Sampson has some info on the stadium expansion

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:23 (3739 days ago)

- No text -

Oh, screw it.

by Kevin @, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:18 (3738 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)
edited by Kevin, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:22

It's real nice that we're having these conversations. It's not real nice that eight years ago, someone at ND might have actually been able to read them, on a different site, and maybe even be persuaded on a point or two. Or at least think, "man, the fans aren't happy about this idea."

Those days are fucking over. I don't think ND is the least bit concerned what anyone on any searchable ND fan website thinks, about anything. I think we've bitched and moaned and smelled our own farts and drank our own bathwater for so long, about so many things, that if ND people read a message board at all, they think, "oh, Irish Illustrated likes it. What's new. Oh, NDNation is pissing their pants again. Who cares. Oh, UHND is still using the words 'faggot' and 'retard' in 2014."

Some of us screwed up. We weren't necessarily wrong when we bitched about the Shamrock Series, or the Western Michigan game, or Jack Swarbrick talking about "savvy fans," or the stadium ushers, or not hiring Stoops, or hiring Kelly, or Kelly bringing some of his own staff, or corporate tents in the tailgating areas, or the end of SYRs, or Obama coming to ND, or Chuck Lennon's role at pep rallies, or everything about the adidas contract, but those are "ors" back there, not "ands." Somewhere along the line we bitched one too many times. Then two, then three, then twenty. We bitched and bitched and bitched, and we told people who didn't bitch they were enablers and ran most of them out the door or made the boards so insufferable they left on their own.

Well, today, some of those people also think the stadium redesign is heading in a bad direction. They are thinking about the potential and appropriate uses of the stadium and wondering aloud how far the two are diverging. They acknowledge that we like the Rock, and O'Shaugnessey, and South Dining Hall, but maybe we don't need to tack buildings like that on top of each other then throw them next to our football stadium until it looks like we tossed Rock's House into the courtyard of a 1920s mental hospital.

And almost no one at ND will know about those conversations, and they won't have a sense that even the most supportive of fans, inclined to give the school every benefit of the doubt, think this stadium renovation plan might just be ratshit. They'll see a few posts here and there, shrug and say "same rant, different topic," and disregard. We had the floor, with as much web traffic as any college football message board ever, and we didn't know when to turn off the mic. And now ND might really screw up something really important and we can't do a damn thing about it.

Tags:
potpourri

I'm not so sure about that

by Jack @, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 14:31 (3738 days ago) @ Kevin

I don't think message boards - any message boards - ever had the influence with the administration that some people think they did, with possibly one notable well-known exception.

and

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 14:23 (3738 days ago) @ Kevin

[image]

Yep, nailed it

by Jack @, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 14:36 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Really good post, Kev

by hobbs, San Diego, CA, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 13:47 (3738 days ago) @ Kevin

have had a lot of the same thoughts myself.

That's what Aesop said

by Bill, Murrieta, CA, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 12:13 (3738 days ago) @ Kevin

[image]

In general I think there's some merit here

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:38 (3738 days ago) @ Kevin

but with regard to this particular issue, I have a hard time thinking that lots of the arguments advanced below have not already been heard by whoever is running this stadium project. The stuff they're doing simply goes straight into the headwinds of architecture and urban planning 101. If they are proceeding with the plan indicated by the rendering, it's probably for internal reasons that have been deemed to trump the contrary arguments that the hired consultants themselves must have put out (however tepidly).

Shit like you see in the Ziggurat Fresca reeks of bad leadership rather than bad thinking. At least shit like Stepan is ambitiously, even grandiosely bad. The swollen look above indicates, to me, at least, a directionless process.

Basically.

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:27 (3738 days ago) @ Kevin
edited by Jim (fisherj08), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 14:19

I tend to give the University the benefit of the doubt on this, and I assume the renovations will be fine (all the recent construction has been great, I'd guess this will be the same).

But at this point, the anti-constructionists are seen as the same population that thinks we should fire Brian Kelly. And they're given just as much respect.

PS: HI ANDY!

I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt...

by ndroman21, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:36 (3738 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

...because we don't really know what that rendering is/was.

If they release that as an official rendering, I will no longer give them the benefit of the doubt.

It would certainly be a step in the wrong direction for

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:42 (3738 days ago) @ ndroman21

the Jenkins/Swarbrick/JAG troika at ND. Fr. John has really done a great job, in my opinion. Regardless of one's positive/negative interpretations, though, I think his administration has tended towards the decisive (Obama, Under Armour, ACC, dialing back on ResLife, HHS, etc.) rather than the milquetoast.

