the MLB "franchise four"

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 22:09 (3202 days ago)
edited by Jay, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 22:13

Baseball released a sort of Mount Rushmore for each franchise, the four greatest players in franchise history. I think this was done by fan voting, but I'm not sure.

I think St. Louis got 3 out of 4 correct. I would swap in Ozzie Smith for Lou Brock. Also might make room for Albert, but it's tough to bump Gibson or Hornsby.

Other quibbles?

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/136694204/greatest-living-players-franchise-fours-named

Angels
Vladimir Guerrero
Nolan Ryan
Tim Salmon
Mike Trout

Astros
Jeff Bagwell
Lance Berkman
Craig Biggio
Nolan Ryan

Athletics
Dennis Eckersley
Jimmie Foxx
Rickey Henderson
Reggie Jackson

Blue Jays
Roberto Alomar
Joe Carter
Carlos Delgado
Roy Halladay

Braves
Hank Aaron
Chipper Jones
Greg Maddux
Warren Spahn

Brewers
Cecil Cooper
Rollie Fingers
Paul Molitor
Robin Yount

Cardinals
Lou Brock
Bob Gibson
Rogers Hornsby
Stan Musial

Cubs
Ernie Banks
Ryne Sandberg
Ron Santo
Billy Williams

D-backs
Paul Goldschmidt
Luis Gonzalez
Randy Johnson
Curt Schilling

Dodgers
Don Drysdale
Sandy Koufax
Jackie Robinson
Duke Snider

Giants
Barry Bonds
Willie Mays
Willie McCovey
Buster Posey

Indians
Bob Feller
Tris Speaker
Jim Thome
Omar Vizquel

Mariners
Ken Griffey Jr.
Felix Hernandez
Edgar Martinez
Ichiro Suzuki

Marlins
Jeff Conine
Mike Lowell
Gary Sheffield
Giancarlo Stanton

Mets
Keith Hernandez
Mike Piazza
Tom Seaver
David Wright

Nationals/Expos
Gary Carter
Andre Dawson
Vladimir Guerrero
Tim Raines

Orioles
Jim Palmer
Cal Ripken Jr.
Brooks Robinson
Frank Robinson

Padres
Tony Gwynn
Trevor Hoffman
Randy Jones
Dave Winfield

Phillies
Richie Ashburn
Steve Carlton
Robin Roberts
Mike Schmidt

Pirates
Roberto Clemente
Bill Mazeroski
Willie Stargell
Honus Wagner

Rangers
Adrian Beltre
Ivan Rodriguez
Nolan Ryan
Michael Young

Rays
Evan Longoria
David Price
James Shields
Ben Zobrist

Red Sox
Pedro Martinez
David Ortiz
Ted Williams
Carl Yastrzemski

Reds
Johnny Bench
Barry Larkin
Joe Morgan
Pete Rose

Rockies
Andres Galarraga
Todd Helton
Troy Tulowitzki
Larry Walker

Royals
George Brett
Dan Quisenberry
Bret Saberhagen
Frank White

Tigers
Miguel Cabrera
Ty Cobb
Hank Greenberg
Al Kaline

Twins
Rod Carew
Harmon Killebrew
Tony Oliva
Kirby Puckett

White Sox
Harold Baines
Paul Konerko
Minnie Minoso
Frank Thomas

Yankees
Joe DiMaggio
Lou Gehrig
Mickey Mantle
Babe Ruth

Tags:
baseball

The Cubs suck.

by nedhead, Friday, July 17, 2015, 14:08 (3199 days ago) @ Jay

Their list is pretty pathetic relative to everyone else. What's worse would be suggestions for replacement - the racist Cap Anson or Sammy Sosa.

Some love to Three Finger Brown would've been nice, though

The Hawk, baby

by IrishGuard, Friday, July 17, 2015, 15:02 (3199 days ago) @ nedhead

I recognize he's not among the elite of the elite of MLB elite, but he is a HOF'er and the only player to earn an MVP on a last place team. And that happened to be the summer that I was 7 and watched almost every single inning of every Cubs game. And he's my favorite player of all time.

God bless you, Andre Dawson. May your jheri curl ever wave.

"When I hit the ball over the fence

by nedhead, Friday, July 17, 2015, 16:03 (3199 days ago) @ IrishGuard

at Wrigley Field, I hit the ball over a Tru Link Fence. For hundreds of styles and" I forget the rest. Not on youtube.

But he only played 6 years with the Cubs. For a franchise with 140 years of history, that's not too compelling.

Pirates also at least 3 out of 4

by CW (Rakes) @, Harlan County, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 11:52 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

Maz is the best and Game Seven, etc., but you can make similar cases for Kiner, Waner, Parker, Vaughan, Groat, Bonds. I imagine by the time his tenure in Pittsburgh ends, Cutch is a no-brainer. But really, as long as they have Clemente and Honus (the greatest shortstop in history, full stop), it's hard to go wrong.

On my ballot for Braves I would have put in

by Grantland, y'allywood, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 11:32 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

Dale Murphy (just cause)
Knucksy
Eddie Mathews.

Nats and Expos have no business being lumped together.

by NDTerp, I am not Jay. I never have been Jay., Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 10:00 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Why not? It's the same team

by Jack @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 23:18 (3201 days ago) @ NDTerp
edited by Jack, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 23:25

You can't leave out teams just because they moved.

