the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

More from Swarbrick on Kelly's extension

by Bill, Southern California, Sunday, September 01, 2013, 17:22

Per Tim Prister's Point After at II:

It was a proud day for Swarbrick as well.

“Notwithstanding the time it took, we spent very little time on details you’ll find in the contract,” Swarbrick said. “We spent a lot of time talking about the vision for the program: how we make sure we’re building the program we all want. It was an ongoing, great discussion.

“It’s a pretty simple contract as these things go. It was signed this week. We were hopeful we could get it signed this week. I didn’t want to go into the season exchanging drafts. So that was always the target.”

Swarbrick said his first target was at the start of training camp, but it didn’t materialize. Now, however, the long-term vision is much clearer.

“It’s the Notre Dame things,” said Swarbrick of the details that needed to be figured out. “We talked about Mass on Friday. How do you (formulate) athletes’ schedules, recruiting…all the things that keep you going strong.

“Are there facility needs that we need to be focused on and a long-range plan? We talked a lot about the stadium work we’re already doing here. Those were the sorts of things we discussed.”

Kelly’s comments earlier in the week and after the game hinted that it has taken time for the powers that be to reach the ultimate goal of a united front.

“No, not at all,” Swarbrick said. “Getting to where we are today, especially after last year, reflected a lot of that. This was more long-term, what we see the program like in three, four, five, six years.”

Tags:
contract, swarbrick

I would love to be a fly on the wall

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Sunday, September 01, 2013, 18:05 @ Bill

during Swarbrick and Kelly's talks about the "future of the program."

really interesting stuff

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Sunday, September 01, 2013, 17:56 @ Bill

He seems pretty invested in the future of ND. I'm revising my outlook: I think he'll coach out his contract at ND, and perhaps beyond.

Was thinking the same thing

by DCT, Sunday, September 01, 2013, 19:06 @ Jay

Holding out strong for a united "vision" for the program sounds like a guy who is interested/vested in this program for the long-term.

It doesn't make much sense to fight that hard for something if he plans on leaving soon.

Hate to say it

by terribletr, Sunday, September 01, 2013, 19:08 @ DCT

But I heard the same stuff when he was coach here at UC.

If that is Kelly's only legacy

by hobbs, San Diego, Sunday, September 01, 2013, 19:34 @ terribletr
edited by hobbs, Sunday, September 01, 2013, 19:54

his value to ND's football history going forward is incalculable. IMO, ND's own internal war has has caused more damage to the program than anything external over the last 25 years.

If Kelly leaves ND in 2/3 years it is that agreement of shared vision, more than any game he wins, will be what sets the foundation for the football program has over the next 10-15 years.

His critics may hate him but Brian Kelly has largely bent ND to his will and now stands poised to shape ND for at least a decade.

BTW, UC's football program today is much better off because they implemented a lot of things that Kelly pushed for while he was there.

Good point on Cincy

by CK08, Monday, September 02, 2013, 00:19 @ hobbs

They beat a B1G team by 35 points this weekend and nobody batted an eye. That would not have been the case 10 years ago (although some credit goes to Dantonio and Jones as well as Kelly).

True, though they did have potential.

by Savage, Around Ye Olde Colonial College, Monday, September 02, 2013, 03:05 @ CK08

You're certainly right -- they were 9-39-2 against the Integer coming into the game, with several of those wins being prehistoric.

But for all we heard about how Cincinnati practically had never played football before Dantonio and Kelly got there, I think that disrespects what Rick Minter did there:

* In 1995 they beat the eventual Sugar Bowl champions 16-0 on the road and lost by 2 to a 10-2 Bill Snyder KSU team and by 5 to a 10-2 Glenn Mason KU team.

* In 1999 they beat the eventual Big 10 champions (in the midst of a 3-9 season)

* In 2002 they lost by a combined 7 points to the undefeated national champions Ohio State and a RichRod era WVU.

* And the next season, in the year Minter got fired, they beat WVU.

I've always found Kelly to be a pretty straight-shooter.

by Bill, Southern California, Sunday, September 01, 2013, 19:05 @ Jay
edited by Bill, Sunday, September 01, 2013, 19:09

I know others feel otherwise. No doubt he likes to 'send messages' and is not above using the media to do that.

But if you look at what it appears that they've been talking about for the past 9 months or so, it almost makes sense that Kelly would take the time to 'explore' the NFL with the Eagles opportunity. If he was looking for ND to make a long term commitment to his vision for the football program, its appropriate for ND to ask that he make sure that he's ready to do the same for them. Absent any knowledge of the NFL, an exploration of what an NFL career would mean for him would be part of any due diligence for Kelly to 'make sure' he's ready to totally vest himself in Notre Dame's future.

I think the bottom line is that there is little reason for Kelly to spend the amount of personal capital he has to be a 'change agent' in regards to the infrastructure of the Notre Dame football program. If he were truly a vagabond, he would focus on the short term and winning football games. But he's pushing for far more institutional change than is necessary for him to take that next step in his career. Instead of simply focusing on the short term, he's nesting.

374368 Postings in 32685 Threads, 204 registered users, 89 users online (0 registered, 89 guests)
Contact