the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

"we had guys doing the other guys' jobs" (Purdue)

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 10:18
edited by Jay, Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 11:19

Below BK was talking about this in regards to the secondary and DL assignments. The same notion could apply in the running game at times. Here's an example from the Purdue game where somebody misses an assignment, and I'm not sure if it's Zack Martin or Lombard.

This is the Cam McDaniel "Crown of Thorns" play. It's 2nd & goal at the four.

Presnap read: 2 TE, Cam in the pistol.

The play is a power run left. The strong side OL (Martin & Watt) are going to block down, and Lombard (right guard) pulls playside and hits the hole ahead of the RB. That's what he's supposed to do, anyway.

[image]

The left side blocks down. Niklas picks up his man and drives him. Lombard pulls, but doesn't get around Zack. The Purdue linebacker (circled in red) is going to make the tackle.

[image]

Here you can see Lombard doubles the guy already picked up by Martin, leaving the PU linebacker to stop Cam in the hole.

Did Zack take the wrong man to start with? Or did Lombard not get around him properly?

[image]

Either way, we left a man free. If we had blocked him, Cam likely scores a TD. Instead, we settled for a FG.

And here's the full video of the play.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14qg65_2013-notre-dame-vs-purdue-2nd-quarter_sport&am...

Tags:
cut-ups

The hole for Power-O

by PBurns ⌂ @, Ah Denver, the Sunshine State. Beautiful, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 11:12 @ Jay

That the Guard needs to lead into isn't set in stone. If the tackle needs to wash his guy inside, the G needs to read it and go outside of him.

It's just like a lead play. If the hole you're supposed to hit gets filled, find an opening and go hit someone.

This one's on Lombard for a bad read of Martin's block. Admittedly, one of the toughest things to do for a guard, and he's only doing it for the first time this year.

---
Just run 4 verts

question

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 11:17 @ PBurns

Was reading the situation something Golic was pretty decent at?

Also, it does look like a great play by the playside DT

by PBurns ⌂ @, Ah Denver, the Sunshine State. Beautiful, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 11:16 @ PBurns

to try and get across Z Mart's face, and in addition to take up Lombard's block. I revise my above opinion and give both guys -0.5 on the play.

---
Just run 4 verts

Exactly. It's actually a perfect play by the DT.

by ReginaldVelJohnson @, (FaytlND), Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 12:26 @ PBurns

By starting in the 5 tech and slanting down across Martin, he makes that play incredibly difficult for both Martin and Lombard. Ideally I think Martin should have chipped the DTs outside shoulder and went to the 2nd level, allowing Lombard to trap the slanting DT. There's essentially no way Lombard is going to be able to get around Martin to the outside before Cam hits that hole.

I really don't understand any of this.

by Pat (Moco), Slave Den, Brian Cook's Basement, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 10:54 @ Jay

If we just put 10 OL on the field with Greg Bryant alone in the backfield, we'd be undefeated right now.

JESUS CHRIST

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 10:59 @ Pat (Moco)

YOU PEOPLE!

LOUIS NIX!

LOUIS WOULD BE BEHIND THE 10 OL!

---
Sometimes I rhyme slow sometimes I rhyme quick.

1.5 yards and a shitload of dust.

by Pete, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 12:15 @ domer.mq

[ No text ]

It's like a mix.

by Pat (Moco), Slave Den, Brian Cook's Basement, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 11:20 @ domer.mq

[image]

and

[image]

Maybe it's just camera angle...

by domer.mq ⌂ @, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 10:28 @ Jay

But the alignment of the left side of the line, relative to the LOS, seems way too far back. Is that just me?

Details, details, details...

---
Sometimes I rhyme slow sometimes I rhyme quick.

I read a post in the past few days

by Pat, Right behind you, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 17:57 @ domer.mq

where someone said the linemen tip off rush vs. pass by where they line up.

I have no idea if there actually is a tell or not.

If that was our usual Power play, I think the pulling

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 10:28 @ Jay

guard is supposed to hit the hole between the playside guard and tackle (which is about where Lombard ended up). It does seem like we've added a few different running plays this year (beyond just adding the pistol formation to our standard arsenal of inside zone/outside zone/power).

is Zack trying to drive his man outside?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 10:34 @ BillyGoat

and just gets beat?

And that's why Lombard is confused -- he's trying to pull through a hole that isn't there?

That's likely what he wanted to do.

by ReginaldVelJohnson @, (FaytlND), Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 12:30 @ Jay
edited by ReginaldVelJohnson, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 12:36

Especially with the DT lined up on his outside shoulder. I imagine he thought he was going to seal him to the outside and let Lombard lead up through the hole. You can also tell that's what he thought he was going to do because he led with his right foot and tries to step inside. But then he gets stuck with his head across the DTs body, meaning he has absolutely no leverage to push him anywhere. That's why I'd put most of this on Martin. As soon as he saw that DT crosses his face, he should have left him for Lombard.

If that's the case, then is it on Cam?

by Greg, the 'Dena, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 10:33 @ BillyGoat

Should he have hit the hole where Lombard was doubling?

But then on the other hand, that would make more sense for a zone read run and less sense for a pistol run due to the momentum of the RB and the location of the handoff. I would think (without knowing jack) that pistol runs would be slightly further outside than zone read runs due to those factors. But I've been disabused of notions many times this morning already and I'll be happy to understand I'm wrong here, too.

---
#asshat

Crap, that would've been a walk-in score.

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 10:25 @ Jay

Man. You're talking about two of the more experienced linemen. The temptation is to pin that on Lombard given Martin's accolades and the fact that Lombard is playing a new spot on the line, but you never know. So puzzling why the discipline/focus/competence/whatever isn't there for run blocking but the pass blocking is so excellent.

---
Listen to the voice of Life, and you will hear Life crying, "Be!"

tempted to put it on Lombard too

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 10:28 @ Brendan

You have to assume Zack knows what he's doing. Lombard: he's new at guard. Maybe not used to pulling on the power play. Maybe still getting used to the nuances of the position.

I think that one's just a pure mistake on Lombard's part.

by Kevin @, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 11:10 @ Jay

But one so basic that I wonder if he misheard/misunderstood the playcall.

It seems like an odd mistake

by CK08, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 11:52 @ Kevin

Basically what he needs to do is come down the line until there's a gap in bodies, then shoot through that gap and hit the first Purdue player he sees.

I don't understand why he stopped and blocked a guy who was already blocked.

To be fair, I need to see a different angle.

by Kevin @, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 13:08 @ CK08

To really judge linemen, it's best to watch from the end zones. I don't know what that gap looked like when he got there.

374353 Postings in 32682 Threads, 204 registered users, 117 users online (3 registered, 114 guests)
Contact