It will be a mighty big fuck up to sleepwalk through this one, though.

Lot of truth to that

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:25 (3738 days ago) @ Kevin

The whole boy who cried wolf routine for every single imaginable topic related to ND basically shut off any legitimacy that the internet could have provided. And specifically, to the most popular ND internet forum.

But that was after much traction was made. I am not sure it'll ever work its way back.

the internet has evolved as well

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:40 (3738 days ago) @ Domer99
edited by Jay, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:58

Back in the day it was a novelty to type up a "post" and express your opinion. But we're fifteen years hence, and there's a reason anonymous comments sections are being rolled back, heavily moderated, eliminated altogether. Anonymity and the absence of face-to-face contact has allowed the id to flourish, and sometimes not in a good way.

You should add to that list

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:44 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

the arterial hardening of composition. The keys --- they want you to keep pressing them. For a lot of people just not the Shift key

also hyperbole

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:58 (3738 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

There are only two categories on the internet: best ever or total shit.

A slight refinement

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 12:41 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

"The thing I like/have is the best ever, the thing you like/have is total shit."

The internet in five seconds.

Jason Santa Maria...

by oaknd1 ⌂, Notre Dame, Friday, January 24, 2014, 17:17 (3737 days ago) @ Dylan

…has the best summation of the internet I've yet read

--
It's really pathetic when someone includes a link to their Twitter profile in their signature.

Is that a product of competition to be heard

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 12:03 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

or just a lack of creativity on the part of commenters?

Or --- SLATE PITCH --- maybe we are actually seeing a bipolarization of everything

This is why I don't rely on the Internet.

by Kevin @, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:43 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

I compile my best posts -- no more than five per day -- and print them. At the end of each week, ND officials receive their very own Pots of Gold. Many have smudges of dip spit on them, but I think they're still well-received.

Can I subscribe to your Pot O Gold?

by Bill, Murrieta, CA, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 12:09 (3738 days ago) @ Kevin

- No text -

I like to deliver mine via live soliloquy

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:44 (3738 days ago) @ Kevin

- No text -

I use a Mime

by scriptcomesfirst @, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 14:48 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

You ever have those moments, when someone asks a question

by Kevin @, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:48 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

like "how's ND gonna look this year," or "is ND recruiting OK" and 15-20 minutes later, your wife has intervened by politely saying "no one cares, Kevin. He was just trying to find a way to relate to you and had no other options. We talked about this."

And shortly after that...

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 12:01 (3738 days ago) @ Kevin

Kevin: Excuse me. May I go to the bathroom?

Ksvin's Wife: Of course you may.

Kevin (after short pause): Ah. Thank you.

[image]

all the time, especially at Christmas

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:54 (3738 days ago) @ Kevin

I tend to change the subject to, "So how many five star guys is Alabama going to sign this year? Only twelve? Wow, Saban is slipping." That usually starts a 20-minute conversation in the other direction.

With song and dance ...

by Mark, O Town, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:47 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

coordinated by your minions for the intermission?

it's like a candygram

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 11:51 (3738 days ago) @ Mark

but instead of butterscotch chocolates it's straight dope from Jay-B.

At what point is the bulding "connected to the stadium" no

by Grantland, y'allywood, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 10:36 (3738 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

longer connected to the stadium? I mean they could just connect all the buildings on campus, rebuild my beloved Holy Cross Hall, connect it, and I can say I lived in a building that was connected to ND stadium.

Looks horrible to me.

crummy mobile photo of latest architect rendering

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:33 (3739 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

[image]

Tags:
stadium

I just want to reiterate this photo lacks a lot of context

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:20 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

I know it was presented to people on campus last week, but that's about it. I don't know if it was the only concept that was presented, whether it was the final version, etc.

I know the BOT Is meeting & voting this week. I suspect this is the design up for vote but I do not know that for sure.

Admit it. You were trolling angry gold seat ND fans.

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 10:54 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

I wonder if this is a pre-Doug Marsh's input drawing

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:56 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

The head of campus architecture is a pretty big stickler for the Gothic look and tends to have quite a bit of say in those parts. Maybe we're missing some details that make it more palatable or harmonious.

Just spitballing.

