Buckle up.

by Kevin @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:12 (3418 days ago)

[image]

Brian Kelly in not going to Florida

by crazychester @, Chicago, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 10:44 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

I think it is little beyond clickbait.

He'd be second fiddle in state to the sociopath in Tallahassee and looking at unarguably more difficult path to a 4 or 8 team playoff.

He would also be a poor cultural fit.

I bet he has a pair or two of jorts.

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 10:55 (3417 days ago) @ crazychester

- No text -

So why wouldn't BK take the job?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:12 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

Assume the money will be right. For a trueblood college football coach who wants to win the big trophy, why wouldn't you want to be in the SEC and at Florida?

b/c Chuck Martin isn't ready to replace him at ND yet?

by JN, Seattle, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 10:36 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

He should take the job

by Geoff, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 09:52 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

Think about this for a moment. Sabama humiliated Kelly in the national championship game. Sabama had many players Kelly could not have at ND.

Much of Kelly's career is based on getting even against people or proving himself or defending himself against perceived slights.

When Kelly takes the FU job, he can admit anyone he wants. He can cut players who don't produce. He can compete against Jimbo Fuckhead, the SEC Powers, and ... SABAMA! Hell, he should take the job right now.

Kliff K 4 ND

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 10:00 (3417 days ago) @ Geoff

We can start a cheering section called the Kliff Kingsbury Klan---and the Polo Grounds has been designated a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Many fans were very upset following the NU loss

by Geoff, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 12:14 (3417 days ago) @ MHB (Rakes of Mallow)

Some claimed that Kelly lost them with this loss. Fair enough.

If that's the case, then those fans should be happy Kelly might land the FU job. It's addition by subtraction.

I don't think Kelly gives a shit what fans think about him. In fact, he's gone out of his way to fuck with some fans during his press conferences.

Here's my biggest question: does Kelly believe he can win a national championship at ND? If he believes he can, then I think he would stay. If he believes he can't (for whatever reason(s), then I suspect he'll bounce.

Thinking the same

by DCT, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 09:09 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

Some ND fans best be careful for what they wish for.

If Kelly bolts, I'm not convinced we will maintain, or upgrade at the coaching position.

Skip Holtz is available

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 09:29 (3417 days ago) @ DCT

Randy Edsall would come in a heartbeat
Tom O'Brien is doing great things
Don Shula?
Terry Donahue?
Kirk Ferentz?
Barry Alvarez?

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

The Terry Donahue one made me spit iced tea

by DCT, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 10:33 (3417 days ago) @ Greg

I still remember my dad, hearing Terry D as a potential candidate and saying, "Jesus H. Christ".

Losing Kelly to UF would be a huge blow, IMO.

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 09:18 (3417 days ago) @ DCT

It would certainly perpetuate the narrative that ND is not a top coaching job...hell, they couldn't even keep the Southie (I know he isn't a Southie) from leaving for the SEC.

We'll find out if Kelly actually believes his own rhetoric

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:41 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

about ND being a special place where integrity and academics are important. Of course, you can practice those ideals at UF to some degree, but it isn't the same.

He wouldn't preach those ideals at UF

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 09:26 (3417 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

Just like he didn't at Cincy, CMU or GVSU.

I don't get the sense that Kelly enjoys recruiting, per se, but I do wonder whether he's frustrated that so many elite players are not an option for him for reasons ranging from academics to weather to mutual interest. If he goes to Florida, he would get to coach guys like Vernon Hargreaves, have a legitimate chance to land guys like Byron Cowart, and not travel outside of the state for his talent.

I'm 98% sure that's a load of bullshit.

by Slainte Joe @, Raleigh, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 09:07 (3417 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

- No text -

how about this

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 09:09 (3417 days ago) @ Slainte Joe

He believes them to the extent they are a substantive selling point in recruiting.

He can believe it completely, and...

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:54 (3417 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)
edited by Greg, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 09:34

...be done with it. EDIT: ...and ready to sell something else on the recruiting trail.

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

Like every apex predator

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:48 (3417 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

Kelly believes whatever he needs to believe to win. He is ruthless, and it's what we demand.

