why did nobody tell me

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Monday, July 21, 2014, 19:39 (3538 days ago)

THEY'RE MAKING A MOVIE ABOUT ALAN TURING

HR, could you pass a Turing Test?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 11:03 (3537 days ago) @ HumanRobot

- No text -

no

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 11:08 (3537 days ago) @ Jay

I have a much better nightly test (sp?)

by KelleyCook @, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 11:14 (3537 days ago) @ HumanRobot

It's simple.

While watching the trailer were you hoping for Kira Knightley to fall into an English body of water with only her white shirt on?

If not then you are a robot.

Did you ask how to spell "nightly"?

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 14:00 (3537 days ago) @ KelleyCook

You failed.

That looks pretty good but unfortunately I now know

by GuinnessBob, The Dark Hedges, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 00:31 (3538 days ago) @ HumanRobot

every single plot point in the movie until the last ten minutes. Damn you Hollywood trailers!

Spoiler: The Allies won.

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 06:18 (3538 days ago) @ GuinnessBob

- No text -

--
Sometimes I rhyme slow sometimes I rhyme quick.

the real question

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 06:37 (3538 days ago) @ domer.mq

When is somebody going to make a Cryptonomicon TV Series?

Exactly what I thought of...

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 07:25 (3538 days ago) @ HumanRobot

when I first saw this trailer.

I'd actually pay for HBO if they did that. Hell, I'd buy HBO execs dinner if they did that plus an entire Quicksilver series.

--

Gosh, I would love that, but how filmable is it?

by PAK, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 06:43 (3538 days ago) @ HumanRobot

I love Stephenson more than any living writer but I don't think his stuff would translate to film very well.

REAMDE is the only thing he's written since Snow Crash that strikes me as remotely filmable, and even that would have to be a 9 hour mini series.

well another questionably filmable series has a shot...

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 07:53 (3538 days ago) @ PAK

I haven't read that one yet.

by PAK, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 08:31 (3538 days ago) @ HumanRobot

I'll probably hold off until the 3rd book is out. I've heard nothing but great things, though.

I think Stephenson books are a tough sell as a TV series because so much happens internally. Are TV viewers going to be okay with a scene devoted to one character describing how encryption works to another character? If you pull out all of those scenes, is it still really Cryptonomicon? Will his devoted fans still enjoy it?

That's why I suggest REAMDE as a better TV adaptation. There's a little bit of currency theory but it's couched in terms of video games which makes it more approachable, and there's a lot fewer technical digressions compared to his other large works (Cryptonomicon, Anathem, and the Baroque Cycle).

It still baffles me that nobody has done Snow Crash yet. Every year we inch closer and closer to the world of that book.

Neal is a very odd person; I doubt anyone can deal with him

by KelleyCook @, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 11:08 (3537 days ago) @ PAK

Their is no doubt that the Baroque Cycle could make an awesome HBO series.

But Woe-Be to the screenwriter who suggests that maybe they gloss over that first book with Daniel Waterhouse and Enoch Root discussing physicks at the pre-cursor to MIT and jump right into the much more interesting Jack and Liza stuff.

He'd get stabbed in the eye with a quill pen.

I actually think a lot of Cryptonomicon...

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 07:26 (3538 days ago) @ PAK

would have to be changed up for today's audience. The "current day" stuff is too close to our current day to construct it in a "period piece" fashion, I think, but too much has changed in the technology landscape to make it connect with reality the way the book did when it was published.

--

I'm just glad they're making a movie about him

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 05:53 (3538 days ago) @ GuinnessBob

I'm positive they'll botch quite a bit -- by the looks of it overplaying Joan Clarke and I imagine they'll wildly underplay why he was killed. Regardless, I'm glad that he's getting the attention he richly deserves. He, Von Neumann, and Shannon are likely the three most influential scientists/mathematicians that have largely stayed out of the mainstream. I know that Tesla gets the love for being the wacky Russian that invented crazy things, but it's a shame The Oatmeal can't get a Shannon museum going.

um, spoiler alert?

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 10:17 (3537 days ago) @ HumanRobot

I saw the trailer, but for as much as it showed, it didn't include his death. But now I know that somehow comes in at the end.

Can you really spoil someone's actual life?

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 10:28 (3537 days ago) @ Spesh

Anyway, his post World War II life is incredibly tragic.

from the sound of it

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 10:38 (3537 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

It sounded like he was killed at the end of WWII...which is probably where the movie ends.

I have no idea if he'll die in the movie or not

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 11:08 (3537 days ago) @ Spesh

But his real life death is incredibly sad.

[Alan Turing's life spoiler]

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 11:18 (3537 days ago) @ HumanRobot
edited by Jim (fisherj08), Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 11:22

The most Hollywood ending would have the final scene being Turing and company cracking the Enigma Machine...then have a slide that states "Alan Turing was knighted, then found guilty of homosexuality, chemically castrated, and he later probably killed himself."

EDIT: JESUS per wikipedia Turing was only pardoned in 2013.

EDIT 2: also per wikipedia, the film will in fact cover his post-war life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imitation_Game

I love the opening scene of the other trailer

by FunkDoctorSpock, Your Nightmares, B* tches, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 06:15 (3538 days ago) @ HumanRobot
edited by FunkDoctorSpock, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 06:23

When he is being interrogated by the English police:

"Um, I have been sworn to secrecy about what I did during the war, shithead. Read between the lines, dummy."

an early review I read was positive

by Pat, in the cloud, Monday, July 21, 2014, 19:58 (3538 days ago) @ HumanRobot

but I couldn't tell if the writer actually saw the movie or was just an algorithm.

How did you not know?

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Monday, July 21, 2014, 19:46 (3538 days ago) @ HumanRobot

I feel like everything's coming up Cumberbatch in pop culture these days.

--

Looking forward to 'Black Mass'

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 08:45 (3537 days ago) @ domer.mq
edited by hobbs, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 09:04

w/Depp (Whitey Bulger), Cumberbatch (Bill Bulger - MA state senator), and Joel Edgerton (FBI agent who shielded Whitey from prosecution). Scott Cooper directs and he did a pretty good job with his first two releases: Crazy Heart & Out of the Furnace.

And is that Branson behind him?

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Monday, July 21, 2014, 21:34 (3538 days ago) @ domer.mq

- No text -

And Tywin Lannsiter.

by PMan @, The Banks of the Spokane River, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 07:50 (3538 days ago) @ BillyGoat

Pretty much every working British actor on leave from a TV show.