ZigguratLover

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:27 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

I see some aztec. I also see some Rock

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:29 (3738 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

[image]

The proportions of the Rock...

by ndroman21, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:44 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

...and the original stadium, for that matter, are completely different.

Terraces and setbacks were a hallmark of the Art Deco architecture which was en vogue at the time ND stadium and the Rock were constructed. It blended quite well with the campus gothic aesthetic.

This new stadium rendering might be trying to incorporate that, but it's not working.

Use and location are important as well

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:56 (3738 days ago) @ ndroman21

The Rock is at the western edge of South Quad and its bulk helps to nicely fence in that space (which is still a bit too sprawling for me, but that's neither here nor there). Also, a big, blocky structure is appropriate for a workout facility: there are reasonable footprint demands (basketball courts, weight rooms, etc) and a more utilitarian, muscular bent is somewhat appropriate.

A building you want to be at the nerve center of student life needs to have a bit more creativity put into the design, in my opinion

Agree. And the stadium should still look like ND stadium.

by ndroman21, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 10:34 (3738 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

I'm not one who thinks that buildings should never change, and adaptive re-use is a wonderful concept....but ND stadium is a landmark building with a long, storied history, and an established sense of place.

That sense of place was altered negatively by the 1997 expansion, but I don't believe it was lost. The right design for this project could bring it back, but this one doesn't. I fear it will alter it irreparably.

keep in mind we don't know what the facility layout is

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 10:03 (3738 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

The new SU was targeted for the west side of the building, so the edifice we're seeing here may be for something else. Maybe it's just a shell for a big atrium, Lambeau-style?

That would be even worse

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 10:13 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

a totally superfluous, self-inflicted wart.

as always, I adamantly reserve my right to look stupid later, but I can't remember any of the proposed facility functions that would necessitate a garish layout like the one represented in the above rubbing. In a campus setting more than any other, design is as much a function of the building as anything else.

Disciplining one's self to a good design envelope usually offers insights and opportunities on how to make a superior integration of interior uses. Again, we don't know the layout, but it is hard to look at those ziggurati and not suspect some inefficiencies.

Rockne wanted some blocky buildings too, seano

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:34 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Not sure why...

by Jim (OFD) @, Naptown, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:51 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

design by committee is even in play here. ND has done plenty of building/renovating. Get your architects together, lay out a plan, get 90+% of the design done.

Once you have a near-final product, then you can show it to the fancy pants donors and see if they want in or not. Their input shouldn't matter in the slightest. ND certainly doesn't need their money, and the #1 reason they donate stacks of cash is their own ego.

Not even really through donors

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:59 (3738 days ago) @ Jim (OFD)

as much as this, from everything we've heard, is probably the most important non-dorm, non-academic building project on campus since I don't know when. If this is going to be the great swirling Mos Eisley of campus (social, athletic, extracurricular), I would imagine every department, club, program, team, etc. involved is fighting to the death for their little slice of heaven.

My fear would be that this is starting to be viewed as a "magic bullet" facility, which crowds out the oxygen for thoughts of any further development in other, more appropriate places (not saying that the actual development will be crowded out, just that people could go crazy and feel like they will be marginalized if they don't have a space in this new center). That could very well get people going to the mat for stuff, which is like the textbook definition of designing by committee.

This is a good point.

by Jim (OFD) @, Naptown, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:06 (3738 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

Just another reason to make all the decisions without input from the masses.

Couple things....

by Eric M, Western New York, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:20 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

Are the two concepts REALLY that different?

[image]

While I would agree that the initial concept is better, the second doesn't seem terribly different. It's at a different angle too, which might be making the buildings look a little bigger than they really are.

And the bigger buildings aren't necessarily worse are they? I mean, aesthetically they are worse than concept 1 but I'd like to know what is inside of the buildings because that could make this new concept better, perhaps. If we're talking some Lambeau type atrium business that's exciting, no?

All that said, I really really really hope they don't go through with having one large video board on the southern end of the stadium.

For in-game experience I don't think we can get this wrong. This re-design needs video boards in all 4 corners.

If it's one in the south and two in the north it's just dumb. Tons of people sitting in the south will have to crane all the way around to see the board and the two in the north appear too small to help many others.

1 in each corner allows everyone to simply glance into the nearest corner with barely moving their head away from the field.

--
-Ya boy Jackmerius Tacktheritrix

I think they are quite a bit different

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:25 (3738 days ago) @ Eric M

the expansion pieces in the newer rendering seem to extend out from the stadium at least twice as far, and the expansion segments in the latter rendering are farther away from each other.

