best of the turf debates

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, April 14, 2014, 08:26 (3659 days ago)

October, 2009: Spesh becomes the first person to bring up field turf on TPG:
http://www.bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?id=5341

another thread on the state of the field, circa late 2009
http://www.bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?mode=thread&id=9578

November, 2010, an early variation on what will become the Field Turf insta-thread, replayed dozens of times over the next few years (includes a rare reference to the "Sodfather")
http://www.bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?mode=thread&id=36425

April, 2011: Kevin polls the polletariat, and finds Field Turf registers nearly nil among a host of other Concerns:
http://www.bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?mode=thread&id=53371

June 30, 2011: Frank drops a Tradition Bomb:
http://www.bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?id=57710

August, 2013: Kelly trolls the fan base
http://www.bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?id=104643

also August, 2013: Slainte bitchslaps millenials and geezers alike:
http://www.bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?id=104733

Is it just me or are there alot of recent

by Grantland, y'allywood, Monday, April 14, 2014, 12:47 (3658 days ago) @ Jay

changes to the old "traditions" important or not, good or bad.

- Hats with shamrocks;
- Hats that were not all gold;
- x-roads;
- early enrollees;
- training table;
- luxury boxes;
- turf.

One by itself does not bother me. But is seems like the cumulative effect is getting on my nerves.

Not a judgment just an observation.

I hate to reply to my own post, we got off on

by Grantland, y'allywood, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:21 (3658 days ago) @ Grantland

specific things when my real point was there have been lots of changes. To each one I have thought to myself, change is good, that will bring us into the modern day.

The turf gets on my nerves more than the other minor/little changes. I think it is because it comes on the heels of the luxury boxes, early enrolls, the ND Football Stadium/Arts/PE/music/lafortuneplex, etc.

I ain't burning my diploma or anything, just that there has been a lot of change for an old guy. It is probably good, but I am having a little nostalgic moment here and all you youngins (and oldens) are busting my balls.

I just need a damn hug.

It Takes Change to Make Change

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:03 (3658 days ago) @ Grantland

- No text -

I think you're where I've been

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:53 (3658 days ago) @ Grantland

For me, it's less an issue with Notre Dame as much as what it seems to take to compete in college football. Are there any successful programs out there that don't do a training table or have early enrollees?

but at the same time

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:04 (3658 days ago) @ HumanRobot

Notre Dame never was an institution of Tradition. I don't think this was ever a place -- at least when it's at its best -- that looks to the past for answers. When you look back closely enough through the lens of history, you realize how much the school transformed in response to the world and the world in response to ND, be it on matters of race, gender, uniform colors, team travel, education, etc. Notre Dame isn't wonderful because it's the same as it was in the 20 or 50 or 100 years ago. It's wonderful because it isn't.

I always feel like 'tradition' is some attempt to lock the school in the Reagan era. Have we ever established the real lifetime on the players mass/walk? Painting the helmets? The helmet raise? The post game alma mater sway? The mums? The white lines on the field? These are things that have been happening for a while, but that gets conflated to 'always'.

I've tried to say it before, but if there's anything that's a Tradition at Notre Dame, it's excellence, innovation, but most importantly it's Catholic character.

Tags:
potpourri, tradition

Agree and nice post.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 06:50 (3658 days ago) @ HumanRobot
edited by Grantland, Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 06:55

And most of the things I think twice about are in light of whether or not it is in line with the Catholic Character or, if not, is it that big of a deal? I think the same thought process but a lot more of it goes on with the actual decisions makers.

These are off the top of my head and are not meant as my final opinion (as I said, I ain't burning my diploma) and they are also snippets and examples (not the entire idea) of my thought processes:

Training Table, "breaking bread" with the ND Family (I really do not feel it is a huge huge deal but a consideration);
Luxury Boxes, I can't remember but it may have been Port who best described it in relation to whether or not it is "Catholic";
EE - the kids getting ahead of themselves - wanting to grow up too fast;

Oversigning - what do we do to the kids who don't make it;

Athletic Dorms - extreme example that will never happen.

I don't think it is as cut and dry as the discussion seems to have implied, otherwise all of this would have happened long ago.

Perfect

by Busco21, Monday, April 14, 2014, 19:10 (3658 days ago) @ HumanRobot

- No text -

Good post

by Tim, Chicago, IL, Monday, April 14, 2014, 18:51 (3658 days ago) @ HumanRobot

- No text -

A thousand times, yes.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Monday, April 14, 2014, 18:41 (3658 days ago) @ HumanRobot

- No text -

There you go again.

by Glass, Monday, April 14, 2014, 18:00 (3658 days ago) @ HumanRobot

It is like the 80s. Blame Reagan for everything!