One can argue whether it's true or not, but Kelly believes that he is at the top of his profession and deserves to be treated as such.

To play amateur psychologist/professional writer

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:35 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

What does Kelly want his narrative to be? Right now, he's worked for decades to get from one sports tier to another, be it coaching softball to a directional Michigan to the most iconic (in our minds at least) CFB program in history.

So what does he want the end to be? Does he want it to be, "I went from nothing to a statue outside Gate E"? Or does he want it to be, "I went from nothing to CFB's version of the Wolf," i.e., "I'm who the powers call when they are on their knees"?

For the moment, I think it's the former rather than the latter. If not for the Eagles dalliance, I would assume his goal is actually a statue in Canton rather than South Bend, but I get the feeling he didn't quite like what he saw in the NFL.

We'll know some answers after this year

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:43 (3417 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

Besides the complete and utter abomination that is the Northwestern game. Kelly had done a good job with a depleted and inexperienced roster, along with the turnover of his trusted lieutenants. It was a lot to absorb and endure.

He has mostly (or some may argue partially) done it.

If he wants, there will be an NFL opportunity. Especially with Chip Kelly's success (never mind that BK's offenses haven't executed to Oregon's level while at ND).

If he's serious about the culture and dynamic that exists in college football (i.e. learning and teaching young guys) he'll be at ND for the remainder of his tenure. If it's about constantly trying to prove and better himself, then I think he could jump for the NFL this year.

He obviously knows what it entails and what it's about. He could write-off 2012-13 as a fact finding process. If he continues now, then it's a real genuine interest.

So why isn't it a lateral move?

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:34 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

It's a program with fewer restrictions, a fertile recruiting base, but is Florida's program really in the same magnitude and context as Notre Dame?

It's a great regional school in the best football conference. Hell, it wasn't a great enough opportunity to maintain Meyer.

It's a downgrade

by KelleyCook @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 10:59 (3417 days ago) @ Domer99

Technically everything is a downgrade from Notre Dame in terms of prestige since we are the only national school.

Nevertheless, I maintain its only eight schools in the tippy-top tier:

ND, Bama, Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, USC, Ohio State, Michigan.

There are a couple of others knocking at the door, but those are the biggies.

Now for the best coaching gig, it is a slightly different story of course.

Bottom line, the twitter report is typical coaching search bullshit. Florida is in stage 1 in which all the unobtainable names show up.

No one should be surprised when his name surfaces for the Michigan job after Harbaugh says no (he coached at GVU for decades! He was contacted after Llloyd retired!).

We should be happy that Kelly is now considered a big-name coach.

Yes, it is sort of a lateral move,

by oviedoirish @, Oviedo, Florida, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 09:39 (3417 days ago) @ Domer99
edited by oviedoirish, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 09:46

but with likely higher pay, and a better (or easier) path to a national title, with regard to recruiting. Depends on what BK is looking for.

When was the last time UF played in the National Champ game?

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:34 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

What about ND? If a national championship is his ultimate goal, leaving ND for UF doesn't make sense.

Granted, UF actually won the championship games, and the institutional hurdles at UF are probably quite a bit lower than at ND. But ND has proven that it can get to the final battle under Kelly. With the squad coming back next year for ND, compared to the current UF roster, it's incredibly foolish to say that UF is a better job.

This isn't akin Urban Meyer choosing between Zook's well-stocked UF roster and the collection of lads that Ty assembled at ND.

A few reasons...

by Eric M, Western New York, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:27 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

*UF is a mess offensively. With the skill talent you can get it's not an enormous rebuild but it won't be easy.

*Their QB situation is a mess. I have to think Kelly would think long and hard about this given his experience at ND.

*He's not really a culture fit. Doesn't come across as the type of guy who will want to deal with a bunch of kids smoking trees and getting into trouble.

*Their current recruiting class sucks balls.

*Their fans are fickle but expect you to be Meyer 2.0.

*Tennessee won't be down much longer. Even if you win the East it's an uphill battle to win conference titles.

*Major nip chaffing.

