here's that first shallow cross Rice hit us with

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, September 01, 2014, 08:41 (3497 days ago)

should be cued up to the start. It's 3rd & 5 around the Rice 40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGNY9L3dq_o#t=1842

Jaylon & one of the safeties are going to blitz from the boundary side. Trumbetti (I assume that's Trumbetti) is standing up across from a WR/TE. He's going to drop into the middle zone.

[image]

Rice is going to run a shallow cross (or a borderline pick) with two guys coming across Trumbetti's face dragging him into the middle. The boundary WR is going to cross under and end up wide open.

[image]

The blitzes don't get home but in fairness this was a very quick pass. They just caught us with our pants down.

Tags:
cut-ups

was there an opening game in recent memory where

by JD in Portland @, Portland OR, Monday, September 01, 2014, 10:16 (3496 days ago) @ Jay

all we could find to concern ourselves with in aftermath was a single play?
Ok, we dropped 2 passes.
Seriously, that was a damn well played opener, especially for such a young team suddenly missing 4 experienced starters.
This post is a helpful look at the play however.

2012 Navy was cleaner.

by PAK, Monday, September 01, 2014, 12:42 (3496 days ago) @ JD in Portland

But given my thoughts coming into the season I'll take our performance against Rice any day. We have some unanswered questions on defense but the offense and special teams looked great.

Well, if you want complaints

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Monday, September 01, 2014, 10:21 (3496 days ago) @ JD in Portland

That Van Gorder fellow doesn't have the appearance of a Notre Dame coach. Looks like a used car salesman -- a Pontiac used car salesman.

That quarterback lacks the height and square jaw to be truly great (think: Matt Barkley), no matter his dipsy-doodle running around.

That receiver was one of two on long passes. Not good enough.

That Kelly was wearing a non-ND jacket during the storm. Embarrassing.

That field turf was clumpy in the rain. Not like grass, which is natural and perfect.

That kicker missed one. Fire him.

That walk-on linebacker missed a few plays. Rescind his scholarship.

Those safeties didn't talk to each other. Boo!

That other safety lied during the pep rally, and invoked Our Lady to do so. Sacrilege.

If you take away all our good plays, and all Rice's bad plays, they beat us.

Michigan is better, and will win.

Signed,

@ndgoldseats

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

You forgot chest thumping--too urban,

by Clay, Tuesday, September 02, 2014, 08:32 (3496 days ago) @ Greg

shows "me first" attitude.

Sideline hairstyles--too swoopy and appear to employ mousse, hairspray, or brylcream. Decidedly un-crewcutty.

Starting running back and linebacker have 3% body fat. Displays vanity and poor quantity of red meat and fried potatoes consumption. A man eats a steak.

Aforementioned Collinsworth wears a gold chain. Again, too urban.

No, you came here for an argument.

by irishoutsider @, Monday, September 01, 2014, 10:39 (3496 days ago) @ Greg

- No text -

You're not arguing, you're just contradicting

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Monday, September 01, 2014, 20:02 (3496 days ago) @ irishoutsider

- No text -

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

I think that's on Farley EDIT: Mostly Trumbetti

by Mike (bart), Monday, September 01, 2014, 09:07 (3496 days ago) @ Jay
edited by Mike (bart), Monday, September 01, 2014, 09:29

If you watch the play again, Schmidt does a really nice job of staying home in the weakside flat. Trumbetti has to trust his teammate there and do the same thing. Instead, he freaks out about letting the strongside slant cross his face, and actually even holds the guy. Both 398 and #41 needed to do a better job of maintaining discipline within their zones on the play, it looks like

Re Farley: Not egregiously, as it was a nice counter to our play call, but Farley looks to to have the intermediate zone (note his read steps at the start of the play, doesn't appear as though he is in man) and simply drifts inside with No.2 to his side, not realizing there is a crosser until it's too late.

BVG is throwing a lot at Trumbetti

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, September 01, 2014, 11:03 (3496 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

It's one thing to have a true freshman line up and rush the passer. But start on the DE, play run downs and passing downs, AND drop into coverage on zone blitzes? All in the first game?

I don't think he played all that much

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Monday, September 01, 2014, 11:13 (3496 days ago) @ Jay

At least in the first half. Saw a lot of Rabasa actually.

If you're going to do some charting, I can help more this year.

On another note, when Smith went out with the dislocated finger, Martini came in and got picked on....he just didn't have the speed to get to a back in the flat. Then they brought Onwualu to play alongside Schmidt and replace Martini. I found that interesting.

I disagree

by terribletr, Monday, September 01, 2014, 11:08 (3496 days ago) @ Jay

That is pretty basic stuff. Easily fixed.

that's good to know

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, September 01, 2014, 11:22 (3496 days ago) @ terribletr

It seems like much more responsibility than they have put on frosh DL in previous years.

The ball was caught at the line of scrimmage

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Monday, September 01, 2014, 09:29 (3496 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

Is that an intermediate coverage zone?

Looks like Trumbetti loses his zone and good play design has pulled Farley too far into the middle of the field.

Yeah, sorry, just edited

by Mike (bart), Monday, September 01, 2014, 09:31 (3496 days ago) @ MHB (Rakes of Mallow)

I think the immediate responsibility for letting the guy catch the ball falls on Trumbetti. Still, Farley should've been more available to make a play -- it's on him that this play went for 30+ yards instead of 6-8 yards. He winds up not defending anything or anybody on the play.

questions

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Monday, September 01, 2014, 08:54 (3496 days ago) @ Jay

Is it poor play design? Doesn't it just scream zone blitz? They even cheated Trumbetti to make it easier for him to drop into coverage and not get beat off the ball.

If you're going to cheat him like that, why not just run that with 3 DL...why even bother with the fourth if he's going to so obviously drop into coverage? Or is his cheating like that a result of the trips to that side?

In response to Terry below, are you saying he's supposed to sit in the zone and not play man/chase?

I'll hang up now and listen to the smarter people explain it.

Thoughts

by terribletr, Monday, September 01, 2014, 09:48 (3496 days ago) @ Spesh

1)Any blitz requires risk. It appears to me that ND sends 4 from the boundary here. Without seeing the play run, I can't tell if ND plays straight cover 3 or is playing a 3-2 combination coverage.
2) Trumbetti's job is to bang #3 and settle into seam/hook and buzz flat if #3 goes there. #3 runs a crossing route away from him, once that happens, Trumbetti should be looking for the crosser coming back to him, but because he over squeezes he can't see the route coming back.
3) Farley has to be aware of #2 to the trips side and is a deep 1/2 or deep 3rd defender.
4) This was a good play call against the defense called. The ball is going to go where you vacate. Just the way the game works.

Trumbetti also chased the crosser

by terribletr, Monday, September 01, 2014, 08:50 (3496 days ago) @ Jay

So they caught us in the blitz and we had a technique breakdown.