the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

Signees, ND vs Alabama

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, May 30, 2013, 08:51

Haven't had a chart in a while so I whipped this up.

This shows the number of recruits in each signing class for ND and Alabama over a ten year period, along with the five-year totals.

[image]

Alabama has had on average 30 more players signed over a five year period than Notre Dame.

Tags:
charts, recruiting

We're playing a different game than those guys

by Dylan, Santa Barbara, CA, Thursday, May 30, 2013, 09:07 @ Jay

[ No text ]

it's what makes an Ole Miss even sadder

by Pat, Right behind you, Thursday, May 30, 2013, 10:20 @ Dylan

I think they are right up there with Alabama, maybe even higher, when it comes to over-signing players, yet they continually stink.

I really enjoy teams like that. They bend (at least) the

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Thursday, May 30, 2013, 10:21 @ Pat

rules like crazy and still suck. Illinois is another one. They have a track record of all sorts of cheating, yet they never manage to be very good.

What the harumphers don't seem to get...

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Thursday, May 30, 2013, 10:14 @ Dylan

The familiar refrain is "That can't be an excuse - oversigning is the same as it ever was." True, oversigning in various forms has always existed, but college football is most certainly not the same as it ever was. Alabama having 105 players in a four-year period while we have 85 is not the same as Alabama having 150 players in a four-year period while we have 120 (to use a number from Ara's 30-man recruiting classes). It's not even the same as them signing 120 guys in that time frame when we sign 100, going by the roster limits of the late 80's.

Coupling an 85-man roster limit with an at least rudimentary sense of ethics, you basically can't miss on more than one or two kids and still be able to compete at the highest level. Every elite player you recruit has to at least contribute, and every good recruit has to be at least a good player. Meanwhile, Alabama has as much margin of error as it needs. With the talent imbalance, Kelly could actually be a better coach than Nick Saban (gasp!) and would still have a difficult time being competitive. At ND and in the current college football environment (read: SEC schools do whatever the fuck they want), a school like ND or Stanford will be lucky to have a real shot at the national championship once every three or four years. And that's assuming they have an excellent coaching staff, excellent recruiting, and no-worse-than-average attrition.

Which is why I stopped believing ND could ever win again

by Geoff, Thursday, May 30, 2013, 09:23 @ Dylan

Alabama represents all the characteristics of a football factory. Sign more players than you need. Give each player a limited window to develop. If they do not develop quickly, then cut them. Not much different than professional sports teams. Hell, Saban hired numerous "recruiting" assistants. Let's not pretend that Alabama is interesting in educating student athletes.

Contrast this m.o. with ND. Admissions already narrowed the pool of recruits. After accepting a scholarship, ND commits to providing the student athletes an incredible education. If guys do not develop into dominant football players, they remain on scholarship. That's one of the main reasons why last season was so special. ND proved that the football program could succeed the right way.

Of course, Alabama kicked ND's ass up and down the field in the title game. Other than altruism, why would other schools want to follow ND's lead? Far easier to conduct business like Michigan than Stanford.

more on that note

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, May 30, 2013, 09:17 @ Dylan

The Iowa City Gazette got ahold of some emails among B10 coaches reacting to proposed rule changes that would have allowed schools to hire non-coach recruiting directors and staff.

http://thegazette.com/2013/05/29/emails-recruiting-changes-angered-b1g-officials/

Other Big Ten coaches shared similar concerns. In mid-February, Ohio State Coach Urban Meyer sent a text message to Northwestern counterpart Pat Fitzgerald, writing “that there are already teams that have made plans to have separate scouting depts. [sic]. there has already been nfl scouts that have been told they will be hired to run the dept. (hired for over 200k). I checked with an NFL friend and he confirmed that there was much conversation about this. Appealing to scouts because of no travel. Also, there has been movement to hire Frmr players/coaches with big names to work in that dept. and recruit full time. This will all happen immediately once rule is passed. Thought u should be aware if [sic] this nonsense to share with who u feel can assist.”

Meyer’s text was circulated among Big Ten presidents and officials on Feb. 14. The email also included a scholarship offer of a freshman running back, which prompted Fitzgerald to write “This is what’s wrong with recruiting.”

Graham Watson recently linked an Orangebloods article from earlier this year showing how Alabama, among other SEC powers, was already positioning itself to take advantage of the new opportunities.

However, if you want to know who is leading the front on this new era of all-out warfare in college football, look no further than the current Emperor of the Dark Side ? Nick Saban.

In talking with one source about the subject this weekend, I was told, "Alabama is building an army." He wasn't kidding.

While the Gators and Bulldogs each have directors of player personnel, Saban has hired four people specifically for that department alone. He also has added seven "football analysts," an "athletics relations coordinator" and a "recruiting operations coordinator".

All told, Emperor Saban has built a staff that consists of 28 soldiers for football only duty. All of them can be involved in recruiting at all times.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1471121

I think most of the country is

by BPH, San Diego, Thursday, May 30, 2013, 09:14 @ Dylan

I wonder how their signing totals compare to programs like USC, Texas, Michigan and Ohio State. This really is an SEC oversigners vs. everyone else problem.

374384 Postings in 32685 Threads, 204 registered users, 118 users online (9 registered, 109 guests)
Contact