So Walter Johnson and his 417 wins - all with the Washington Senators - shouldn't be considered because the Senators are now the Minnesota Twins? George Sisler shouldn't be considered because the St. Louis Browns are now the Baltimore Orioles?

Why is that any different from the Dodgers, Giants and A's moving west? Because they kept their original names? Ditto the Braves who have moved twice? "Sorry, Eddie Mathews, you can't be one of the Braves. You only played one year in Atlanta."

Unless they put the records in a vault like they did for the Cleveland Browns when they skipped town to Baltimore, those are just teams that moved. They're still the same teams.

I'd rather combine both Senators teams with the Nats.

by MattG, Thursday, July 16, 2015, 08:21 (3200 days ago) @ Jack

And there's a decent chance that the Rays are going to become the Expos in the next 5 or so years.

At which point the Nationals are going to have to give up their grip on Expos history. Fortunately, that does not exist so we don't have a problem.

The Expos wouldn't have a Rushmore at the 2015 all-star game, because they aren't currently fielding a team. I suppose that if you want Raines and Hawk on the field, go ahead and have a separate vote by Montreal fans.

KGB - I think you can add the Giants to the Dodgers as "teams that maintain a connection to their pre-move existence."

And *maybe* the Braves, but that's almost entirely b/c of Hank Aaron.

Yeah, Giants are sort of there, too.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Thursday, July 16, 2015, 10:20 (3200 days ago) @ MattG

The fact that they moved west (basically) together and still maintain a heated rivalry at least preserves some degree of a connection with their past lives.

What about the St. Louis Browns becoming the Orioles?

by Ken Fowler, Thursday, July 16, 2015, 08:40 (3200 days ago) @ MattG

(Obviously, they were the Milwaukee Brewers before that.)

Sorry, I disagree with all of this.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Thursday, July 16, 2015, 07:34 (3200 days ago) @ Jack
edited by KGB, Thursday, July 16, 2015, 07:43

Do you think that Oakland A's fans somehow relate to the old Philadelphia teams? I suspect that 99.9% of them do not. Culturally speaking, there is little carryover from one to the next, particularly when the team name and mascot changes. Do you think that there are actually Twins fans who say, "Geez, that Walter Johnson sure was a great pitcher for our team back in the day"? Again, I suspect that they do not.

The only possible exception I see are the Dodgers, because the O'Malley family continued to own and operate the team for many years after the move and did so in much the same way as they did in Brooklyn. Also, there were some great Brooklyn players who continued to excel after the team transitioned to LA, which did something to bridge the gap between the two eras. Even still, my father grew up in the shadow of Ebbets Field in Brooklyn and spent his youth dedicated to the team, and the whole lot of them might as well have been swallowed up into the ground the day they packed up and moved west. He'd sooner root for the German World Cup soccer team now than root for the LA Dodgers (when he utters the name, he'll always put the accent on the 'LA' part and with quite the sarcastic flourish), and the man detests soccer and Germans. I imagine there's very little carryover among Dodger fans between the LA and Brooklyn editions.

Nats have no business being there at all.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 10:29 (3201 days ago) @ NDTerp

No offense intended, but I think you need at the bare minimum a full generation (25+ years) as an operational MLB entity to come up with even a short list that doesn't look a bit silly or forced. For that reason, I'd similarly exclude the Marlins, Rockies, Rays, etc, and spare them the embarrassment of their sundry Conines and Bichettes.

Agreed, but combined with the Expos, the Nats are a

by Jack @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 23:26 (3201 days ago) @ KGB
edited by Jack, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 23:36

46 year entity. Take them out, and you have to remove the Royals, Padres and Brewers, too. And, come to think of it, the Blue Jays and Mariners as well.

But they're not really combined at all.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Thursday, July 16, 2015, 07:24 (3200 days ago) @ Jack

IMO, they're entirely separate entities with no meaningful commonality other than transactional MLB bullshit. The Expos had 35 years of history, so they can have their Rushmore if they want one. The Nats have nothing to do with any of that. It's not like Washington reflects fondly on Jeff Reardon or has some Ellis Valentine bobblehead night cooked up for Labor Day weekend. Rolling them together as if they're one entity just looks dumb.

Some early players who could be on there.

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:35 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

Christy Mattewson, Carl Hubbell, Bill Terry, or Mel Ott --- Giants
Jimmy Foxx, Lefty Grove, or Eddie Plank -- A's
Joe Jackson -- White Sox
Charlie Gehringer and Harry Hielmann --- Tigers
Eddie Matthews -- Braves

See my post below. Joe Jackson played longer and better for

by Jack @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 23:14 (3201 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

the Cleveland Indians.

Longer?

by MattG, Thursday, July 16, 2015, 08:34 (3200 days ago) @ Jack
edited by MattG, Thursday, July 16, 2015, 11:22

Not really.

4 full seasons as an Indian. Traded in the 5th year, split season.

Then 5 full seasons as a White Sox (spent a lot of time on the "DL" with the war in 1918 and only played 17 games) - and obviously, it would have been more if he hadn't been banned.

He played something like 30 more games for Cleveland, but he was on the White Sox for a longer time.

