

by Mark, O Town, Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 04:55 (3083 days ago) @ professor

This is all I can remember from 2014 ...

--
"2020 ... Let's win it all ..."

That game alone was almost worth the second half meltdown

by Coach Gillespie @, Omaha, Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 08:25 (3083 days ago) @ Mark

- No text -

Yep. That and Koyack in the rain.

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 06:11 (3083 days ago) @ Mark

- No text -

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

I'm at a 9.5 so far

by Mike (bart), Monday, November 09, 2015, 17:20 (3083 days ago) @ Jay

let's look at what we've seen:

- a historical humiliation of a Top 5 all-time program that headlined the season's opening night

- an all-time legendary ND comeback piloted by a greenhorn unknown off the bench

- a total dismantling of a favored "juggernaut" in ND stadium

- generic laugher

- close road loss to current #1. It didn't feel like it at the time but this game will take on mythical dimensions if one or both teams end up in the playoffs

- thorough beating of a damn good Navy team - one time we're finally getting our due for beating these guys

- convincing, exciting victory vs. a loaded USC team

- well-played, prime-time win in Temple's most hyped game of all time

- Sorely, sorely overdue throttling of those fuckers from Pitt

On top of that, the admiration you have to feel to the coaches and players for the injuries overcome is exhilarating. We've found an All-American caliber QB and RB in unexpected places,we've played exciting football, we've had some close games but won most games comfortably, etc.

We just need to finish the job here and Kelly will have ND's two best seasons in the last 25 years, and two of the best 10 seasons in the past 40 years

Also, as Buck said, it's been a great year for college football:

- Nebraska losing 3 games on the last play early on

- BYU winning three games on the last play early on

- the Michigan vs. MSU finish

- the FSU vs. GT finish

- the Duke vs. Miami finish

- the MSU vs. Nebraska finish

- the Arkansas vs. Mississippi finish

- Leonard Fournette doing superhuman things

- Corey Coleman destroying worlds

- a bunch of other guys (Derrick Henry, Will Fuller, Christian McCaffery, et al.) having entertaining as hell seasons

- the Fall of Oregon

it's a different year than 2012 for sure. A lot less "pinch me," but a lot more "hell fuck yeah!"

I GIVE IT A THREE JI

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Monday, November 09, 2015, 16:59 (3083 days ago) @ Jay

JIM. BVG IS A FREAKIN DISASTER JOE SCHMIDT MAKES MY PROSTATE SAD WE ONLY HAVE TWO HEALTHY RUNNING BACKS LEFT BC KELLY AND HIS BIG HONKIN EGO FAILED TO ACCOUNT FOR LOSING THREE OTHERS RECRUITING IS IN THE TOILET AS USUAL AND SHITBRICK AND ALL THE 8 PM STARTS ARE EFFING MY DINNER RESERVATION GAME IN THE A. ONLY POSITIVES ARE PROSISE WHO COULD HAVE BEEN A NICE FOURTH-STRINGER FOR HOLTZ AND THAT SPIRITED YOUNG MAN KELLY TRIED TO KILL DEAD ON THE SIDELINE LAST WEEK WHO MAY GIVE US FOR-CAUSE REASON TO FIRE HIM ASSUMING HE DOESNT BOLT FOR THE NFL LIKE HES BEEN DYING TO DO SINCE HE FIRST BLESSED US WITH HIS FAT CHICKEN-FRIED EGO. THREE OUT OF ONE HUNDERD, JIM.

Tags:
potpourri

THROUGHOUT

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, November 09, 2015, 17:42 (3083 days ago) @ KGB

- No text -

Mostly agree

by Mike (bart), Monday, November 09, 2015, 17:07 (3083 days ago) @ KGB

The season has been mostly pathetic, which is attributable to Kelly in part or whole, further, his criminal conduct is a black mark on the University.

Haven't visited wingnut-land in years

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Monday, November 09, 2015, 17:56 (3083 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

Is this really the line that the "people who count" are taking to explain away their most recent round of failed predictions?

pretty much

by Costa Rican @, the central american Jungle!, Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 07:36 (3083 days ago) @ hobbs

I am in my information high on ND, so I visit different places just to read something on ND, and yes I have gone onto the dark side a couple of times and that continues to be a resident view over there.

Seriously, though, I'm at approx 8.27 at the moment.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Monday, November 09, 2015, 17:28 (3083 days ago) @ Mike (bart)
edited by KGB, Monday, November 09, 2015, 17:36

And not for nothing, but it should be noted that OSU's defense at this point last season was a work in progress not unlike ours. They were giving up just shy of 23 ppg -- almost exactly where we are now -- going into the B1G championship when they shut out Wisconsin. The cranks will say that they didn't have holes like ours, but the cranks weren't paying any fucking attention to Ohio State until about that time. Their defense had plenty of talent but was leaky, inconsistent and unreliable, and there was no strong indication that they would actually hold up over a couple of playoff games if it came to that.

Oh fuck

by terribletr, Monday, November 09, 2015, 17:50 (3083 days ago) @ KGB

Petersen is getting rational and optimistic in his own inimitable cranky style.

Now we are fucked.

I'm with you. 2012 was a 9+, and so far this is an 8.75

by Jack @, Monday, November 09, 2015, 16:56 (3083 days ago) @ Jay

It would have been over 9 had we beaten Clemson. And beating Stanford would get it over 9.

10 means a national championship.

9+.

by Buck Mulligan, Martello Tower, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:43 (3083 days ago) @ Jay

I don't fret over losses anymore -- Chaz Weis broke me from really caring -- but I really like this team.

There have also been a lot of fun non-ND games and stories, too.

