front 7 numbers update

by Pat, in the cloud, Friday, July 30, 2010, 20:24 (5012 days ago)

As Jay noted in this thread

http://bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?id=23725

ND was dead last among getting front 7 bodies over two overlapping time periods (05-07 and 05-09). ND picked up 14 such players in the first 3 year time period and 28 in the larger 5 year time period.

Per year that came down to 4.7 and 5.6 front 7 players per year.

Looking at the recruiting class as it currently is (plus Lynch) with last year's class, ND has 14 already.

2011 - Burton, Carrico, Springmann, Councell, Rabasa, Lynch, Grace
2010 - Roback, Spond, Schwenke, Nix, Utupo, Shembo, Moore

That's 7 players per year (with the chance that ND will add one or two more hopefully in this class). Granted, some of those guys will move around in their career, but the first step to establishing depth is filling up the depth chart with bodies. That seems to be largely accomplished at this point.

Take a look at a way-too premature and quick rough draft 2011 depth chart. That's plenty of experienced talent and some excellent underclassmen depth.

OLB - Filer (sr). Fox (jr). Utupo (so). Roback (so). Rabasa (fr).
ILB - McDonald (sr). Calabrese (jr). Posluszny (jr)
ILB - Te'o (jr). Moore (so). Grace (fr).
OLB - Fleming (sr). Shembo. (so). Spond (so). Burton (fr). Councell (fr).

DE - E. Johnson (sr). Lynch (fr). Heggie (so). Carrico (fr).
NT - Nix (so). Cwynar (sr). Stockton (jr). Newman (sr).
DE - KLM (sr). H. Williams (sr). Schwenke (so). Springmann (fr).

28 players for 7 starting spots with only Fleming, Filer, and Ethan Johnson in their final year of eligibility. The other 25 players can return for 2012. If we can add someone like French and maybe another elite DE to that group...well, damn.

Tags:
front7

Found the same avg hauls...

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Saturday, July 31, 2010, 18:41 (5011 days ago) @ Pat

among last year's top rush defenses in total rush defense and in rush yrds/attempt defense.

http://www.herloyalsons.com/blog/2010/07/28/defending-against-a-deficit-the-state-of-nd...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0ArsQZZeqBv5adEctanhzSWR5VlZMZlNrSVEwVTA2LUE&am...

And even among all the teams planning to use a 3-4 base, I found an average haul of 6.94 front 7 players per year.

We're way, way down in numbers there.

--
Sometimes I rhyme slow sometimes I rhyme quick.

Tags:
front7

Carrico supposedly will play OL.

by MattyCinNYC, Parts Unknown, Saturday, July 31, 2010, 07:54 (5011 days ago) @ Pat

- No text -

another Kelly difference

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Saturday, July 31, 2010, 08:56 (5011 days ago) @ MattyCinNYC

How many guys did Charlie land who had similar positional speculation coming in? Kelly's gone after a number of guys, like Carrico, whom you could count towards the front 7 or move to the OL depending on what you need. I think it really highlights the "profile" approach that BK is taking to build out the depth. I also think it makes sense to keep Carrico in our "front 7" count for exactly that reason.

Nuss, Nwanko, Mullen

by JRT, Island of Misfit Toys, Saturday, July 31, 2010, 13:54 (5011 days ago) @ Jay
edited by JRT, Saturday, July 31, 2010, 16:40

Eric Olson a little bit, Fauria and Yeatman in my head if no one elses.

probably likely

by Pat, in the cloud, Saturday, July 31, 2010, 08:26 (5011 days ago) @ MattyCinNYC

but I think it will still depend on DE/OT numbers when he shows up. Landing a guy like Lynch probably makes the Carrico to OL move a bit easier.

Yeah agree. Pretty sure he is playing only OL this HS season

by MattyCinNYC, Parts Unknown, Saturday, July 31, 2010, 08:35 (5011 days ago) @ Pat

- No text -

Nice group, that.

by scriptcomesfirst @, Friday, July 30, 2010, 20:45 (5012 days ago) @ Pat

And to second your opinion... damn.