--
-Ya boy Jackmerius Tacktheritrix

The culture fit might be the biggest thing

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 09:01 (3417 days ago) @ Eric M

I just can't see Kelly ever fitting at a Southern school. The Boston in him shines through relentlessly, and I don't think he'd ever fit as a result - I think that even when things were good, the fans would secretly regard him as a carpetbagger. Yeah, Saban is a Midwest guy, but he's also completely devoid of a personality so it doesn't really matter.

Michigan, Ohio State, USC - maybe. Like Kevin, though, I think it'll be ND or NFL for Kelly.

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

Off the top of my head

by Mike (bart), Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:26 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

1. Having to start over with a program. Despite the recent results, Kelly is pretty adamant that he thinks we're at the place he wants as far as effort for four quarters, locker room culture, day-to-day player management, etc. Florida obviously isn't up to snuff in those departments, or else they wouldn't need a new coach. If the goal is a championship in the next 2-3 years, ND is in a better spot than Florida. Florida fans aren't any more patient than ND fans, and taking 2 years to turn that program around would guarantee as much or more heartburn as he's in for at ND.

2. Transition costs. For Brian Kelly, mainly. Kelly Cares Foundation would take some kind of hit. His kids of school age would have to move to an area where the Kellys have never lived. Burns his buddy Van Gorder who just moved his family here. Has to get to know a new university staff, new football admin, new kids, etc.

3. Climate - return of purple face

4. Lock in. Kelly can conceivably move to the NFL after probably one more good season at ND. If he goes to UF and struggles for a year or two, he probably wouldn't be able to move jobs again until 2018 or 2019, when he'll be pushing 60.

4. UF drawbacks. Has to play in the SEC, has to deal with more serious legal problems, has to find a new profile of kid for his program, etc.

Contract restrictions

by Rob (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:25 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

I think there is a lot of work to do down there, especially

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:25 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

on offense and ESPECIALLY at QB. If I were Kelly, I would be SO sick of having to deal with limited, young, and raw QBs that I might stick with ND in 2015 for that reason alone.

It would be different if Florida was putting out 9-10 win seasons such that Muschamp just got hired away into the NFL because they were doing so well.

depends on his professional goals

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:24 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

If he wants to get to the NFL, he's better off hanging around for 2015 if he doesn't get an NFL offer. If he views himself as a college coach, one would think the calculus would favor remaining at ND over UF as well. Of course, perhaps his view is that he can actually win a title at UF.

It would a crazy time to leave ND

by Jack @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:23 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

With the players we have coming back next year.

That is #1.

He'd have to start from scratch again

by CK08, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:23 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

And Florida may not have the same challenges that ND does, but it does have it's own unique issues:

-Lags behind in facilities.

-Difficult schedule (Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, two SEC west teams, and Florida State every single year).

-Recruiting competition for in-state talent by pretty much everyone, including two major in-state schools.

-A college town that is light years behind some of your recruiting rivals (especially Georgia and Miami).

Remember, the only coaches ever to succeed at Florida are Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer, two of the best of all time.

Has a Tier 1 coach ever done that?

by Pete, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:20 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

Been stymied in a title hunt at one traditionally powerful school, and jumped ship to find relatively immediate success elsewhere?

You could argue Urban Meyer did that.

by Pat (Moco), Bar, Urban Chophouse Short North, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:25 (3417 days ago) @ Pete

Granted, he took a year off, but he left the SEC to join the noodle fight that is the B1G.

I think many would if given the opportunity

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:23 (3417 days ago) @ Pete

B10 (or equivalent) to a premier SEC job is a step up these days. A guy like Pelini, mired at Nebraska in a conference likely to be outside-looking-in at the playoffs (unless you're Urban) would jump at LSU, I assume, if offered. Bielema is in progress right now.

Pelini is mired by himself, not his conference

by CK08, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:35 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

If they were dominating the B1G West, they would absolutely be in the playoff. But instead they're giving up record rushing yardage to Wisconsin...again.

And Bielema is 8-14 at Arkansas (1-13 in conference). He's much further from the playoff than he would be at Wisconsin.

The smart move for a coach is the B1G, ACC, or Big XII. Same money, easier path to success.

My speculation is, if he has a non-ND goal, it's the NFL.

by Kevin @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:18 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

This would delay that progression. Also, I think ND will be better than Florida next year. Though UF does seem like a quick-fix type of job, as Urban proved.

