the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

Illinois FOIA

by Chris (HCC) @, Paradise, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 07:27
edited by Jay, Tuesday, June 08, 2010, 09:42

The University of Illinois responded to my FOIA request and provided me with a breakdown of conference payouts. For some reason they wouldn't provide me with an itemized breakdown of television revenue (shocker). But, here's the general breakdown for 2006-2010.

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BxzxELbyRIMJNjQ0ZmYzY2EtOWFlMi00OWQ0LTkxYzgtOGVjZj...

My initial thoughts are that these reporters were indeed very confused. Total revenue from the Big Ten and the NCAA is below 20 mil, so if the BTN is paying out that much that's some weird ass math going on. Anyhow, I still have records request outstanding from Purdue, Indiana and Ohio State, so we'll see if I hear something more conclusive back from them.

Tags:
expansion, revenue

Wait a minute

by Samari, Bahston, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 20:22 @ Chris (HCC)

The TV break out also has to be a combined FB/BB deal. That makes it worth significantly less than our NBC deal no matter which way you slice it.

see thread above

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 21:24 @ Samari

[ No text ]

This is awesome. Now someone remind me...

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 11:34 @ Chris (HCC)

which columnists/journalists do we now point at and laugh, and what were the claims, exactly? 20 million a year in TV revenue alone, right?

Thanks for doing this.

---
Sometimes I rhyme slow sometimes I rhyme quick.

And you wonder why newspapers are dying

by Samari, Bahston, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 17:26 @ domer.mq

A few bloggers and message board jockeys manage to do better research than every single major sports outlet because they're bored and spitballing.

Better research doesn't get you on "Around the Horn".

by KGB, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 21:47 @ Samari

[ No text ]

22 million each year to each school from the BTN

by MadisonDomer, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 12:47 @ domer.mq

That was the first one.

They've been going down ever since.

Will Delaney start losing credibility if nothing happens?

by Jeff (BGS), A starter home in suburban Tempe, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 13:02 @ MadisonDomer

I've always heard he is very influential in NCAA football and one of the biggest players in the "no playoff" camp.

If nothing happens, I kind of wonder if this won't be just another one or two of a thousand cuts into the influence that the Big Ten and Delaney have traditionally had.

I'm eagerly awaiting a "Delany's Big Bluff" article

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, June 03, 2010, 10:58 @ Jeff (BGS)

or a more incisive, "Why is the Big Ten puffing up its revenue numbers?" piece.

Can you send me the original?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 10:03 @ Chris (HCC)

I want to see if I can fit it onto one page.

Sent

by Chris (HCC) @, Paradise, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 13:22 @ Jay

[ No text ]

outstanding

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 07:41 @ Chris (HCC)

Was that table included, or did you have to put it together from the source material?

The table is all they ended up sending me

by Chris (HCC) @, Paradise, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 07:44 @ Jay

They were nice, but resistant to my requests for more. They said that satisfied my initial request and I would have to resubmit for more. I'll probably end up firing off another one shortly.

seconded

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 09:32 @ Chris (HCC)

Like you, I would love to see the TV revenue broken down. Maybe a couple specific requests, like how much from the BTN, how much from the CBS contract, how much from ABC/ESPN?

Ask for the amount of state funding that goes toward

by Jeff (BGS), A starter home in suburban Tempe, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 08:01 @ Chris (HCC)

teaching their billiards class.

Good stuff, thanks for tracking this down

by Jeff (BGS), A starter home in suburban Tempe, Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 07:30 @ Chris (HCC)

[ No text ]

374367 Postings in 32685 Threads, 204 registered users, 65 users online (1 registered, 64 guests)
Contact