I also think a lot of this will look real stupid in overhead shots, which is not nothing.

Agree. The 1st concept had completely different massing

by ndroman21, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:20 (3738 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

There were unbroken verticals all over the place, which is one of the hallmarks of the psuedo-art deco architecture of the original stadium. The details appeared to be dumbed down/modernized, but in concept, it fit.

This new rendering has zero unbroken verticals. Every couple of levels is terraced. It really makes it look light either a ziggurat or a Mayan temple pyramid.

Also, the structure at the south end does not extend as far to the East and West, leaving even more of the ugly concrete bowl exposed.

It's blocking/massing instead of linear/circling

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:20 (3738 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

Those are not terms of art like "ugh" and "meh," but they work for me. It appears that the new sketch has reduced the width of each of the three buildings/components and increased the depth of each, at least at ground level. So you have what you noticed -- the increased distance between each component -- and you have the need for more articulation within each component to avoid each looking too utilitarian.

I think this drives the ziggurat design, and it really does not work aesthetically.

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

STOP RIPPING NDROMAN21!!!!

by ndroman21, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 09:46 (3738 days ago) @ Greg

- No text -

The big things I see

by Eric M, Western New York, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:43 (3738 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

Are an extra block added to the southern part of the east structure, and it looks like added an extra blocks on each side of the southern building in addition to possibly an extra story.

But again, the second picture looks real distorted and a lot more zoomed in than the first concept so everything looks huge.

In the southeast corner the same underbelly of the bowl is exposed in the first as in the second concept. It just looks like more in the second because of the angle and height.

Something doesn't seem right about the southeast corner outside the stadium--as you mentioned below--and I think the distortion is messing with us there.

We definitely need a clearer picture.

--

I'll also add...

by Eric M, Western New York, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:52 (3738 days ago) @ Eric M

That this 2nd concept seems to have what looks like the current scoreboard attached at the top of bowl in the north end.

If we're to believe that there will be two scoreboards/video boards in the north end I don't think this 2nd concept is the final one. In fact, it would make me think it came before the 1st concept we saw.

--

I think people are mis-interpreting the design guidelines

by Mark, O Town, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:02 (3738 days ago) @ Jay
edited by Mark, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:16

1. I think it looks fine, but I am also taking into account what their goals are.

2. U-shaped. I think it has to be U-Shaped so you dont block the view of Touchdown Jesus.

3. Big buildings. The main design goal I heard (from my friend in the PR office) was that ND wants to make the stadium a year-round facility that students visit more than 6 or 7 times a seasons. If they are going to do that, how can they do that without adding buildings (ie making the stadium thicker)? So when I see the "blocky" designs I think, "Cool", I wonder what kind of facilities will be in that new space? Will it be student rec stuff? Will it be classroom stuff?

My main goal for this part of the design would be that I hope they make sure they use the right kind of brick to match the rest of campus. They also need to make sure they have an architecture/design firm that mandates the details correctly (the correct style of windows, overhangs etc), as even the current campus has certain eras of buildings where the classic ND campus style was NOT done very well.

4. Green roof tops. That's just smart design. Its eco and its going to become more and more common because it helps the design in multiple ways (conserves energy, green gases etc). I see that and think, "Well this is what the next century will see lots of" ... Also, ND could get some great learning experiences both as a business that has these types of facilities in their portfolio and also as a learning institution training young professionals on how to design (architecture) and maintain (civil engineering) advanced systems like this. I think its great that ND would go after a design that includes this kind of option.

BTW, that included drawing looks like one of many early design drawings. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if that concept was re-drawn another 20 times, because sometimes, that's how these types of projects go.

5. Design by committee. Yep, it definitely could be a design by committee result, but I've also seen the, "Well Im the rich guy and I'm donating most of the funds for this project, but I dont know exactly what I want ... so change X, no change Y, now wait a minute can you add back Y make X bigger and I was thinking we could really use a good ABC to go withit." Design demands by 1 client can be just as all over the place as design by committee. Some of these wealthy people that donate for this shit, don't have a clue what the design should be, but they make plenty of demands. Top notch design firms some times walk away from these projects because you'll go through 40 iterations and the one jackass is still trying to make up his mind on which design he likes best.

On the blockiness/ziggurat/Mayan temple issue...

