the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

SBT report on campus construction projects

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 10:42
edited by Jay, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 11:23

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/keynewsn/education/notre-dame-s-list-of-new-...

Notre Dame's list of new buildings, renovations tops $712 million

MARGARET FOSMOE South Bend Tribune mfosmoe@sbtinfo.com | Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 7:21 am

SOUTH BEND -- A building boom is about to begin at the University of Notre Dame, which plans to spend more than $712 million on new construction and renovation projects during the next five years.

"It's 1.3 million square feet of new space," said John Affleck-Graves, the university's executive vice president, who described the latest campus master plan.

In addition to new buildings, there will be at least 100,000 square feet of substantial renovation work in Hesburgh Library.

The projects are expected to provide many jobs, offering a boost to the economy and the area building trades.

The scheduled projects include:

* An $88 million interdisciplinary research facility.
* A $40 million renovation of Hesburgh Library.
* The $400 million Campus Crossroads project that will add three academic and student life buildings on the exterior of Notre Dame Stadium, and add premium seating for fans and outdoor terraces overlooking the football field.
* A $80 million academic complex to house social sciences and international institutes.
* A $39.6 million new home for the School of Architecture.
* Two new undergraduate residence halls, costing a total of $40 million.
* Work already under way totaling $25 million to extend utilities to the planned new buildings.

The first project to break ground, in fall 2014, will be a large research facility to be built on part of the parking lot east of Hesburgh Library. The 200,000-square-foot facility will contain laboratory space for science and engineering research. Its construction will be the start of what is expected to be an East Quadrangle on campus.

Later this year, a $40 million renovation of Hesburgh Library will begin with the first and second floors. Full renovation of the entire 51-year-old library could take five to 10 years. The project will include adding a north entrance, which will make for access to the library on all four sides.

"The modern library is more about working space, so we want to get more light into the building," Affleck-Graves said. The library's main concourse is slated to change dramatically. Some walls will be removed, glass added and ceiling space opened to the second floor, allowing more natural light to flood the concourse.

Stadium project

The Campus Crossroads project, approved in February, is a massive undertaking that will add three academic and student life buildings on the exterior of Notre Dame Stadium. The new buildings totaling 750,000 square feet will be added to the exterior of the stadium, and include premium seating for fans and outdoor terraces overlooking the football field on the top floors of both the east and west buildings.

Construction is expected to start within two years.

The project will include a nine-story student center/student life building on the west side. The existing press box will be renovated into a premium seating area for the football stadium.The upper floors will contain boxes for home and visiting coaches, security booths, and boxes for administrative and athletic department leaders.

A nine-story anthropology/psychology/digital media center will be constructed on the east side. The upper floors will contain the stadium press box, outdoor club seating for football fans, outdoor terraces, and a large space that will double as a club area and a flexible classroom, and radio booths.

A six-story music building will be constructed on the south side. The department of music and sacred music program will move to this facility, which will include recital and rehearsal halls, a music library and a 350-seat club/lounge.

The project may result in an increase of 3,000 to 4,000 seats in the stadium, increasing the total current capacity of 80,795. Improvements may slightly reduce the seating capacity in the current seating bowl of the stadium, so a total new capacity figure isn't yet determined.

Jenkins Hall

A 175,000-square-foot project on Notre Dame Avenue will result in two interconnected buildings, Jenkins Hall and Nanovic Hall. Jenkins Hall, named in honor of the Rev. John I. Jenkins, Notre Dame's president, will house the Keough-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies and Liu Institute for Asia & Asian Studies, as well as provide additional space for the Kellogg Institute for International Studies and Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies. Nanovic Hall will house the departments of economics, political science and sociology, as well as the Nanovic Institute for European Studies.

Walsh Family Hall of Architecture, a 60,000-square-foot building, will be the new home for the School of Architecture. It will be built east of DeBartolo Performing Arts Center. The architect who will design that building has not yet been announced.

Two new undergraduate residence halls -- one for men and one for women -- will be constructed northeast of Hesburgh Library.

The campus currently houses about 6,400 undergraduates, and the two new dorms will add about 470 beds. To meet demand for undergraduate housing, the university has had to take study lounges and social lounges in some residence halls and convert them to student rooms, Affleck-Graves said. The two new halls will allow those spaces to revert to their original uses, he said.