Arguably it's harder.

by Pat (Moco), Bar, Urban Chophouse Short North, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:17 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

Look at Ohio State, for example. They're going to likely cruise into the playoffs with a horrendous schedule.

full text

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:10 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

Kelly and a local connection

One name that has gained some major traction in connection with the Florida job the last two days is Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly. ESPN's Chris Mortensen said Kelly would probably be "a pretty serious candidate" for the Florida job on the Scott Van Pelt & Russillo radio show on Monday.

"The reason Brian Kelly is an interesting name is, I'm hearing his name in NFL circles," Mortensen said. "I do believe he's probably a pretty serious candidate for the Florida job if he chooses to explore that, but he's also in season. That's why you have agents - to do that work."

Here's the interesting bit of news. Mortensen's agent is Trace Armstrong, who lives in Gainesville. Coincidentally, that's also Brian Kelly's agent.

So a couple things could be in play here. First, Mortensen could be party to an Armstrong attempt to get his client (Kelly) a raise. Agents are always looking to float their client's name for a big job opening to put pressure on their current school to come through with a raise or extension.

Or, Mortensen could actually know something and there could be legitimate interest from the Gators. Why would Kelly consider what might be a lateral move? Why would he consider leaving Notre Dame at all? Mortensen expanded.

"There's NFL teams that are looking at Brian Kelly that see him as a CEO type with strengths on the offensive side of the football and Notre Dame, as great as the tradition and the institution is, still has some restrictions," Mortensen said. "There's still no redshirts. There's still academic standards that are above and beyond the norm. So that's a name that I think people are looking at."

Kelly has dealt with multiple players suspended for academic fraud -- which is not explicitly what Mortensen was referencing, but could be part of Kelly's willingness to consider other jobs -- in the past two years.

The Fighting Irish had four players suspended for academic fraud this season, while starting quarterback Everett Golson missed the entire 2013 season for academic fraud after leading Notre Dame to the BCS Championship Game in 2012.

In any case, that Armstrong is local fits the narrative that we're working with on Florida's coaching search. Florida was all but set to announce Will Muschamp's firing after the team lost to Georgia (the Gators didn't lose, of course).

Foley specifically said on Monday that his evaluation really began after the Missouri loss. GatorBait.net has mentioned several times, even before Muschamp's ousting, that what Foley learned during the two weeks between the Missouri and Georgia games would likely be key in whether Muschamp was retained in 2015, regardless of what happened on the field the rest of the season.

It would have been pretty easy for Florida to gauge interest via Armstrong during that time. Kelly fits everything Florida's looking for: championship experience, integrity, winning and successful offense.

In fact, there are few better fits. Whether the interest is legitimate or not is the big question. But certainly Kelly fits the bill enough to be a name to keep a very close eye on as things progress.

One name that emerged Monday fizzling

After speaking with multiple sources, GatorBait.net is confident in saying that Marshall head coach Doc Holliday is almost certainly not on the board as a serious potential candidate.

FootballScoop reported Monday that he was a candidate for the open position. While Holliday has had success at Marshall, leading the Thundering Herd to a 10-4 season a year ago and a 10-0 record so far in 2014, Holliday just doesn't have the experience necessary.

His previous stint at Florida was also nothing particularly noteworthy, serving as the safeties coach at Florida from 2005-07 under Urban Meyer.

We didn't have Holliday on our initial Hot Board, and we're not planning to add him at this time despite his name being linked to the job in the media.

More coaches denying interest

A handful of coaches denied interest in the Florida job or refused to comment on it on Monday, and Auburn coach Gus Malzahn was added to the list on Tuesday.

"I've got one of the best jobs in college here at Auburn, and (I'm) totally committed to that," Malzahn said.

That Malzahn would even be asked about the job shows just how impactful the Florida coaching search has already been. Dozens of coaches could get raises simply from being linked to the job, but Malzahn going to Florida simply doesn't make sense for him.

He's already competing for SEC and national titles at Auburn, coming up just seconds shy of one a year ago. Auburn very recently updated its facilities, and right now they're nicer than Florida's.