He was worth more total WAR for CLE, mostly b/c of his 2 best seasons at age 23-24. His age 25 season in Cleveland was tied with his first CWS season for 3rd best, and his next next 4 best seasons were with the White Sox.

Eddie Collins is pretty egregious

by JRT, Island of Misfit Toys, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:09 (3201 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

Should be on two (As and White Sox).

I thought about Collins but wasn't sure where to put him.

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 13:12 (3201 days ago) @ JRT

- No text -

Foxx made it.

by Mike (Embrey), Mountain Holler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 10:03 (3201 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

Agree with your lists.

Grove should be on the A's over Eck or Jackson, at least in terms of ability, but there's some recency bias there.

Mathewson should be on the Giants over Posey (or even McCovey). Ott was better than both of them too.

--
2013 Survivor Pool Champion
2014 Survivor Pool Failure

Nolan Ryan on three different teams

by Busco21, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:48 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Just 2 (Rangers/Astros)

by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:57 (3201 days ago) @ Busco21

- No text -

He is listed under the Angels.

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:01 (3201 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

- No text -

Speaking of the Angels, I think Garrett Anderson over Vlad

by Mike (Embrey), Mountain Holler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:04 (3201 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

Guerrero was a certainly a better baseball player, but I associate him at least as much with Montreal as I do with the Angels. Garrett Anderson, along with Salmon, was the face of that franchise for a very long time. Then again, I'm not an Angels fan and I presume it's mostly fans of the team in question that did the voting, so what do I know?

Nice to see Salmon and Trout together.

--

No Rod Carew?

by nedhead, Friday, July 17, 2015, 14:41 (3199 days ago) @ Mike (Embrey)

- No text -

You're right. My ability to use CTRL+F is poor.

by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:07 (3201 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

- No text -

The Mets and Rangers selections make no sense.

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:54 (3201 days ago) @ Busco21

He won more than 10 games 1 time with the Mets and was 17-25 his last 2 seasons. He won 53 games there. He won 51 games with the Rangers. Granted, W/L doesn't tell you everything, but he simply wasn't with either team long enough to be one of their all-time greats. I have always thought Ryan was the most overrated pitcher of his generation, simply because he was so inconsistent.

For the Rangers

by NDTex ⌂ @, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 10:01 (3201 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

Nolan reached several milestones while with the club: No hitters 6 & 7, 5000th strikeout, and 300th win.

Add that to the fact that he was one of the few lone bright spots of a pretty terrible team and he "came home" to Texas to end his career, and you end up with one of the most beloved guys in Rangers history.

In fact, the whole Rangers list is an exercise in "voting with your heart". The most notable is Adrian Beltre getting a nod over Juan Gonzalez, a two-time MVP winner with the club. However, Juando's relationship with Texas and its fans has never been great, so the guy isn't well liked to win voting things like this.

--
Extra Life | Twitch | Twitter |

Beltre and Andrus should be in as a duo.

by Mike (Embrey), Mountain Holler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 16:02 (3201 days ago) @ NDTex

[image]

--

I love those two

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 17:05 (3201 days ago) @ Mike (Embrey)

They need to have some sort of show whenever they hang it up.

You left out the best part:

by nedhead, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 13:15 (3201 days ago) @ NDTex

That plus

by NDTex ⌂ @, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 14:00 (3201 days ago) @ nedhead

This image after a Bo Jackson line drive made him beyond an epic legend:

[image]

--

He's not on the Mets (Seaver, Piazza, Wright, Hernandez)

by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:57 (3201 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

- No text -

I love David Wright

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 20:07 (3201 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

but he has no business being in that list. I'd take Carter, Gooden, or Strawberry over him for sure; maybe Cone, although he really hit his peak post-Mets. Hell, you could make an argument that Beltran should rank ahead of Wright. Seaver and Piazza are no-brainers and Hernandez is as close as it gets too, no quibble there.

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

Can't agree with you there

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 22:09 (3201 days ago) @ Brendan

Carter played 5 seasons with the Mets. Really closer to 4.5 - in his last season he only appeared in 50 games. He had a great year in '85 and somehow finished 3rd in the MVP in '86 with a .255/.337/.439 line. Guess the pickings were pretty slim in in the NL. After that he wasn't even a league-average player.

We'll always have '85 with the Doctor, but after '86 there were only flashes of the dominance he showed in the early years. He had a few more good seasons, but by ERA+ he was merely a very good pitcher (relative to his park and the rest of the league) rather than a dominating one.

Straw probably has the best case, but Wright has already passed him in many Mets' historical offensive categories (I believe Straw only has him beat in HRs). Straw has a 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 9th in MVP voting while Wright has a 4th, 6th, 7th and 9th. Wright has Straw in BRef WAR (49.9 vs 36.5).

I can't see the argument for Beltran over Wright. Beltran played in NY for 7 years. His OPS+ during that time was 129. Wright's is 133. Beltran amassed 31.3 BRef WAR, Wright's at 49.9. Beltran had one season in NY where he finished in the Top 10 in MVP voting. Wright has 4.

Is David Wright still somehow underrated? I don't know, maybe so. I always find myself pleasantly surprised when I open up his BRef page. And if we want to get all "intangibles" and everything, he's done a hell of a job as a "face of the franchise guy" - never says the wrong thing, stuck around during some damn dark times, and has a C on his uni. Seems like the type of guy who should be a shoo-in for a list like this. Particularly since he's a guy that was drafted and developed by the organization and never played for another team.