A new 720-space campus parking lot is being constructed on formerly wooded land at the southwest corner of Twyckenham Drive and Bulla Road. That will provide more spaces than the approximate 600 the campus will lose with construction of the research building, according to Doug Marsh, an associate vice president and university architect.

The student center that will be built as part of Campus Crossroads will include student recreational sports and fitness facilities. After Campus Crossroads is complete, Rolfs Sports Recreation Center, the current student fitness center, will be renovated to become a practice facility for the men's and women's varsity basketball teams. A price tag and start date for that project has not been determined.

Wish list

Notre Dame also has a "wish list" of potential future campus construction projects, Affleck-Graves said. That list includes building projects that administrators have on the drawing board and hope will be funded for construction at a later date.

Those possible future projects include:

* The first-ever campus parking garage, with 1,000 parking spaces, targeted to be built on the parking lot just south of Stepan Center.

* An additional interdisciplinary research building, smaller and just east of the one that will be built on part of the Hesburgh Library parking lot.

* A new campus art museum, slated for the northeast corner of Angela Boulevard and Eddy Street, just west of the campus sculpture park.

* An addition to Innovation Park at Notre Dame, the high-tech business incubator near the intersection of Angela Boulevard and Twyckenham Drive.

Notre Dame partnered with Kite Realty Group to create Eddy Street Commons, the retail-office-residential "college town" development that opened in 2009 along Eddy Street just south of campus. Eddy Commons might expand some day to the south, but the parties involved are just starting to think about those plans, Affleck-Graves said.

The original Eddy Commons plan called for a high-end hotel to be constructed along Angela, just north of the development's parking garage. That hotel plan was shelved because of the recession. "If the economy can continue to sustain this recovery, I'm confident we'll eventually get (the hotel)," Affleck-Graves said.

Notre Dame leaders remain committed to keeping Twyckenham Drive as the east edge of campus, and to not making substantial changes to the historic central part of campus or adding more buildings on the banks of the two campus lakes, Affleck-Graves said.

"We want to do the best we can," he said, "to keep this a pedestrian campus."

Tags:
campus, crossroads

I'm most worried about confusion

by Jack @, Monday, April 28, 2014, 07:52 @ Jay

They named Welsh Family Hall that name instead of Welsh Hall so it wouldn't be confused with Walsh Hall. Now there's going to be Walsh Family Hall.

What is going to happen to Bond and O'Shag?

by CK08, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 14:33 @ Jay

Maybe internal renovations to Bond and O'Shag aren't as economical as building new buildings for the architecture school and some of those A&L departments, but those two new buildings seem like campus sprawl.

I like that one of the parking lots on Eddy is going to be filled in, but couldn't the research building go there?

New art museum still on the "wish list."

by PMan, The Banks of the Spokane River, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 13:57 @ Jay

And falling further behind the other Top 50 universities and their respective art museums.

art is for sissies

by JD in Portland ⌂, Portland OR, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 14:19 @ PMan

The only thing worse is the spread offense.

To be followed up by

by IrishGuard, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 12:15 @ Jay

the inevitable sad-sack victim letter from Fr. Jenkins to parents lamenting the escalating costs of tuition.

"Due to rising educational costs across the country, we feel that this year's increase of only 6% is reasonably in line with increases at peer institut...blah, blah, blah, fuck off pay us."

exactly

by JD in Portland ⌂, Portland OR, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 14:10 @ IrishGuard

[ No text ]

"premium seating for fans"

by JD in Portland ⌂, Portland OR, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 10:49 @ Jay

Fans? That's what we're calling 8 figure salary corporate CEOs these days?
"Sanition expert and a maintenance engineer..."

Rich folks can't be fans?

by Eric M, Western New York, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 11:10 @ JD in Portland

[ No text ]

---
-Ya boy Jackmerius Tacktheritrix

sure they can

by JD in Portland ⌂, Portland OR, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 13:51 @ Eric M
edited by JD in Portland, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 17:15

But we don't have to spend a couple hundred mill just to accommodate them.
Don't treat me special, don't kiss my ass.
Treat me like the way they treat them up in first class.

