Every Rees pass vs. Temple

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 19:12 (3859 days ago)

Discuss among yourselves. Possible topics:

Rees vs. drop 8
Rees in pistol
Rees in empty
Rees's diversity of throws made
Rees vs the blitz

Tags:
cut-ups

The play at 1:44. EDIT: play starts at 1:39.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 14:15 (3858 days ago) @ Spesh
edited by Grantland, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 14:19

Rees takes a deeper drop and then moves toward the target as he throws. It is a throw with good velocity to devaris (I think) which just misses.

Didn't one of you all point this new improved technique by Rees in the B/G game?

That is, better movement by Rees in dropping back and moving toward the target as opposed to throwing as he was dropping back. Enabling him to square his shoulders and hips to the target and get better velocity and "towards" on his throws.

I would assume this would also lessen the frequency of balls flying on him.

Rees was 3/3 for 115 yards and 2 TD's to start the game

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 07:10 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

Just for shits and giggles, the QB rating on that sample is 642. Seriously.

http://www.primecomputing.com/

For the rest of the game, he was 13/20 for 231 and 1 TD, which is a QB rating of 178. Still really good. Full game numbers give a QB rating of 239. All of this is basically a numerical way of saying Tommy had the best game of his career, and I would guess by a long shot. He's not going to throw for 15 YPA all season, of course, but if he can be anywhere near as efficient as he was against Temple we'll be in very good shape.

--
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

He was fourth in the country last week in QB rating.

by Slainte Joe @, Raleigh, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 07:20 (3859 days ago) @ Brendan

- No text -

That throw analyzed at 2:36

by HullieAndMikes, Yelling at Sam Cane, Dunedin, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 05:38 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

Appears to show a much improved Tommy. I always thought he was bad at those anticipation throws where a window was going to be open but wasn't at the moment when you had to toss it.

That back shoulder fade to TJ around 5:00 also shows new and improved accuracy, but then he follows it up with a bad version to Brown.

Speaking of TJ, he's showing some Golden-esque burst coming out of those bubbles and such.

More reps = better timing

by PAK, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 06:34 (3859 days ago) @ HullieAndMikes

Improved passes on anticipation throws could be an outgrowth of Tommy being handed the job this summer. In most (all?!?) of his previous action, he was pressed into service as somewhat of an emergency option. I am 100% sure he got more reps this summer/fall than '10, '11, or '12.

So does left hand behind the back

by JN, Seattle, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 21:52 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

indicate to the RB in the pistol that he's throwing the bubble? He did it just before the snap on every bubble thrown in that game.

He didn't do it on the first bubble (2nd play)

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 05:48 (3859 days ago) @ JN

I wonder if it's a signal to let him know he's throwing the bubble and the RB needs to pick up a potential blitzer from the middle.

Great catch, though. I don't ever want to play poker with you.

I think he does

by JN, Seattle, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 06:24 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

It's more subtle. It's more to the side than all the way to his backside, but right before he starts the cadence, his left hand goes back (obviously, very hard to see from that angle). Then it comes forward next to his right and he barks and the OLB shows blitz.

I would love to see that packaged play when they run it instead of throwing the bubble. Hopefully he puts his hand back on those plays to and there's a hand signal that only the RB can see. If he only puts his hand back when he's going to throw, then it's only a matter of time (like 3 days) before that play is blown up.

I doubt I'll have time at any point this fall

by Busco21, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 20:53 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

to break these down and give opinions, but after a quick glance....

Hercules scored from a mile out because a Safety (#29) had very little interest in tackling him. And it wouldn't even have been a punishing situation for that Safety. Weak sauce on his part. There are times when tackling a TE (or FB) means you KNOW you are going to feel it for a week. This wasn't one of those times.

Rees overthrow to Nicklas on about his third option... Wish he could have seen his fourth, as The Admiral was running wide open for an easy TD. I don't slam college QB's for this. Most college QB's are lucky to get through two reads. The number of QB's who can go through four or five reads???? Ummm, they are in the HOF.

That play was hilarious.

by PAK, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 04:17 (3859 days ago) @ Busco21

The tacklers looked like a really bad attempt to use the dive button on NCAA to make a tackle. Just guys laying out in random directions and completely missing the ball carrier.

Or like our own secondary under Weis.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 08:51 (3858 days ago) @ PAK

- No text -

Watched it all again, if any of you hate the bubble

by Busco21, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 21:18 (3859 days ago) @ Busco21

you should all feel great right now. There were numerous other opportunities to throw the bubble as a check off.

I like it as a change up now and then. But I'm not a fan of it to the point Tiller took it at Purdue. ND certainly didn't check into it as often as they could have.

I saw the question below, probably should have put this post there. Anyway, if it's two on two, you can throw bubble. If you're good at it (most teams think they are, not that many actually are) you can steal at least five yards. And hopefully more.

It's a great way to take another guy out of the box. But like everything other than beer and sex, it's best used in moderation.

The miss at 2:09 kills me

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 20:25 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

And I hope it kills Michigan again and again on Saturday. I think that one's going to be there. It's a relatively fast-moving play, and the safety can't get over because the outside receiver has cleared the zone. I love that design and think it could be a nice 12-yard pickup over and over for us, until Tommy pumps and goes to somebody else.