Hmm

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Saturday, July 18, 2015, 03:54 (3198 days ago) @ Jeremy (WeIsND)

Wright's advanced metrics are much better than I would've thought. And I agree on the face of the franchise stuff, and that he gets a bonus for being a stalwart company man (I'm not being snarky, I do think that's huge). I spoke too strongly in saying he has no place on the list, but I certainly don't think he's a slam dunk to be on it.

My reasoning for each guy:

- I don't think the mid-80's Mets would've been anything more than good without Carter. That's why he gets a bump from me - he didn't wear the C officially but he was kind of the surrogate father for all the wacky kids. That '86 title is so meaningful to the franchise that Carter's influence on those teams counts for a lot.

- Gooden's Mets prime was meteoric in both intensity and duration, granted, but he was a cultural phenomenon. New York stopped on the days Gooden pitched. And in so many ways, good and bad, he embodied the franchise's most successful period. There's also an emotional element here because he was my favorite player when I was a kid - I used to stand in front of my bedroom mirror and practice his delivery.

- Straw is kind of similar to Gooden. I certainly respect Wright's place in the Mets record books, but I tend to think the records he has taken from Strawberry or more because of longevity than anything else. And that certainly deserves credit, of course, but I can't say that Wright was a better run producer, for example, than Strawberry. I wouldn't go to the mattresses over it, but I think a case can be made for him.

- I actually think Beltran is criminally underrated by a lot of Mets fans. Not you, just saying. He's arguably the most complete ball player the franchise has ever had - they've had better hitters, and they might've had one or two better fielders, but nobody did both as well as Beltran. He was just so quiet about it (as Wright is too) and so damned fluid that it looked so much easier than it was. I wouldn't necessarily have put him ahead of Wright because he clearly wasn't comfortable with the burden of being the face and David saved him from having to do that, but again, I think a case can be made.

- Finally, what hurts David a little for me is that I think he's shown that he's not really the alpha guy - he's ideally the second-best player in your lineup. Who would a pitcher be more worried about between Wright and Strawberry? Or Wright and Beltran? Or Wright and Delgado? Instinctively it seems like an obstacle to putting that guy on the franchise's Mount Rushmore.

On the other hand, Phil Rizzuto is in the Hall of Fame and I think he belongs there, so maybe I'm just fighting with myself.

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

should have been Gooden, Strawberry, Dykstra, and Carter

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:15 (3201 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

The all-Pond Scum team.

Thanks for the correction...I just assumed they were one

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:59 (3201 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

of the 3. I see it was the Angels, Astros, and Rangers.

The White Sox don't go far back enough

by Jack @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:43 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

and it includes only one Hall of Famer (Thomas, no doubt the best player in the history of the franchise), though I would argue Minoso should be in the Hall. But from the time old Comiskey was built and for the rest of its life, this was a team dominated by pitching. To not include any pitchers is missing a major part of their history.

Ed Walsh has to be there without a doubt, and maybe Ted Lyons as well. I'd take out Baines first.

There's a strong argument for Luis Aparicio as well. And he is in the Hall.

I guess you can't have Joe Jackson on there

by JRT, Island of Misfit Toys, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:32 (3201 days ago) @ Jack

But I would've put Luke Appling and half of Eddie Collins' career over Paul Konerko and Harold Baines.

Jackson played only 4.5 years with the Sox anyway

by Jack @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 23:02 (3201 days ago) @ JRT
edited by Jack, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 23:07

He was traded to the Sox in the middle of the 1915 season, hardly played in 1918 due to WWI (he worked in a shipyard) and of course was banned after 1920.

That's all he played with Cleveland, too.

by MattG, Thursday, July 16, 2015, 11:22 (3200 days ago) @ Jack

His career is almost precisely split. His best 2 seasons were with Cleveland, then he had 2 7.6 WAR seasons with both Cleveland and Chicago, then his next 3 best seasons were with Chicago.

If Pete Rose can be on the Reds' list, Jackson can be on CWS

by MattG, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 10:07 (3201 days ago) @ JRT

- No text -

Except he played longer for the Indians

by Jack @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 23:03 (3201 days ago) @ MattG
edited by Jack, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 23:15

And 4 of his 5 best seasons were with the Tribe.

Better choice: Eddie Collins.

Good points. It gets into the criteria...

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:53 (3201 days ago) @ Jack

If it's just about "who are the best players in the history of the franchise," then Luis is probably No. 1 or maybe No. 2 behind Frank (who wasn't as good of an all-around player but is one of the best hitters there's ever been). But if the criteria go to who are the most recognizeable players associated with that particular franchise or who were the key members of the best teams in the history of that franchise (both in addition to being really, really good at baseball), then that's another thing. If it's the latter, then I don't know if Luis makes the list and there's more of an argument for Baines and Konerko/Buehrle.

Also, if Rose is eligible for the Reds, then isn't Shoeless Joe a lock for the Sox?

I completely forgot Luke Appling

by Jack @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 23:12 (3201 days ago) @ BillyGoat

He absolutely deserves one of the spots. He's ahead of Aparicio. Look up his stats, and he played his entire career with the Sox. He (and Ted Lyons) just had the misfortune of being great players on lousy teams.