Struttin' up the aisle, big deal, you get to fly.

by GuinnessBob, The Dark Hedges, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 20:55 @ JD in Portland

[ No text ]

Not mentioned, but also planned

by LaFortune Teller ⌂ @, South Bend, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 10:47 @ Jay

renovations to LaFortune Student Center.

is there an updated master plan that's public?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 10:57 @ LaFortune Teller

The master plan webpage still has the 2008 version as the latest update.

Who needs a plan?

by Mike (bart), Monday, April 28, 2014, 06:32 @ Jay

We've got all this money and all these great ideas!

I apologize for the snark, but I want to keep banging this drum: it would serve the university well to enlist the advice of a party or parties who might be predisposed against all this rapid-fire construction. I know that seems funny given the curmudgeonly streak in ND's alumni population, but as nearly as I can tell nobody with an anti- (or at least "put the brakes on") development perspective has been meaningfully engaged regarding all these projects.

there are projects on hold, per the article

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, April 28, 2014, 09:52 @ Mike (bart)

What would you propose delaying/canceling?

Almost all of them

by Mike (bart), Monday, April 28, 2014, 10:35 @ Jay

As I've laid out in other threads, I think ND's campus planning process is rotten at the root right now. Basically, it seems that they're only including "growth machine" constituencies in their deliberations, which is leading to a deck slanted towards more and more rapid building. NDXC is, to me, a perfect example: a true "one size fits all" project that creates some very real logical headscratchers (e.g., why, on one of the most beautiful campuses in America, is it ideal to consolidate as many social/lifestyle uses as possible under one roof?).

Further, I think the University is quite possibly confusing prudence (e.g., "we won't build any projects until all the construction funds are in hand") with wisdom (e.g., "We waited until we had all the money in hand to build this, so we are of course being judicious in deciding to move forward."). Were I prince for a day, I would have ND hit the pause button for about one year on many/most of these developments and engage in a more robust, inclusive planning process before moving forward. luckily, ND isn't a municipality or beholden to public process, so such a move would bring a virtually no risk of any of these projects getting caught up in development hell.

That said, here's the stuff outlined that I think it would make sense to move forward with immediately:

- $40M renovation of Hesburgh Library. This obviously has to happen sooner or later and doesn't present m/any footprint concerns. I say get going.

- $40M Two new undergraduate residence halls. Need is documented and widely observed.

- $32M (ballpark) for Campus parking garage near Stepan. I think this is long overdue and, like Hesburgh was going to have to happen sooner or later. Also doesn't run you into m/any footprint concerns.

- I think the Campus Art Museum isn't a bad idea, provided they have plans for what to do with the current Snite space. As CK08 and others have noted, it makes sense to fill in the gaps along Eddy sooner rather than later. Should be the main strategic campus development focus, imo. Call it, I dunno, $55M.

- I think you could slot the Innovation Park expansion in the "ready to go" category, possibly, since most of the planning work was already done back in the initial ESC proposal.

So, with all that, ND would have to keep its pants zipped up and "only" embark on ~$200M in campus construction in the immediate future. Right now, it just seems like they're getting caught up in building lust, which concerns me (and I say this as someone who would give Jenkins very high marks for his performance in office so far). Again, mistakes written in stone don't go away. Measure twice, build once.

you're asking a lot of good questions, but

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 11:43 @ Mike (bart)
edited by Jay, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 11:55

I think you're also making a lot of assumptions. You kicked off the subthread asking if enough planning has gone into this. Since we're not privy to the project details, we don't know either way. We do know that some of these things have been on the books for years (or decades). I assume some there's at least some level of planning under them.

You also assume the right stakeholders weren't engaged, and that they ought to delay to be more inclusive. Since we don't know who was involved along the way, and the decision has been made, this is a moot point in my opinion. And regardless of who was involved, the buck stops with Jenkins and JAG.

Finally, you listed the things you think should get the greenlight, based on your impression of how much of a need they are. That's fine, but why would we presume to know that a Hesburgh renovation (green light by you) is more of a priority than a new research facility (red light), without being involved in the project or hearing more about the justification?

Anyway, we can all put together our own campus wish list, but there is obviously a real life development case behind each of these projects. Some of the items are easy to justify from afar (parking, library), others probably require some knowledge of the details for a solid thumbs-up or -down.