The Tigers have one of the most successful athletics programs in the nation with pockets nearly as deep as Florida's. Auburn will be willing to spend what it takes to keep a guy who has helped take them to two national title games in the previous four years.

There are really only two factors that could even make Malzahn consider a Florida move, and neither really hold much water. 1) That the recruiting base in Florida is slightly better. 2) That the SEC West is so loaded right now it might be easier to make a title run in the SEC East.

But while the first is true to some degree, college football is cyclical, and the SEC East being down the last few years won't always be the case. Florida may very well have interest in Malzahn, but until something happens to suggest that Malzahn might be interested in Florida, it's probably best for Florida fans not to hold out too much hope on that one.

An NFL name finally gets tossed out

One of the NFL names that we had on our hot board was finally talked about by a national media type on Tuesday, with the NFL Network's Gil Brandt saying he would be a great choice for the Florida job on Twitter.

Denver coordinator Adam Gase, who helped the Broncos win games as the quarterbacks coach when Tim Tebow was in town and has since moved to the coordinator position with Peyton Manning in town, is the name Brandt would stand behind as a good hire for Florida.

Gase is young at 36, and he's got a history with some of the best coaches in the game. Gase played for Nick Saban at Michigan State, then worked with him at LSU for three years as a graduate assistant and a recruiting assistant before moving to the NFL. He has quickly risen through the NFL ranks from a position as a scouting assistant to an offensive coordinator.

While Gase might fit at the college level, he doesn't have much experience there, so he'd be a big gamble by the Gators. He's also widely considered one of the top up-and-coming coaches in the NFL, potentially in line for an NFL head coaching job soon.

So Gase seems an unlikely candidate. But as far as fringe candidates and potential surprise guys go, he's a pretty good one to have on the list.

This is borderline conflict of interest on Mortensen's part.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:28 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Borderline is generous.

by Pete, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:29 (3417 days ago) @ KGB

- No text -

buzz don't care where it comes from

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:38 (3417 days ago) @ Pete

- No text -

The name "Trace Armstrong" is key to all of this

by Jack @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:26 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

So Kelly would be

by Pete, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:14 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

a serious candidate for the Florida job IF he decided he were interested in it?

Gee boy howdy, glad the head Notre Dame football coach two years removed from playing for a national title and three weeks removed from a Top 10 ranking can make Foley's list of coach crushes.

it's called buzz, Pete. it's legitimate buzz

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:15 (3417 days ago) @ Pete

- No text -

One name that has gained some major traction

by Pete, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:18 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

in connection with the Florida job the last two days is the reanimated corpse(s) of Vince Lombardi, spliced together with John Wooden. ESPN's Chris Mortensen said he/they would probably be "a pretty serious candidate(s)" for the Florida job on the Scott Van Pelt & Russillo radio show on Monday.

what's the buzz? tell me what's a happening

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:16 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

first JC Superstar ref ever on the board?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:18 (3417 days ago) @ HumanRobot

Nice work!

No redshirts, huh?

by FunkDoctorSpock, Your Nightmares, B* tches, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:12 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

Got it.

I stopped at "no redshirts"

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:12 (3417 days ago) @ Jay

What a windbag.

I thought that was dubunked in like 1998

by CK08, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:25 (3417 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

- No text -

Remember when Weis was going to coach the 2006 Giants?

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:05 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

This always strikes me as a colossal waste of energy in the absence of something actually leaving or signing a contract at a different school.

And back in the 80's Holtz was going to the Cowboys

by Jack @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:08 (3417 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

Adamantly reported by Danny Sheridan, who still has a career for some reason despite being consistently wrong on most topics.

That Weis to the Giants crap got him the contract ND is still paying.

And Tom Coughlin is STILL coaching the Giants 9 years later.

Oh for crying out loud

by Jack @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:01 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

These guys really can't wait to create news.

Are they rumormongering about anyone else?

May as well update the TPG short list, though

by Mike (bart), Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:52 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

TOP TARGETS - Guys Who Could Potentially Be an Instant Upgrade

Jim Harbaugh - Have to at least kick the tires here if he'sas likely to move on as some people think. Truthfully, I'm not 100% sure I'd want him at ND even if he wanted to come - the kids on his Stanford teams seemed like some real dipshits

NEXT TIER - Guys Who Could Potentially Be an Upgrade

Gary Patterson - Again, don't think he'd come.

