the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

front 7 update

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 11:07
edited by Jay, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 11:26

A continuation of our rolling front 7 discussion, tagged here: http://www.bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?mode=search&search=front7&method=tags

As we know, peer programs typically sign at least seven Front 7 guys per year to build out their defensive core. Last year, even if EV had stuck we would have been short.

2013 (5)
DT/DE Rochell, Matuska
LB J. Smith, Randolph, Deeb

With Williams in the fold, we're up to 8:

2014 (7)
DT/DE Hayes, Trumbetti, Blankenship, Dickerson, J. Williams
DE/LB Bonner, Yeargin, Martini

And I guess we're still looking to add more.

Tags:
front7

I think you can pencil Sykes in to make it 9

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 12:04 @ Jay

Funny things happen, but he seems to pretty much a lock. We'd definitely take Morgan, Holley and Elam should they wish to commit; we're obviously unlikely to get all three and may get none, but that gives us a lower bound of 12 for the max front seven group size. We were still actively after Solomon Thomas and Andrew Williams too, but I think we were considered fringe players for both and I wonder if we're done at DE at this point. Trumbetti, Williams, Bonner, and Blankenship are quite a glut of players there now, although Bonner and especially Blankenship are candidates for DCE'ing. Speaking of which, if we land Morgan and Sykes, Tranquill is almost certain to stay at safety and might stay there even if we land only one of those two.

In any case, we should have at least 9 and possibly 12 front seven recruits in this class, with an emphasis on athleticism, speed, and versatility. Nice. I like the apparent philosophy of loading up on defensive athletes and figuring out where to put them later.

---
Listen to the voice of Life, and you will hear Life crying, "Be!"

Is this front 7 haul small? (weightwise)

by Mark, Cloud City, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 11:57 @ Jay

I dont see many 280-300lb DL in this group.

I guess Kona Schwenke and Justin Utupo have bulked up, but I'm not sure that's ideal.

Does this mean ND is going to be known for having a smaller DL in the near future?

Seems like the staff is emphasizing speed

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 12:14 @ Mark

[ No text ]

---

I think so. only 2 obvious interior DL guys

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 12:04 @ Mark

Hayes and Dickerson, and both are in the 260-lb range.

Jarron Jones was near 300 and Day was reportedly 280, so we don't have anybody that heavy already. Rochell was 260.

These guys are all pretty tall though and can presumably add weight.

Dickerson is listed at 275 right now on B&G and ESPN

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 12:13 @ Jay

260 on Scout and Rivals. If the 275 number is accurate, I could definitely see him being up to 290-295 by the time the 2014 season starts. There's been persistent rumors of the staff being open to moving 2014 OG commit Sam Mustipher to DT too, and he's 6'3"/285 right now. But obviously I agree with your main point, that's a far cry from Big Lou at 350, or from any prototypical 3-4 DT. If we land Elam, he'll definitely have to be on the Big Lou meal plan for a while before he's ready to contribute, too.

We might be OK at DT in 2015, but I'm concerned that 2014 will be a year of duct tape and chewing gum at the position.

---

and Martini at LB

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 11:24 @ Jay

Even Tranquill, though I suspect if we also nab Sykes and Morgan that he will end up at safety.

I hope we get both Ny(i)leses

by BPH, San Diego, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 11:55 @ Spesh

We simply can't take too many front seven players in this class. And from what I've read, getting Nile might help us land Nyles, because they're friends from the camp circuit.

Morgan & Sykes actually work out together

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 12:06 @ BPH

at one of those athlete development places. Clifton Garrett, too, and from what everyone says Sykes holds his own with both of them. I think that somehow we've made up a huge amount of ground with Morgan and we're very much in it for him. I'm a little worried about his official to Vandy coming up, but if we can get through that without Vandy taking a lead I like our chances.

---

I think they all workout at Core 6 Athletes

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 12:47 @ Brendan

And I think Michael Floyd worked out there, and is where Everett might be slotted to work out too.

Interestingly, Irish recruit and Iowa commit, Mike Jones is a trainer there. Brother of Irish player Jim Jones.

http://www.core6athletes.com/

I thought this was an interesting blurb from Lemming (as always with his opinion, take with an obligatory grain of salt):

CBS Sports Network national recruiting analyst Tom Lemming holds a higher opinion of Sykes. He said after this season, the gap between Sykes and Nyles Morgan and Clifton Garrett, consensus top-five inside linebackers nationally, isn’t as big as often perceived.

"He's a four-star linebacker,” Lemming said of Sykes. “I'm only surprised that Notre Dame didn't offer him earlier. He's definitely good enough to play at Notre Dame. He has real good ability. He's quick to the ball. He's the same size and has the same production of Nyles Morgan and Clifton Garrett — two bigger names out of the area. When you watch all three of them play, they're all about equal in talent.”

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/college/notredame/recruiting/article_587126b8-56...

I don't think Floyd and Golson worked/will work out there...

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 20:04 @ Domer99

But the LBs do.

And I like the Lemming quote, but it comes in the same week that he compared Barnett to Kevin Hogan as a recruit.

My bad. You are right

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Friday, November 29, 2013, 09:53 @ BillyGoat

Looks like it is EFT Sports Performance where both Floyd and Golson worked out. Looks like Ian Williams, Corey Mays, Robert Hughes, Brian Smith, KLM, Darius Fleming, Robert Blanton, Sergio Brown, and Armando Allen too.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/23420462-419/suspended-irish-qb-everett-golson-...

http://eftsportsperformance.com/eft_v3/portfolio/

Is Morgan actually a possibility at this point?

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 11:58 @ BPH

Also, will we have to listen to them talk about wine?

[image]

yes

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 12:02 @ Jim (fisherj08)

He visited ND for a second time for the BYU game. His parents have always wanted ND, but now he is starting to come around. Landing Sykes (which is expected, he admitted that he almost verballed to Martin when he was offered) will help, too.

I just totally forgot about Greer

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 11:27 @ Spesh

[ No text ]

Better than forgetting about Dre

by Geoff, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 11:57 @ Jay

[ No text ]

374427 Postings in 32689 Threads, 204 registered users, 67 users online (1 registered, 66 guests)
Contact