PK / Baines are a bit generous

by irishoutsider @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:33 (3201 days ago) @ Jack

He's probably my favorite player, but I don't know if he counts as all-time. Leading a world series winner is probably enough. I think Baines is in there to represent the '83 team, though that's similar without the championships.

There should be more respect for the team's earlier history and the Go-Go Sox.

Probably something like

Ed Walsh
Nellie Fox
Minnie Minoso
Frank Thomas

Luis Aparicio could probably replace anyone but Frank.
I like Minnie's inclusion because he has always been there.

If the ownership was deciding this, it completely explains

by Jack @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 23:09 (3201 days ago) @ irishoutsider

the selections.

It's Frank Thomas and 3 guys Jerry Reinsdorf adores.

Hey, I like all of them, too, but they left out Hall of Famers, for crying out loud.

The best part of this list is Michael Young

by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:36 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

That dude was taken completely for granted by the Rangers organization, consistently asked to move positions (and forced to move from SS to 3B immediately after winning the Gold Glove), and eventually had to waive his no-trade clause for the deal that sent him to Philadelphia in his final year.

His gold glove at SS was laughable

by NDTex ⌂ @, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 10:07 (3201 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

The guy was simply not a good SS. His original position, 2B, was where he was best, but he still was far from a top defender there.

He was incredibly consistent with the bat which is why the Rangers wanted to do the whole position switching dance (2B to SS to 3B to 1B/DH). His bat was considered that important.

He could have easily refused and the Rangers would have sent him elsewhere (which is what more or less happened with Philly), but the guy wanted to stay here so both found a way to make it work. There's a reason why he was offered and now has a job in the front office.

--

I enjoy Ben Zobrist on the Tampa team.

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:43 (3201 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

- No text -

Jeff Conine on the Marlins is worth a chuckle too

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:57 (3201 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

- No text -

Randy Jones has a career ERA+ of 101

by JN, Seattle, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:53 (3201 days ago) @ irishvol

One of your 4 best players was exactly league average during his career.

Another odd one: Robbie Alomar on Toronto (5 years, .307)

by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:15 (3201 days ago) @ irishvol

If 5 years of .307 batting is enough to be a Franchise Four, your franchise is awful.

Put in perspective, Mike Trout at age 23 has accumulated a WAR of 35 for the Angels. Alomar in five years with the Blue Jays totaled 20.4.

One could make the argument

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:24 (3201 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

That all 4 of Toronto's guys had either 1) more memorable, or 2) longer tenures with other teams. Delgado probably doesn't qualify, but its not far off.

Bautista is a better choice for Toronto

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:20 (3201 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

- No text -

But helped them to two World Series wins

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:19 (3201 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

I guess emotion trumps logic from time to time.

My dad is probably upset Luis Aparicio didn't make it

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:11 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

But I'm not sure who you'd bump off to put him in there.

Baines would be my first to cut

by Jack @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:47 (3201 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

Harold was a hitter first last and always.

Aparicio was a good hitter, a great fielder, and a great base stealer. Love Harold, but there's a reason Aparicio is in the Hall and Baines isn't.

I had the same thought about Luis. There's Minnie, who

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:31 (3201 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

played in the same era, but somehow wasn't on the 1959 Go-Go team. Luis probably has stronger statistical credentials. On the other hand, Minnie was also a really really good player who probably has stronger name recognition with the Sox.

Gotta have someone from the "Winnin Ugly" team, and that would have to be either Baines or maybe Kittle.

Konerko was the leader of the only Chicago World Series champs in just about a century.

Thomas is probably the team's most recognized player of the modern era.

He wasn't on the '59 team because he was traded to

by Jack @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:49 (3201 days ago) @ BillyGoat

the Indians for 2 integral players on that '59 team - Early Wynn and Al Smith. Without Wynn in particular, the Sox likely would have finished behind the Yankees, as usual (and probably the Indians, too).

They traded right back for him after that season. And that was a bad trade in retropect, because the Sox gave up a very young Norm Cash (who the Tribe then traded to the Tigers).

If I really wanted

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:38 (3201 days ago) @ BillyGoat

I could probably make an argument for Buehrle over Konerko.

I think the Cards' list is right.

by Kevin @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:32 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

But it's close on Ozzie. Other candidates: Pujols, Dizzy Dean, Ken Boyer, Slaughter, Molina.

I love Brock

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:43 (3201 days ago) @ Kevin

Hell, I saw him hit his 3000th. I nearly caught a foul ball hit by Lou Brock on Lou Brock Day (it hit the tray of food and drinks my dad was carrying up the aisle for all of us, spraying soda and ketchup and mustard everywhere -- one of those childhood memories seared into memory). But his career doesn't really stack up to other Cardinals' greats. And if he's in there as a "fan favorite" I think you have to go to Ozzie. And even on raw baseball numbers, I think Ozzie was more valuable (especially if you roll in defensive minded stats like WAR).

You are right

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:06 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

Tommy Herr, Jack Clark, John Tudor, or Joaquín Andújar should be there.

My gawd were those 80s Cards teams hateable.

They were way off.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:07 (3201 days ago) @ Kevin
edited by KGB, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:12

Tom Herr
Danny Cox
Whichever Iorg played for St. Louis (Barf?)
Tito Landrum

Speaking of Molina...

