context on the Jay Hayes decision

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:37 (3436 days ago)

BK: Yeah, and then we’re gonna take the red shirt off of Jay Hayes. Jay Hayes is gonna play. He’ll be part of the rotation as well as (Jacob) Matuska. He’ll play as well.

Q: That had to be an interesting conversation with Hayes?

BK: It was a difficult decision for me to make, yeah. We’re gonna play him a minimum of 30 plays. We’ll up him to about 40. We’ll get 10 days to two weeks of practices. We want to get him to 100 reps. I feel if we get him to 100 reps. Kolin Hill’s got 94. (Grant) Blankenship’s got 103. (Daniel) Cage has got 113 this year in totality. If we can get him up to 100 reps and a couple weeks of practice, we’ll feel as though we did by him the right thing to get him enough reps and enough work to make it worthwhile. We brought him up on Tuesday and he made an impact. We’re a better football team by playing him. He’ll play the three (technique). He’ll play inside.

Q: Talk more about Jay Hayes.

BK: He is physically able to compete with our first five guys on the offensive line. He can physically go in there toe to toe and has the strength to go with them on a play-by-play basis. Already has the physical ability to do that. Where we lost him a little bit early on was he just got a little lost in terms of packages. He wasn’t in our first and second down packages. He was in a sub package evaluation, in that sub package evaluation we looked more toward edge rusher types. Now with the need for more inside guys, he certainly showed himself that he can come in and help us and upgrade what we have currently.

Q: Did you ever get close with Jonathan Bonner of Jhonny Williams?

BK: No. Those guys were not. The only guy that has only been … Jay Hayes has been ready every week, we were hoping not to play him. And it was a difficult decision. I’ve had to weigh a lot of factors. A lot of factors from my standpoint. Historically, we think Jay Hayes can play at the next level. We think he’s that good of a player. We haven’t had a lot of NFL defensive linemen hang around here for five years. There’s a lot of factors that went into this evaluation of do we play him? The key for me in playing him is to get him to 100 reps. If we were going to play him five reps, six reps, seven reps, I’m not playing him. He’s gonna play a lot. That’s why I feel like to get him three games against what we feel like are going to be three very good opponents plus a mini spring ball, now he can go compete with (Andrew) Trumbetti, Blankenship, those guys that already have some defense under their belt and he can go beat them out and compete with them.

Q: I’m guessing he’d pretty excited about it. You’re the one that has to balance now against the future.

BK: Your first response is, ‘Yeah, I’m ready to go.’ Then I’m sure he went back to the dorms and somebody talked to him and said, ‘You crazy? They’re gonna pull your red shirt off with two games to go?’ That’s generally how that goes. I don’t know if that happened or not, but generally what I do, I get them to practice the first day and the first thing I want to hear from is my defensive coaches and say, ‘What do you think? Can he impact the game? Can he make us a better football team? Can he help us win?’ And if I get an affirmative on that, then I gotta make a decision. So then I sat down with him, I said, ‘What do you think?’ Can you wrap your arms around this decision? He was all in. So I went with it. It was not an easy decision. These ones that are that late in the season are never easy ones.

The "NFL defensive linemen don't stay 5 years" is spot on.

by ReginaldVelJohnson @, Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:42 (3436 days ago) @ Jay

If Kelly and Co. honestly think he's good enough now to project to the NFL, he's not going to be around for a 5th year anyway. The guys who stay for 5 before going pro are the ones who have that light go off after a year or two on campus. The only question then would be "If he was good enough for a few weeks, why didn't we do this earlier?"

I think it's being way overblown as well.

by Bill, Murrieta, CA, Friday, November 21, 2014, 12:42 (3436 days ago) @ ReginaldVelJohnson

We don't know what our DL position will be in 2018, with Jay Hayes or anybody else. Guys get hurt, they transfer, they don't pan out. they leave early for the NFL or they stay and play out all of their eligibility. Nobody knows which of those buckets Jay Hayes will fall into in 2018. We do know what our DL position is in now and that Jay Hayes is the guy who is best suited to help us in the next 3 games.

exactly; it's not that complicated

by JD in Portland @, Portland OR, Friday, November 21, 2014, 21:45 (3435 days ago) @ Bill

Springman, Day and Cage are out, Jones is hobbled. We're left with not much.
We have a big game tomorrow and the coaches, as they should, are going to do whatever it takes to win the damn game.
Plus I'd assume the kid has improved over the course of 4 months of practice.
We can worry about 2018 in 2018.

Agree

by Tim, Chicago, IL, Friday, November 21, 2014, 13:39 (3436 days ago) @ Bill

- No text -

The key to all of it is you MUST play to win now

by Jack @, Friday, November 21, 2014, 12:25 (3436 days ago) @ ReginaldVelJohnson

If he gives us a better chance to win, pull off his redshirt and don't look back.

It isn't that simple, Jack.

by Joe I @, (formerly known as LBbeachrat), Friday, November 21, 2014, 12:31 (3436 days ago) @ Jack

Umm, yes, actually it is, Joe.

I don't think we can entirely discount the possibility that

by IrishGuard, Friday, November 21, 2014, 11:01 (3436 days ago) @ ReginaldVelJohnson

Kelly's "we think he might be good enough to play in the NFL someday" language could just be giving the kid a boost of confidence.

Yeah, if he was any good

by CK08, Friday, November 21, 2014, 11:10 (3436 days ago) @ IrishGuard

Kelly would be talking about how he needs to step up and they expect more from him.

good enough to play, but I guess not better than

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, November 21, 2014, 10:49 (3436 days ago) @ ReginaldVelJohnson

Trumbetti, Blankenship, Cage, or Hill (off the edge). And not better than Day, Jones, or Rochell. Maybe he's better than Utupo; I'm not sure.

But it's only this week where we're suddenly down two primary DLs and need some help.

And we lost to NW

by JN, Seattle, Friday, November 21, 2014, 14:51 (3436 days ago) @ Jay

It's pretty clear that we can't hold anything back that can help us win at this point, at least on D. And we can't afford to have the wheels come totally off this thing.