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:12 (3738 days ago) @ Mark

...I'd say that a larger base level (looks like 2 stories in the sketch) with a reasonably solid upper level (5 stories?) that didn't terrace again and again in the front and sides would work fine. Look at the older sketch Jay pasted below -- there's some setting-back of the upper levels from the base on the west side, and it looks consistent with ND architecture. It looks cleaner than this new sketch; one can see it blending nicely into the campus over time; and even if the west side had to be extended further out the theme of a larger lower level and a unified upper level remains. And the south and east side were much more in keeping with ND's traditional aesthetic.

This just looks like either an old hospital (ndbk32 nailed that) or an art deco-era apartment building or the aforementioned ancient culture temples.

--

Those design goals could be met without enormous...

by ndroman21, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:11 (3738 days ago) @ Mark

...blocky structures. Of course, ND would have to keep an open mind, as well.

I share the hope that this was an earlier rendering that was either rejected or heavily revised.

The proportions are just awful here

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:20 (3738 days ago) @ ndroman21

look at the stretch of sidewalk in the SE corner. In the original rendering, this was a nicely situated stretch with some trees and --- if they're serious about year round use -- looked usable as perhaps an al fresco area, meeting space, etc. Now it's a broad, windswept and expansive wasted space. Waiting to get into the Stadium on an early September afternoon will be miserable, as will walking to class in February.

The same square footage could have been apportioned around the stadium in a much more pleasing manner. The sinister scenario in my mind is that the brokering process involved going so far as promising specific, segregated footprint profiles to different stakeholders, resulting in an overblocked Frankenstein that will probably suck for everyone.

Comparing the two rounds of sketches

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 07:46 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

this has all the terrible hallmarks of the "Design by Committee" process. The increased bulk and more absurd features (green roofs!) probably come from not enough people being told that their idea is fucking stupid.

The best case scenario would be that this rendering is only one choice of several, and is not chosen.

The next best case scenario would be that this rendering/plan is a sacrificial lamb that was needed to achieve consensus, and "resource constraints" will be invoked to produce something less monstrous.

The worst case scenario is they build the damn thing too high and the Steeple of the Basilica is outstripped in height by the artifice of ND' Temple to Urkhutal

They need to take a step back....

by ndroman21, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:01 (3738 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

It doesn't even resemble ND stadium anymore. It's more like an English soccer ground that was built up over time as separate stands. There's no purity of form or continuity. It's just 3 buildings.

And they happen to look Mayan.

There are a lot of questions re: the rendering

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:07 (3738 days ago) @ ndroman21

the difference in construction appearance is striking. It now almost looks like they are leaving the stadium bowl alone and building ziggurat temples closely along the perimeter (which, obviously, would be stupid). Maybe that is just an effect imposed for that particular picture to highlight new facilities/elements. Maybe they want aesthetic cohesion with Eddy Street Commons. Who knows? These new renderings would also make me seriously question the stadium's potential as a campus hub. That is one grotesque fortress-looking thing.

I would be interested to know who all lent a voice to this process. That rendering definitely gives one the sensation of a project run amok.

What's wrong with the green roofs?

by CK08, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 07:50 (3738 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

I don't necessarily disagree with the rest - it's very blocky while the existing stadium is curved. But I'll wait for a non-blurry drawing (and some close-ups of street level and the interior) before passing judgement.

In a vacuum, nothing

by Mike (bart), Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:02 (3738 days ago) @ CK08

but I can't discern much benefit from the patchwork squares depicted in that rendering. ND's campus is not exactly a concrete jungle; I would conservatively guess that at least 50+ percent of the campus' surface area is permeable surface. From a hydrologial perspective I doubt the green roof squares add much marginal benefit, if any. Any difference in air quality, carbon footprint, etc. will almost certainly be offset by the cost and effort of maintaining these things, especially given their situation as many small terraces, all set at different elevations. Further, given the patchwork effect, the (assumed) stone construction of the addition, and South Bend's climate, I don't think HVAC concerns played a prominent role here as well.

Basically, I harbor a suspicion that we have the green roofs just to have them, which is almost never a good reason for adding a feature to construction.

Nothing in concept.

by ndroman21, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 07:59 (3738 days ago) @ CK08

In execution, they often fail to live up to their potential, as they require maintenance to function properly.