Bob Stoops - Doubt he'd pick up the phone again, either. Also, it isn't 100% clear that he'd be a big upgrade over Kelly at this point.

Dan Mullen - Eh. Maybe the highest ceiling. I guess he kind of has an 'Ara-like' resume, but I don't think there are any more Aras in college football

STOPGAPS

Butch Jones
Jim McElwain
Steve f'in addazio

Beyond that you're into coordinators or absolute fliers.

even if you aim high and get an established P5 coach

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:10 (3417 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

Isn't that somebody like Mora or Pelini?

McElwain has a full salary buy-out (probably 8 figures)

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:08 (3417 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

- No text -

I'd make a play for Urban Meyer

by Bill, Murrieta, CA, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:05 (3417 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

Why not? He's got to see the B1G in a backslide, which might give him thoughts about moving into a better spot. Plus, he might still have that ND itch afterall. He would definitely be moving into a good situation.

They're 6th in the championship rankings right now

by Jack @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:06 (3417 days ago) @ Bill

Not. A. Chance.

What about a genetic cyborg from Rock, Leahy & Ara's DNA?

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:03 (3417 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

- No text -

--
"F--- everyone who isn't us."
#Team128

Butch Jones followed Kelly at Cincinnati and CMU, right?

by Kevin @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:02 (3417 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

I thought Kelly had built decent programs at both places.

Jones's first two seasons at Central, he went 8-6 and 8-5. Then 11-2 and was hired at Cincy.

At Cincy, he started out 4-8. Then 10-3 and 9-3 and was hired at Tennessee.

Where he's 10-12.

I don't think we have the patience Butch Jones requires. This is a severely-addled-by-syphillis-and-Hepatiti-homeless-man's Brian Kelly.

His stop at TN is unlike the stops at CMU and Cincy

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 09:26 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

Can you imagine following Brian Kelly - twice - and then taking over for Derek Dooley? The roster that he inherited at Tennessee was a nuclear waste site. He was left a tremendous OL with very little else. Dooley had burned bridges with former players and most of the HS coaches in the state.

I'm pleasantly surprised that Tennessee fans have been patient with him. We're set up well for the next few years. And it's about damn time.

Dantonio to Kelly to Jones

by Jack @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 09:01 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

- No text -

Gross gross gross.

by Pete, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:55 (3417 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

This mental exercise is like forcing fans to pick out the three losses when they predict a 9-3 season. It's one thing in the abstract to say it may be time to shop around for a Kelly alternative, but man when you have to put rubber on the road it's a bleak, bleak picture.

There are also some off the wall choices

by Mike (bart), Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:00 (3417 days ago) @ Pete

like Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan, Lovie Smith or Jon Gruden. I don't think any of those guys would be remotely good ideas, or even "snowball's chance in hell" longshots (although I would enjoy the absolute circus of chaos that a Gruden administration would bring), but Charlie Weis wasn't really on our radar either.

Smith didn't want to go to USC last year

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:09 (3417 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

- No text -

Right, but we could offer him a condo on Lake Shore Drive

by Mike (bart), Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:12 (3417 days ago) @ HumanRobot

- No text -

So what you're saying is he's an ND guy through & through?

by Pete, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:12 (3417 days ago) @ HumanRobot

- No text -

Mullen would play the role of Meyer; McElwain w/b Kelly

by Kevin @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:06 (3417 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

If they were to look at NFL candidates, I'd like to think about Mike Tomlin. I like his personality. As Jay knows, it is important for coaches to be good-looking. He has college experience, though not as a head coach. If one of players "allegedly" becomes a sexual predator, Tomlin will keep that shit in check.

If we could nab Tomlin

by Mike (bart), Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:10 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

it would be a more impressive feat than actually winning a national championship. I would put the odds at approximately the same as getting LeBron James to retire from basketball and play out his college eligibility at ND.

I don't want an NFL coach near Notre Dame

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:08 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

And if Swarbrick is around for a search, it's not happening either. We learned that lesson, and the NFL has more skeletons in its closet than most college programs.