Excellent. And correct.

by Bill, Murrieta, CA, Monday, April 14, 2014, 17:46 (3658 days ago) @ HumanRobot

- No text -

This fall's seniors will have had Crazy Train in the

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Monday, April 14, 2014, 15:04 (3658 days ago) @ HumanRobot

Stadium for all four years.

And one tradition that has overstayed its welcome by about 20 years is the 1812. It should have been retired with Lou out of respect to him (I know it didn't originate with him). But it's become a cartoon with three terrible coaches since him and now one that is reviled by a decent chunk of the fanbase. Plus, nobody knows what the hell to do with their hands.

I still miss the helmet raise.

by Slainte Joe @, Raleigh, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:37 (3658 days ago) @ HumanRobot

Not because it was tradition, but because it was understated and elegant and fucking awesome.

Gladiatorial

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Monday, April 14, 2014, 18:04 (3658 days ago) @ Slainte Joe

And I mean that in a good way. I liked it too.

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

Gladiators in Under Armour?

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 07:44 (3658 days ago) @ Brendan

- No text -

Well said.

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:34 (3658 days ago) @ HumanRobot

- No text -

Yes, you hear where I am coming from.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:07 (3658 days ago) @ HumanRobot

Harper and Rockne were innovators.

Super-very-Exactly!!!!

by Grantland, y'allywood, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:00 (3658 days ago) @ HumanRobot
edited by Grantland, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:08

Especially when my Alabama fans excuse for the oversigning-bs is, "it's a business bubba, it's a business." I HATE that answer - as true as it may be.

that's three more exclamation points than allowed

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:03 (3658 days ago) @ Grantland

- No text -

Just be glad he didn't say Eggzackaly, or similar.

by Tim, Chicago, IL, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:06 (3658 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

He was really in agreement.

by PMan @, The Banks of the Spokane River, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:05 (3658 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Two of those (at least) were not "traditions"

by Jack @, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:28 (3658 days ago) @ Grantland

Training table and early enrollment has nothing to do with tradition one way or the other.

Shamrock helmets.

by PAK, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:54 (3658 days ago) @ Jack

[image]

And those two are important for winning games

by CK08, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:42 (3658 days ago) @ Jack

Nutrition and getting players into school and practice a semester early (if they want to do that) are both important in actually putting a winning product on the field.

Also neither one of them hurts ND's mission in any way.

I think an all athletic dorm may help those things too.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:44 (3658 days ago) @ CK08

- No text -

Perhaps, but that is clearly contrary to ND's mission.

by Slainte Joe @, Raleigh, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:56 (3658 days ago) @ Grantland

- No text -

Agreed and that is why I choose the example.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:05 (3658 days ago) @ Slainte Joe

It is where (to me) the slope could lead - if, as we discussed above, it's just a business and we do what we have to do to make it work.

Look, I love a good slippery slope argument.

by Slainte Joe @, Raleigh, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:08 (3658 days ago) @ Grantland

But you can make reasonable and minor accommodations like a training table and early enrollment without greasing the skids for athletic dorms and hooker hostesses.

Was a training table considered "minor" twenty years ago.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:12 (3658 days ago) @ Slainte Joe
edited by Grantland, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:22

I do not even remember.

I'm not worried about that.

by Slainte Joe @, Raleigh, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:24 (3658 days ago) @ Grantland

Notre Dame's mission is to preserve the integrity of the student-athlete as an integral part of the larger university community. Athletic dorms are anathema to that standard. I've never heard *anyone* affiliated with Notre Dame respond to the idea with anything but revulsion.

I suppose it's possible that athletic dorms could become less repugnant if we compromise the standard, but I certainly don't see it as even a remote possibility.

How about oversigning? Could that happen at ND?

by Grantland, y'allywood, Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 06:29 (3658 days ago) @ Slainte Joe

- No text -

Nope, and not having one is a selling point I think

by Jack @, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:54 (3658 days ago) @ Grantland

I've never heard of a Notre Dame player or coach in any sport pining for an athletic dorm.

An athletic dorm would be a departure from tradition.

I don't think you can rely on "tradition" for this argument.

by Slainte Joe @, Raleigh, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:29 (3658 days ago) @ Jack

Athletic dorms aren't just a departure from our tradition; they are completely contrary to our ethos. We cannot have athletic dorms and remain who we are.

Corey Robinson

by CK08, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:13 (3658 days ago) @ Jack

was just quoted this weekend saying how much he likes being in a "regular" dorm.

what we need are more PLS majored players

by JD in Portland @, Portland OR, Monday, April 14, 2014, 16:41 (3658 days ago) @ CK08

We may go 9-3, have a patty cake offense, suck at punt returns and have a purple-hued Shanty mick ND-hatin head coach, but we are the best read mofos in college football!