Not if it's Field Turf™

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 08:30 (3738 days ago) @ ndroman21

- No text -

Compare to the Michigan Stadium renovation.

by Kevin @, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 03:15 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

Putting aside broader issues, the execution of the Michigan Stadium renovation seems a lot better than this drawing. The big drawback of Michigan's version (other than it's Michigan) is their video board. It looks tacked on. If ND is going to do a board -- not my preference, but I don't really care -- doing a horseshoe might make sense. They could even have a scoreboard or two on the north ends of the boxes, then leave the north end zone open.

[image]

I disagree on Michigan's

by CK08, Thursday, January 23, 2014, 07:47 (3738 days ago) @ Kevin

I think the brick looks nice, but overall they just plopped the brick luxury/press box structures next to the stadium. From the exterior, they dwarf the small part of the stands that is visible above ground. Plus the one on the west presents a huge blank wall that looms over Main Street and makes that block kind of forboding when there's no game going on (and therefore no life in the stadium).

Here's a link to the Google Street View on the west side of the stadium: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ann+Arbor,+MI&hl=en&ll=42.265738,-83.750286&...

Plus it's kind of an apples and oranges comparison. As similar as the stadiums are on the inside, they are very different on the outside because Michigan's is sunken into the ground so far. And the surrounding areas are very different. Michigan has parking lots to the north and northeast, Crisler Arena to the southeast, a golf course to the south, and a residential neighborhood to the west. ND is basically surrounded by ND's campus (except on the south), which is the reason for trying to activate the stadium with more year-round uses.

That looks awful.

by tex29, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 20:18 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

I know. The cameraman was clearly drunk.

by Pat (Moco), Bar, Urban Chophouse Short North, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 21:23 (3738 days ago) @ tex29

- No text -

One positive in the design...

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 15:22 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

...when Harrison Ford visits campus, he'll know where to go to find Mola Ram.

--

A half a billion dollars, still visible underside concrete.

by Savage, Around Ye Olde Colonial College, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 15:02 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Who was the 2003 time traveler who took that with his RAZR?

by MHB (Rakes of Mallow), Chicago, IL, United States, Earth-199999, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:56 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

If I were to walk up to that without knowing anything

by ndbk32 @, Los Angeles, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:51 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

I'd be amazed at how they were able to squeeze in a football stadium between three big old hospitals.

And I would assume the designers/builders had not one single other option on earth. This is ugly. Somebody didn't get past Lego-Stacking 101 in architecture school.

Where's the hot tub?

by irishvol @, Music City, USA, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:48 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

Is the giant hot tub outside the southwest corner gone from the previous rendering? Or just cut out from this picture? Inquiring minds want to know...

Looks kind of ugly.

by Bill, Murrieta, CA, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:44 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Is this real? It looks like a Mayan temple pyramid

by ndroman21, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:44 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

Well, 3 of them, actually.

Ziggurat.

by PMan @, The Banks of the Spokane River, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 18:23 (3739 days ago) @ ndroman21

- No text -

Or some ill-fated combination of the two.

by ndroman21, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 20:33 (3738 days ago) @ PMan

- No text -

yes

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:44 (3739 days ago) @ ndroman21

final version? only version? No idea. This was shown to people last weekend, though.

It looks like shit.

by Kevin @, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:50 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Oh come on

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:59 (3739 days ago) @ Kevin

Let loose. That design deserves it.

--

Ugh. Jack Swarbrick, please call me. I can do better.

by ndroman21, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:45 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

Many Bothans died to bring us this information.

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:42 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

They shot the messenger.

by RocketShark, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 16:06 (3739 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

- No text -

Three thoughts

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:35 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

(1) I'm glad they're keeping the Joyce separate and allowing people to walk through that area. Would have led to really weird foot traffic patterns on non-game day times and really weird foot traffic problems on game days.

(2) Appears they're going green by planting on rooftops. Want that LEED certification that badly, eh?

(3) No full horseshoe, but I can see where the massing at least would lead one to think that it was close.

--

Re: Pt. 2. That's actually more FieldTurf

by Pat, in the cloud, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:54 (3739 days ago) @ Greg

- No text -

what is that black thing on the west upper deck?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:37 (3739 days ago) @ Greg

- No text -

Could be club seating.

by ndroman21, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 20:40 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

Nicer seats with access to indoor areas above. Lambeau has that feature in a similar location.

Batter's eye

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 20:26 (3738 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

Really good question. Also...

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:39 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

...notwithstanding the comment about LEED, I don't really like the ziggurat-style terracing on the south ediface. Further, and unlike what ndroman envisioned, we still see the ugliness of the 1997 renovation/exposed bowl. I gotta say, I liked the early schematic much better than this one.