Ugh.

by Pete, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:07 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

The guy who has made a habit out of playing down to competition? Think a lone example of this is what set off this conversation in the first place.

Cool-looking coach, though.

Almost everything you say is irrelevant.

by Kevin @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:12 (3417 days ago) @ Pete

He is handsome.

You can teach coaching.

by Pete, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:14 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

- No text -

If by "Off the Wall" you mean "Terrible"

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:04 (3417 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

- No text -

"Off the wall" usually means "terrible"

by Mike (bart), Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:07 (3417 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

If you have a direct path to throw stuff into the trash can, you take it. Way too much downside risk otherwise.

We should look at Mike Krzyzewski.

by Pete, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:09 (3417 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

- No text -

I think we should look at Peyton Manning.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:38 (3417 days ago) @ Pete

Or at the very least the Manning brother who doesn't play in the NFL.

For that matter, are there any other Gruden brothers floating around? A sister, even?

Pat Quinn is going to be on the market soon

by Mike (bart), Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:11 (3417 days ago) @ Pete

- No text -

Harbaugh hates ND

by CK08, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:54 (3417 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

Between his time at Michigan and Stanford, I really don't think he'd ever work for Notre Dame.

I think we would want to go after Butch Jones. He's had success following Kelly in other places, and we could out-bid Tennessee if necessary.

Honestly, after that, I'd go get Chuck Martin and see how many assistants he can keep on campus. Keep as much continuity as possible.

And he sure as hell wouldn't come to ND before Michigan

by Jack @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:04 (3417 days ago) @ CK08

Rumor has it there might be an opening there.

Of course, I don't think he's going there either, or to any other college job for that matter.

That would be really surpsiing to me

by Mike (bart), Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:43 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

Florida has basically the same set of problems that ND had when Kelly took over. It's certainly a better job in the macro, but I seriously doubt it's a better job as set up for 2015-2018. As many baked in advantages as it seems Florida has, a lateral move (as opposed to a move up to the NFL) carries more downside risk than upside potential.

My best bet would be that this is part idle speculation, part Kelly'c camp trying to take advantage of this opportunity to keep his reputation sky-high through a rocky stretch.

I can keep his reputation sky high at no cost.

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:47 (3417 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

Kick the goddamned XP.

--
"F--- everyone who isn't us."
#Team128

The last part is my guess.

by Kevin @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:46 (3417 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

I would be stunned if he even considered the UF job. I would be less stunned to hear Trace Armstrong is using contacts in Gainesville to supplement the way he's using Chris Mortensen.

I would almost expect this move from Kelly as well

by Mike (bart), Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:57 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

Again, this is a man who doesn't give few fucks, he gives zero fucks. That means even if we wanted him to reserve some fucks for us ND fans, we're out of luck. There's simply no supply.

Hell, if it is coming from Kelly's camp, I don't think the message would simply be directed at the football cognoscenti or ND fans. "Listen up, fuckfaces: it's my way or the highway (for me)" is probably a message that would help Kelly get what he wanted from the ND admin, booster community, and even his own team.

And of course, if this gets whipped into hysteria and leads UF to offer him $7M/yr, that would work, too.

It's a no-risk play for him.

by Pete, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:05 (3417 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

For now, Kelly hasn't established a nomadic reputation a la Petrino or Graham, so he's free to use back-alley channels to whisper himself as a potential candidate for big-time openings. As you said, worst-case scenario is he gets his name mentioned with the most coveted open spots, best-case scenario is he gets more accommodation and scratch from either ND or Florida. Now, he can't play that card forever, but he's been fairly restrained in doing so so far. And hell, coaches have zero job security and the ficklest of foundations, so I don't blame anyone for getting what they can in this job while the getting is good.

If nothing else, the conversation around places like this can shift from "Do we need to worry about Kelly leaving?" as opposed to "Maybe we should think of someone other than Kelly?"

What does "garnering some buzz with" mean?

by HCE, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:40 (3417 days ago) @ Kevin

I'm less bothered by wild speculation than I am by meaningless phrases and misused prepositions.