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:34 (3201 days ago) @ Kevin

I saw that he was given Brandon Phillips' locker for the ASG. Got a chuckle out of that.

Speaking of the Cards

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:55 (3201 days ago) @ irishvol

It was nice to see Cincy fans embrace the hatred of the Cards.

It's been embraced for some time

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:26 (3201 days ago) @ Domer99

There were some pretty heated Reds/Cards series over the last 5 years, with this incident sparking some of it. Hence my comment about Phillips and Molina.

They're apparently buddies now.

by Kevin @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:51 (3201 days ago) @ irishvol

- No text -

The '84 Tigers just cannot catch a break.

by PAK, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:29 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

But I take no issue with the 4 Tigers they picked

by JD in Portland @, Portland OR, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:08 (3201 days ago) @ PAK

The beauty of the 84 team was how much of a true team it was, not dominated by 1-2 superstars.
It's always hard for me to pick between 68 and 84, but man was 84 a magical year. Wire to wire, lapped the field, no one could even touch them.

Oh I agree with you, just being snarky.

by PAK, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:15 (3201 days ago) @ JD in Portland

- No text -

Not sure about including current players under 30...

by Jim (OFD) @, Naptown, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 05:44 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

Lots of young names.

Also, Maddux on the Braves just feels wrong. What about Glavine or Smoltz instead?

Maddux is the right choice

by scriptcomesfirst @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:25 (3201 days ago) @ Jim (OFD)

Best RH pitcher of his generation not named Clemens.

I don't think the quibble is with Maddux...

by PAK, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:59 (3201 days ago) @ scriptcomesfirst

as much as it is with the jersey.

Exactly.

by Jim (OFD) @, Naptown, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 17:02 (3201 days ago) @ PAK

Similar service time in Chicago as Atlanta. He always seemed like a mercenary for the Braves, but that comes from a Cubs fan. If Chicago had decided to pony up and spend money in the early 90s, I don't think he would have left.

Cub fan, too, but he won 3 Cy Youngs with the Braves

by scriptcomesfirst @, Thursday, July 16, 2015, 12:30 (3200 days ago) @ Jim (OFD)

vs. only 1 with the Cubs.

And I completely agree with your assertion that the Cubs could have kept him. I'm still bitter about it.

Not sure you need those last 3 words

by JN, Seattle, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 10:05 (3201 days ago) @ scriptcomesfirst

- No text -

I agree, but many others don't.

by scriptcomesfirst @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 11:14 (3201 days ago) @ JN

- No text -

It only feels wrong if you happen to be a Cubs fan.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:17 (3201 days ago) @ Jim (OFD)

- No text -

Maddux's WAR in 11 years was 66.0. In 20 years, Smoltz 67.0

by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:11 (3201 days ago) @ Jim (OFD)

Maddux was a fine choice.

The four greatest living baseball players

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 05:40 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

Willie Mays (absolutely!), Hank Aaron (Yes!), Sandy Koufax (sure!),

and, uh, Johnny Bench (???????)

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/136694204/greatest-living-players-franchise-fours-named

other candidates: Bonds, Rickey Henderson, Schmidt, Morgan

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:27 (3201 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

Pujols.

pujols?

by JN, Seattle, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:54 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

he's already 20th in history in lifetime WAR

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 10:10 (3201 days ago) @ JN
edited by Jay, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 10:14

There are only six living guys ahead of him, and two of them are apparently disqualified for this list due to PEDs (Bonds & ARod). He's probably in Embrey's "next four". If he keeps playing for 4 more years he's likely a top 10 all-timer, living or dead.

Yeah, he's right there.

by Mike (Embrey), Mountain Holler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 11:43 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

I didn't include him, but should have. He's probably going to end his career with 115-120 WAR, right in line with A-Rod and Rickey. Pitchers tend to accumulate a little bit less WAR, so it's tricky to compare them, but I think the NEXT living four, at least in a couple years, is Rodriguez, Pujols, and two of Seaver, Maddux, and Johnson. They're all even in WAR, and that sort of jives with my eyeball test.

Pedro's a step down - he just didn't have the longevity.

I hate leaving Rickey off, but I think he just misses too. It's funny, the biggest knock on him has gotta be defense. You'd think with his speed and skill he'd have been a great centerfielder. Instead he was a mediocre leftfielder.

Rickey is also one of only two examples I can think of players who throw left-handed but bat right-handed. So weird. I know there are a few, but that's super rare...the opposite, of course, is very common.

The other example is the great Ray Liotta.

--

Reggie Jackson

by KelleyCook @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:01 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Mays, Aaron, Bonds, Clemens

by Mike (Embrey), Mountain Holler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:57 (3201 days ago) @ Jay
edited by Mike (Embrey), Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:06

Of course there are lots of other great players, but I don't think a very strong case can be made for anyone over those four. The next four is more interesting. You could argue that it's all pitchers: Maddux, Seaver, Pedro, Randy, Gibson.

A-Rod, Rickey, and Schmidt all have a case too.