Well, yeah I'm making assumptions

by Mike (bart), Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 13:48 @ Jay

I think you're also making a lot of assumptions. You kicked off the subthread asking if enough planning has gone into this. Since we're not privy to the project details, we don't know either way. We do know that some of these things have been on the books for years (or decades). I assume some there's at least some level of planning under them.

You also assume the right stakeholders weren't engaged, and that they ought to delay to be more inclusive. Since we don't know who was involved along the way, and the decision has been made, this is a moot point in my opinion. And regardless of who was involved, the buck stops with Jenkins and JAG.

Finally, you listed the things you think should get the greenlight, based on your impression of how much of a need they are. That's fine, but why would we presume to know that a Hesburgh renovation (green light by you) is more of a priority than a new research facility (red light), without being involved in the project or hearing more about the justification?

Anyway, we can all put together our own campus wish list, but there is obviously a real life development case behind each of these projects. Some of the items are easy to justify from afar (parking, library), others probably require some knowledge of the details for a solid thumbs-up or -down.

I don't really have much other recourse. that said, I feel as though my assumptions are at least kind of good, or I wouldn't bother with making them. Obviously, all these projects have some level of planning going into them, but there's good planning and there's rotten planning. "Let's make a list of things we want and then figure out how to get them" is a plan, but again, I would say it's not a great one. You're correct in saying we don't know who was involved along the way, but again, we can guess:

The University formed a committee of faculty and space management experts to collect and vet proposals for academic occupants of the Campus Crossroads Project. Many proposals were received from the colleges and schools and culled from the existing strategic plans of the University, colleges, and schools. Each proposal was carefully examined by the committee and a team of architects and building consultants to determine which provided the best uses for the CCP space and best reflected the existing priorities in the University Strategic Plan

That's who ND is telling us was involved. Look at that list again, tell me where is the natural constituency for putting the brakes on things? Now, it's possible that ND did a substantive amount of meaningful outreach to such populations (ND alumni, the local community, etc.) but consider that no one on the famously ND alumni and/or SB resident heavy interwebs has any firsthand knowledge of such outreach. Secondly, outreach to naturally opposed groups is good PR -- it makes no sense that ND would seek out disparate voices, consider their input seriously, potentially make meaningful concessions or adjustments to plans, and then never mention it to anyone. We'd be talking public relations malpractice.

To your second-to-last paragraph: obviously nobody is going to loop me in on months/years of University deliberations over these projects. You asked what I'd put a stop on/move forward with. Given the assumptions that I'd already written out, I wrote out my answers, supporting them with a couple of sentences of reasoning thereafter. Is that armchair quarterbacking? Of course! Just because we've properly tagged me or folks like ndroman, ck08, jd et al. as an armchair QB here, though, doesn't necessarily mean we're out to lunch. I mean, isn't that kind of the whole existential purpose of this board?

I am happy to endorse a new art museum, et al if

by IrishGuard, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 05:32 @ Mike (bart)

and only if:

a.) faculty is being compensated justly;
b.) faculty teaching loads are spread out so that teaching never has to take a back seat to research. If this means hiring more faculty, even "teaching" faculty (as dumbass as it sounds to talk about "teaching faculty"), so be it;
c.) that adjuncts are kept to a minimum, and/or at least compensated above market rate;
d.) that the "blue collar" employee sector of the university is compensated justly, and not simply at the lowest price at which ND can retain their services; This includes dining hall workers, cleaning staff, maintenance staff, etc.;
e.) that concrete moves are being made to cap undergraduate tuition, if not scaled back, by creating funds dedicated specifically toward this purpose;
f.) that graduate stipeds are generous and hefty tuition remission is the norm;
g.) that students are never crammed 30 to a room, in antiquated classrooms with old, falling apart desks and worn out chalkboards.

etc.

I really don't think the art museum is the right target

by Mike (bart), Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 06:25 @ IrishGuard

here:

- For one thing, making cultural expressions such as artwork curated and available to the wider world falls (in my mind, at least) fairly within the core functions of a university.

- For another, an art museum can actually bring several types of immediate value, both to the university (new facility, room to attract/display better collections, improving campus life, etc.) and the community (again, an art museum would be an ideal fit for the "row of missing teeth" between the south end of campus and ESC. ND would get both a geographic and cultural connector to South Bend and the ESC mega-development. Just a smart play, imo.