2014 prediction:

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Monday, April 14, 2014, 18:11 (3658 days ago) @ JD in Portland

Corey Robinson will quote Erasmus in an on-field interview. And it will work.

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

Hopefully, it won't be in reference to Kelly's play-calling.

by Slainte Joe @, Raleigh, Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 07:14 (3658 days ago) @ Brendan

Ba dum ching!

Corey: "Concealed talent brings no reputation."

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 09:17 (3658 days ago) @ Slainte Joe

Alex: "What does that mean?"
Corey: "It means THROW ME THE DAMN BALL, COACH!"

--

Eh, not that much

by CK08, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:47 (3658 days ago) @ Grantland

Plus that would, in fact, be contrary to ND's mission.

OK

by Grantland, y'allywood, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:33 (3658 days ago) @ Jack

But it was ND's way and it was different than how most of the rest of the world does things - and now it is not different - or at least not as different.

"But Notre Dame football players ALWAYS

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:32 (3658 days ago) @ Jack

eat with the student body!"

Sure it did.

In fact, they didn't when I was at ND

by Jack @, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:29 (3658 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

The players all ate together for dinner in the North Dining Hall after practice under Devine, and was called "Training Table". The only time they didn't was when the was no practice during part of second semester, before spring practice started and after the Blue-Gold game.

I don't want to focus on one issue, that was certainly not

by Grantland, y'allywood, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:38 (3658 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

my point but, I know when I was there, we often (once a week maybe - once every two weeks) sat around the Dining Hall shooting the shit. By the time we left the football players were in there with us. On more than one occasion friends on the team "snuck" us whatever they were eating. Then we would go screw around with them, or study or whatever. Can they even do that now? It really sounds stupid, but I think it made them more a part of the Student Body than they are now.

Another change that may help the team is the football facility which is now a club?

I am just spit balling, but it is damn sure different now.

Yes, they can still do that now

by CK08, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:40 (3658 days ago) @ Grantland

They don't eat every meal at the training table. Just post-practice dinner, mostly.

I was talking about post practice dinners.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:45 (3658 days ago) @ CK08

They are not allowed to eat more than one training table meal per day are they?

I think that's right

by CK08, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:48 (3658 days ago) @ Grantland

I'm just saying they can still hang out with non-football buddies in the dining hall. They just also have nutritious meals right after practice, when previously they were choosing between rushing to a picked-over dining hall or eating Burger King.

It's an entirely different game than it was 10 years ago.

by Silk, St. Louis, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:18 (3658 days ago) @ Grantland

Much less 20 years ago or longer.

The money is bigger, and the expectations are higher and expected much sooner.

Totally agree - which, in a way, "worries" me more.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:33 (3658 days ago) @ Silk
edited by Grantland, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:42

EDIT: But then again, ND has never been shy about financially leveraging the football team.

Was one of the big starts to this most recent college football financial boom precipitated by Us with the NBC deal - ironic.

Bad coaching didn't help, but institutionally

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:26 (3658 days ago) @ Silk

every other major player in college football entered the 21st century, while Notre Dame grabbed tradition and cried.

Penn St clung to their traditions but grabbed something else

by JD in Portland @, Portland OR, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:29 (3658 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

- No text -

it's an entirely different world

by JD in Portland @, Portland OR, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:25 (3658 days ago) @ Silk

Being relevant to 19 yr olds isn't compatible with standing still.
I hear there's this thing called the internets for example....
Media and how impressions are made have changed a bit.
Oh how I long for Lindsey Nelson.

And is what you are really saying is that

by Grantland, y'allywood, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:39 (3658 days ago) @ JD in Portland

it happens in every generation and we old folks need to get over it?

I am not disagreeing with you, I think this is probably right.

I am saying more than that

by JD in Portland @, Portland OR, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:58 (3658 days ago) @ Grantland

The internet and modern media expose kids to so much more. And everything is so much geared around instantaneous payoff.
Tradition, Catholicism and cold weather are less appealing to young people with more options and broader horizons while looking for a quick fix.
And parents relocate far more than they used to, as do their jobs. And the movement is all South and West.
It's a very different world tha Ara's era.

Do I sound THAT old? - I was there with Holtz not Ara.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:13 (3658 days ago) @ JD in Portland

You want Ara? go pick on Jack.

spesh beat me by a few months

by Pat, in the cloud, Monday, April 14, 2014, 10:22 (3659 days ago) @ Jay

Fueled Slainte is the best Slainte.