--

Agree with this

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:28 (3201 days ago) @ Mike (Embrey)

And I understand that people can't get their heads around the steroids stuff, but the bottom line is that we'll never see anyone do things in the batter's box that Barry Bonds did. Mike Trout could take every steroid known to man and not approach the numbers Bonds put up between 2001-2004. And he won 3 MVPs even before there was any suspicion of juicing. And he put up an OPS+ of 169 in his last season in the bigs. He could have easily played at least 3 more years. Hell, he could probably help some offenses (looking at you, Mets) today!

Seaver, Maddux, and Clemens should rate ahead of Koufax

by Flann, Central New Jersey, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:45 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

Clemens with an asterisk of course. Pedro and and Randy Johnson probably as well. Koufax was a great pitcher, a no doubt Hall of Famer, but his fantastic stats stem in part from pitching in circumstances (era, park) that were as weighted in his favor as possible. Plus, he had a very short career.

I would sooner take issue with Koufax than Bench.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:45 (3201 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

Sandy is an all-time great, but he really only had a handful of seasons where he was truly dominant before hanging it up. A sure-fire hall of famer, yes, but I have trouble saying that he's one of the three or four greatest living players when his peak was so brief.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/koufasa01.shtml

Randy Johnson could stake claim

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:37 (3201 days ago) @ KGB

To being a better LH pitcher.

Koufax's peak 6 years were amazing, but Seaver had at least 6 seasons that were on par with Koufax's 1961-1966, and then Seaver went on to have a HOF career over the rest of his 14-year tenure. And Seaver even spent 6 years in Cincy!

Arguably not the best NL pitcher born in late 1935

by Savage, Around Ye Olde Colonial College, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:00 (3201 days ago) @ KGB

Sorry, Koufax wins that in a landslide...

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:55 (3201 days ago) @ Savage

based on nothing more than a comparison of nicknames.

Not even the greatest living catcher.

by Savage, Around Ye Olde Colonial College, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 05:47 (3201 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

(Probably #2, behind Berra but ahead of Pudge, Fisk, and Piazza.)

Is he even the greatest living Red?

by Chi08, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:40 (3201 days ago) @ Savage

- No text -

Who are the alternatives? Joe Morgan, Frank Robinson?

by Savage, Around Ye Olde Colonial College, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:43 (3201 days ago) @ Chi08

- No text -

Pete Rose?

by Chi08, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:08 (3201 days ago) @ Savage

But with the off the field issues, understand why he's probably not an option.

FWIW, Bench leads that group in WAR by a large margin

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:24 (3201 days ago) @ Savage

It's admittedly one statistic, and as a Reds fan and former catcher, I'm biased. Nonetheless, I think it's a bit shortsighted to definitively say that Bench isn't the best living catcher. WS rings may tip it in Berra's favor (and he should get credit to some degree), though that impact is obviously a bit tougher to quantify.

fWAR/bWAR

Bench: 74.8 / 75.0
Berra: 63.7 / 59.5
Fisk: 68.3 / 68.2
Piazza: 62.5 / 59.4
Pudge: 68.7 / 68.4

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphsw.aspx?players=1000826,1000898,1004101,1275,893

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_career.shtml

F*ck that guy's rings.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:39 (3201 days ago) @ irishvol

Rings are not especially meaningful, not even as a tiebreaker. We're not playing goddamn tennis here.

I suppose it's debatable, but the offense is fairly close when you calibrate for historical variance, and I can't fathom that Berra was better or even comparable to Bench behind the plate. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Yogi was also a 3x league MVP and a 18 time all star

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:43 (3201 days ago) @ KGB

both those trump Bench's (2x NL MVP and 14 time all star).

Ok.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:56 (3201 days ago) @ hobbs

I assume that every Yankee was an all-star in that era basically every season in which they did not prefer to go fishing over the break. Borderline meaningless.

The MVPs are more relevant but 3-2 is hardly definitive in any way.

Yankee fan here. Bench > Berra.

by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:06 (3201 days ago) @ KGB

On the other question, Berra, Rivera, and Jeter are close, but I think it's Rivera > Berra > Jeter.

I think it's interesting that you guys favor Rivera.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:11 (3201 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

Maybe the greatest reliever ever, but still a reliever. Compared to a guy who played toward the top of the order and up the middle every day over the same period. Not necessarily wrong, just interesting. But it depends on how you view the exercise, too.

A lot of Rivera's value comes from the post season

by Flann, Central New Jersey, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:34 (3201 days ago) @ KGB

And he often wasn't used as a "modern" closer in the post season, with a relatively high percentage of his postseason saves were more than 1 out. Watching the postseason during the Yankees run, it seemed like Mo was the great advantage that the Yankees had over opponents. It helped that the Yankees beat other teams' closers in the postseason a bunch of times during Rivera's tenure.

It's really close and really tough

by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:28 (3201 days ago) @ KGB

Jeter's WAR is significantly better than both of the other two. But I'm not sure WAR fully captures Rivera's impact. And Rivera's postseason performances are just lightyears better than anyone with any significant number of save attempts.

As for Jeter versus Berra, I do think rings matter, especially when it's a catcher who's calling the pitcher's game.

The thing about Jeter is that, probably unlike any player on the list, he's remembered for so many moments. On top of his 15+ years of elite performance, there are individual plays and at-bats that any Yankee fan (and probably most baseball fans) could recall as if it were yesterday. The flip play, diving into the stands in extra innings against the Red Sox, the Jeffrey Maier homer, the World Series walk-off homer in the first November at-bat in MLB history, the 3000th hit homer, and the walk-off single in the last game at Yankee Stadium.