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

That route combo is Chuck Martin's favorite

by scriptcomesfirst @, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 21:39 (3859 days ago) @ Greg

He spoke at the clinic when he was still at GVSU and the basic theme of the whole talk was how the slant/wheel combo (or post/wheel or similar iterations) was essentially unstoppable if the QB could make a quick and accurate read. It has been a staple of my passing offense ever since that talk.

And fwiw, it is not "unstoppable" but the defensive adjustments that coaches generally make to take it away leave a big hole elsewhere.

can you explain what makes it unstoppable

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 05:52 (3859 days ago) @ scriptcomesfirst

versus different coverages?

3rd and long situations concern me because I predict a lot of teams will continue to drop 8 and rush 3.

What makes that route combo so successful?

I will give a fuller explanation later when I'm not typing..

by scriptcomesfirst @, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 06:02 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

On my phone from work. In essence, against man coverage it is a natural pick play. Versus a zone, you can put either horizontal pressure (with a flat route) or vertical pressure (with a go) or both (with a wheel) on the player with flat responsibilities. Also against a zone it is fairly easy to determine which route will be open pre-snap.

Even if they pick your play, BOSO is open

by MattG, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 05:56 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

Or QB EAGLES can hit TE JACKSON on the quick slant.

that's one of those drop 8, rush 3 defenses

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 20:37 (3859 days ago) @ Greg

I hope Rees gets better at those. You can see Carlisle running the shallow cross on that one, and later in a similar situation ND runs the same play, but Rees throws it to Carlisle for a gain of 8.

I don't know why, but Weis seemed to use that shallow cross play better. He would often have an outside receiver run his route near the sideline so that when the ball carrier got toward the sideline, the other receiver could throw a block to hopefully spring him for more yards. Fasano's long catch and run TD against Tennessee is the perfect example of that, but it wasn't the only one that worked for Weis.

boy those bubbles to TJ were effective

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 19:48 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

- No text -

No kidding.

by Bill, Murrieta, CA, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 19:52 (3859 days ago) @ Jay

I'm not sure how you even defend that. Kelly needs a draw or something off of that formation to keep opponents from putting a larger bodied defender out there. But Niklas and Smith are going to crush any lightweight perimeter defenders.

it's already built in

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 20:03 (3859 days ago) @ Bill

Watch the RB and OL on those plays. It's a running play packaged to a bubble screen. Rees gets to choose based on the defensive alignment.

Yep, my older son's ability to make that read

by scriptcomesfirst @, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 21:29 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

is the primary reason his team's only lost one game since the 3rd grade (he's in 8th now). That play is pretty tough to defend if you have the players that understand how to execute it.

what a good coach he must have

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 05:48 (3859 days ago) @ scriptcomesfirst

- No text -

Honest to God, I can't take much of the credit

by scriptcomesfirst @, Wednesday, September 04, 2013, 05:51 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

Madden '04 thru Madden '13 taught him more about reading a defense than I ever did. I'll take some credit for play design, but most of that is outright theft.

what do you think Rees is keying on for those?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 20:25 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh
edited by Jay, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 21:30

It's fun to watch these cut-ups, reading the defense, and trying to guess where Tommy's going to go with it.

good question

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 20:33 (3859 days ago) @ Jay

On the first one, the OLB shows his blitz, so that decision must have been easy. Two defenders vs two blockers and a ball carrier. But how do we know whether or not Rees made that decision because of the OLB, or if he had already made his mind based on something else?

There's another one at 3:00, and it's more confusing to me because Daniels is on the boundary side, and there seems to be an obvious defender who will make the play. Still, if Kelly figures it'll still pick up 5 yards, I guess it makes sense. However, the packaged run seems to have better numbers to be more effective.

Speaking of 5 yards

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 20:37 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

I think I counted one completion for fewer than 5 yards -- that sort of inside-screeny thing that went nowhere. Other than that, from memory from a few minutes ago (I'm having a nice Port Brewing Co IPA right now), I think every other completion went for at least 5.

I don't know why that stuck out, but it did on Saturday, did again Sunday when I watched and deleted the DVR recording, and did again tonight.

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

Greg, that play was very close to the legendary

by Busco21, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 21:00 (3859 days ago) @ Greg
edited by Busco21, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 21:21

"Rocket screen"!!!!

(exclamation points for emphasis)

For background, even here in Smallville we call all outside-in screens "Rocket screens".

Kind of cool when you realize a player did a play so well, and a coaching staff implemented a play so well, that anything that looks like it is named after the player.

(for the record, inside out screens by the WR's are all called bubble screens, cuz Joe Tiller did it with everybody)

Edit. Bubbles really aren't screens, they are routes, just thrown behind the line of scrimmage and hopefully still forward. Throwing a bubble backwards..... I think you all know what kind of problems that can cause.

Had to sit down the first time I saw us using packaged plays

by PBurns ⌂ @, Ah Denver, the Sunshine State. Beautiful, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 20:17 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

- No text -

--
Just run 4 verts

Is it possible Daniels was inbounds on that sideline ball?

by Ken Fowler, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 19:25 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

- No text -

unfortunately, the NBC replays showed that

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 19:28 (3859 days ago) @ Ken Fowler

his first foot clearly grazed the sideline, and the second one came down in-bounds.

Gothca. Thanks.

by Ken Fowler, Tuesday, September 03, 2013, 19:37 (3859 days ago) @ Spesh

- No text -