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 14, 2014, 08:49 (3659 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

--
"F--- everyone who isn't us."
#Team128

You're too kind.

by Slainte Joe @, Raleigh, Monday, April 14, 2014, 11:55 (3658 days ago) @ Chris

I'll concede that I'm probably more boring now that I've largely lost interest in waging internet message board brawls.

We should all re-read Slainte's post

by Rob (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, Monday, April 14, 2014, 08:51 (3659 days ago) @ Chris

There's two sides to each argument. I think we need to find a place in between.

i missed it the first time; a fine post

by JD in Portland @, Portland OR, Monday, April 14, 2014, 10:33 (3659 days ago) @ Rob (Rakes of Mallow)

More than anything I am mostly baffled by the histrionic reaction especially on process.
I have no way of proving this, but feel like maybe I'm the silent majority. I much prefer grass, but i understand it wasn't working for many reasons and accept that it had to be changed. But i don't feel it will detract from our identity or values.
It's just not that big a deal.
And as I feel about everything Jack does, i think he's handled it very well.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

by ndroman21, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:55 (3658 days ago) @ JD in Portland

- No text -

Me, too.

by PMan @, The Banks of the Spokane River, Monday, April 14, 2014, 13:35 (3658 days ago) @ JD in Portland

Not-so-silent majority maybe now.

Amen.

by Slainte Joe @, Raleigh, Monday, April 14, 2014, 11:54 (3658 days ago) @ JD in Portland

- No text -

Think silent majority is exactly right

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Monday, April 14, 2014, 11:29 (3658 days ago) @ JD in Portland

- No text -

Same here

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Monday, April 14, 2014, 10:51 (3659 days ago) @ JD in Portland

- No text -

--

Agree across the board

by CK08, Monday, April 14, 2014, 10:41 (3659 days ago) @ JD in Portland

I would also add that personally the markings on the field are much more important than whether the surface is grass or turf. I assume that the diagonal stripes and lack of a midfield logo with remain, so I'm fine with the switch to turf.

I'm also working under the assumption that the turf will be a dark, rich green green color - like healthy grass.

Gold turf would be awesome

by JN, Seattle, Monday, April 14, 2014, 10:56 (3659 days ago) @ CK08

- No text -

Yup. Grass good, turf not as good

by IrishGuard, Monday, April 14, 2014, 10:40 (3659 days ago) @ JD in Portland

don't care that much.

It's like the guy who is up for tenure, and the review board asks him, "is it true that you hold quite radical political views?" And he replies, "oh yes, but I don't hold them very strongly."

Theory

by Eric M, Western New York, Monday, April 14, 2014, 09:38 (3659 days ago) @ Rob (Rakes of Mallow)

Our current set of football uniforms is an example of that harmony.

--
-Ya boy Jackmerius Tacktheritrix

While we are on uniforms

by Rob (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, Monday, April 14, 2014, 09:40 (3659 days ago) @ Eric M

I don't recall the uniforms in the early 2000's with the stripes down the side getting that much attention, but there is proof that not all change is good change.

http://a.espncdn.com/media/ncf/2002/0921/photo/a_arnaz_i.jpg

I remember them getting railed on NDN.

by Tim, Chicago, IL, Monday, April 14, 2014, 10:06 (3659 days ago) @ Rob (Rakes of Mallow)

The "pit stain" mantra mentioned elsewhere.

Oh, I recall them

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Monday, April 14, 2014, 10:00 (3659 days ago) @ Rob (Rakes of Mallow)

The most apt description I heard of them was "pit stain" jerseys. It was supposed to create some kind of swooshy look when the player got into a three-point stance, I think, which was kind of dumb because roughly 1/3 of the players ever get in a three-point stance and the swooshy look is, you know, kind of an iconic marker of Adidas's biggest competitor. Duh.

They were objectively awful.

--

You don't remember the racing stripes?

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Monday, April 14, 2014, 09:55 (3659 days ago) @ Rob (Rakes of Mallow)

They get overshadowed by the BC green jerseys, I think. The band got matching green hats that day that were actually made by the people who do John Deere clothing.

Alternating stripes of grass and FieldTurf. Sold.

by Joe ⌂ @, North Endzone Goal Line, Monday, April 14, 2014, 09:22 (3659 days ago) @ Rob (Rakes of Mallow)

- No text -

Arkansas State beat us to it

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Monday, April 14, 2014, 14:03 (3658 days ago) @ Joe

[image]

Yes, his post nails it.

by Tim, Chicago, IL, Monday, April 14, 2014, 09:00 (3659 days ago) @ Rob (Rakes of Mallow)

- No text -