And Les Miles is just itching to go back to AA.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:30 (3418 days ago) @ Kevin

F*ck off, "GatorBait.net".

It doesn't pass the sniff test for me. Why start with a

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:25 (3418 days ago) @ Kevin

new rebuilding project before you have finished the last one? Kelly leaving ND before next year would be like Michelangelo walking away two weeks before the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel was completed. Kelly has sweated blood to build next year's team -- next year looks like the first potentially really fun season on paper since he's been here. Even if he doesn't give a crap about ND (and I happen to think that he really does respect ND and likes coaching ND kids), why would he leave and let someone else reap the fruits of his labor.

Agreed.

by PMan @, The Banks of the Spokane River, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:40 (3417 days ago) @ BillyGoat

Would be silly to leave now after what he must have invested to build toward 2015.

He has to be on Foley's list

by DCT, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:21 (3418 days ago) @ Kevin

I'm not saying Kelly would be interested, but if Foley is really looking for an offensive coach, with big program experience.... there just are not that many names out there.

I don't think he has to be on the list

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:48 (3417 days ago) @ DCT

I guess there is an axiom that you need to aim high. But aiming for impossible is something that has negative consequences. See Strong, Charlie (Texas).

That's not to say he was a bad hire, but he pales in comparison to the desired targets. And frankly, Texas fans were really disappointed.

He's from Boston and coached in Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio

by CK08, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:15 (3418 days ago) @ Kevin

What is his "local connection to Gainesville?"

Also, even with the recent unpleasantness, do we really think ND would get out-bid?

His father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

by Pat (Moco), Bar, Urban Chophouse Short North, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:08 (3417 days ago) @ CK08

- No text -

The only connection I can imagine is his agent.

by Kevin @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:21 (3418 days ago) @ CK08

Who spent all of one year at UF.

Stampini apparently went on to claim Kelly is UF's #1 target. Does Luke Stampini have any credibility? I wonder if Loy or Wiltfong could shed some light on this.

it doesn't talk about interest the other way, either

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:26 (3418 days ago) @ Kevin

I heard Hub Arkush on Chicago Sports Radio yesterday say Kelly will take the first NFL job he's offered.

That at least makes sense

by CK08, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:38 (3418 days ago) @ HumanRobot

Florida would be a lateral move and would throw away everything he's been building at ND in favor of taking over yet another mess. The NFL would be a new challenge.

And taking the UF job would delay any NFL opportunity

by Bill, Murrieta, CA, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:48 (3417 days ago) @ CK08

If that was Kelly's ultimate goal.

One thing that concerns me about all of this

by Kevin @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:29 (3418 days ago) @ HumanRobot

Are NFL reporters just quoting each other and talking out of their asses, or is Trace Armstrong pushing any of this? I do know Hub and Trace are familiar with each other. When I start seeing Chicago and Florida based people pushing this "Kelly's looking around" message, it raises an eyebrow. No more, at this point, but I don't brush it off entirely.

it's always been Kelly's MO in all things

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:35 (3418 days ago) @ Kevin

to build a large 'option space' for himself and then to choose what he perceives to be the best and to maximize the leverage the other options might give him. Not just with jobs, but with recruiting and everything.

This was always a possibility, all things considered. Hopefully Swarbrick is building up his own 'option space' should the need arise.

My personal opinion, at least re UF: NFW

by Kevin @, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:39 (3417 days ago) @ HumanRobot

Why would you jump to another college team when your current team has a legitimate title chance next year?

If there's anything to take from this rumor, it's more your general takeaway -- Kelly might be creating a little space. If he were exploring an NFL jump, and found his phone going quiet after the NW game, this might be a way to juice some interest. Who knows. At this point, I don't take this rumor as anything more than a tiny cloud of smoke.

Just a regurgitation of the Mort Report.

by Bill, Murrieta, CA, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:15 (3418 days ago) @ Kevin

- No text -

I think Kelly and Mortenson have the same agent.

by Bryan (IrishCavan), Howth Castle and Environs, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:28 (3418 days ago) @ Bill

- No text -

They do - Trace Armstrong

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 07:30 (3418 days ago) @ Bryan (IrishCavan)

Who played at UF and lives in Gainesville.