--

Agree, The earlier design was "meh." This one is "ugh."

by ndroman21, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 15:16 (3739 days ago) @ Greg

Yes, those are technical terms.

Too deep for me.

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 15:26 (3739 days ago) @ ndroman21

Obviously, I agree with you and find your concept superior because (a) it covered the whole upper bowl and (b) it didn't look so flipping goofy.

Understanding that they wanted to expand the footprint of each of the new structures, there still had to be a better, more-consistent-with-current-ND-architecture (and still cost-efficient) way to do it than to take their cues from Chichen Itza.

--

We need more Vespean Gas

by Samari, Bahston, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 15:03 (3739 days ago) @ Greg

- No text -

it honors our meso-American heritage

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:41 (3739 days ago) @ Greg

- No text -

This will be interesting as it pertains to basketball

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 13:40 (3739 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

Swarbrick indicated in December of last year that the concept of the new stadium design also focused on addressing the practice facility.

I'll be surprised if the current plans don't have some component/solution carved out for the basketball team.

I'll also be shocked if I don't hear at least 1,000 complaints about it not being enough or it being too little too late.

The practice facility is being addressed with this.

by Kevin @, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 13:44 (3739 days ago) @ Domer99

They are allocating money for new nets, and possibly new rims, in the Pit.

Replace the duct tape

by irishoutsider @, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 13:45 (3739 days ago) @ Kevin

- No text -

This just about guarantees FieldTurf as well.

by Bill, Murrieta, CA, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 13:18 (3739 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

Because if they're building higher structures on the East and South portions of the stadium, they're going to be reducing the amount of sunlight that the field gets throughout the day. With the tough time we have now in supporting a natural surface, it seems like it would be next to impossible to do so with the new structures.

Not necessarily.

by ndroman21, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 13:38 (3739 days ago) @ Bill
edited by ndroman21, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 13:42

I did quick sun studies when I did my stadium renovation concept, and the field was largely unaffected until early/late November.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of SketchUp's sun modelling, but the shallow rake of the bowl kept the structures from making much of a difference in the summer, when the sun's altitude is higher.

Of course, I still think we'll see FieldTurf.

If that's the case-- it has to be for next season, right?

by DCT, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 13:21 (3739 days ago) @ Bill

- No text -

concept drawing from last year

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:42 (3739 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

http://www.bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?id=152779

[image]

The architect did a session with some former alumni board people over the weekend and I understand this drawing is out of date, although some features are still in place. Notably the bridge/connection to the JACC has been removed in the more recent plans, and the big structure on the west side that will house the new student union is more pronounced.

From Sampson's description it sounds like the south end structure may be wider than is shown in this picture.

Both changes would make sense.

by Kevin @, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:48 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

The JACC walkway bugged me. You should be able to walk around the stadium without going inside.

The origial south endzone structure doesn't look big enough to accommodate much of a video board. They're going to want something that isn't visible from outside, like Michigan's eyesore:

[image]

So many of these things are just tacked on top of the stadiums, making them look even tackier. To build it into a brick/concrete frame would require a pretty big frame.

There will be explosions of many heads come the middle

by crazychester @, Chicago, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:31 (3739 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

of next week.

sounds like a big horseshoe around the south end of the stadium.

A horseshoe implies increasing seating capacity

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:00 (3739 days ago) @ crazychester

Is that a new wrinkle?

they previously mentioned 2000 new seats

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:14 (3739 days ago) @ Dylan

but I think that was including luxury boxes.

Non-jutting-out boxes.

by Savage, Around Ye Olde Colonial College, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 15:04 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

The pressbox currently cuts out quite a few seats. If they build the other side straight up and replace the existing pressbox, they could gain back those seats in the upper bowl.

Hmm. Noise containment?

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:44 (3739 days ago) @ crazychester

If done right, a ring/horseshoe should keep noise in more than would the design that Jay provided above.

--

and talk about your boondoggles....

by crazychester @, Chicago, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:34 (3739 days ago) @ crazychester

the BOT meeting is in Rome? Spending the UA money early I guess.

they had no choice

by JD in Portland @, Portland OR, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 13:19 (3739 days ago) @ crazychester

With the Jesuits running the show now, ND and the CSCs need to be representin'.
See and be seen. And keep the Jesuits honest.