- I don't disagree with any of the priority list you set out, but given the fungability of money, I would argue that it would be preferable to fast track a project like a new art museum, and maybe look at where $70M could be cut out of the Campus Crossroads project, for instance. There are several projects in that development that are further from a University's core functions and of less evident strategic value than something like a new art museum.

Good points

by Tim, Chicago, IL, Monday, April 28, 2014, 12:52 @ Mike (bart)

[ No text ]

Not that I've seen.

by LaFortune Teller ⌂ @, South Bend, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 11:03 @ Jay

[ No text ]

are they bringing back Rampart?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 10:47 @ LaFortune Teller

[ No text ]

No idea what that is.

by LaFortune Teller ⌂ @, South Bend, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 10:48 @ Jay

[ No text ]

along with Cyberball

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 10:49 @ LaFortune Teller

one of the few standup arcade games in the basement in the early 90s.

Ha, Rampart was great. Do you know Norm Conley from StLouis?

by GuinnessBob, The Dark Hedges, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 13:21 @ Jay

He loved it so much he bought one for his home. I think he still has it.

I was more of a Race Drivin' addict

by KelleyCook @, quite pleased with Nov 8th, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 13:19 @ Jay

Probably the most realistic arcade car simulator ever made. They look much better now, but they don't feel like you're driving a real car. Every other one cheats in the name of "fun"

The fact that it took a while to get remotely good at was probably why it was a commercial failure. But LaFun had one of about 350 of the cockpit ones made.

Alas, it did not emerge as a priority in the master plan.

by LaFortune Teller ⌂ @, South Bend, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 10:52 @ Jay

[ No text ]

is there still a pool hall down there?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 10:54 @ LaFortune Teller

[ No text ]

Gorch Games Room

by LaFortune Teller ⌂ @, South Bend, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 11:04 @ Jay

https://twitter.com/LaFortuneND/status/267311686837485569

Pool table, pop-a-shot machines, air hockey, shuffle board, dome hockey.

Unless I die very young

by Deshi Basara, Indy, Monday, April 28, 2014, 07:10 @ LaFortune Teller

I will own a dome hockey game in my house one day. I'm determined.

Bubble Hockey is shockingly expensive

by KelleyCook @, quite pleased with Nov 8th, Monday, April 28, 2014, 08:05 @ Deshi Basara

A year ago I looked into buying one for our game room. Real Bubble Hockey (with the required boo button) go for about $3000 new and not that much cheaper for used ones in working order.

Kids got a pop-a-shot instead.

Well, shit

by Deshi Basara, Indy, Monday, April 28, 2014, 08:48 @ KelleyCook

That's more expensive than I was expecting.

I'll just have fewer kids than I was planning on having. It's cheaper, and it will allow more time for me to play bubble hockey. Win-win...win.

Pretty serious upgrade from what they had in the '80s

by Mark, Cloud City, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 14:45 @ LaFortune Teller

back when me and my buddies used to bike over to campus/Gorch to play some games.

It felt more like a tile floored closet back then.

They need a Cyber Sled to take it to a higher level.

by GuinnessBob, The Dark Hedges, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 13:24 @ LaFortune Teller

[ No text ]

interactive map

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Sunday, April 27, 2014, 10:46 @ Jay

The crane for the Proposed Parking garage…

by KelleyCook @, quite pleased with Nov 8th, Monday, April 28, 2014, 08:11 @ Jay

really needs to accidentally swing to far to the North and "accidentally" eliminate that stubborn circle.

Stepan is modern man's Stonehenge.

by PAK, Monday, April 28, 2014, 08:15 @ KelleyCook

It will outlast us all. 5,000 years from now they will wonder what grand purpose it served, never suspecting it hosted many a super lame University-sponsored concert.

Archaeologists will be puzzled as to

by Jack @, Monday, April 28, 2014, 09:22 @ PAK

the preponderance of strange gray triangles strewn among the ruins.

Was it a house of worship? Did the three sides of the triangles represent the Holy Trinity?

374368 Postings in 32685 Threads, 204 registered users, 87 users online (0 registered, 87 guests)
Contact