the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

front 7 recruiting update w/Tuitt commit

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 08:50
edited by Jay, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 09:05

Thought I would keep tabs on this. Here's the original thread (with links to other original threads inside. Maybe I should call this link the New Original?)

http://www.bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?id=24447

Anyway, with Tuitt in the fold, and assuming everybody sticks, we're up to 8 guys in the front 7 for this class. (I know some may be ultimately slated for offense, but I think we can count them all as front 7 "prospects" at this moment.)

DE Carrico
DE Councell
DE Lynch
DE Rabasa
DE Springmann
DE Tuitt
LB Burton
LB Grace

According to our previous research, the count for "top" programs to land is around 7 per year, so at 8, we're right there in terms of count.

Tags:
front7

A small nit

by BPH, San Diego, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 11:04 @ Jay

I think Rabasa and Councell will start out as OLBs in our defense.

yep

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 11:08 @ BPH

I was just supplying their Rivals listing.

Are there others on here who have positional flexibility? Anybody a possible NG prospect?

I don't think any currently have the size for NG

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 11:18 @ Jay

I think the staff decided to pass on a NG in this class, given they landed Nix last year.

Do you think they actually passed on a NG?

by Mike (Embrey), Mountain Holler, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 11:48 @ HumanRobot

I realize in a 34 you only have one on the field at a time, but I think you'd want to recruit at least one legit NG every year, and I don't think it'd hurt to find another DL that could slide over to that spot if necessary. It's such an important role.

Most of the things I read about Tuitt suggest he's an SDE (Rivals even lists him as such) and he could grow into a DT at the next level, but I think he's much too tall to play NG. Of course in a 34 the DE's are both basically SDE's or borderline DT's from a 43.

I'm not sure they should have, but it appears they did

by BPH, San Diego, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 12:15 @ Mike (Embrey)

No one on the offer list fits the profile of a NG (edit: forgot Bennett, good catch, Jay). Nix is obviously the future at the position, and the coaches must think that players like Stockton and Newman can be serviceable reserves.

I found just one offer to a potential NG on Rivals this year

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 12:08 @ Mike (Embrey)

We've got 22 offers out there to potential defensive linemen (DEs or DTs, according to Rivals).

21 are DEs, all in the 6-3 to 6-6, 220-260 range.

Just 1 is listed as a DT: 6-3, 275 Michael Bennett (committed to OSU).

Springmann and Carrico

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 09:08 @ Jay

may be moving to OL. Carrico's playing there all year this year for Dublin Coffman. A move by either of them would facilitate space for Ray Drew, Ishaq Williams, Troy Niklas or Christian French (not that we'd ever turn down Drew, Williams or Niklas).

Love where we are right now though in terms of front 7 recruiting.

hence the disclaimer

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 09:13 @ MHB (Rakes of Mallow)

[ No text ]

They may move, but that's not the plan

by KA123 @, Manhattan Beach, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 09:51 @ Jay
edited by KA123, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 10:00

Spoke w/Elston and Chuck Martin about both of those two this summer, and they plan on putting both of them at DE. Elston seemed pretty high on Springmann.

I know they are still chasing hard after Ray Drew -- who sent Elston a text that said "God had a plan" for him in picking a college. (Elston shot him back a message that said -- I think it's in South Bend.)

Those two are some serious recruiters...

May I be a bit hypersensitive here ...

by Savage, Around Ye Olde Colonial College, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 14:42 @ KA123

You've just described three separate recruiting violations by our staff, or at least the words you used seem to indicate they made violations.

I don't doubt that when people were talking to the coaches, they noted that we're bringing in lots of bodies on the DL. It might have even been in conjunction with a prompt about certain players. However they're not actually allowed to discuss individual players and their plans for them with the public (much less the media) until LOIs are signed. Your implication -- though doubtlessly correct in terms of what they were getting across -- that they discussed certain recruits portrays them as committing a violation.

I don't doubt that Drew sent the coaches a txt, which is totally fine. And I'm pretty sure that what happened was that the coach then opened his PDA up and sent an email back -- which he just so happened to know that Drew would be able to get on his phone. But sending recruits text messages is banned by the NCAA.

I love this post, but could you please rephrase it? Thanks!

Also Drew is tight with Tuitt

by scriptcomesfirst @, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 11:50 @ KA123

So hopefully, God's plan is for Drew to join his friend at ND.

I'm just speculating...

by BPH, San Diego, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 11:07 @ KA123

but that plan may have changed in the wake of commitments from Lynch and Tuitt. Last I heard, Carrico was supposed to shift to OT this season, which would be a pretty strong indicator of his college position.

That Elston quote is awesome

by Denver95, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 10:39 @ KA123

[ No text ]

good info

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, September 23, 2010, 09:54 @ KA123

[ No text ]

374450 Postings in 32693 Threads, 204 registered users, 126 users online (4 registered, 122 guests)
Contact