Chart: The 2013 college football playoff, a bracket

by LaFortune Teller ⌂ @, South Bend, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 09:36

unbound by space and time.
http://bcftoys.com/feature

[image]

Tags:
charts

Stanford out in round one!

by Brian, 72 Whooping Cough Lane, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 10:02 @ LaFortune Teller

[ No text ]

no Pac 12 team makes the sweet sixteen

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 10:06 @ Brian

[ No text ]

wait, strike that

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 10:17 @ Jay

Washington State?

Frigging Pitt

by James, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 09:55 @ LaFortune Teller

That one just keeps coming back, doesn't it?

the Eye of Fremeau

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 09:47 @ LaFortune Teller

[ No text ]

Cool! I can see the 3D version of it

by Costa Rican @, San Jose in beautiful Costa Rica, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 09:46 @ LaFortune Teller

[ No text ]

Inconceivable!

by Jeff (BGS), A starter home in suburban Tempe, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 09:40 @ LaFortune Teller

[ No text ]

I do not think that word means what you think it means

by Jack @, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 09:47 @ Jeff (BGS)

[ No text ]

How long did it take you to put this together?

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 09:39 @ LaFortune Teller

[ No text ]

Made good use of a chunk of a snow day.

by LaFortune Teller ⌂ @, South Bend, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 09:45 @ Jim (fisherj08)

I was playing around with some who-beat-who data before deciding it might actually work. I actually started and never finished one of these by hand about 12 years ago when I had way too much free time and a healthy obsession arguing about how the regular season really was the playoff.

It took some time to figure out some of the key spots (Louisville has to lose to UCF, which has to lose to South Carolina ...), but a big chunk of it just kind of fell into place. I was hoping I could figure out a way to avoid any "play-in" games since there are a handful of teams with a "bye", but I decided I had already wasted enough brain power on the stupid thing.

The old "Slippery Rock is national champion" method - trivia

by Jack @, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 09:53 @ LaFortune Teller
edited by Jack, Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 10:04

A bit of college football history there. One year there was a debate as to who was the national champion, between 2 teams, each with one loss (both shutouts), as there was no undefeated team that year. A writer came up with a who-beat-who analysis whereby Slippery Rock ended up as national champion, which put that institution on the map, as it were. In this day and age, we would have said the story went viral.

A virtual kewpie doll to anyone here who knows what year and which two teams were being debated for national champion. It did in fact end up as a split NC in the polls.

Hint #1: Even I was not yet born.

Hint #2: One of the teams played ND that year and this year.

374368 Postings in 32685 Threads, 204 registered users, 83 users online (0 registered, 83 guests)
Contact