Maybe it's Anthony Travel's way of greasing the wheels

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:37 (3739 days ago) @ crazychester

- No text -

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

I didn't think exotic locations for the BOT meetings

by Deshi Basara, Indy, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:35 (3739 days ago) @ crazychester

were that unusual. I feel like a few years ago they did a cruise down the Danube River.

Father Jenkins was nearly hit by a motorcycle in Rome

by Ken Fowler, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 13:03 (3739 days ago) @ Deshi Basara

and then he met the Pope.

All covered by current Philly Inquirer New Jersey state capital reporter Maddie Hanna.

Is that a fact?

by Deshi Basara, Indy, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 13:13 (3739 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

Man that brings back some memories. Seems like only yesterday the three of us were discussing Duke Lacrosse in the back of Storin's class.

Why is the Board of Trustees meeting in Rome?

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:33 (3739 days ago) @ crazychester

Are they giving Pope Francis his honorary letterman's jacket?

They do have an audience scheduled with him, seriously

by Jack @, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 13:36 (3739 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

- No text -

article

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:44 (3739 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

http://ndsmcobserver.com/2014/01/leaders-receive-degrees/

Leaders to receive degrees

Observer Staff Report | Monday, January 20, 2014

Two prominent Catholic leaders will receive honorary doctor of law degrees from Notre Dame at the University’s winter Board of Trustees meeting in Rome on Jan. 27, a University press release stated.

Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, president of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue, and Maria Voce, president of the Focolare Movement and the only female to lead a major Catholic lay movement, will be honored during the academic convocation at Notre Dame’s new center in Rome’s San Giovanni neighborhood, the release stated.

“Though their energy and good works, our honorees personify the fact that God’s love knows no barriers,” University President Fr. John Jenkins said in the release.

Tauran, a native of Bordeaux, France, became a priest in 1969 and went on to work in the Vatican’s diplomatic service in the Dominican Republic, Lebanon, Haiti, Beirut and Damascus, the release stated. After Pope John Paul II elevated him to a cardinal in 2003, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI appointed him president of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue in 2007.

Tauran voted in the 2005 and 2013 papal conclaves, and he was the speaker who made the formal “Habemus Papam” announcement of Pope Francis’s election to St. Peter’s Square on March 13, 2013, according to the release.

Voce, a native of southern Italy, began to lead the Focolare Movement in 2008, which promotes unity and universal brotherhood in 182 nations, the release stated. She was the first woman to practice law in Rome’s modern judicial system and is a consultor for the Pontifical Councils for the Laity and for Promoting the New Evangelization.

While in Rome, Jenkins and other University officials will meet with Vatican leaders in papal congregational offices and pontifical councils related to Notre Dame’s mission as a leader in Catholic higher education, the release stated. The Board of Trustees will also conduct its regular business meetings in Rome.

That's the most Observer headline ever

by CK08, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 14:07 (3739 days ago) @ Jay

"Leaders to receive degrees"

I'm not positive, but I think it's part of a broader trip.

by Kevin @, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:40 (3739 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

Some ND officers and development people are part of a series of meetings with the Vatican to discuss options for capital campaigns. I don't know if that trip is this one, but I do know something along those lines was scheduled for the winter/spring of this year.

We have a facility there

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:40 (3739 days ago) @ Jim (fisherj08)

What, should they always meet in the Morris and only ever see the main campus?

Seriously though, boards of directors of large organizations meet at headquarters sometimes and at far-flung facilities (in particular those near attractive destinations) other times and in resorts still other times. I see no reason why our board should not do the same. Heck, since it's part and parcel of serving on boards of larger companies, and since we want the same type of folks to serve on our board, we should really expect that our board will do the same.

--

When I was in school ('99-'03)

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 13:02 (3739 days ago) @ Greg

They had the BoT meetings in the CCE (McKenna Hall). I worked there and used to help set up for the meetings. Back then, space was cramped, and I can only assume that the Board has grown in the last 10-11 years. There probably aren't too many places on campus where they can meet comfortably. That's not to excuse what could be seen as something of a boondoggle, but might be an explanation for the change of venue.

C'mon...it's a boondoggle

by crazychester @, Chicago, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 13:24 (3739 days ago) @ Jeremy (WeIsND)

That doesn't mean that I'm pissed, or even that it's a bad thing, just that serving on the ND board has some pretty sweet perks (as it likely should).

I would say though, that they certainly could have accommodated the meeting in the new Morris Inn.

Or SDH.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 13:49 (3739 days ago) @ crazychester

- No text -