the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

4th play: McCarron to Jones for 27

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:09
edited by Jay, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:17

This is right before the half, with the score 21-0.

It's 3rd & 6, Alabama at the ND 38.

video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Zx0TMuJuLxQ#t=3652s (1:01:40)

Once again Alabama goes to shotgun in a third and long situation.

presnap read:

* Alabama has a 3 WR set which includes Christian Jones in the slot (the eventual receiver)

* ND is in nickel, with Shumate lined up on Jones in the slot.

[image]

presnap shift:

* Norwood will motion across the formation to the left side, which brings Motta down into the box. Farley is playing deep on the boundary hash. Note there is another receiver with Jackson playing press on the bottom of the screen.

[image]

* Te'o will blitz (or perhaps just crashes when he sees the RB stay in for pass pro)

At the snap, the outside receiver (Cooper, I think) will run a short stop route and sit, while Jones runs a deep corner.

[image]

I think Shumate actually keeps up with him pretty well, but McCarron drops a perfect pass to him over the sideline shoulder.

[image]

I'm giving Alabama the lion's share of the credit on this one: Shumate had good recognition and did not get juked, he stayed with him as best he could, but McCarron and Jones simply beat him. Maybe dock Farley some points for not being closer to the play.

McCarron will dump it off to Lacy for the TD on the next play, bringing the score to 28-0 at halftime.

Tags:
cut-ups

Ended up Cover 1

by Busco21, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:35 @ Jay

which is one high Free Safety and man to man underneath. It would have been pretty difficult for the Safety to help out on the sideline, as the play didn't take a long time to develop.

I find it funny that so much has been said by many of us (including me) wishing for more aggressive calls on defense, and this is a perfect example of being aggressive with the pass rush and still having it blow up in your face.

I had my opening speech to our DB's yesterday, and told them again "If the WR runs a great route, the QB throws a great pass, then all we can do is tackle them. We are there to take advantage of any small mistake they make, and make them pay for it. If they don't make mistakes, they win."

Damn we saw alot of that from Bama that night.

Is this an example of Bama taking advantage of our vanilla D

by JN @, Seattle, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 17:55 @ Busco21

Wasn't it an OL that said they knew if they motioned to X then we'd do Y and they could beat us? This seems like a great example of that. There's nothing we can do on this play unless AJ or the WR screw up, once we got in Cover 1.

How many of these plays start with motion that get us into an alignment that cannot possibly stop the play they called? Or am I reading too much into it?

I think it's a valid worry

by Busco21, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 20:19 @ JN

but as I type that, I have to admit my own HS team does the same stuff. If you do this, we do that. If you motion here, we do this. That's how football works for the most part.

The key is being able to adjust on the fly. If they are motioning or formationing you into something that gives them an advantage, you simply have to be smart enough to counter that with an answer.

I'm not saying ND didn't do that, I'm just stating a fact. The best teams, with time to analyze it, put you in a defense they want you in. So, you have to have an answer.

Here in Smallville we only have one regular season game where we are forced to do this. Guess what? It's our favorite game of the year. Every year it produces the conference champion. That's awesome. That's why you coach. For that game when both staffs are getting after it, screwing with each other, manipulating the outcome.

God it's a great game.

I definitely wasn't one asking for a more aggressive defense

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 13:30 @ Busco21

I think the Tenuta effect made me realize that aggression for the sake of doesn't make much sense. And Eric Stratton opened my eyes to the possibility.

I agree about that. We made some things worse, but they

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:47 @ Busco21

played very well. The way they played, we weren't going to win. But we certainly didn't have to lose like that.

what's your take on Farley overall?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:42 @ Busco21

Personally I think we can do a lot better, whether it's by Matthias improving or somebody better beating him out.

He and Shumate

by Busco21, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 11:36 @ Jay

looked improved during the small sample we were able to see them this spring.

I tend to lean toward your opinion that we need them better by fall. Or they are jumped by guys like Redfield.

I was looking at the NFL Prospect Rankings on CBS Sports.com

by FunkDoctorSpock, Your Nightmares, B* tches, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:54 @ Jay

and they have Farley currently ranked as the #1 FS in the 2016 group. I was surprised to see that, and who knows what if anything it means, but there ya go.

Interesting. I have to think it's at least somewhat of a

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:57 @ FunkDoctorSpock

factor that a significant majority of the returning starting safeties at top programs are either academic juniors or seniors going into this season.

The kid is a good athlete and seems like a leader. It will be interesting to watch how he develops and whether he can hold off guys like Redfield.

High throw, ahead of the receiver on a 7 route?

by Buck Mulligan, Martello Tower, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:32 @ Jay

I thought that was A LOUSY PLAY.

I think you nailed it

by Mike (bart), Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:20 @ Jay

alabama was just too good on this one. A large part of our 'Bend But don't Break' ethos is that it is exceedingly difficult for a football team to successfully execute all the way down the field. Eventually, they'll make a mistake, get behind the sticks, etc.

Don't get me wrong: Alabama was always going to get theirs. If we hadn't played poorly on some other snaps, though, we'd have been able to sustain tremendously executed plays like this one. Or if Motta had made some tackles.

I get the feeling McCarron is going to be a good pro

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:26 @ Mike (bart)

A.J. really has a nice touch on the deep ball and is accurate as hell. He led the country in QB rating last year.

I'd like to see what he can do without the best OL unit

by Spesh ⌂ @, Los Angeles, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:33 @ Jay

When you have all the time in the world to make throws without the fear of getting hit, quarterbacking is easy.

Did they lose all five starters? Or just four?

I believe 4 - they still have Cyrus coming back

by Costa Rican @, San Jose in beautiful Costa Rica, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 11:20 @ Spesh

[ No text ]

Steen is back too.

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 12:57 @ Costa Rican

[ No text ]

I agree with this

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 11:19 @ Spesh

The Bama OL might end up having 3 or 4 first rounders ( http://bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?id=156776 ), and that's excluding Barrett Jones. That's impressive.

(BTW, Bama returns 2 OL).
http://capstonereport.com/2013/05/28/alabama-football-offensive-line-has-new-faces-in-2...

I think Jay has a good point too. QBs have to make plays, and AJ does it. It just becomes a little harder when you have to do so under duress.

Against LSU, AJ put up some very pedestrian numbers ( http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=323080099 ), but then again, he led the Tide to a clutch game winning drive.

It was the flipside of the long INT that Golson threw

by Greg, the 'Dena, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 10:26 @ Mike (bart)

He threw it to the right spot. The route was run well. The DB was beat by just enough for the pass to connect for a big gain. But the Bama safety came over an picked it anyway.

They made those plays, great plays, because they were better than we were. This series of posts is making me loathe Baylor more and more.

---
#asshat

The combo play by Clinton-Dix and Millner was insane.

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 13:41 @ Greg

[ No text ]

374367 Postings in 32685 Threads, 204 registered users, 72 users online (1 registered, 71 guests)
Contact