There's a line from the Sandlot: Heroes get remembered. Legends never die.

It's fair to put Berra and Rivera ahead of Jeter on lists like these. But Berra and Rivera will fade from our consciousness before Jeter because of the insane number of moments from which his legend was born.

Partially explained by Berra playing 3 more years

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:46 (3201 days ago) @ hobbs

And I'm sure that he never got any lift in voting for those awards (particularly ASG) by playing for the Yankees...

Jetah!!!!

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 05:39 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

--
"F--- everyone who isn't us."
#Team128

AWad should be on the M's list ahead of Felix Hernandez

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 22:58 (3202 days ago) @ Jay
edited by hobbs, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 23:04

Rodriguez had some legendary seasons (358, 36hr, and 128RBIs at age 20) in Seattle. Also it could be argued that he was one of the defining players of his era when he was with Seattle. Hernandez is good but he just never had the national impact of Alex Rodriguez.

Or to put it another way, I'd tell my kid I saw ARod play. Felix Hernandez's name wouldn't even come up in a baseball conversation. In fact I might mention Don Gullett before him.

BTW, Jeter is at best 6th greatest Yankee right? I have to think any sensible Yanqi fan has Yogi slotted at 5 behind the immortal 4.

Jeter is not the best shortstop ever

by Flann, Central New Jersey, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:42 (3201 days ago) @ hobbs

Arguably Berra is the best catcher ever and Rivera is the best relief pitcher ever. I would put them ahead of Jeter on that basis.

Jeter was a great in the post season. That is an important part of his legacy and would give him an edge over players who had similar regular season numbers. But Berra had some great World Series; he's the all time leader or 2nd to Mantle in several World Series career records (including hits, walks and total bases) and Rivera was one of the best post season performers in history (0.70 ERA in 140 Innings).

DiMaggio isn't even the best *Yankee* center fielder ever

by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:59 (3201 days ago) @ Flann

Which shows why that sort of thinking doesn't make a ton of sense.

Probably a dumb question: Who is?

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:56 (3201 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

- No text -

Mantle. Although you could argue DiMaggio over Mantle

by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:58 (3201 days ago) @ BillyGoat

The point being, one of the two isn't the best ever at their position -- not even for their own team. But I don't think that should be a factor against them when comparing them to Berra or Rivera, for example.

Thought he played a corner. What an athletic freak.

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:02 (3201 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

- No text -

Trout is Mantle 2.0

by Mike (Embrey), Mountain Holler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:08 (3201 days ago) @ BillyGoat

- No text -

--

How is Trout only 23?

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:09 (3201 days ago) @ Mike (Embrey)

- No text -

Because he was born in August of 1991.

by Mike (Embrey), Mountain Holler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:12 (3201 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

C'mon Jim, use your head.

--

Trout is not on the typical human aging cycle

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:14 (3201 days ago) @ Mike (Embrey)

- No text -

He played some left from 1964-1966 before going to 1B

by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:05 (3201 days ago) @ BillyGoat

Jeter

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:57 (3201 days ago) @ BillyGoat

- No text -

Best fans in baseball!

by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:01 (3201 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

I view it as an argument for Berra over Dimaggio

by Flann, Central New Jersey, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:20 (3201 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

Being the best ever at the position you played is a reasonable critereia, albeit no the only one, for any "all time greatest list."

Dimaggio, is a hard player to evaluate, mostly because of the prime years he, like many contemporaries, lost to service. It somehow seems like this should be treated differently than time lost to injury. There's also so much legend surrounding him, which I wouldn't necessarily wholly discount in favor of numbers.

Mo > Jeter

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:37 (3201 days ago) @ hobbs

- No text -

--
"F--- everyone who isn't us."
#Team128

Re: Yanks

by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:14 (3201 days ago) @ hobbs
edited by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 06:22

Probably, but Jeter's career WAR is significantly higher than Berra's (something like 71 to Berra's 60). That's the only reason it's debatable. Berra's titles, I think, should carry a ton of weight.

What about Randy Johnson?

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 04:48 (3201 days ago) @ hobbs

Rodriguez was spectacular in his time in Seattle, but it only amounted to ~ 5 years. Johnson established himself with the Mariners and pitched in their uniform for a decade. Close call.

The Cincinnati group is as it should be. Ortiz looks a little goofy on the Sox list, but everything considered, I guess I can see it.

Clemens as a Red Sock?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:02 (3201 days ago) @ KGB

- No text -

Speaking of the Reds,

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:35 (3201 days ago) @ KGB

that pissed me off when the fans started chanting Pete before Morgan even made it halfway out the field. Granted, Joe can't exactly move well anymore, but that was ridiculous. Having been away from the Cincy area for 20 years now, the fan obsession with Rose seems even more pathetic. The guy is a piece of shit. As for Morgan, he was never really embraced like the others on the BRM because he was the outspoken black guy who never knew his place.

I blame the west side.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:52 (3201 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

- No text -

I was at Flanagan's

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:09 (3201 days ago) @ KGB
edited by Bryan (IrishCavan), Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:52

the night Bart Giamatti died. You would have thought it was Bastille Day in Paris or VJ in New York.