I'm with you at an 8 or 9.

by PAK, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:33 (3083 days ago) @ Jay

The offense has been a joy to watch, like I discussed below, especially when you frame it with the gut punch of Zaire's injury in week 2. The defense hasn't been as bad as we think and they've been ready when the game is on hte line. Special teams has been up and down with the kickers, but having a punt returner who feels like he could break one at any time is pretty nice.

In addition to all that, there really haven't been any long stretches of frustrating play outside of the Virginia game (which was redeemed by the Kizer bomb).

-We only played BAD against Clemson for about 6 minutes; all credit to them for taking advantage but we almost pulled out the win despite ourselves.
-USC mounted a furious charge but our guys got up off the ground and calmly dispatched a VERY talented team.
-Navy never quite went away but I never felt like we were in danger of losing this game.
-Temple gave us a game but I didn't watch any of it so I didn't experience the angst in real time. I saw the 1st half on replay and it seemed like early Navy: closer than it should have been but didn't feel like we were in danger

This is in sharp contrast to 2012 where I felt like I had run a marathon after every game.

Measuring enjoyment

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:19 (3083 days ago) @ Jay
edited by Greg, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:23

To fully understand the enjoyment of a season, we must first be fluent with its offense, defense and special teams, then ask two questions: 1) How artfully have the three facets of the game been rendered and 2) How important is their objective, which is to say how close is the team to winning a championship? Question 1 rates the team's perfection; question 2 rates its importance. And once these questions have been answered, determining the enjoyment of the season becomes a relatively simple matter.

If the team's score for perfection is plotted on the horizontal of a graph and the team's importance is plotted on the vertical, then calculating the total area of the season yields the measure of its greatness.

An effort by Weis might score high on the horizontal but less than average on the vertical. A Holtzian team, on the other hand, would score high both horizontally and vertically, yielding a massive total area, thereby revealing the season to be truly great.

I give this season a 7 to date; throttle the next two opponents, and I'd raise it to an 8; a win over Stanford would elevate it to a 9.

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

Superb

by APND02 ⌂ @, Winston-Salem, NC, Monday, November 09, 2015, 20:52 (3083 days ago) @ Greg

Congratulations, Mr. Weis. You have the first season to ever

by Jason93 @, Raining debris all over Europe, Monday, November 09, 2015, 19:28 (3083 days ago) @ Greg

have a negative score on the Pritchard scale.

--
I think the children like it when I "get down" verbally.

you forgot a major consideration

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:20 (3083 days ago) @ Greg

How does the enjoyment of the team impact enjoyment of dinner reservations at Chicago's finest steakhouses?

The noon start this past week surely allowed...

by mkmcfrlnd, NEPA, Monday, November 09, 2015, 16:45 (3083 days ago) @ HumanRobot

...prime dinnertime seating at Primante Brothers and plenty of time to quaff some Iron City.

Showtime puts it at a 10 for me

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:18 (3083 days ago) @ Jay

The face of the team is Kizer and he's an easy player to like -- he's intelligent, humble, and supremely talented -- which makes this season all the more enjoyable. Part of the fun is the discovery aspect -- a complete unknown blossoming into a star before our very eyes. Showtime has given us a lot of insight into the workings and personality of the team as a whole and the individual players. Somebody else suggested that Showtime has been one great commercial dispelling myth after myth about ND. They'll be able to point to this series for a long, long time.

It also helps that the program at large finally and truly feels like it's hitting its stride.

Is anyone besides ND fans watching the Showtime series?

by Rob (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, Monday, November 09, 2015, 16:03 (3083 days ago) @ HumanRobot

I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer....simply wondering. I sure hope recruits are watching it and I'm sure a few are, but I'm not sure it's picked up nationally like it has picked up in ND related circles.

I am guessing ND is sending it on DVD

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, November 09, 2015, 16:05 (3083 days ago) @ Rob (Rakes of Mallow)

- No text -

Prosise and Kizer have been revelations

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:50 (3083 days ago) @ HumanRobot

Tillery, too, especially via the Odd Couple routine with Sheldon.

This is where I am as well

by scriptcomesfirst @, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:46 (3083 days ago) @ HumanRobot

- No text -

When you consider that the only way it could be better

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:16 (3083 days ago) @ Jay

is if we were undefeated with a road win over the now-#1 team in the country, you'd have to, at least, mark it eight, dude. And that's without considering the injuries on offense.

If we go 11-1, is there any way Kelly is not worthy of Coach of the Year honors?

I see McElwain as his main competition right now

by BPH, San Diego, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:36 (3083 days ago) @ Dylan

I expected Florida to be closer to .500 than their current top-10 status.

And dat boy, of course

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:37 (3083 days ago) @ BPH

- No text -

as long as they keep winning, I think he's got it

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:43 (3083 days ago) @ Dylan
edited by Jay, Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 04:57

They were actually ranked below us in the preseason.

From a pure "coaching job" standpoint I don't think anybody has had to deal with the attrition ND has and still maintained a shot at the playoffs this late in the season. Stidham has stepped in for Seth Russell and looks pretty good. But outside of Baylor I'm struggling to think of any contenders that sustained significant losses, let alone their 1st and 2nd QBs, their 1st, 2nd (and now 3rd) RB, starting TE, starting nose, and various other hits to the depth chart and are still alive. Certainly not Clemson.

TCU probably lost more starters than ND

by Pat, in the cloud, Monday, November 09, 2015, 16:16 (3083 days ago) @ Jay

MSU has been pretty banged up too.

But they both finally got bit after coming close for a number of weeks.

He's good.

by Buck Mulligan, Martello Tower, Monday, November 09, 2015, 15:42 (3083 days ago) @ Dylan

College football is better for having him.